Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 12:08 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, so 29% of the problem should be ignored? Trucks and buses are also going through the same pressures. And so is residential, commericial, and industry. I’m reminded of a certain US President who set a goal 1/2 a century ago not because it is easy, but because it is hard. No-one said weening humans off fossil fuels will be easy,
For many of us, the question is how you plan to ween people. Do you expect private enterprise to build better vehicles that will compete in free markets, and encourage people to change their minds and buying habits? Or do you feel justified in some level of coercion if not force? We have seen plenty of despots throughout human history who fought to ween people off of some "undesired" beliefs and preferences, based on whatever righteous ideology they promoted.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:24 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,766 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
For many of us, the question is how you plan to ween people. Do you expect private enterprise to build better vehicles that will compete in free markets, and encourage people to change their minds and buying habits? Or do you feel justified in some level of coercion if not force? We have seen plenty of despots throughout human history who fought to ween people off of some "undesired" beliefs and preferences, based on whatever righteous ideology they promoted.
It is extremely unlikely without a very heavy handed approach on behalf of the government OR a battery charging infrastructure that is as convenient as pulling up to the pump; charge times around the 10 minute range (…and 400+ mile ranges while running A/C). If there were charging stations on nearly every corner of every city in the country, we might find that sufficient to satisfy the people who would buy/drive an EV if not for range anxiety. That hypothetical, however, would usher in other issues the virtuous haven’t considered (….think the “defund the police” camp and the mess they created, only to walk it back and beg for more police…..*cough* San Francisco….*cough* Minneapolis ). There would still exist a large segment of the population who just aren’t interested in EV’s and those who don’t like the politics associated with EV’s…..both groups who would push back on ideology alone.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-13-2024 at 12:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
Hunky (06-13-2024), jmrichards (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:41 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

What ever happened to the next ice age we were moving into during the 70s or so it was declared by our political ruling class and Cal Berkley whack jobs. Yeah, that was around the time we were told that the worlds oil wells had all dried up the first time around, oil crisis #1 only to happen again and repeat as an instrument of manipulation in about ten years.
Yesiree Bob, we were all going to freeze to death if we didn't follow the orders of our political betters who surely knew exactly what was transpiring and what we all should do.
Oh well, that was a long time ago and now our oceans are boiling or so we are told by the learned elite. The climate can change wildly like this in 50 years, right?

Last edited by Hunky; 06-13-2024 at 09:44 AM.
M3Inline6 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:52 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Good chit….

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-map...change-1884672

…..and this doesn’t even include the massive flooding in places like SoFla experiences during major storms (like what’s going on right now).

But I will have the “Neanderthal’s” , that deny global warming is a real thing, in my thoughts. 😂 😎

As Trump recently said in a Faux News interview: He looks forward to global warming, as it will “produce more beach front” (yes, he really said that).
Old 06-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Good chit….

…..and this doesn’t even include the massive flooding in places like SoFla experiences during major storms (like what’s going on right now).

But I will have the “Neanderthal’s” , that deny global warming is a real thing, in my thoughts. 😂 😎

As Trump recently said in a Faux News interview: He looks forward to global warming, as it will “produce more beach front” (yes, he really said that).
I believe in Global Warming, not a Trumper, and I don't think EVs are the answer. Now what?
Old 06-13-2024, 03:06 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Good chit….

Yeah, no where else gets heavy rain, only South Florida. Keeps all of us Neanderthals well hydrated.
Good to know that anyone who questions "Global Warming" is a Neanderthal. Nice to be clear on these issues.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-13-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:18 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hunky
Yeah, no where else gets heavy rain, only South Florida. Keeps all of us Neanderthals well hydrated.
Good to know that anyone who questions "Global Warming" is a Neanderthal. Nice to be clear on these issues.

hey Karen, enjoy the rain…
Ikone (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:58 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,766 Likes on 952 Posts

What ever happened to the next ice age we were moving into during the 70s or so it was declared by our political ruling class and Cal Berkley whack jobs. Yeah, that was around the time we were told that the worlds oil wells had all dried up the first time around, oil crisis #1 only to happen again and repeat as an instrument of manipulation in about ten years.
Yesiree Bob, we were all going to freeze to death if we didn't follow the orders of our political betters who surely knew exactly what was transpiring and what we all should do.
Oh well, that was a long time ago and now our oceans are boiling or so we are told by the learned elite. The climate can change wildly like this in 50 years, right?

Yeah, Los Angeles was supposed to be under water a long time ago. Florida should be looking like a Walking Dead set piece by now. We aren’t supposed to have any ice caps or glaciers currently either. Thank goodness the year 2000 computer shutdown really set us straight. Oh wait!

Gore and all of the other climate zealots just need(ed) something to facilitate their long-term goals, and nothing strikes at emotions more than believing we’re all going to die in 5 years …..or that race is the primary predictor of how successful a person will become (…which isn’t to suggest that I don’t believe the climate changes, after all, it always has and it always will).

Other fun fact…..

​​​​​…..Waymo’s self driving cars operating in Arizona have been recalled after a software bug caused one to drive straight into a pole. Thankfully nobody was in the motor vehicle.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-13-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Hunky (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:41 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 180 Posts

Climate / pollution aside....

It would be nice if once in my life Middle East politics didn't have such a direct effect on my monthly overhead.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Yeah, Los Angeles was supposed to be under water a long time ago.
Fake news.

Florida should be looking like a Walking Dead set piece by now.
Fingers crossed. 🤞 Although, with nearly 1/4 of Florida residents older than 65, ya never know about the “walking dead” observation.

We aren’t supposed to have any ice caps or glaciers currently either.
More lies.

Too much Faux.

Gore and all of the other climate zealots just need(ed) something to facilitate their long-term goals, and nothing strikes at emotions more than believing we’re all going to die in 5 years …..
Na, just the “Neanderthals”. 👍

Other fun fact…..

​​​​​…..Waymo’s self driving cars operating in Arizona have been recalled after a software bug caused one to drive straight into a pole. .

OMG, stop the rightwing presses…RE: “high tech company has software problems.” I’ve had multiple nagging rattles in my 911….should it be recalled?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-13-2024 at 08:01 PM.
Ikone (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Ah, the old carrot or stick question. To me this is not about ideologies, others may see it that way but I don't. To me this is about logic and it makes zero sense to depend on millions of inefficient and polluting generators just so we can buy our weekly groceries or go to the movies, when there are options that are better for us and the planet on so many levels.

Here's the funny thing though; as mentioned some time ago once you have experience owning and operating an EV it's really hard to go back.
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
Bluehighways (06-14-2024), CodyBigdog (06-13-2024), RingoDingo (06-18-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:03 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Yeah, Los Angeles was supposed to be under water a long time ago. Florida should be looking like a Walking Dead set piece by now. We aren’t supposed to have any ice caps or glaciers currently either. Thank goodness the year 2000 computer shutdown really set us straight. Oh wait!

Gore and all of the other climate zealots just need(ed) something to facilitate their long-term goals, and nothing strikes at emotions more than believing we’re all going to die in 5 years …..or that race is the primary predictor of how successful a person will become (…which isn’t to suggest that I don’t believe the climate changes, after all, it always has and it always will).

Other fun fact…..

​​​​​…..Waymo’s self driving cars operating in Arizona have been recalled after a software bug caused one to drive straight into a pole. Thankfully nobody was in the motor vehicle.
Funny how none of these end of the world, under water, no more air to breath, oceans are boiling, blah, blah, blah, BS scenarios ever come to be. Wouldn't be because the whack job college professors and EPA pencil necks who force this crap on us are full of sheet would it? Naaaaaaaahhhhhh!
M3Inline6 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by aggie57
Ah, the old carrot or stick question. To me this is not about ideologies, others may see it that way but I don't. To me this is about logic and it makes zero sense to depend on millions of inefficient and polluting generators just so we can buy our weekly groceries or go to the movies, when there are options that are better for us and the planet on so many levels. Here's the funny thing though; as mentioned some time ago once you have experience owning and operating an EV it's really hard to go back.
I prefer siphoning the trillions in subsidies, that the oil industry has gotten from tax payers over the years, and using it to promote EV manufacturing and charging infrastructure. If the free market folks want the market to determine winners and losers, then stop subsidizing the oil industry…a practice that has been on going for decades, despite the oil industry annually setting record profits.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-13-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Bluehighways (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Funny how none of these end of the world, under water, no more air to breath, oceans are boiling, blah, blah, blah, BS scenarios ever come to be. Wouldn't be because the whack job college professors and EPA pencil necks who force this crap on us are full of sheet would it? Naaaaaaaahhhhhh!
Funny how Neanderthals continue to lie and exaggerate the facts. But be sure to give your fake theories to those who have had their houses, or cars, destroyed in floods or strong storms…storms that experts say are getting stronger, and more frequent. But what do experts know?? We should listen to the Neanderthals. In the final analysis, it’s revealing to see that major insurance agencies have pulled out, or significantly increased premiums, in storm prone states like Florida. That’s a relatively new phenomena, over the past decade, or two, as storms have gotten stronger and /or more frequent. But what do they know??

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-13-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:23 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Funny how Neanderthals continue to lie and exaggerate the facts. But be sure to give your fake theories to those who have had their houses, or cars, destroyed in floods or strong storms…storms that experts say are getting stronger, and more frequent. But what do experts know?? We should listen to the Neanderthals.
Yes indeed, experts like yourself.
The strongest hurricanes here in Florida were many years ago but I'm sure you will dismiss that along with anything else that pushes your buttons as "fake news".
Do you ever have a good day?

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?