Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015 | 11:23 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Can you give a baseline of "if you can't run a lap under X:XX time in car Y please don't even bother"?

I know the default answer is "don't worry about it" but racing people way faster or way slower sucks. I've been in both spots.
It's more of a problem if you can't make it around the track without spinning or going off track. There's guys of all speeds through the field to race with, but it's no fun racing if you haven't learned the track and put in some practice laps.

If you're really looking for a number, I'd say if you can do a lap of Mid-ohio in the RUF track in under 1:25, you'll be right in the thick of the racing. I don't have a good feel for the times at Laguna yet for our next race.
Old 09-22-2015 | 12:41 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
It's more of a problem if you can't make it around the track without spinning or going off track. There's guys of all speeds through the field to race with, but it's no fun racing if you haven't learned the track and put in some practice laps.

If you're really looking for a number, I'd say if you can do a lap of Mid-ohio in the RUF track in under 1:25, you'll be right in the thick of the racing. I don't have a good feel for the times at Laguna yet for our next race.
Exactly. I appreciate the good natured c'mon out responses, but I feel like I need to be minimally competent to join you guys. For reference, what kind of laps do you run in the Miata cup at Summit Point Main?
Old 09-22-2015 | 01:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL

Exactly.

Don't worry about lap times. A lighting fast lap does you no good if the next 3 have you off in the dirt, or you hit something and have to finish the race with a bent car.

Practice running laps for 25 minutes without any spins or off-track-excursions and I bet you finish in the top half, easy.
Old 09-22-2015 | 02:54 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Exactly. I appreciate the good natured c'mon out responses, but I feel like I need to be minimally competent to join you guys. For reference, what kind of laps do you run in the Miata cup at Summit Point Main?
If you can do 1:26s consistently without going off, you will be in the race.
Old 09-22-2015 | 02:57 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
If you can do 1:26s consistently without going off, you will be in the race.
I can 1:27s without really paying attention. 1:26s if I am trying.

I guess I better go learn Laguna Seca.
Old 09-22-2015 | 04:27 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Don't worry about lap times. A lighting fast lap does you no good if the next 3 have you off in the dirt, or you hit something and have to finish the race with a bent car.
I think I ran one of our seasons in which I never set fastest lap in a race that I won. Consistency is king. Chasing hotlaps is fun, but won't win races.
Old 09-22-2015 | 07:03 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Totally agree consistency it the key. Make sure you get a headset, we all talk through the sessions, let people know which side to pass or someone coming up. We also share setups a lot in the sessions.
Old 09-23-2015 | 03:03 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

It was cool hopping in a random practice session last night and seeing a fellow Rennlister practicing for our Wednesday night races. Sorry I jumped off so abruptly. Wife informed me I had to cook dinner

Here is a picture I took at said racer at Indy a few weeks ago.
Old 09-23-2015 | 06:16 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Sean, Yes seen you I was going to say hi but you were gone. Could of used your setup, with some practice I was only able to get within a second of you. Nice panning shot, to catch the motion!
Old 09-24-2015 | 08:59 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Yeah I finally got the car comfortable to drive again. I couldn't for the life of me get the damn car to turn in. The baseline setup pushes like crazy. I finally pulled off Jon Hall's mid-ohio set up and dropped the gurney, lowered the tire pressures a bit and messed with the rear toe and the car was much more stable.
His original setup was nice, but a bit too loose on throttle for me.
Old 09-24-2015 | 09:32 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Sean can you post a dropbox of your setup?

I think it would be nice if there was a feature on iracing to share setups with your team or league. I'm sure most groups don't share as much as we do, but it would make things a little easier.
Old 09-24-2015 | 09:52 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Sure thing. I'm going to do some practicing tonight when get home. Ill throw it up then.
Old 09-24-2015 | 10:17 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

You doing Barber again? What time I will jump on. Took this week off and spent most of it building my spare SM engine.
Old 09-24-2015 | 10:26 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Yeah most likely. I will probably jump on around 4:30-4:45est.
Old 09-24-2015 | 09:20 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Well I didnt make it on when I thought I would. Damn kids and their homework...but I did make it on.
Here is my set up and the one I started with.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6837h1d1w...ZlPOIu9Xa?dl=0

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread