Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Porsche still doing ED, or permanently cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021 | 07:49 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Gents - I have one good news data point to offer. Last week PAG approved the Zuffenhausen ED of my PTS CXX GT3T with a build completion date of 25 February. I recognize that it is speculative on PAG's part, but they are obviously planning on ED being available next March. PCNA Atlanta was not confident that the ED would be approved, but I am definitely happy it was!
Old 10-26-2021 | 06:42 PM
Belezar
Intermediate

Fighting the traffic…

Wee

Last edited by Belezar; 10-26-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2021 | 06:50 PM
Belezar
Intermediate

For some reason my text before the pictures disappeared when I added the pictures. My ED experience was great! Picked up a C4S Cab MT in Leipzig. Drove it about 2,800 km over 3 weeks plus, including the lap around the Nurburgring shown above, in honor of Sabine. Amazing car. Factory tour was super cool, and hasn’t been canceled according to the folks there.
Old 10-26-2021 | 07:32 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

The issue with leaving the car in Europe is that after some period of time ( which is unknown to me as I type this) you have to pay the Vat Tax of 20% -- and this is why many dealers are now collecting the 20% vat tax upfront from the customer if they don't bring the car back to ship to the states within the Vat Tax exemption period of time. I was told by my dealer that there have been some instances of customers using the ED program to avoid paying the VAT tax and then selling their car in Europe where they are worth more than even in the states.

A friend sent me the configurator that is used for German customers and it is actually higher than the prices here in the states and this is before the 20% VAT tax .

I really like the idea of keeping a car in Europe for future adventures but paying the VAT tax on $170,000 plus car is annoying.

Old 10-26-2021 | 07:50 PM
Belezar
Intermediate

My dealer invoiced but didn’t collect the VAT. It’s 6000km and I think 3 months but I’m not totally sure on the time. I was lectured on the 6000km when at the Porsche Center Leipzig.
Old 11-01-2021 | 06:16 PM
pefman
Advanced

My wife and I did ED in 2016 picking up a GT4. At the time, I was nervous about the 6,000 km limit, so I kept it just under.

We are ordering a 2022 Macan S for ED sometime in the spring or early summer - depending on when we can get a build slot. But this time, we plan to stay at least a month and go over the 6,000 km. Here is a link to the guy who researched this. (https://rennlist.com/forums/european...n-ed-cars.html) It appears the actual law states that a car must be under 6 months old OR have less than 6,000 km to be considered new - and thus avoid the VAT. I always wondered why other manufacturers did not limit milage while Porsche did. I assume they just have some very conservative lawyers. You can read the post. I assume there is always some risk, but we are going to take it in order to have a longer trip.

Old 11-07-2021 | 07:34 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pefman
My wife and I did ED in 2016 picking up a GT4. At the time, I was nervous about the 6,000 km limit, so I kept it just under.

We are ordering a 2022 Macan S for ED sometime in the spring or early summer - depending on when we can get a build slot. But this time, we plan to stay at least a month and go over the 6,000 km. Here is a link to the guy who researched this. (https://rennlist.com/forums/european...n-ed-cars.html) It appears the actual law states that a car must be under 6 months old OR have less than 6,000 km to be considered new - and thus avoid the VAT. I always wondered why other manufacturers did not limit milage while Porsche did. I assume they just have some very conservative lawyers. You can read the post. I assume there is always some risk, but we are going to take it in order to have a longer trip.
I am considering doing something similar but staying up until the 6 month limit. I just retired and want to be a bum in Europe for a while. What are you doing for extended insurance while you are there for that long?
Old 11-07-2021 | 11:24 AM
pefman
Advanced

Porsche includes two weeks of insurance in the ED package. You can extend it with them when you are setting up your delivery details. When we went in 2016, I just extended it for an extra week. This time, I am planning to extend for a total of 6 or 8 weeks. When you pick up the car, it has temporary German plates which expire on the day your insurance ends. I'm not sure if Porsche has a limit of how long you can extend the insurance - though 6 months is an obvious limit.

btw, I just got a call yesterday from my SA saying we are approved for ED (Leipzig) with a build slot in Feb 2022. We plan to pick it up in late April or early May.
Old 11-07-2021 | 07:24 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

I spy a Euro Delivery car at the port in Emden waiting for a boat to USA. This phot was taken on Monday, 11/1.
Old 11-08-2021 | 11:39 AM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

For extensions, Porsche will quote a very high insurance figure. However, they only require that you use their carrier for liability, which is quite reasonably priced. I've extended in my last two EDs and used my US insurer (Chubb) for comprehensive fire and theft.

When I did my last ED in Sept 2020, Porsche was limiting extensions to 3 months, claiming a new EU policy. Of course Europe closed due to Covid Halloween 2020, so I had to hustle to get the car to the shipper way early.

BTW, I finalized an order for a GT4 this weekend with an April 15 build date. Was told that new ED commitments are currently on hold.
Old 11-08-2021 | 12:28 PM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

The Porsche ED contract prohibits keeping the car in Europe beyond the agreed upon time. Violating the contract does mean paying 20% VAT over and above the US sticker. And probably being blacklisted by PCNA for a very long time.

Your dealer is making up the story of US customers reselling their cars in Europe and not paying the VAT. First of all, Porsche NA will charge the dealer the VAT, so unless your guy is giving his customer a $30,000 gift, the dealer will make the customer pay it. My invoice for a car I just ordered for ED includes a 20% VAT payment above the sticker, but my dealer trusts me so I won't have to pay it up front. Second, in this day and age European Union standards are stricter than DOT/EPA, so it would cost anyone trying to register a US spec car in the EU about $10,000 to "Eurofederalize" it. Finally, there is no price advantage.

German prices are virtually identical to US prices. I just specc'd a new GT4 this weekend. The sticker was $136,5000. To register the car in NY with an 8% sales tax, I have to write a check for about $147,400. The identical spec on the Germany car configurator adds up to128,600 euros, which INCLUDES the 20% VAT. At today's exchange rate of $1.15/euro, that equates to $147,890.

The price of the same car in Europe less VAT would be about 107,000 euros. So, if were not basically illegal to import a euro-spec car, one could buy a car from a dealer over there, pay the import duty and the US sales tax and still come out ahead. Plus, there are plenty of GT-4s on the lots in Europe and most of them come with the Clubsport package (about a 3000 euro option) which includes a partial roll cage and other track oriented goodies which are not allowed on US spec cars.

Unfortunately, at the moment, ED commitments are on hold due to supply chain uncertainties. My new car is showing an April 15 build and I'd love to pick it up in May and use it over there for a few months (as I've done with 3 other EDs in the past 5 years), but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-08-2021 | 04:27 PM
Lnthomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pefman
Porsche includes two weeks of insurance in the ED package. You can extend it with them when you are setting up your delivery details. When we went in 2016, I just extended it for an extra week. This time, I am planning to extend for a total of 6 or 8 weeks. When you pick up the car, it has temporary German plates which expire on the day your insurance ends. I'm not sure if Porsche has a limit of how long you can extend the insurance - though 6 months is an obvious limit.

btw, I just got a call yesterday from my SA saying we are approved for ED (Leipzig) with a build slot in Feb 2022. We plan to pick it up in late April or early May.
Great to hear! Please post if you get pushed back. thanks!
Old 11-08-2021 | 04:30 PM
Lnthomas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all that info. Please update if your timeline is going to be different.
Old 11-08-2021 | 08:54 PM
TR772
Racer

So is December available ?
Old 11-09-2021 | 07:46 PM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

I’m happy to confirm that European Deliveries are still happening. I picked up my 992 GT3 MT today in Leipzig. Felipe was the Porsche driving coach and product delivery expert that worked with me. He was excellent!

The experience included lots of laps of the test track in one of Porsche’s PDK GT3s. It was pretty mind blowing.

My delivery included a factory tour as well which was really interesting. Derek did a great job leading the tour.
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Porsche still doing ED, or permanently cancelled?