DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 08:21 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
Does anyone else think the change interval of 991.2 spark plugs of every 30k miles or 3 years is unreasonable? I have a 2019 911T with 15k miles. I'm "due" for plugs due to 3 year requirement, but I'm pretty sure that with 15k miles they're in good/great shape. I've owned several sports cars, but never heard of a three year replacement schedule for plugs. I was quoted $900 by a reputable independent shop, but due to this thread (and having a 2 post lift), I'll do it myself when the time is right. I understand keeping up with scheduled maintenance for warranty and taking proper care of your car reasons, but this replacement schedule seems ludicrous to me.
Its actually due at 4 years-I would hold off and do it as a diy next year.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:27 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 537 Posts

Did my 17 4s with 20k miles this year. Only did it because I was a bit concerned about them not cumming out do well if I left them longer
Old 12-12-2022, 10:07 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

The old wives tale that won't come out is just that. Plugs are coated to prevent anti-seizing. The spark plug boot seal so well no moisture can even get to the spark plugs. The only problem I ever heard of is the coil pack bolt rust to the coil pack and won't back out. This occurs when driving in damp muddy roads everyday or road salt. Easy solution when you reassemble put some grease on the coil pack screw shaft it will never corrode. As far as replacing plugs there are some fantastic tutorials. One is for replacing the inter coolers but that how you get to the plugs anyway. I think the PIA to replace plugs without removing rear cover with a multitude of extensions is inefficient and risk cross threading. I did read a thread where a guy replaced plugs without removing inter coolers and had a clear shot working through the intercooler frame. that would be my plan, only requires removing bumper.

To answer your original question I would not replace until you hit the mileage, even then you could probably go double. I pulled plugs on vehicles with 100K miles plug looked new. Only time I seen plugs fail with low miles/hours is in wave runners or boats where on some cylinders the exhaust valve is open and over the winter the water in the exhaust system exposes the plug to moisture for months at a time with no heat cylcle. Oh the plug still never seized to the head........
The following users liked this post:
911T4ME (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:22 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

No need to remove the bumpers "MMMM"s suggestion makes the process easier
Old 12-12-2022, 10:51 PM
HardRider
Racer

How is it easier to fiddle with extensions, blind holes, vs spending 15 minutes removing the bumper. If you aren't capable of removing the bumper and inter coolers you are not capable of reinstalling the spark plugs to the correct toque without cross threading
Old 12-12-2022, 11:46 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Did not take off the bumper or the inner coolers, only took off the wheel liner and hoses and this is what access looks like on the passenger side after the plugs have been removed.

911BOSS (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 09:59 AM
HardRider
Racer

Thats looks doable! Is driver side the same. Air filter is also to be replaced, again it is huge and could probably go 50K miles but can you replace it without removing the bumper LOL. Removing the bumper is easy, I remove without removing the wheels. Truth be told it harder in my opinion to remove the tires than the bumper.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 468 Posts

I don't know if this video has already been posted in this thread and I'm sure the creator of this video is a member here but I'm just placing it here as I think it will be very helpful to many. This guy does it only removing the rear wheels (bumper & intercoolers/cages stay in place). The part that this guy makes look easy is the removal of the turbo inlet pipe which I'm sure doesn't just pop/slide out as easy as it appears in the video. Nonetheless, this is a great video.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 12-13-2022 at 10:48 AM.
VacantSky (12-20-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:45 AM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Good find, I didn't see this video when I did my search. The turbo inlet does pop out easily. I decided to install the Vector Performance Oil catch can while I have it apart.. Catch can installation didn't make sense until I saw the turbo inlet configuration
Old 12-13-2022, 12:53 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Teir1 Thanks for posting the video, I somehow missed that when I did mine. A 14mm swivel socket like this one made a big difference in accessing all the plugs and also making sure they went in at the correct angle which is not straight. The thin wall of a socket like this one means it will not drag on the wall on the access tube at that angle. The magnet is also a great feature to remove and install the plugs. In my opinion this is a must have tool for any DIY plug change.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 911BOSS; 12-14-2022 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Tier1Terrier (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 02:31 PM
HardRider
Racer

That is the best tutorial I have seen on spark plug change. All others should be deleted...
Old 12-13-2022, 09:29 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 529 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the contributions to the original information posted by Polobai. This is such a good reference for this DIY.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:28 PM
VacantSky
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It's me

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I don't know if this video has already been posted in this thread and I'm sure the creator of this video is a member here but I'm just placing it here as I think it will be very helpful to many. This guy does it only removing the rear wheels (bumper & intercoolers/cages stay in place). The part that this guy makes look easy is the removal of the turbo inlet pipe which I'm sure doesn't just pop/slide out as easy as it appears in the video. Nonetheless, this is a great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mqf...ist=LL&index=4
I am on here! However I'm pretty inactive and mainly scroll the classifieds, this may even be my first post. The video hasn't been posted before so thank you for sharing it! Glad it's useful! I did make the inlet pipe removal look easy, keep in mind I had lights and a camera in the already cramped work area so it took a couple takes to get a nice smooth/clean shot of it . That being said it's not hard, just needs a little elbow grease the first time.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and currently produce aircraft maintenance training videos for the Air Force, so I figured I could make some basic scheduled maintenance DIY videos for the more intricate tasks for the 991.2 as they come due under my ownership. I daily my car, evident by all the grime in my video, and I'm now rolling 60k miles so I will be doing to serpentine belt here shortly. I can create a video for that process too.

-Kenny

Last edited by VacantSky; 12-20-2022 at 11:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by VacantSky:
GreazyThumbs (05-14-2024), rubycaymanr (12-20-2022), wquiles (12-20-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 07:54 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by VacantSky
I am on here! However I'm pretty inactive and mainly scroll the classifieds, this may even be my first post. The video hasn't been posted before so thank you for sharing it! Glad it's useful! I did make the inlet pipe removal look easy, keep in mind I had lights and a camera in the already cramped work area so it took a couple takes to get a nice smooth/clean shot of it . That being said it's not hard, just needs a little elbow grease the first time.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and currently produce aircraft maintenance training videos for the Air Force, so I figured I could make some basic scheduled maintenance DIY videos for the more intricate tasks for the 991.2 as they come due under my ownership. I daily my car, evident by all the grime in my video, and I'm now rolling 60k miles so I will be doing to serpentine belt here shortly. I can create a video for that process too.

-Kenny
Welcome, Kenny! Your spark plug video was awesome. Great introductory post!!! And yes, PLEASE DO create and share a video of the serpentine belt replacement. This is one of the next big services that many 991.2s are due for given their ages.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:17 AM
wquiles
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Welcome, Kenny! Your spark plug video was awesome. Great introductory post!!! And yes, PLEASE DO create and share a video of the serpentine belt replacement. This is one of the next big services that many 991.2s are due for given their ages.
+1 !!!

Quick Reply: 991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance