Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Anthony Nguyen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont quite like how the bmw understeers but im sure that can be fixed with setup. Also...Cota seems a lot more narrow than in real llife. Maybe its just my FOV though.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I think its that config they are running this week, its tight, lots of hairpins.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:57 AM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

I downloaded the new COTA iRacing content tonight and ran the Ruf GT3 Track car for about an hour. At first the frame rate was so slow that it was unbearable. Had to strip down the detail to low on all settings and eliminate shadows, etc. The car was like driving in slow motion at 100mph. The car had tremendous oversteer and understeer at the same time. Played around with setup a bit and did numerous laps, however none clean without * on time. Best time was a 2:14, but as I went longer trying to get a clean lap I got slower and slower eventually giving up at over 2:20's.

It may be only me, but having driven on COTA in real life I am not sure that the simulation from IRacing is ready for prime time. When I was on the track last year with my 944 Turbo there was a ton of grip everywhere. And, the running times were about what we ran at Road America.

Even with the faster Ruf GT3 car I would expect the simulation to have the feel of Road America from a traction and handling perspective. And, it should run at least with the same resolution as Road America that we are racing on tomorrow night. At the same resolution COTA is impossibly slow running vs. Road America simulation.

What do you guys think? Did you download and run it yet?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I downloaded it and played it for 20 minutes or so. I also noticed what seemed like some frame rate jitters and also a lot of artifacting. I'm on a GTX770 at only 1280x800 resolution so I shouldn't be working my card hard enough to really cause these issues IMO.

I got into the 13s in the BMW. Never completed a lap in the RUF that was clean, car seemed to handle really goofy.

Not sure how much I like COTA yet.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I also don't like the extra "BANG" sound they added to the shifting.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

Yeah....that bang during shifting and the backfire pops while slowing is annoying. I plan to turn my engine noise down by 25% or so I don't go into a seizure from the noise.

While running COTA I managed to flip the car several times with different setups mid-corner for what seemed like no reason at all. It was really strange. The setup I ended up running 2:20's with is nowhere close to Road America's setup - which I find strange. When I ran COTA last year in my 944 the setup was really similar....actually a little more compression in the dry with medium bars front and back. If you try that with the Ruf GT3 you better get "digital track insurance" or pad the car like a Michelin Man.

I even tried to go at 40 to 60 mph steady state around the track and had understeer...oversteer and a flip!!! I don't see us trying to race on this track anytime soon. It would be a disaster.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Glenn(Geneva, IL)
I don't see us trying to race on this track anytime soon. It would be a disaster.
Next week
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

The bang is the engine "afterfire". It definitely has the volume turned up too much. I also struggled with the BMW for a while last night. The track was really crowded, but I got down to the 1:30's. It's fun to have a new challenge, so I did enjoy that. Once some reasonable setups start popping up, I think it will be less of an understeering beast. I'm not sure how I feel about the traction control. I don't like the way I drive when I know it's on, but I can be a bit faster with it. For cars like the C6.R it will be a life saver, but the BMW and RUF are pretty well hooked up. I drove most of my laps with the system off, but it will be interesting to see if I turn them back on tonight when it actually counts.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I just did the default setup last night when I took some laps in the BMW, and certainly didn't mess with any TC in the RUF. I have no idea if it was on or off.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

I think the default setup is at 1 on TC and really high on ABS.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Anthony Nguyen
Advanced

Ive seen a Mazda 2 take turn 1 hard and clip the apex. He was on 2 wheels on the verge of flipping the car..so it is possible in real life lol. I dont like the yellow pyramid course cut blockers they have. why not just use the cut course penalty. I almost did a front flip once running directly over it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

Default New COTA IRacing Track Release

I have written the support people at IRacing.com the following on the new COTA track simulation release. I have been able to use almost any of the IRacing cars on any of the tracks I purchased without great difficulty. The new COTA track simulation release in terms of resolution, frame rate, and compatibility with various cars in nearly impossible to drive....with any setup. Even the most basic setup should let you get around the track at 40 to 60 mph steady state with any car without massive understeer and oversteer. I urge anyone else who purchased this new track to communicate any discrepancies they experience with this release:

"I just recently purchased the COTA and the new BMW Z4. I went to try the track with the Porsche Ruf GT3 Track which I race on a regular basis in the Rennlist IRacing League at numerous tracks that you have VIR, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Sebring, and Sonoma, etc. And, I am a Porsche Club Racer and have raced at COTA, Road America, Sebring and Mid-Ohio. My first experience with the track was awful. First of all the resolution requirements are so high on the COTA simulation that the frame rate make it look like a TV Slow Motion camera. I have run all of your tracks mentioned above with various cars over the last few years at very high resolution and my high end system doesn't miss a beat - at the highest resolution settings. However, COTA seems to slow the system to a crawl. Secondly the Ruf GT3 Track and the Mazda MX-5 was impossible to control with basic setups that I have used on all of the IRacing tracks above. I have driven COTA using a Road America setup in real life and there was tons of grip and very neutral handling. In your simulation I could not even drive at 40 - 60 mph steady state around the COTA track without understeering and oversteering everywhere.

This is highly unusual for IRacing, what did your guys do wrong??? I had all of the track and car updates done prior to starting up the COTA simulation. So the Ruf GT3 or Mazda MX-5 should have been updated to work with the new COTA simulation….shouldn't they??? Please let me know what your team is going to do to make the COTA simulation useable."
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't have any FPS problems at COTA running in a 20 car session. I do have a higher end machine but I didn't hear any other complaints? I also don't have all settings maxed either.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

Originally Posted by Anthony Nguyen
Ive seen a Mazda 2 take turn 1 hard and clip the apex. He was on 2 wheels on the verge of flipping the car..so it is possible in real life lol. I dont like the yellow pyramid course cut blockers they have. why not just use the cut course penalty. I almost did a front flip once running directly over it.
Yeah, Tony when I flipped the Ruf GT3 on the COTA simulation I was doing about 50 mph going through turn 12 way off the apex. It almost seems that the track is not completely figured out yet with all of the cars. Maybe the Z4 GT3 works, I have not tried that yet. But shouldn't they all work??? I have never had a new track from IRacing that has performed so bad in terms of frame rate and car / Track compatibility. Even the most basic setup should allow you to go around the track at 40 to 60 mph steady state without massive handling issues.

Let me know what you find as you drive COTA more.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Track Day

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I didn't have any FPS problems at COTA running in a 20 car session. I do have a higher end machine but I didn't hear any other complaints? I also don't have all settings maxed either.
Which car were you running in the 20 car session???

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread