Notices

Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 11:40 AM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Long time Carrera owner here. I thought it was interesting in the official video where P introduces the 992.2 that they first introduced the non-hybrid base car and then proceeded to sell us on the merits of a far more powerful but heavier and far more complex hybrid variant as the wave of the future. It made me wonder whether they are 'testing the waters' with P enthusiasts to see what the uptake will be. The P Carrera ethos has always been about lightness, nimbleness and doing 'more with less'. Has hybridization/electrification already been decided for the sportiest cars, think GT department? Cramming technology and horsepower into ever heavier cars and then advertising via YouTubers in 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile rolling acceleration tests how 'good' your car is, well that just doesn't seem like the Porsche of old that has made racing history for so long. Thoughts??
The new European laws forced them into this. They may be able to get a waiver for GT3 models. Look at other euro performance cars and you will see the same thing happening. In some higher volume cars (ie. SUVs) they will be able to justify different motors for the US market.
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 02:21 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 482 Posts

Only if the EU collapses.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,396 Likes on 5,005 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Only if the EU collapses.
Careful.

That's almost like spitting into the wind.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:44 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Sorry had a plaid Model S for 6 months, fastest car ever and handled like a dream with immediate torque vectoring on back roads it was simply insane...
Guess what... traded it in for a slower v8 turbo M8 Comp... Why??? Because the silence and the Tesla's lack of soul killed me and I couldn't deal with it...
It's a freaking appliance and life is too short, not to enjoy mechanical things that make nice sounds
The following 8 users liked this post by catdog2:
chance6 (06-08-2024), CM991 (06-12-2024), elvisdoc (06-14-2024), Gary12000 (06-03-2024), Ikone (06-03-2024), jlegelis (06-03-2024), VintageRacer (Yesterday), WernerE (06-10-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2024, 02:55 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 745 Posts

Public transportation is not as fancy as "stern" environmental laws. That would decrease emissions but also oil dependency.

Also, cows emit a lot of methane, far worse than CO2. A lot of the world cattle is not commercial. Just saying, one big bbq and we can use gas for longer...
Old 06-03-2024, 03:05 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Correct, but I thought if you have enough Taycans and hybrid/electric SUVs you could continue to build a smaller number of ICE cars for enthusiasts, think Corvette and Ferrari V12.
Smaller number of ICE cars, yes. Think GT series cars. Porsche will make those who really want them to wait for them and pay for them.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:02 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

As someone else said - MHEV has been around a long time. My LR Defender is a MHEV. Its a Turbo MHEV and its a great SUV. Rock solid. I don't plug it in. TBH i didnt even know it was MHEV when i started looking at them.

I am not sure I understand the hysteria around Porsche's. Porsche had this in the GTR, the 918. People then revert to politics or blah blah blah - to get stubborn. This is where its going. I am not sure I see the downside - apart from some extra weight. The GTS is 100lbs more. Its still lighter than a TTS. You wanna strip out some creature comforts and you'd be at par very easily. But the Porsche buyer (buy and large if you take out GT3's) agonizes over FAL, deviated stitching, 18 ways, Burmester, full leather interior much more so than weight etc. Then they detail them endlessly and drive sparingly due to depreciation worries. We're becoming like F car buyers. When I bought my first few 911's - they were miles away from having creature comforts. The AC barely worked, they leaked (my targa), the heater was crude, plastic dashes etc.

I am looking fwd to driving one. I predict it will be a quantum leap fwd in mostly a good way. I think with 530HP+ and no "lag" down low - it will be really good as a street car. Now it wont be better than a GT3 or RS on the track. But that's not what i need day to day.

and as someone said above - I expect Porsche to have a good build quality and be more reliable than "alternatives" like the Artura for day to day driving.

Last edited by rodsky; 06-03-2024 at 04:04 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by rodsky:
AlexCeres (06-03-2024), DrKarlB (06-03-2024), Gary12000 (06-03-2024), rasetsu (06-03-2024), TXSchnee (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 04:54 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Public transportation is not as fancy as "stern" environmental laws. That would decrease emissions but also oil dependency.

Also, cows emit a lot of methane, far worse than CO2. A lot of the world cattle is not commercial. Just saying, one big bbq and we can use gas for longer...
I am in metro NYC - we have loads of public transit here - many people now refuse to use it because of fear of crime, homelessness, disease spreading even. I wouldn't get on a subway train today for any amount of money.
WCGhost (06-08-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 05:10 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I am in metro NYC - we have loads of public transit here - many people now refuse to use it because of fear of crime, homelessness, disease spreading even. I wouldn't get on a subway train today for any amount of money.
Actually that makes my point. Investment in new and current public transportation. Keep the current up to date and safe with new lines. That goes beyond the city but the scarcity of trains between metros is also ridiculous in a country this big. The lack of investment allows for share driving platforms, crowding cities and likely shortening the ICE lifespan. Soon most city centers will charge to drive like London.

Also, the factories love this type of legislation. Keeps them changing with all the new crap to sell. In the 70's Porsche was in bad shape bc Germans didn't see the point in trading their relatively reliable cars into another one looking the same. Couldn't Porsche develop this GTS setup for the MY17? I'll bet they did and left it in the shelf for future updates ($$$). Car development is sometimes 10-15 years ahead of public view.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:20 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,259 Likes on 636 Posts

nope. and people act like its just regulation related. Not the case. Whether you like it or not hybrid/ev are going to be necessary as long as motorsport enthusiasts continue to get excited by improved performance and faster times. On ICE alone we are deep in to the curve of diminishing returns. On EV/Hybrid we are still in the beginning of that curve.

Enter the comment: "Nobody needs that kind of performance on the street, we already have plenty"

Problem: Are you going to pay $200k+ for a Porsche that gets smoked in any performance category by cars less than 50% of that price? Because thats the future if Porsche were to stick with ICE only while others dont.

Conclusion: Both regulation and performance pushing all OEMs to pursue these technologies. Nobody is going to ignore it. Consumer will end up with more efficient and higher performing vehicles. Only people that lose are those of us that will bemoan the lack of ability to buy a brand new car with manual transmission and vehicles that feel pure to some undefined standard that we all love.
The following 3 users liked this post by slc4s:
Gary12000 (06-03-2024), Larson E. Rapp (06-03-2024), Tedster (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 05:55 PM
swisman
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while I think the new 992.2 GTS mild hybrid is very interesting. I want to test drive when available &
a prudent step for Porsche, as opposed to EV only.
However, IMO the concept of EV's reducing CO2 is flawed. While I understand the fact that you don't fill up at a gas station.
If you think you're "saving the Planet". I think you are misinformed...plus the government agenda doesn't give you all the facts.
Until electric power generation is 100% nuclear/renewables...Co2 emissions will continue to rise with all of our technology that requires ever greater electricity.
AI data centers will only add to that...as they are huge power consumers.
Most of our power plants burn fossil fuels...but it's out of sight, out of mind.
Gary12000 (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 06:40 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by swisman
while I think the new 992.2 GTS mild hybrid is very interesting. I want to test drive when available &
a prudent step for Porsche, as opposed to EV only.
However, IMO the concept of EV's reducing CO2 is flawed. While I understand the fact that you don't fill up at a gas station.
If you think you're "saving the Planet". I think you are misinformed...plus the government agenda doesn't give you all the facts.
Until electric power generation is 100% nuclear/renewables...Co2 emissions will continue to rise with all of our technology that requires ever greater electricity.
AI data centers will only add to that...as they are huge power consumers.
Most of our power plants burn fossil fuels...but it's out of sight, out of mind.
Obviously it would be better if the electricity came from a carbon free source.

However an EV running on electricity from a fossil fuel power plant is still more energy/carbon efficient than an ICE burning gasoline.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike818:
CodyBigdog (06-11-2024), The Pinkoboe (06-10-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 07:26 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,233 Posts

For the EV deniers please look up the word "Luddite." Also please do a bit of research. Even if you're electrical utility is coal fired, the total CO2 emissions per mile will be far less than operating an ICE powered vehicle. Don't even start with the costs of maintenance. An EV needs tires and wiper blades. So far, folks are reliably getting well over 200,000 miles with only a 12% loss of range out of the early Tesla batteries. Don't knock it, look it up. You have a computer if you're on line here. Don't take the Woke perspective at its face value, use Google and educate yourself. Opinions are bankrupt without some real world experience.
We have a 31 panel solar array. It runs our house, our EV and our Plug-in Hybrid (which rarely sees a gas station because of its 30+ mile electric only capability) AND now is generating a small income from SDG&E. In a bit over 3 years it has returned 100% of my investment and since last March I'm now ahead of that game for what is estimated to be another 17 years of 90%+ of their original production.
I am really hoping that the replacement Cayman EV is everything the ICE Cayman has been, except that it's 100% electric. If it is, I'm a buyer.
Once you've had an EV, for about a year or so, you honestly begin to wonder why you'd ever buy an ICE powered car or truck ever again. I really like my 992 C2S and my ICE powered motorcycles, but they really are yesterdays news.
The engineering behind the 2025 GTS drive-train is nice. However, it's nothing new. At one time I had a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, that got me in the carpool lane and I drove the wheels off of it. Same engineering design in every way . . . except for the ICE engines power output and the Honda had a smaller Battery: 1.05 kWh vs 1.9 kWh in the GTS. So the GTS is, for me, a nothing new here, please move right along, next customer, been there and done that, sort of thing.
FWIW the cheapest Premium Gasoline around here is $4.99/Gallon at Costco. My electrical cost is negative $$$, it's a profit center for me.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-03-2024 at 07:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (06-03-2024), CodyBigdog (06-11-2024), rodsky (06-03-2024), Tedster (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 07:50 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Actually that makes my point. Investment in new and current public transportation. Keep the current up to date and safe with new lines. That goes beyond the city but the scarcity of trains between metros is also ridiculous in a country this big. The lack of investment allows for share driving platforms, crowding cities and likely shortening the ICE lifespan. Soon most city centers will charge to drive like London.

Also, the factories love this type of legislation. Keeps them changing with all the new crap to sell. In the 70's Porsche was in bad shape bc Germans didn't see the point in trading their relatively reliable cars into another one looking the same. Couldn't Porsche develop this GTS setup for the MY17? I'll bet they did and left it in the shelf for future updates ($$$). Car development is sometimes 10-15 years ahead of public view.
American cities and towns are not built like British and European ones
Really hard to make public transport work unless subways were already designed in
Old 06-03-2024, 07:59 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 43 Posts

Speed wars are over. An iconobox electric toyota will destroy ICE cars. Its not about speed anymore and manufacturers are missing this point in this segment. Bring emotion which will always sell. Think mechanical vs apple watch.
The following 6 users liked this post by NYG1121:
Bluehighways (06-03-2024), elvisdoc (06-14-2024), jlegelis (06-03-2024), miara_bart (06-09-2024), R N M (06-03-2024), WCGhost (06-08-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Will Porsche ever walk back it commitment to hybridization/electrification?