Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 08:35 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG1121
Speed wars are over. An iconobox electric toyota will destroy ICE cars. Its not about speed anymore and manufacturers are missing this point in this segment. Bring emotion which will always sell. Think mechanical vs apple watch.
You're probably correct. The most recent Chevrolet Equinox EV, as one example, has a range that exceeds 300 miles and after the tax credits has an OTD cost in the mid $30's. It's not a small car/suv and It's getting really nice reviews, except that it''s acceleration is not what the authors of the articles think an EV should have. Never-the-less it'll blow anything ICE powered in its market segment into the dust. So it's not slow by any means.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:51 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Speed wars are over. . It's not about speed anymore and manufacturers are missing this point in this segment. .
Realistically, speed wars is just a pissing contest... who the hell ever took their car to 190mph ? There are no tracks here where you can reach that speed.
What people want is acceleration, but to get that you needed a big engine that gave you a top speed, that you could brag about but never actually experience

Hybrid can give you an engine tuned to get a "good" speed and fill in with electric torque to give you great acceleration. Thats what "feels" fun to most people and what you can experience every day
Old 06-03-2024, 10:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Transportation is only 29 percent of the pollution and it does not just include cars . Heavy duty trucks and buses are also included . Those heavy duty vehicles only comprise 4 percent of thew road yet emit 25 percent of vehicle pollution . Next in line is residential and commercial which comprises MORE than vehicles (31 percent ) . Industry is yet another 30 percent and agriculture makes up the last 10 percent .

Yet when it comes to the forced feeding it's thrown at the individual by legislators who are driving enthusiasts . Mind you that just to build the infrasctrucre would require more pollution . How much more ? It depends how far legislators want to go . Keep in mind that all of us are adults so the time to accomplish anything significant might just outlive us . By then there will be something else to fixate on .
Yes, so 29% of the problem should be ignored? Trucks and buses are also going through the same pressures. And so is residential, commericial, and industry. I’m reminded of a certain US President who set a goal 1/2 a century ago not because it is easy, but because it is hard. No-one said weening humans off fossil fuels will be easy,
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
Bluehighways (06-04-2024), forbiddenbeat (06-10-2024), spdracerut (06-08-2024), The Pinkoboe (06-10-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 10:38 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
For the EV deniers please look up the word "Luddite." Also please do a bit of research. Even if you're electrical utility is coal fired, the total CO2 emissions per mile will be far less than operating an ICE powered vehicle. Don't even start with the costs of maintenance. An EV needs tires and wiper blades. So far, folks are reliably getting well over 200,000 miles with only a 12% loss of range out of the early Tesla batteries. Don't knock it, look it up. You have a computer if you're on line here. Don't take the Woke perspective at its face value, use Google and educate yourself. Opinions are bankrupt without some real world experience.
We have a 31 panel solar array. It runs our house, our EV and our Plug-in Hybrid (which rarely sees a gas station because of its 30+ mile electric only capability) AND now is generating a small income from SDG&E. In a bit over 3 years it has returned 100% of my investment and since last March I'm now ahead of that game for what is estimated to be another 17 years of 90%+ of their original production.
I am really hoping that the replacement Cayman EV is everything the ICE Cayman has been, except that it's 100% electric. If it is, I'm a buyer.
Once you've had an EV, for about a year or so, you honestly begin to wonder why you'd ever buy an ICE powered car or truck ever again. I really like my 992 C2S and my ICE powered motorcycles, but they really are yesterdays news.
The engineering behind the 2025 GTS drive-train is nice. However, it's nothing new. At one time I had a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, that got me in the carpool lane and I drove the wheels off of it. Same engineering design in every way . . . except for the ICE engines power output and the Honda had a smaller Battery: 1.05 kWh vs 1.9 kWh in the GTS. So the GTS is, for me, a nothing new here, please move right along, next customer, been there and done that, sort of thing.
FWIW the cheapest Premium Gasoline around here is $4.99/Gallon at Costco. My electrical cost is negative $$$, it's a profit center for me.
I suspect the real game changer for Porsche in the EV space will be the next Boxster/Cayman. Pretty sure it’ll make most of the current 911 range (the non-GT ones anyway) feel very old overnight.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:08 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Speed wars are over. An iconobox electric toyota will destroy ICE cars. Its not about speed anymore and manufacturers are missing this point in this segment. Bring emotion which will always sell. Think mechanical vs apple watch.
An emotional mechanical watch costs orders of magnitude more and is appreciated by orders of magnitude fewer people. So, the analogy is apt. Most people don’t care. The ones that remain will pay $300k+ for a GT car. Folks are paying $500k for an S/T which is bat****. Or go to another marque entirely
Old 06-03-2024, 11:16 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
My Defender is an MHEV but you'd hardly know it during operation or in the way it's marketed. The fact that the 911 is now an MHEV is really not that big a deal.

100 something pound penalty is a bummer, but only barely noticeable on cars with even power and on a car with more power and greater responsiveness - will likely not be noticeable at all.

I would not be shocked to hear that the new one ends up feeling like a faster, quicker feeling version of the same car. I think the big philosophical transition was moving away from NA to FI, not adding on an MHEV unit. Once people get real miles on the new car, I'm going to bet they quickly forget the old FI motor. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
💯 this. The transition was to FI, and it already happened across the entire non-GT line up 4 years ago. Hybrid turbo cars sound just as bad or good as regular turbo cars across most of their operating range. The artura and 296 sound way better than any 991 or 992 turbo 911. Electrons didn’t ruin their emotion.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:21 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
I suspect the real game changer for Porsche in the EV space will be the next Boxster/Cayman. Pretty sure it’ll make most of the current 911 range (the non-GT ones anyway) feel very old overnight.
Making a street legal Mission R will obsolete the entire 992 product space. Over 1,000hp at 3300#. No, the tech isn’t there yet, but that’s where things are headed. And after that 4 independent motors with torque vectoring. Things will get silly. Slowly, and then quickly.

Sure, some folks will buy $400K+ GT cars for nostalgia. But they’ll get smoked on and off the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
aggie57 (06-04-2024), Bluehighways (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:45 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Long time Carrera owner here. I thought it was interesting in the official video where P introduces the 992.2 that they first introduced the non-hybrid base car and then proceeded to sell us on the merits of a far more powerful but heavier and far more complex hybrid variant as the wave of the future. It made me wonder whether they are 'testing the waters' with P enthusiasts to see what the uptake will be. The P Carrera ethos has always been about lightness, nimbleness and doing 'more with less'. Has hybridization/electrification already been decided for the sportiest cars, think GT department? Cramming technology and horsepower into ever heavier cars and then advertising via YouTubers in 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile rolling acceleration tests how 'good' your car is, well that just doesn't seem like the Porsche of old that has made racing history for so long. Thoughts??
Short answer....No. Germans NEVER admit they F'd up. I've worked for 5 different German companies in 37 years. They're all EXACTLY the same. We all love what they develop for the most part, they do it better than most, but they make major mistakes just like everyone else, the only difference is that they're fiercely stubborn ****** that never admit they screwed up.
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (06-14-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:19 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
Short answer....No. Germans NEVER admit they F'd up. I've worked for 5 different German companies in 37 years. They're all EXACTLY the same. We all love what they develop for the most part, they do it better than most, but they make major mistakes just like everyone else, the only difference is that they're fiercely stubborn ****** that never admit they screwed up.
I spent my career working for American and Japanese OEM's. Not much of a difference except that before corrective action can be taken the Japanese manager who oversaw a known issue must: 1.) Die, 2.) Be promoted/transferred elsewhere in the company or 3.) Must leave the employment of the company for some undisclosed reason. Never ever can that person loose face. Here in America, with Sloan Distributed Management systems, it gets even better. No one is to blame, maybe a department or a division, but never an individual.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-04-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:54 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 654 Likes on 423 Posts

Finally, an interesting thread here on RL.

I don't think they will. I do, however, think they will limit or slow the hybrid 'angle' of the 911 production and possibly roll back to some ICE cars in a trim model line and other hybrid or full electric trim model line(s).

I guess somewhat like what GM has done with the Corvette. But a larger spread.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:41 PM
jmrichards
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, so 29% of the problem should be ignored? Trucks and buses are also going through the same pressures. And so is residential, commericial, and industry. I’m reminded of a certain US President who set a goal 1/2 a century ago not because it is easy, but because it is hard. No-one said weening humans off fossil fuels will be easy,
As someone who spent 36 years in energy finance, all I can say is people who say things like this have no idea how much new power generation/distribution/retail infrastructure would be required to come anywhere close to the goals some countries/states have set. Oh, and the very same "greens" pushing these goals don't want anymore generation or new transmission lines to be built. Watch for more announcements like Mercedes that ICE cars will be around much longer. And also watch for more states to back away from the ludicrous California pledge to eliminate anything but EV cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by jmrichards:
Airbag997 (06-10-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-06-2024), Joe250 (06-13-2024), M3Inline6 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 09:53 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
As someone who spent 36 years in energy finance, all I can say is people who say things like this have no idea how much new power generation/distribution/retail infrastructure would be required to come anywhere close to the goals some countries/states have set. Oh, and the very same "greens" pushing these goals don't want anymore generation or new transmission lines to be built. Watch for more announcements like Mercedes that ICE cars will be around much longer. And also watch for more states to back away from the ludicrous California pledge to eliminate anything but EV cars.
And Mercedes AMG reversing off smaller engines vs classic V8, realizing their customers were no longer interested. We were proud AMG C63S owners (2017 Sedan and 2018 cabriolet) but as soon as Mercedes downsized the motors, we moved on.

To be fair we already had our sights on upgrading to Porsche anyway. 😊

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/amg...Autocar%20says.

Old 06-06-2024, 10:52 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmrichards
You mean like the infrastructure and industry that needed to be built and maintained to enable ICE vehicle use as we’ve known it for the last century? You’re right though, not everyone acknowledges the massive transformation needed; change is hardly ever easy, less so for some than others.
Bluehighways (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:03 PM
jmrichards
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

You mean like the infrastructure and industry that needed to be built and maintained to enable ICE vehicle use as we’ve known it for the last century? You’re right though, not everyone acknowledges the massive transformation needed; change is hardly ever easy, less so for some than others.
Apparently Virginia got the message:

The following 3 users liked this post by jmrichards:
C21ban (06-08-2024), Hunky (06-09-2024), Ikone (06-07-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:28 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,672 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Remember when the rest of the world went diesel ? Electrification has been a worldwide effort to skew data by a group of opportunists to mislead the average person into believing that they want to save polar bears , In the meantime they have done nothing to curtail other forms of pollution . Right now gas is cheap, and is readily available , and no one has done anything meaningful to implement an EV infrastructure . In fact even without mass EV look at places like Texas where a cold snap fried the system or California where a heat wave took out theirs . As it is the extra weight load of EV cars will chew up our roads and bridges but one one talks about that .

I have no issue buying an EV if it were a choice but that has not been the case .
Agreed 100%! It’s interesting to read comments from a few who can’t see the EV mandates are about control, not the environment. Electricity can be controlled just like oil. Make no mistake about it. It’s coming.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-08-2024 at 01:39 AM.
WCGhost (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?