Notices

Thread for those who lost their car on the Felicity Ace ship fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:57 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Leoni is global company with factories around the world doing Fiber, cable, optics work in addition to automotive wiring harnesses. It has factories all over Eastern Europe(Romania, Slovakia, etc.) and in N.Africa andMexico. The two Ukrainian factories are located in western UK. Leoni voluntarily shut them down so the workers could address family issues and fight. Leoni reportedly moving its workers who can and want to leave to work in its other nearby factories per Eastern Europe press reports. Could be fake news…..who knows for sure?
That is the right strategic move but that move will take quite a bit of time to organize. Its not very easy to relocate 3000-4000 people to other countries, find them room & boarding, then find a place for them to work. What happens if their other factories cannot operate on an extended shift capacity (i.e. they are designed to be run 12 hours a day, 5 days a week and now you are using them for 24 hours a day and 7 days a week)? What about thousands of men that worked in Ukraine that cant be relocated because of the Ukraine martial law that they are not allowed to leave the country? Its not that simple. Even if you were to relocate every possible staff, and hire more staff, you are looking at multi month set back - that's if there are not other set backs. Wire harnesses is all we know. It'd be foolish to think thats the only part VW group uses that Ukraine as a country produces. You also have to understand Porsche has a lot to lose by broadcasting information without a remediation plan. It will cause panic and customers who are already tired of waiting (like myself) to abandon the brand and look for other alternatives.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:30 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
That is the right strategic move but that move will take quite a bit of time to organize. Its not very easy to relocate 3000-4000 people to other countries, find them room & boarding, then find a place for them to work. What happens if their other factories cannot operate on an extended shift capacity (i.e. they are designed to be run 12 hours a day, 5 days a week and now you are using them for 24 hours a day and 7 days a week)? What about thousands of men that worked in Ukraine that cant be relocated because of the Ukraine martial law that they are not allowed to leave the country? Its not that simple. Even if you were to relocate every possible staff, and hire more staff, you are looking at multi month set back - that's if there are not other set backs. Wire harnesses is all we know. It'd be foolish to think thats the only part VW group uses that Ukraine as a country produces. You also have to understand Porsche has a lot to lose by broadcasting information without a remediation plan. It will cause panic and customers who are already tired of waiting (like myself) to abandon the brand and look for other alternatives.
Leoni is relocating the women workers and their families if you would care to just take a moment to think it through and read between the lines instead of launching the immediate counterattack like a threatened and cornered animal. That is the right thing for Leoni to do even if it delays my car. Lighten up. Try to get off of “planet me”. I am not arguing with anyone here. Just delivering the current reporting I have read which I intentionally qualified as just that. If I get this type of response on this thread from anyone again, I will quite trying to update all of you and you can do your own freakin research. I didn’t burn up anybody’s car.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Leoni is relocating the women workers and their families if you would care to just take a moment to think it through and read between the lines instead of launching the immediate counterattack like a threatened and cornered animal. That is the right thing for Leoni to do even if it delays my car. Lighten up. Try to get off of “planet me”. I am not arguing with anyone here. Just delivering the current reporting I have read which I intentionally qualified as just that. If I get this type of response on this thread from anyone again, I will quite trying to update all of you and you can do your own freakin research. I didn’t burn up anybody’s car.
You probably misunderstood me. I was simply pointing out this is a logistical challenge and we all, including me, need to have realistic expectations. Some people are under the illusion that this is some 2 week set back. I am simply pointing out this is going to be far worse than various delays due to supply chain issues.

I have also heard from my source that Porsche informed dealers that there is another round of semi conductor shortage that will be an additional challenge.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:31 AM
P_Bass
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the thread on AudiWorld forums.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ispreloading=1

Honestly it's mostly speculation - just like here there is very little verified information- but at least one person seems to really know (and posts an interesting photo of) wire harness manufacture process.

Verifiable fact however is that this week Audi shut down all lines producing MLB platform vehicles in Ingostadt and Neckasulm this week and now has extended another through March 25th. Those are lines that produce hundreds of cars per day.

That said, I have to say it feels not quite right to complain about delays when families are being uprooted and becoming refugees overnight. Seeking information and understanding is OK to me, as in a sense it creates empathy with those actually building our cars and maybe some insight into how we might want to think about the way we build stuff in general in the future. But I feel it's wrong to get angry at anyone or anything in the impacted supply chain.

Last edited by P_Bass; 03-11-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by P_Bass

That said, I have to say it feels not quite right to complain about delays when families are being uprooted and becoming refugees overnight. Seeking information and understanding is OK to me, as in a sense it creates empathy with those actually building our cars and maybe some insight into how we might want to think about the way we build stuff in general in the future. But I feel it's wrong to get angry at anyone or anything in the impacted supply chain.

THIS and ONLY THIS!!!! ^^^^^

The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (03-14-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:24 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I have been waiting for my car for months now. However, I could not care less if I have to wait another year or two as long as the war is over. Its just a car and a luxury car to an extent. Completely unnecessary pleasure purchase. People there are dying and kids are scared. We come here and talk about the supply chain issues and ship sinking but deep inside the sadness the war creates does not come close to a minor inconvenience of the car being late.
The following 6 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Bearrun21 (03-11-2022), Big Swole (03-12-2022), CPL55 (03-11-2022), GinaC (03-12-2022), GT3FZS (03-14-2022), nnywg (03-11-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:52 PM
ridestp
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been waiting for my car for months now. However, I could not care less if I have to wait another year or two as long as the war is over. Its just a car and a luxury car to an extent. Completely unnecessary pleasure purchase. People there are dying and kids are scared. We come here and talk about the supply chain issues and ship sinking but deep inside the sadness the war creates does not come close to a minor inconvenience of the car being late.
Agreed. The shift from delays due to a boat sinking to delays due to a senseless war has changed the entire context of the delays.
The following 2 users liked this post by ridestp:
CPL55 (03-11-2022), GinaC (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 04:29 PM
GinaC
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCCBs taken out of my build specs

Originally Posted by inthesticks
I've had extensive talks with my dealer about this - my replacement order wouldnt take because there's a stop order on PDCC and PCCBs. The only way to place the order was to remove them from the build. To be honest, I'm extremely dissatisfied with the way this has been handled. I've had no direct contact from Porsche, only through the dealer. Theyre expecting me to just be grateful that I'm getting a new allocation - as far as I'm concerned that's the absolute least they should be doing. But then to say they cant rebuild the original spec due to supply chain issues, and there's no alternative's or other concessions offered - to me this is bad form. I am pushing to have a meeting with my SA to hash this out. I'd like to have a direct convo with Porsche at this point.

I have the same issue. My Cayenne GTS was ordered with PCCBs and now I am being told it cannot be built with them. So I can take a 22 (hoping to get it this summer) without them, or wait on the 23, and take my chances that the PCCBs come back in supply and the 23 gets built later this year. I am wondering what others are doing in this situation.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:05 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GinaC
I have the same issue. My Cayenne GTS was ordered with PCCBs and now I am being told it cannot be built with them. So I can take a 22 (hoping to get it this summer) without them, or wait on the 23, and take my chances that the PCCBs come back in supply and the 23 gets built later this year. I am wondering what others are doing in this situation.
Sorry about your brake issue. I have a major sales practices issue, that will end up leaving me without a vehicle for TWO YEARS. I have called, and emailed PCNA countless times, only to have them refer it to the dealer who caused it. The lack of accountability is shameful……
Old 03-12-2022, 06:53 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
Sorry about your brake issue. I have a major sales practices issue, that will end up leaving me without a vehicle for TWO YEARS. I have called, and emailed PCNA countless times, only to have them refer it to the dealer who caused it. The lack of accountability is shameful……
My dealer is pretty much the same. They are completely MIA, no updates, no “we’re sorry”, no “let’s help you out”, etc. But what goes around will eventually come around. It’s very disappointing to see this. The lack of communication, transparency, and resolution would be expected from Chevy or Ford, not Porsche. Why people buy Porsche is partly due to how they drive/engineered/etc but also large part of it is how they stand behind their product and make the customer whole.

I heard this argument so many times now that “this isnt our fault, so we are not responsible”. But it is your fault for not properly maintaining contingencies for your supply chain disruptions. Putin has had the tanks lined up there for how long now? And it just occurred to you that wire harnesses may not show up in Germany at some point? Come on guys. This is why executives get paid what they get paid. The thing with the ship, I understand to an extent. I’d still argue that this happening to you twice in 3 years is a bit off. Perhaps you need to find a better company to carry your cars? 2019 event should have resulted in a proper investigation and mitigation measures. If no changes were made in terms of the companies you use OR you have not successfully convinced the car carrier company to put proper safety/monitoring practices in place, then again you have failed.

The existing supply chain issues going back to 2 years should have had your execs paying very close attention to Ukraine for months. Simply waiting for invitation of a war to act for mitigation measures is a failure at very senior levels.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
milban (03-12-2022), NYCGT3 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 08:30 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

My dealer is pretty much the same. They are completely MIA, no updates, no “we’re sorry”, no “let’s help you out”, etc. But what goes around will eventually come around. It’s very disappointing to see this. The lack of communication, transparency, and resolution would be expected from Chevy or Ford, not Porsche. Why people buy Porsche is partly due to how they drive/engineered/etc but also large part of it is how they stand behind their product and make the customer whole.

I heard this argument so many times now that “this isnt our fault, so we are not responsible”. But it is your fault for not properly maintaining contingencies for your supply chain disruptions. Putin has had the tanks lined up there for how long now? And it just occurred to you that wire harnesses may not show up in Germany at some point? Come on guys. This is why executives get paid what they get paid. The thing with the ship, I understand to an extent. I’d still argue that this happening to you twice in 3 years is a bit off. Perhaps you need to find a better company to carry your cars? 2019 event should have resulted in a proper investigation and mitigation measures. If no changes were made in terms of the companies you use OR you have not successfully convinced the car carrier company to put proper safety/monitoring practices in place, then again you have failed.

The existing supply chain issues going back to 2 years should have had your execs paying very close attention to Ukraine for months. Simply waiting for invitation of a war to act for mitigation measures is a failure at very senior levels.
Help us out? How about a phone call? Maybe an email? Some accountability? My dealer didn’t even call me to inform me the day of the fire. Now, we Felicity Ace victims aren’t even given a choice of model years. If you’re making some people wait until as late as September,and I’ve even read October, how can they not at least offer a ‘23 model year? Some of us have waited 12+ months for cars and people who’ve ordered cars 4 months ago will get cars before us. There should have been a more equitable way to spread out the disaster. Share the tragedy and push everyone out a bit. I completely agree with the wiring harness issue. Their maximum downside had they ordered heavily in anticipation ,would probably be better higher volume pricing..,,

Last edited by NYCGT3; 03-12-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:02 PM
MiamiNYer
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GinaC
All I’ve been told is that my car cannot be built as configured. No details and no alternatives. Given that the factory is closed, I haven’t pushed for more but sounds like I should.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:20 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiNYer
All I’ve been told is that my car cannot be built as configured. No details and no alternatives. Given that the factory is closed, I haven’t pushed for more but sounds like I should.
Our experiences seem similar, and I connected with my dealer today. I had a GT4 in PTS on the ship, confirmed a new allocation was given, but it was immediately blocked (V100?) from being put into a production schedule. It's going to be a 2023 model, it WILL be fully reconfigurable, should be going into the 'early' 2023 MY.
...and with all else happening, I believe this is the best that can be known at this time; I'm buckling-in for the extended, very-slow journey to completion.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:32 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
Our experiences seem similar, and I connected with my dealer today. I had a GT4 in PTS on the ship, confirmed a new allocation was given, but it was immediately blocked (V100?) from being put into a production schedule. It's going to be a 2023 model, it WILL be fully reconfigurable, should be going into the 'early' 2023 MY.
...and with all else happening, I believe this is the best that can be known at this time; I'm buckling-in for the extended, very-slow journey to completion.
Will they honor the same pricing?
Old 03-13-2022, 12:47 AM
MiamiNYer
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
You’re getting a 23 MY? I think you’re the only one so far.

Quick Reply: Thread for those who lost their car on the Felicity Ace ship fire