Notices
DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:37 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Great thread, this suck that I will need to have this done in Aug. that will be 4 years but only about 5-6k miles, at 3,875 now. Just seems wrong, lol
Old 02-04-2021, 12:47 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Norge911
Did you have too gap the new plugs?
No they were pre gapped but I did check the gap to make sure they were the same as the ones I pulled out. No adjustments were needed.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Yes, I have. Alot more stuff has to be removed for that to be done-I tackled it when I did the Tial inlets about 8 months back. In retrospec, I should have done the plugs then as the intercoolers, cages and hoses were out and everything was easily accessible. It all works out in the end-now you guys can see how to do it without having to pull all that stuff off.

Back when replacing the air filter and inlets. Perfect opportunity to get the spark plugs done.
How much time did it take to get this stuff off? This was necessary to replace the air filter, correct? Read the whole thread and wondering if I would want to do filter and plugs at same time and if I can figure out if I can do. I have a lift and have done some extensive hot rodding work and other car and truck jobs. Just not familiar with Porsches but lack of familiarity hasn't stopped me from other projects. Thanks for the knowledge and help you are providing us!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:13 PM
polobai
Drifting

Took a few hours-not necessary to pull the intercoolers and cages to do the air filter. I had to do so to replace the inlet pipes. None of this needs to come off for the plugs-just remove the rear wheels and inlet tubes that connect to the turbos. I was showing how much easier it would have been to access the plugs at the time with the picture above-hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:45 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Took a few hours-not necessary to pull the intercoolers and cages to do the air filter. I had to do so to replace the inlet pipes. None of this needs to come off for the plugs-just remove the rear wheels and inlet tubes that connect to the turbos. I was showing how much easier it would have been to access the plugs at the time with the picture above-hope that helps!

I am missing something here, sorry! I think I understand that to R&R the air filter, I need to remove the bumper. However, would simple bumper removal assist in R&R plugs if I am doing both or would I still need to remove the intercoolers and cages? I suppose removing those would allow better access to the plugs along with bumper removal? Thanks again. Also, is there a recommended manual for these procedures?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:07 PM
polobai
Drifting

No worries, I will do my best to explain. Removing the bumper alone wont help with getting access to the plugs-if you are going in to replace intercoolers or inlets then sure but if you are there to do the air filter, it wont save you any more time or give you any more access.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
hcamp19 (02-24-2021), LloydStC (02-26-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:41 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Thanks again. You mentioned needing an e11 socket for part of the spark plug job. I am looking at tools needed for various maintenance work (PDK fluid, plugs, air filter, etc.) on my 2017 991.2 , should I purchase an external torx set (I already have a standard torx set)? I recently changed oil and filter which was a breeze.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 PM
polobai
Drifting

Yes, a cheap set will do just fine (Harbor Frieght, etc). It’s needed to remove the turbo inlet. If you need anything else or have any other questions don’t hesitate to reach out.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:38 PM
hcamp19
Advanced

Yes, a cheap set will do just fine (Harbor Frieght, etc). It’s needed to remove the turbo inlet. If you need anything else or have any other questions don’t hesitate to reach out.
Much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (02-25-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

In one of the other threads, it was recommended to get the tool below to remove the spark plugs on the 991.1. I can confirm that this tool DOES NOT work on the 991.2 as the 991.2 uses a 14mm 12 point socket. Thankfully I had one around from my days of installing head studs on Supra motors. I used this socket in addition to a magnet to pull out the plugs.

Don’t buy this for you 991.2
I just did the plugs on 991.1 GT3, also purchased the tool above, it also DOES NOT work for the GT3. They use the same 12pt socket. I already had one for my old M3.

FWIW, changing plugs on the GT3 is so much easier!! I didn't remove anything from the car except the heat shields over the coil packs. Start to finish was under 1.5hrs for my first time.
polobai (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:52 PM
polobai
Drifting

Great to hear about the GT3 plug changes-one day I hope to get a touring in my garage!
Old 05-17-2021, 02:53 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,290 Posts

some musings on this job after recently doing it at 4 years + 60k miles...

- plugs are indeed at an an angle incompatible with the top of the plug well
- my 3/8" extension measuring at 12.4mm thick was too thick if fully seated in my socket, it hit the top of the plug well causing a lot of drag on the wrench
- my Kobalt 14mm 12 point deep well socket at 19.6mm thick was just a bit too wide for the base of the plug well, causing even more drag
- my 14mm socket required the plug to be centered in it perfect, as the electrode handily slotted into a circular cutout at the driver end of the socket

I ended up grinding down my 10" 3/8 drive extension at around the 4 inch mark, +/- 2 inches, to shave off 1mm of diameter. this helped with contacting the top of the plug well.
I also ground down the socket to shave off .75mm, which helped immensely with dragging inside the plug well.

Even with grinding down the extension I found that only half-engaging the socket with the socket extension allowed me to engage it at a greater angle so I didn't hit the top of the plug well at all.

Removing the bumper cover and charge pipe just off the turbo allows a straight shot to the rearmost plug and coil pack when using around 26" of extensions. The hole for the intercooler air exit passing through the bumper support, about three inches back from where the fender lip would be, is perfect. Through doing this I did not need to use any wobble adapters for the plugs, and only needed a wobble socket for the T30 torx screw on the middle cylinder for each side.

The passenger side intake piping is well lubricated due to the PCV system routing to what porsche calls the "intake manifold" there -- the U-bend pipe on the atmosphere side of the turbo. This makes it the easier side to work on, if a bit dirtier. The driver side lacks such lubrication, so removing the U-pipe and charge piping is considerably more difficult. I ended up driving a wedge between the U pipe and the turbo inlet flange and spraying penetrating oil in there, slowly prying it off bit by bit. My driver side inlet flange is absolutely roached, and the U-pipe sealing lip is permanently warped as a result.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:42 PM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the hose clamps that secure the Turbo inlet pipe in place? This was stated in the shop manual posted in another thread, but there was no mention of it in your description.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...e-manifold.pdf

Thank you!

Last edited by P4H; 02-22-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:37 AM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I remove this inlet pipe on my car every 2-3k miles to clean the oil out of the turbo. I had this pipe off about 7 times already always reusing the original clamp. Not saying this is correct but I have had no issues at 14K miles.

Originally Posted by P4H
Did you replace the hose clamps that secure the Turbo inlet pipe in place? This was stated in the shop manual posted in another thread, but there was no mention of it in your description.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...e-manifold.pdf

Thank you!
polobai (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:30 AM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D2M
I remove this inlet pipe on my car every 2-3k miles to clean the oil out of the turbo. I had this pipe off about 7 times already always reusing the original clamp. Not saying this is correct but I have had no issues at 14K miles.
That's good information. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance