Notices

Thread for those who lost their car on the Felicity Ace ship fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 10:17 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Things have gotten comical. After my wife's Macan went down on the Felicity Ace, I was consoling myself with the fact that the GT4 I had ordered WASN'T on that ship (just missed it). It did eventually ship, and arrived at the US port a month ago. Then, it seemed to get "stuck" in port processing. The other day, I found out why: the ship it came on hit some very rough seas and apparently a car or two got loose in the hold. A number of cars were damaged. Including mine. Damaged to the point that they need to rebuild them. So, another four months until I see my car (maybe).
Old 04-15-2022, 10:23 AM
MiamiNYer
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Things have gotten comical. After my wife's Macan went down on the Felicity Ace, I was consoling myself with the fact that the GT4 I had ordered WASN'T on that ship (just missed it). It did eventually ship, and arrived at the US port a month ago. Then, it seemed to get "stuck" in port processing. The other day, I found out why: the ship it came on hit some very rough seas and apparently a car or two got loose in the hold. A number of cars were damaged. Including mine. Damaged to the point that they need to rebuild them. So, another four months until I see my car (maybe).
You’re joking! So sorry. This is comical for sure but at some point, you just need a car, not more stories to tell! Porsche should upgrade you majorly!
Old 04-15-2022, 10:29 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

My delivery has moved up two weeks, to 7/15. My lock date is 4/19 now. I still can't get the car exactly as I wanted it.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in Porsche on this. Pissed off, really. So much so that I just bought a Ferrari. I don't know what I'll do with the TTS when it gets here, but I won't be keeping both.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:40 AM
MiamiNYer
Instructor

Originally Posted by MiamiNYer
I heard that some kind of communication to all of us is imminent…

will believe it when I hear it.

Still waiting… how do you say “imminent” in Porschese?
Old 04-15-2022, 12:43 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MiamiNYer
You’re joking! So sorry. This is comical for sure but at some point, you just need a car, not more stories to tell! Porsche should upgrade you majorly!
Foolishly, we sold my wife's car when we saw her Macan get loaded on the Felicity Ace. So now we're down to one car between the two of us. I asked my SA if Porsche NA has a press car they could loan us for a month or two. Unlikely, but can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 163 Posts

@nobbyv , I'm so sorry about your GT4 issue. In your case, are they going to rebuild your GT4 within the current (2022) MY? (Asking because I had a GT4 on the FA (as PTS) and my rebuild has no order in the system as Porsche moved mine to a 2023 MY.

Whatever your situation, I'm hoping you DO see your GT4 in an expedited fashion.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:16 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
@nobbyv , I'm so sorry about your GT4 issue. In your case, are they going to rebuild your GT4 within the current (2022) MY? (Asking because I had a GT4 on the FA (as PTS) and my rebuild has no order in the system as Porsche moved mine to a 2023 MY.

Whatever your situation, I'm hoping you DO see your GT4 in an expedited fashion.
I haven't asked my SA, but based on a late July/early August delivery date, I'd expect it'll be given MY22.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 10:49 AM
MiamiNYer
Instructor

I haven't asked my SA, but based on a late July/early August delivery date, I'd expect it'll be given MY22.
Given all the delays and disappearing dates, I wonder if Porsche is planning on replacing all FA cars with MY 23s instead of just the PTS ones. A compromise that wont really cost them a huge amount in the scheme of things.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:12 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Porsche should realize that you lost two cars and should pull out all the stops to get you a third, like a Saving Private Ryan Porsche type thing
Old 04-17-2022, 07:46 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

That sucks. Sorry.

Oh, and it wasn't a car or two that got loose, it was dozens! The ship was listing 50° and cars were tossed on top of other cars. I heard the entire second floor was a loss.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:32 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
That sucks. Sorry.

Oh, and it wasn't a car or two that got loose, it was dozens! The ship was listing 50° and cars were tossed on top of other cars. I heard the entire second floor was a loss.
Wow, I hadn't heard that (Porsche has been less than communicative about this incident). Is there an article or anything you can point me to?
Old 04-17-2022, 09:42 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 913 Posts

After 5 weeks and 7 phone calls, Porsche finally responded to me and said there is nothing we can do for you, shrugging their shoulders, none of this is their fault and they dont feel any responsibility. To this date, 10 weeks after the boat sinking, not a single “we are sorry”. Not a letter. Not an email. Not even a $5 starbucks coupon. Let this be an example for all of us future and current owners what to expect from the company.

The dealership has been very good to me but there is not much they can do.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
After 5 weeks and 7 phone calls, Porsche finally responded to me and said there is nothing we can do for you, shrugging their shoulders, none of this is their fault and they dont feel any responsibility. To this date, 10 weeks after the boat sinking, not a single “we are sorry”. Not a letter. Not an email. Not even a $5 starbucks coupon. Let this be an example for all of us future and current owners what to expect from the company.

The dealership has been very good to me but there is not much they can do.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that Porsche has demonstrated very poor customer service with you on this issue. It should have been responding to you immediately even if just to say “ we are working on your issue and will get back to you with a decision by a date certain”. That unfortunate issue, however, is separate and distinct from the issue of what is the legal liability of Porsche for the sinking of the FA. As the ship is at the bottom of the ocean, the cause for the sinking is both unknown and unknowable,…….unfortunately. So, Porsche is only legally responsible to do one of two things. Use its best efforts to replace your MY22 vehicle within a reasonable amount of time under the circumstances for the agreed upon price (honor the contract) or give you a full refund of your deposit (agree to rescind the contract because of changed circumstances and impossibility of performance). Porsche has already agreed to do either as the customer wishes. As it currently stands, Porsche is correct that it is not at fault or legally responsible for anything beyond what they have offered you. I encourage you to hire an attorney if you feel otherwise.

I compliment nbobbyv on his positive attitude having lost a car on both FA and the Composer.

Last edited by Fullyield; 04-17-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:32 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I wholeheartedly agree with you that Porsche has demonstrated very poor customer service with you on this issue. It should have been responding to you immediately even if just to say “ we are working on your issue and will get back to you with a decision by a date certain”. That unfortunate issue, however, is separate and distinct from the issue of what is the legal liability of Porsche for the sinking of the FA. As the ship is at the bottom of the ocean, the cause for the sinking is both unknown and unknowable,…….unfortunately. So, Porsche is only legally responsible to do one of two things. Use its best efforts to replace your MY22 vehicle within a reasonable amount of time under the circumstances for the agreed upon price (honor the contract) or give you a full refund of your deposit (agree to rescind the contract because of changed circumstances and impossibility of performance). Porsche has already agreed to do either as the customer wishes. As it currently stands, Porsche is correct that it is not at fault or legally responsible for anything beyond what they have offered you. I encourage you to hire an attorney if you feel otherwise.

I compliment nbobbyv on his positive attitude having lost a car on both FA and the Composer.
No one is questioning their legal stance here.

Customer service is part of the picture when it comes to the ownership experience when you commit to a brand like Porsche - among other things such as fit and finish, engineering, performance, etc.

This is the kind of response and management of the issue you would expect from Walmart or Ford not from Porsche.

They should have done better simply because as much as nothing changes the fact that legally they are not obligated, we as the customers have lost precious time. Months… time is the most valuable currency in the world. Maybe some of us have had life changing events and we couldnt have gone ahead with our plans. It will be 14 months since the original order when my car comes. Who has to answer for this?

I personally hold executives of the PAG accountable for lack of logistical planning. I have said this before, 3 major events in less than 3 years is not normal for these car carriers. There are people who get paid lots of money at PAG whose job is to make executive decisions. The first time ship sank in 2019, what have they done? Probably nothing since the same company was in command of the second ship that sank and a third one with 20% of the cars being totaled. So something is off here, dont you think? Simply saying legally we are off the hook is poor optics. We are not idiots. Any person with half a brain can come to the same conclusion. And then the same thing with Ukraine war. Putin didnt just show up there with half a million troops and thousands of tanks over a weekend. Having gone through lots of supply chain issues with Covid, same PAG executives should have planned MONTHS in advance anticipating a war in Ukraine for backup suppliers. We have all seen clear evidence that they were REACTING to the events as they happened rather than simply executing a business continuity plan. Very poor planning. An amateur would say what they say that “its not our fault”.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 04-17-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:28 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Here is my suggestion to you.You are done with Porsche. And if Porsche is smart, it would be done with you. The relationship is destroyed for whatever reason. Instead of continually projecting venom over a very unfortunate act of God and working yourself into a lather about it, just ask Porsche to fully refund your deposit. By law, it must rescind your contract and put you back into status quo. Then you can take your $ and go get a Tesla, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Hellcat or AC Cobra (my choice) which are all great cars and you will not have to deal with Porsche ever again or risk the Northern Atlantic Ocean transient in Spring. But ….your continual whining because Porsche will not do for YOU what Porsche is not legally required to do for anyone is growing old. You are special, I know. You made your point weeks ago. But, Porsche is not legally required to compensate you or give you a MY 23 vehicle for a MY 22 contact price under these facts. That is the law. Time to move on. You need to let it go. Or again, you can always hire attorneys to throw good money after bad if you feel differently.

Last edited by Fullyield; 04-17-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Thread for those who lost their car on the Felicity Ace ship fire