Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 10:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,254 Posts

For all those that think the EV industry shouldn’t get any Federal subsidies…well, that’s rich. The Federal Government has subsidized the oil industry to the tune of $7 Trillion…that’s trillions, with a capital T. …and nobody on the right blinks a f*cking eye. Total hypocracy. Even our convicted felon ex-President is promising favors, if the oil industry exec’s cough up big money for his campaign. Priceless.

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Article...ord-7-trillion

In sharp contrast, total federal subsidies for EV’s is measured in the 10’s of billions.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-11-2024 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
supershaft (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:59 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,275 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
For all those that think the EV industry shouldn’t get any Federal subsidies…well, that’s rich. The Federal Government has subsidized the oil industry to the tune of $7 Trillion…that’s trillions, with a capital T. …and nobody on the right blinks a f*cking eye. Total hypocracy. Even our convicted felon ex-President is promising favors, if the oil industry exec’s cough up big money for his campaign.

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Article...ord-7-trillion

In sharp contrast, total federal subsidies for EV’s is measured in the 10’s of billions.
That article is hilarious. I especially love this tidbit:

"We estimate that scrapping...fossil-fuel subsidies would prevent 1.6 million premature deaths annually,"
Old 06-11-2024, 11:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fishah
That article is hilarious. I especially love this tidbit:

"We estimate that scrapping...fossil-fuel subsidies would prevent 1.6 million premature deaths annually,"

Yea, cancer is a hoot.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:01 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Yea, cancer is a hoot.
Yes, we know that everything causes cancer in California.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:11 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Yes, we know that everything causes cancer in California.
sorry, not in ca.

but when i did live there, I remember many days like this. So yea, cars pollute. Breath deeply. Back in my youth, a day outside playing sports when the air was this pollutes, was like smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-11-2024 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Have you seen images and videos of the cobalt mines? I could post them here, but honestly it just upsets me too much.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ikone
Have you seen images and videos of the cobalt mines? I could post them here, but honestly it just upsets me too much.
No, it's fine. Nobody gets cancer from mines, and definitely not the slave children.
Ikone (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:32 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

yes, not good. But your point is a false equivalency.

First, people that had to breathe such polluted air in SoCal, were unwilling participants. Children didn’t sign up to get their lungs f*cked up. They weren’t on the automotive/oil industry pay roll. But many that go into these minds, do so because they chose to work in the mines…just as coal miners in the US still do. But some mines do provide their workers with PPE and respirator equipment. But it still has a long way to go before it becomes safer than it is today..

Finally, Cobalt-free batteries for EV;s are already on the market: LFP and other chemistries are likely to eliminate the use of Cobalt.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-11-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:35 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

First, people that had to breathe such polluted air in SoCal, were unwilling participants. Children didn’t sign up to get their lungs f*cked up. They weren’t on the automotive/oil industry pay roll. But those that go into the minds, do so because they chose to work in the mines…just as coal miners in the US still do. But some mines do provide their workers with PPE and respirator equipment. But it still has a long way to go before it becomes safer than it is today.
Man. You have got to be kidding me! It's slave labor.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...siddharth-kara

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...-electric-cars

Don't be blind to what's really going on, only to justify your own thoughts.
George from MD (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:36 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

First, people that had to breathe such polluted air in SoCal, were unwilling participants. Children didn’t sign up to get their lungs f*cked up. They weren’t on the automotive/oil industry pay roll. But those that go into the minds, do so because they chose to work in the mines…just as coal miners in the US still do. But some mines do provide their workers with PPE and respirator equipment. But it still has a long way to go before it becomes safer than it is today.
Yes they have a choice to work in the mines or starve, or worse.

Your privilege is showing hard here 😳 Totally out of touch.

​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by Fishah:
George from MD (06-12-2024), Hunky (06-12-2024), Ikone (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Man. You have got to be kidding me! It's slave labor.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...siddharth-kara

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...-electric-cars

Don't be blind to what's really going on, only to justify your own thoughts.
Your comparison is moot, as cobalt is being phased out of EV batteries. But not trying to downplay the horrendous side of using child slave labor. But it’s a practice that has been around for centuries for many commodities besides Cobalt. Ultimately, international, national and economic pressure needs to be put on the companies that control these mines…inorder for things to change.

How many coal miners in this country had to die, before pressure was put on the greedy mine owners to change safety standards? Even NOW, black lung disease is often deadly for those that venture down into the mines.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

So, as EV batteries move to LFP, and other battery chemistries, the demand for Cobalt will precipitously drop and many children/people will be left without any livelihood….for better, or for worse, things will return to how it was before EV’s. These cobalt mines won’t disappear, and will still be unsafe, and child labor will still be used…just on a smaller scale. But what will change, is that EV’s won’t be the scape goat for what goes on in these Cobalt mines.

​​​​​
if you want to play the insult game, we can go there if you would like? But EV battery technology is literally changing overnight, and how they built EV batteries last year, will not be how they build EV batteries, tomorrow.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 12:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (06-12-2024), McNamara (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

So, as EV batteries move to LFP, and other battery chemistries, the demand for Cobalt will precipitously drop and many children/people will be left without any livelihood….for better, or for worse, things will return to how it was before EV’s. These cobalt mines won’t disappear, and will still be unsafe, and child labor will still be used…just on a smaller scale. But what will change, is that EV’s won’t be the scape goat for what goes on in these Cobalt mines.

if you want to play the insult game, we can go there if you would like? But EV battery technology is literally changing overnight, and how they built EV batteries last year, will not be how they build EV batteries, tomorrow.
"The insult game"? You mean like calling everyone who lives in Florida "Neanderthals"? Ain't that a pickle. Thought we were deplorables.
PHX (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:32 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

​​​​​
Out of touch and obviously very angry.
M3Inline6 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hunky
"The insult game"? You mean like calling everyone who lives in Florida "Neanderthals"? Ain't that a pickle. Thought we were deplorables.
“Everyone”?

I didn’t. Only those who believe as “YOU” do. learn to read.

”deplorable’s”?

Might be? If the shoe fits.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-12-2024 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (06-12-2024), detansinn (06-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?