991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
And the coils are out. On this side there was not much play in the connector wires as they were tied into a loom that has a ground near each coil. Take your time and they will come out without removing the ground wire.

Ready to pull the plugs
Great job so far. What did these two pipes and one connector come off of?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-26-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:20 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Thanks-should have mentioned that these are for my air/oil separator aka catch can (the silver tubes). Generally you will only have the black tube which connects to the turbo inlet hose on the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:23 AM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
I wouldn’t do it initially by myself. If I had a “Porsche Buddy” where we could work together, and learn along the way, then perhaps. Luckily, I’m at 7500 mile so I should be good for a while.
I said the same thing (only at 15k miles) but it is time dependent as well. So if you hit 3 years, its recommended to change them out so they don't seize in the head regardless of mileage. Honestly I think the likelihood of that happening is small, however I dont want to give Porsche another reason to deny a claim for warranty work if so needed.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:25 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time for the photographs and posting this! You confirmed that the lower heat shields and turbos can stay on which is a big relief.

I assume you have all 6 coils off now? Also I am very curious how your plugs look once they are out and what combination of sockets and extensions you used to remove them.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:27 PM
polobai
Drifting

Yes, I have removed all 6 coils as of now. I did them one side at a time (did the 3 on the drivers side first), replaced and buttoned everything back up then took for a drive. This way if there was a misfire or issue, I know it came from that bank before tearing into the other. Now I am working on the passenger side and have the coils remove and am ready to remove the oem plugs if I can find some time in the day today. See post # 8 for pics of the old plugs and for sockets and extensions, the main thing is to have an assortment of 1/4 inch wobble extensions and 3/8s extensions with a wobble as well. I believe I have the standard length extensions in both (3, 6 and 9 inch). For the sockets, you will need a 12 point 14mm socket (3/8 drive) to remove the plugs, standard torx bits/drivers and an e10 socket to remove the clamp on the turbo inlet tube. Hope this helps,

Last edited by polobai; 03-12-2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: had wrong size socket for worm clamp-(had e11, should be e10)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:40 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 468 Posts

Yes, I have. Alot more stuff has to be removed for that to be done-I tackled it when I did the Tial inlets about 8 months back. In retrospec, I should have done the plugs then as the intercoolers, cages and hoses were out and everything was easily accessible. It all works out in the end-now you guys can see how to do it without having to pull all that stuff off.

Back when replacing the air filter and inlets. Perfect opportunity to get the spark plugs done.
@polobai So, I'm curious about this because I can't tell from your earlier photos... You remove the bumper cover to do the spark plugs right? So if having the spark plugs done by the dealer or indy mechanic, how much additional time should be accounted for if adding the engine air filter replacement? I know that the dealer charges 900 for the spark plugs alone (P&L) and 550 for the air filter alone (P&K) - Obviously these would be less with an indy. Just curious to know if combining the two jobs, by how time (labor) would be reduced? To know if it's worth it to do both at once since they're already tearing things apart for the plugs.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-26-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm amazed to see how different are Porsche maintenance standards depending on the country they sell. Maybe in more competitive countries like the US they suggest to keep plugs longer ?

Today I send my car for the 20.000 kilometers maintenance (12.500 miles) and they told me they needed to change the plugs. I was surprised but didn't argue this time since this maintenance was included for free when I purchased my car.
polobai (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:32 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, I have removed all 6 coils as of now. I did them one side at a time (did the 3 on the drivers side first), replaced and buttoned everything back up then took for a drive. This way if there was a misfire or issue, I know it came from that bank before tearing into the other. Now I am working on the passenger side and have the coils remove and am ready to remove the oem plugs if I can find some time in the day today. See post # 8 for pics of the old plugs and for sockets and extensions, the main thing is to have an assortment of 1/4 inch wobble extensions and 3/8s extensions with a wobble as well. I believe I have the standard length extensions in both (3, 6 and 9 inch). For the sockets, you will need a 12 point 14mm socket (3/8 drive) to remove the plugs, standard torx bits/drivers and an e11 socket to remove the clamp on the turbo inlet tube. Hope this helps,
Sorry I should have started at the top. I so was so excited to see someone tackle this I made the mistake of jumping to the end thinking this was a continuation of one of the old threads dealing with 991.2 plugs. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@polobai So, I'm curious about this because I can't tell from your earlier photos... You remove the bumper cover to do the spark plugs right? So if having the spark plugs done by the dealer or indy mechanic, how much additional time should be accounted for if adding the engine air filter replacement? I know that the dealer charges 900 for the spark plugs alone (P&L) and 550 for the air filter alone (P&K) - Obviously these would be less with an indy. Just curious to know if combining the two jobs, by how time (labor) would be reduced? To know if it's worth it to do both at once since they're already tearing things apart for the plugs.
No, sorry for the confusion. The pic above was showing how much more accessible the plugs are if you have the intercooler and cages out. In this case, I did not remove the bumper cover, just rear wheels. I would say that this wont be one where you will save much money by doing the filter at the same time as it entails an entirely different scope of work. I would save the air filter for a time where the bumper has to be removed.
Tier1Terrier (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Sorry I should have started at the top. I so was so excited to see someone tackle this I made the mistake of jumping to the end thinking this was a continuation of one of the old threads dealing with 991.2 plugs. Thanks again.
No worries at all, let me know if anything else is needed.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:46 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Just for clarification, the replacement cycle on the plugs for the Carrera Base, (T) is 4 years or 30,000 miles, correct?

Thanks again for the write up, you've done some nice projects to your T.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM
polobai
Drifting

I believe for the 991.2 3.0 motors the interval for the plugs are 3 years/30k miles (whichever comes first). My pleasure to help the community-knowledge is power and whatever we can help with will make it easier for all!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:07 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe for the 991.2 3.0 motors the interval for the plugs are 3 years/30k miles (whichever comes first). My pleasure to help the community-knowledge is power and whatever we can help with will make it easier for all!
Not to dispute, and I've been known to read something wrong plenty of times, but when I looked at my maintenance schedule booklet found with our owners manual I thought I read 4 years or 30,000 miles for the base Carrera.
Has an addendum come out for the plug interval for the base model?
I have seen the plug change interval for the Turbo model of 3 years or 30,000 miles, which is different than the base model.
I'll definitely change the plugs out when required, but would rather wait for the 4 year interval if possible when I do my air filter.
(And I hope I'm not coming across as a D, apologies if it seems that I am, I'm just trying to nail this interval down and differentiate the base Carrera vs the Turbo.)

Old 01-26-2021, 04:33 PM
polobai
Drifting

No worries at all-I have heard them all and for me would rather do it early. I have heard 4/40k, 3/30k 4/30k and 3/40k. My car is a bit modified so I figured it would be good to start fresh. If anyone knows for sure please chime in.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:35 PM
polobai
Drifting

Got the plugs out from the passenger side!

Quick Reply: 991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance