Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 08:41 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Out of touch and obviously very angry.

Speaking of out of touch? 😂 😂
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:44 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

If only the EV industry got just a fraction of the trillions of dollars in incentives and tax breaks that the oil industry has gotten over the decades….😱

Hypocrites.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:52 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
If only the EV industry got just a fraction of the trillions of dollars in incentives and tax breaks that the oil industry has gotten over the decades….😱

Hypocrites.
You sound like a guy who needs to calm down and have a drink or take a pill.
Try and understand that everyone is not going to agree with your stance on EVs. Its OK "Pal".

Last edited by Hunky; 06-12-2024 at 08:54 AM.
George from MD (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:01 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

In summary…what the “Neanderthal” crowd seems to object to (the most), are the mandates that by year X, all new cars will be EV or a combination of EV and hybrid.

My own prediction is - like everything Governments do, that objective will be kicked down the road by decades, and X will become Y and Y will become Z. Personally, and as a consumer of EV’s, I’d rather there be more incentives for the buyer, than mandating anything. As I mentioned above, the EV has received generous incentives over the past 10 years, but nothing even remotely approaching what the oil industry has received.

Level the playing field.

But as an EV convert, I think once the EV’s have a significant drop in price (from both Federal incentives + cheaper manufacturing costs passed on to the consumer), and, the infrastructure supporting EV’s is better established…it won’t be long before 1/2 or more of the cars sold are EV’s (or a combination of EV’s and hybrids). Once the scale has been tipped that far, there won’t be a need for mandates….ICE cars will slowly disappear from the manufacturing line.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:02 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

You sound like a guy who needs to calm down and have a drink or take a pill.
Try and understand that everyone is not going to agree with your stance on EVs. Its OK "Pal".
Right back at ya, pal.

Oh, I get that, and when the reasons are sound, I fully understand.
McNamara (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:04 AM
CM991
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
However an EV running on electricity from a fossil fuel power plant is still more energy/carbon efficient than an ICE burning gasoline.
You forgot to add ‘IMO’.

This is the biggest misconception about EVs.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:06 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

In summary…what the “Neanderthal” crowd seems to object to (the most), are the mandates that by year X, all new cars will be EV or a combination of EV and hybrid.

My own prediction is - like everything Governments do, that objective will be kicked down the road by decades, and X will become Y and Y will become Z. Personally, and as a consumer of EV’s, I’d rather there be more incentives for the buyer, than mandating anything. As I mentioned above, the EV has received generous incentives over the past 10 years, but nothing even remotely approaching what the oil industry has received.

But as an EV convert, I think once the EV’s have a significant drop in price (from both Federal incentives + cheaper manufacturing costs passed on to the consumer), and, the infrastructure supporting EV’s is better established…it won’t be long before 1/2 or more of the cars sold are EV’s (or a combination of EV’s and hybrids). Once the scale has been tipped that far, there won’t be a need for mandates….ICE cars will slowly disappear from the manufacturing line.
As an obvious outspoken, aggressive Liberal you should attempt to understand that those who do not share your stance on everything are not stupid, Neanderthals, uneducated, or wrong. Give that a try, you might find life significantly more enjoyable. Good Luck!

Last edited by Hunky; 06-12-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:10 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by CM991
You forgot to add ‘IMO’.

This is the biggest misconception about EVs.
Not a misconception. Lot of independent studies that compare, have shown that EV’s that use electricity derived from hydrocarbon sources, are still more efficient than ICE cars.

But the sources for electricity have been changing, with a number of large power plants converting to renewsal sources. 60% of all electricity in the US comes from fossil fuel sources, with renewable and nuclear energy provides about 40%.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:14 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

As an obvious outspoken, aggressive Liberal you should attempt to understand that those who do not share your stance on everything are not stupid, Neanderthals, uneducated, or wrong. Give that a try, you might find life significantly more enjoyable. Good Luck!
As I said - if the reasons make sense, then that’s fine. if they don’t…then yeah, I’ll refer to these people as Neanderthals. But what i have to laugh at is the hypocracy from the right that have been calling people who buy EV’s everything from leftists, to communists to tree hungers….Karens should appreciate when the shoe is on the other foot. 😎

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:17 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 816 Posts

Cody and others, please stop the childish name-calling (calling forumers here “Neanderthals”). It does nothing to advance your arguments. Any further such posts will be deleted.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
George from MD (06-12-2024), Hunky (06-12-2024), ProEng (06-14-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:23 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tupper
Cody and others, please stop the childish name-calling (calling forumers here “Neanderthals”). It does nothing to advance your arguments. Any further such posts will be deleted.
Just so i am clear…calling a group of people “Neanderthals” is verboten, but calling a group of people “leftists” is OK? On this very forum, EV owners (as a group) have been labeled many derogatory things from ICE people….I have never seen those posts removed. Just sayin’
Old 06-12-2024, 11:15 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 816 Posts

Just so i am clear…calling a group of people “Neanderthals” is verboten, but calling a group of people “leftists” is OK? On this very forum, EV owners (as a group) have been labeled many derogatory things from ICE people….I have never seen those posts removed. Just sayin’
You’re saying nothing. Calling a political movement that’s trying to outlaw ICE in the Western world ‘Leftist’ is not nearly as derogatory (if at all—it’s not an inaccurate term actually) or mean spirited as you calling forumers here ‘Neanderthals’. It’s a false equivalency and totally disingenuous to say that. Please stop. All posts with rude name calling will simply be deleted. Consider yourself warned

Last edited by Tupper; 06-12-2024 at 11:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tupper:
Fishah (06-12-2024), George from MD (06-12-2024), Hunky (06-12-2024), M3Inline6 (06-12-2024), PHX (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 11:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,506 Likes on 5,046 Posts

Folks, can we get this thread back on topic -- i.e., whether Porsche will abandon their hybridization / electrification efforts?

And avoid discussions about the propriety or efficacy of EVs? We can leave that for the off-topic forum over there ----> Off Topic Forum

Also, please avoid name calling and personal attacks. Further transgressions of that nature will result in this thread being locked.

Thank you for understanding.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
You’re saying nothing. Calling a political movement that’s trying to outlaw ICE in the Western world ‘Leftist’ is not nearly as derogatory (if at all—it’s not an inaccurate term actually) or mean spirited as you calling forumers here ‘Neanderthals’. It’s a false equivalency and totally disingenuous to say that. Please stop. All posts with rude name calling will simply be deleted. Consider yourself warned
Actually I find the term 'Leftist' in this context pretty offensive; I consider myself a progressive conservative and not at all left leaning in my politics. This conversation should not be about politics at all, even though some may want to paint it that way, and in my experience folks happy to embrace EV's come from all political persuasions.

But back to the main question; of course Porsche will not walk back this strategy. No more than GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, etc. will. They may moderate their timelines and their rollout plans but the transition is underway and it ain't stopping.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
Bluehighways (06-14-2024), McNamara (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:19 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I knew the police would come.

Here's back on track: In my opinion EVs are a stopgap technology. So, yes, Porsche will walk it back but not to ICE, but to something that is better than EVs.

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?