Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 02:37 AM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
You don’t really expect us to treat that video seriously do you? Take a look at the videos on that channel; total anti-EV BS.
I didn’t listen to his other videos but he does make some valid points. Toyota didn’t believe consumers are ready to fully transition to BEVs for a multitude of reasons, and it looks like that was a good call. I don’t see why it makes much of a difference whether you drive a BEV or a PEHV unless you’re an eco-zealot. Over 90% of the time you’ll both be running under electric power. In one case you’ll be hauling an expensive heavy battery around that you’ll never need all the capacity from, and could have been used in 5 PEHVs, but nothing perfect.

Last edited by RRich; 06-11-2024 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:36 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,828 Likes on 993 Posts

Here in Nevada, it isn’t uncommon for EV’s to be completely dead in 2-3 days due to the extreme heat. It also isn’t uncommon for car batteries to need replacement every 2-3 years. My Porsche could sit in California for 6+ months without being driven and start right up without issue (….and I know this from experience when I lived there), but in Nevada my car was dead in a month or two. That was what prompted me to begin using a battery tender. I can’t imagine dealing with heat draining my EV like that.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-11-2024 at 03:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hunky (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 07:01 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Here in Nevada, it isn’t uncommon for EV’s to be completely dead in 2-3 days due to the extreme heat. It also isn’t uncommon for car batteries to need replacement every 2-3 years. My Porsche could sit in California for 6+ months without being driven and start right up without issue (….and I know this from experience when I lived there), but in Nevada my car was dead in a month or two. That was what prompted me to begin using a battery tender. I can’t imagine dealing with heat draining my EV like that.
And yet my personal experience is 100% the opposite. After several trips back to the dealer my 992 lives on a battery tender all the time, but my Polestar is so super reliable and can be left for weeks at a time in all sorts of weather without loosing any charge. Granted I'm in a coastal area so we don't get 100+ very often.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:04 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

And yet my personal experience is 100% the opposite. After several trips back to the dealer my 992 lives on a battery tender all the time, but my Polestar is so super reliable and can be left for weeks at a time in all sorts of weather without loosing any charge. Granted I'm in a coastal area so we don't get 100+ very often.

It’s definitely like a sauna in my garage nearly 100% of the time.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

Why is it so difficult for many EV zealots to understand that pluging in a car to a 240 receptacle every day or two is an impossibility for tens of millions of vehicle owners. EVs work great for some people in certain situations and that is arguably a good thing. It is shocking how angry the EV flagwavers can become as evidenced by their simple minded labeling and name calling when government mandates(control) dictating the short term, rapid conversion to all electric vehicles is questioned that anyone reasonably enlightened on the subject knows is impossible.
Flame suit and helmet on for incoming. "You lousy rotten EV hater!"

Last edited by Hunky; 06-11-2024 at 01:08 PM.
M3Inline6 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 03:17 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Why is it so difficult for many EV zealots to understand that pluging in a car to a 240 receptacle every day or two is an impossibility for tens of millions of vehicle owners. EVs work great for some people in certain situations and that is arguably a good thing. It is shocking how angry the EV flagwavers can become as evidenced by their simple minded labeling and name calling when government mandates(control) dictating the short term, rapid conversion to all electric vehicles is questioned that anyone reasonably enlightened on the subject knows is impossible.
This sounds an awful lot like the people who questioned Covid's origins, and were told to shut up by the liberal establishment who said the Wuhan lab leak theory was impossible. Maybe they are the same people.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

No flame suit needed, the things that gets me going on this subject are all the spurious and nonsensical counter arguments repeated at nauseum. As I said at the start of this 'discussion' change can be hard, and harder for some than others. Give this 10 years and my bet is we'll all look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:35 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 819 Likes on 407 Posts

How many of you EV haters have actually driven and lived with one for any period of time? I don’t mean a couple of days in a rental, I mean for a few weeks? Those of us here arguing their merits are pretty much all EV and ICE vehicle owners and have been for some time.

To me it’s a bit like introducing a kid to new foods. ‘No, no, no’….then taste it and ‘oh, that’s nice….’.
No flame suit needed, the things that gets me going on this subject are all the spurious and nonsensical counter arguments repeated at nauseum. As I said at the start of this 'discussion' change can be hard, and harder for some than others. Give this 10 years and my bet is we'll all look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Nonsensical as in asking folks to drive an EV for a few weeks before making a decision?
Old 06-11-2024, 04:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
Nonsensical as in asking folks to drive an EV for a few weeks before making a decision?
Not at all, my experience is that most people who actually own an EV are not fooled by the endless FUD thrown up by interest groups like the oil industry in defense of ICE vehicles. Once you actually own one the positives are compelling, and not always obvious otherwise. Of course there are situations where they don't work well, which is why the Californian mandate allows up to 20% of light-duty vehicles sold in 2035 to be PHEV's.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:07 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts

Not at all, my experience is that most people who actually own an EV are not fooled by the endless FUD thrown up by interest groups like the oil industry in defense of ICE vehicles. Once you actually own one the positives are compelling, and not always obvious otherwise. Of course there are situations where they don't work well, which is why the Californian mandate allows up to 20% of light-duty vehicles sold in 2035 to be PHEV's.
Like everyone else, California's rules will have to change. They will just be the last to admit it.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:09 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,416 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
​​​​​​
Nah... It's a non issue.

I parked my BMW I4 at th airport last week for 7 days in Phoenix. Average high temperature was 110f, with a few days even hotter.

Left it at 37% charge. It was at 36% when I got back.
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Fishah:
CodyBigdog (06-11-2024), detansinn (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 04:48 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

You Californians are more than welcome to all these ridiculous rules, mandates, taxes, etc. as it sounds as if you are all for and on board with that nonsense. I'll stick with FL where that crap is not shoved down our throats. Here you are free to own and operate EVs if that is your flavor and of course there is no income tax either.
Tupper (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:15 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Respectfully, that’s what they said 15 years ago.

Originally Posted by jmrichards
Like everyone else, California's rules will have to change. They will just be the last to admit it.
The powers that be won’t admit it. They’ll just act like they never tried to institute it. You see how we’ve heard very few, “I was wrong”, statements coming from those who passionately and insultingly judged everybody who questioned the COVID vaccine.

You Californians are more than welcome to all these ridiculous rules, mandates, taxes, etc. as it sounds as if you are all for and on board with that nonsense. I'll stick with FL where that crap is not shoved down our throats. Here you are free to own and operate EVs if that is your flavor and of course there is no income tax either.
Thankfully I was able to move from that state while begrudgingly remaining employed there. It seems I’ll have my toes in California for 13 more years. Ughhhh!
Old 06-11-2024, 10:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

. It is shocking how angry the EV flagwavers can become as evidenced by their simple minded labeling and name calling when government mandates(control) dictating the short term, rapid conversion to all electric vehicles is questioned that anyone reasonably enlightened on the subject knows is impossible.
Think you got it backwards, pal.

There’s a whole cottage industry that sprung up catering to EV haters who vandalize, coal-roll, and park in EV charging spaces just to get a rise. Check it out…YouTube has plenty to choose from.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-11-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:15 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Every time a Cat 4-5 hurricane rolls over Florida, I’ll have you Neanderthals in my thoughts. Not. 😂

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-11-2024 at 10:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (06-12-2024), detansinn (06-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?