Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
dodint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the SM is a great platform and a great series on iRacing. I'm not sure if I've ever had a race not go official since there is such a large group. Also, if you do run it, check the forums weekly as there is an organized effort to post at least one good Race and Qual setup, Youtube video of fast lap, and last seasons best times. For example, last week at Watkins.

Week 1 is next week, and they've tweaked the schedule some. First race is at Brands Hatch and discussion is already underway with racing starting next week.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
masterianvii
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Invitation accepted
Cool

...I don't know all of your names, so PM me, and I'll add you. League is listed under as ///AMG Academy, and so far its at the top of the list, so its easy to find.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dodint
Yeah, the SM is a great platform and a great series on iRacing. I'm not sure if I've ever had a race not go official since there is such a large group. Also, if you do run it, check the forums weekly as there is an organized effort to post at least one good Race and Qual setup, Youtube video of fast lap, and last seasons best times. For example, last week at Watkins.

Week 1 is next week, and they've tweaked the schedule some. First race is at Brands Hatch and discussion is already underway with racing starting next week.
Thanks for the links. I'm in. Just gotta buy/download Brands.

EDIT: I think my license is only a D though my SR is almost 5. Can I still run the league with that? I couldn't find a clearly on the site.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masterianvii
Cool

...I don't know all of your names, so PM me, and I'll add you. League is listed under as ///AMG Academy, and so far its at the top of the list, so its easy to find.
You can get r/l names from any/all of the Hosted Results for CXC Simulations Racing League
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I'm launching a league called the "Affiliated Motorsport Gaming Academy", aimed at coaching and developing driving technique. The events will consist of guided exercises and learning how to drive and setup cars. Some of the events will be no race events, made up of pre-determined exercises focusing on particular driving aspect (braking, cornering, overtaking, race start, etc...).

Example format will be, but not limited to:
1. Lead follow sessions
2. 1-1 lap analysis and feedback
3. Gymkhana
4. Fun competitions (TBD)

I would like to invite anyone here who is interested in participating.
That sounds awesome. Count me in. You can never learn too much, or get enough practice.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally have my csr eliet pedals on the way. I'm hoping I get them by next race day wednesday .
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
masterianvii
Instructor

Hey guys, here is a preliminary layout of the AMG Academy:

Skidpad - Charlotte Motor Speedway, Legends Oval - Ford Mustang
Passing - Okayama International Circuit - MX5 (driving in pairs with a partner)
Race Start - Lime Rock Park - MX5
Race Line - Laguna Seca - CTS-V (lead-follow)

Masters Series
CTS-V
Schedule TBD

Each of the events will include LIVE guided instruction. Let me know what you think. Initially I will try to structure this around the free content (Mustang is not free, but skidpad may be a hit or miss, and it is the best car to do it in.)

If this works out well, I might consider opening it up to the public and getting some sponsors to pay for hosted events.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, here is a preliminary layout of the AMG Academy:

Skidpad - Charlotte Motor Speedway, Legends Oval - Ford Mustang
Race Line - Laguna Seca - CTS-V (lead-follow)

Masters Series
CTS-V
Schedule TBD

Each of the events will include LIVE guided instruction. Let me know what you think. Initially I will try to structure this around the free content (Mustang is not free, but skidpad may be a hit or miss, and it is the best car to do it in.)

If this works out well, I might consider opening it up to the public and getting some sponsors to pay for hosted events.
I think all of us, both regulars and occasional attendees, have proven we can get around a track. IMHO, the Skid Pad session would best serve those totally new to sim racing (or racing, period); it seems to be an introductory type session.

Alternately, the Skid Pad sessions could be an advanced tuning session with a very tunable suspension (such as the Star Mazda or Riley, foe example), on a small oval (Centripetal Circuit would be ideal, but I don't believe you can host that track) with emphasis on improving driving through a turn and improving mechanical grip through tuning.

I would switch the order of the remaining three to this:

Race Line - Laguna Seca - MX5 (lead-follow)*

*The Caddy is a bit of a handful (though I do like it). A progressive system of education should be with the same car and would be more ideal as the drivers would be more familiar with the car through multiple session, applying what was learned in previous sessions.

Race Line should be first, so that drivers could be taught how to get the best out of the car around a track; early apex, late apex, trail braking, threshold braking, etc. Laguna is a good track, because of the variety of turns.

Once drivers have improved their general Race Line, Passing should be next; learning to drive offline, varying apex approach, learning defending (good) versus blocking (bad), etc.

Race Starts would be the final key, learning how to properly launch, and applying lessons from previous session so that T1 can be exciting, but safe and "craftful".

Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
masterianvii
Instructor

Ed, thanks for the awesome feedback! I will definitely incorporate this as I agree with all of your points.

I have actually managed to generate quite a bit of interest in this from the iRacing community, so I am actually opening this up to the public. You're all welcome to attend of course.

I'm also seeking funding from various iRacing sponsors to help cover the cost of hosting sessions. If any of you is interested in throwing a few iRacing dollars my way to help setup an initial schedule, !

If any of you are also willing in helping out with instructing, let me know.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM
masterianvii
Instructor

Got a sponsor, and plenty of people signed up for this. Thinking first event Tuesday or Thursday night 7 or 8pm EST. What do you guys think?

I'd like to start with the skidpad. While I'm sure most of you might not find it as interesting, I did a few test runs, and its quite fun with the mustang. You can really balance a drift in that car.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

So, this week's race, Star Mazdas @ Okayama Full? Just confirming so I can setup a practice session for tonight.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
masterianvii
Instructor

First session of the Driving Academy will be Tomorrow, Tuesday, Jul 31st.
Server opens at 7pm EST
4hr session with 2 lessons starting at 8pm and 10pm

Skidpad training, covering the basics of car control.
Ford Mustang at Charlotte Legends Oval

Nearly 70 people have signed up so far!
Hope to see some of you there.

Look for "Driving Academy" at the very top of the leagues section.

If any of you guys want to help out with coaching and running more sessions, let me know.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First session of the Driving Academy will be Tomorrow, Tuesday, Jul 31st.
Server opens at 7pm EST
4hr session with 2 lessons starting at 8pm and 10pm

Skidpad training, covering the basics of car control.
Ford Mustang at Charlotte Legends Oval

Nearly 70 people have signed up so far!
Hope to see some of you there.

Look for "Driving Academy" at the very top of the leagues section.

If any of you guys want to help out with coaching and running more sessions, let me know.
holy cow! 70 people? how will that work, will they be separated into splits like official races?

have you given any more thought into doing some form of setup tutorial?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
So, this week's race, Star Mazdas @ Okayama Full? Just confirming so I can setup a practice session for tonight.
correct, SM at Okayama full course.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

Rennlist Practice @ Okayama
password: Rennlist
Open tonight from 7:30-10:30pm EDT

Spread the word

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread