Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you made it, we had a good sized field this time, I hope it keeps growing.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

I was glad I could join in the fun... Hopefully Julian is able to run with us some more. He's fun to go door to door with, and he really seems to keep his head together for how young he is.

I liked that the podium was made up of SCCA people, but Im biased of course
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Sorry I ended up bailing on you guys. Chas and I got bound up on the first lap because I was being very cautious going into the hairpin(T4?) after you go down the hill from the first big left turn. I was being cautious because somebody was in the grass and Chas had to do a Ralf Schumacher because he was too committed, and he ended up on my roll hoop. I will try hard to start attending more. If it is any consolation, I just finally got some stuff out and I am done working for the night.
yeah, sometime starting in the back is fun, sometimes it results in that. somehow I knew from T1's little stack up that T4 was going to end up poorly. oh well.

after that I stuffed it in the tires in the same general location so decided enough was enough...a lap down, running by myself, no real point in continuing.

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
+1 for the Star Mazda, great car. I say we run each car for maybe a month but keep switching tracks.

Only thing we talked about I'm not interested in is ovals.
Star Mazda is a great car, really underrated IMO. I like the idea of sticking with a car and cycling through the tracks.

have you tried much oval racing? the LM and old Nationwide cars are a hoot on a short track. you should give it a try sometime.

as for the league idea, I'm not sure there's a need....what do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the T4-T5 grass debacle on lap 1. I was trying to give room to the car on my right and and didn't pay enough attention to how far outside the turn I was. As soon as I hit the grass I knew it was going to be ugly.

I think running the same car for a couple weeks is a great idea. I'm down with what ever combo is picked. The Star Mazda is a blast to drive and us mid-pack guys seem to be competitively close in time. "as long as I don't take out the field on the first lap".

As for the League ... Ill leave that up to the pros. Im not sure what there is to gain from it.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I liked that the podium was made up of SCCA people, but Im biased of course
Well at least two are SCCA/PCA people. Julian is great to race with and I knew he would be fast as he is in real life.

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
have you tried much oval racing? the LM and old Nationwide cars are a hoot on a short track. you should give it a try sometime.

as for the league idea, I'm not sure there's a need....what do you guys think?
I have never run oval in this game, it just never interested me. I'm a road course guy. But if everyone wants to, I'll try.

As for the series, I think it might be nice to pick cars and tracks in advance, especially for those that don't read here like Erich and Julian. However, I like how laid back we are, it would be nice to keep it that way more so than be super organized.

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
Sorry for the T4-T5 grass debacle on lap 1.
I saw it coming yet couldn't get on the mic fast enough to warn people. We've ALL been there, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Last edited by abqautoxer; 07-26-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

It was a rough race for me too. I found the speed, but not the consistency this time. My setup seemed really good for qualifying, but I kept losing the rear mid corner with full fuel weight and a few laps on the tires. Most times I would get a little slide and catch it, which cost me some time. Eventually I lost it in a really bad spot and got a 15s penalty for course cutting. That put me right out of the race. It was a shame because it was shaping up to be pretty close between Tom and me for the lead. More practice under race conditions would have been a more valuable use of my time instead of hot laps. Lesson learned for next time. Let's do Star Mazda at a free track next week; either Okayama or Laguna are my vote.

Make sure to take some time during the practice sessions to do a couple launches. That's a place where 30s of practice can save you 2-3 seconds on the first lap.

I think a league would be really good if for nothing else than adding "success ballast". From what I've read, we can have 4 classes of driver/car. So we could start everyone in the +25Kg group and then based on times, results, etc. We could move people down to +0Kg or up to +50Kg classes.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Ah that's the feature of the league that was possibly very useful, rewards weight to help level the field a bit. That alone might make it worth using the feature.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Let's do Star Mazda at a free track next week; either Okayama or Laguna are my vote.
Lets do both. Okayama next week and Laguna the week after.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Ah that's the feature of the league that was possibly very useful, rewards weight to help level the field a bit. That alone might make it worth using the feature.
we'd have to add 500 pounds of ballast for Justin and Bedros!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
we'd have to add 500 pounds of ballast for Justin and Bedros!
I really like that sound of that.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am in agreement with keeping the star mazda and cycling tracks. That would be a lot of fun. I also like the idea of doing a league where we can add reward weights because there seems to be like 2 or 3 guys that are super fast, and then there is a group of 4 or 5 of us (me, ed, chas, etc..) that are basically within 0.5 of each other each time.

Separately, I have a playseat with a logitech G27 wheel and pedal set. Should I upgrade just the pedals or get a whole new set? Money isn't that big of a concern.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

I am in agreement with keeping the star mazda and cycling tracks. That would be a lot of fun. I also like the idea of doing a league where we can add reward weights because there seems to be like 2 or 3 guys that are super fast, and then there is a group of 4 or 5 of us (me, ed, chas, etc..) that are basically within 0.5 of each other each time.

Separately, I have a playseat with a logitech G27 wheel and pedal set. Should I upgrade just the pedals or get a whole new set? Money isn't that big of a concern.
I'd do one big upgrade...pedals and wheel.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

OK, which one? I am considering this upgrade because I am now going to be flying solo in Tokyo and I might need something to do besides work and marketing. I think there is some time being left on the table because I can't modulate the brakes as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

OK, which one? I am considering this upgrade because I am now going to be flying solo in Tokyo and I might need something to do besides work and marketing. I think there is some time being left on the table because I can't modulate the brakes as well.
what did Ed buy? fanatec wheel w/ CSR pedals (?)
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

yes except Ed has the CSR elite pedals. I have the CSR wheel and CSR Elite pedals, Ed has the Porsche wheel (not sure which).

The G27 is plenty good, you can win with that. However if you do upgrade, let me know as I have a buddy who would be interested in your G27 setup used.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread