Got it. Thanks.
Also, mine is an ehybrid.
Shipping destination: Australia
Old 07-09-2023, 11:49 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi all!

I'm new to the Cayenne forum, but I've been here on the 964 forum since 2015. The end of this month will mark 9 years of 964 ownership!

Yesterday, my wife and I placed an order for a 2024 Cayenne at Porsche River Oaks (no affiliation) in Houston, TX. We went in yesterday to test drive a base Cayenne after having visited a few weeks back to check out the new model. I wanted to know how the base engine performed and I was very pleased with the test drive. After considering several cars the dealer had in-stock and inbound, we asked if we could build one that was more to our liking. Specifically, we wanted Chromite Black exterior with Black interior, along with the air suspension, PDCC, and sport chrono. None of the base Cayennes the dealer had or were slated to receive are currently ordered with the performance-oriented options we want. The dealer agreed without any pushback or trying to get us to purchase a vehicle they already had, which we really appreciated (promise I'm not trying to give a sales pitch, but we were genuinely very pleased with our experience especially as we are new customers). The allotment we received is already at the change freeze point, so it felt like we were having the stars align. The Cayenne is slated to go into step 3 "manufacturing process starting soon" tomorrow (7/10), step 4 "manufacturing started" August 20th, and it looks like it is currently scheduled to arrive to the dealer September 28th. I guess even though the allotment is already at the change freeze point, because it hasn't yet moved to step 3, we were able to build it to our specifications which we were very excited about! The Cayenne will be replacing our 2016 Audi Q5 that we bought CPO with 20k miles in late 2016 and is the first "modern" Porsche we will have owned.

Originally, we were planning on ordering Artic Grey after seeing one at the dealer a few weeks back, but when we visited on Saturday, they had one in Chromite Black and we actually really loved the color. The Chromite Black at PRO had the night green leather interior which looked nice, but we wanted black. Here is our final options selection:
  • Chromite Black exterior
  • Standard interior in black
  • Premium Package Plus
  • Adaptive Air suspension
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Window trim in high gloss black
  • Model designation in high gloss black
  • 21" Cayenne Turbo Design Wheels in Vesuvius Grey
  • Porsche crest on front headrests
One note about the Premium Package Plus: the dealer informed us that currently Porsche cannot provide the HD Matrix headlights due to chip shortage, so they have a reduced-price version of the Premium Package Plus that includes everything but the HD Matrix headlights. I wasn't really bothered by this as we originally were intending to select the regular Premium Package, but we were swayed that the inclusion of ventilated front seats would be nice in Houston, which I don't disagree with. It will include some additional nice features that maybe I wouldn't have selected otherwise, but I think I'll be happy to have.

Also, we chose not to option the passenger display. It's neat, and it seems to be optioned by the dealer on most of their vehicles, but we just didn't think it was a feature we would use. The car we test drove had it and I can confidently say that from the driver's seat I could not see anything, so the polarization definitely works. Another oddity that I will have to get used to is the move of the gear selector to the dashboard. Within the first moments of the test drive, I found myself reaching for the gear selector as I had to do a multipoint turn to get out of the parking spot they had placed the car. We discussed looking for a low-mileage 2020-2022 CPO or even a new 2023 if we could find one still on a lot but ultimately decided we wanted to order a car and make it our very own. We really like the 2024 Cayenne and think that it will be an excellent vehicle!

A little off-topic, but for fun, here's my 1991 964 Carrera 2 coupe parked in front of a 991.1 GTS:

My 964 is manual coupe finished in guards red (obviously) with cashmere beige interior and has nearly 130k miles on the clock, 30k of which have happened under my stewardship.

Last edited by sooner964; 07-10-2023 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added extra info
The following 6 users liked this post by sooner964:
JediRocker (07-12-2023), LDT (07-10-2023), Needsdecaf (07-10-2023), rajatparihar (07-10-2023), Schnave (07-09-2023), user1029 (07-10-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2023, 10:01 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Congrats fellow Houstonian! Beautiful 964, I don't recognize it from any of the LSRPCA events but I'm on the North side.

I can tell you without a doubt that you will not regret for one second having the vented seats here in Swamplandia. They are, IMO, a must.

I definitely would consider adding the full leather. It makes a huge difference to the interior level of panache for (relatively) not much increase on the overall price. Not sure if you can still change or if you have reached the fixed point (don't go by the website, ask your Sales associate for order status).

Enjoy and happy waiting!
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Electric Lizard (07-10-2023), sooner964 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 10:50 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Congrats fellow Houstonian! Beautiful 964, I don't recognize it from any of the LSRPCA events but I'm on the North side.

I can tell you without a doubt that you will not regret for one second having the vented seats here in Swamplandia. They are, IMO, a must.

I definitely would consider adding the full leather. It makes a huge difference to the interior level of panache for (relatively) not much increase on the overall price. Not sure if you can still change or if you have reached the fixed point (don't go by the website, ask your Sales associate for order status).

Enjoy and happy waiting!
Agree completely. From what's all over this website, the standard interior "feels very cheap". I've had vented seats since my 2001 E430 and they are a must in SE TX (also handy here in Middle TN). Before I switched to a 2024 order, I was able to change my options after my 23 freeze date.
The following users liked this post:
sooner964 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 05:07 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Agree completely. From what's all over this website, the standard interior "feels very cheap". I've had vented seats since my 2001 E430 and they are a must in SE TX (also handy here in Middle TN). Before I switched to a 2024 order, I was able to change my options after my 23 freeze date.
There is something else that is not mentioned often enough. Even if you pay for the leather you do not get the nice "standard" deviated stitching you got standard in all porsche models until now. With this cayenne you have to pay for this also - and it is not cheap.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:47 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
There is something else that is not mentioned often enough. Even if you pay for the leather you do not get the nice "standard" deviated stitching you got standard in all porsche models until now. With this cayenne you have to pay for this also - and it is not cheap.
I’m now on my fifth Porsche and the 24 Cayenne hybrid will be (assuming that it is actually produced one day) the sixth. All had upgraded interior, but I don’t recall any having deviated stitching (though I can’t say if this is actually the case or just my fading memory).
TurboJake (07-10-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:57 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a suggestion. If you have gone the distance for PDCC and air suspension, I would strongly recommend Rear Axel Steering. This option provides a smaller turning radius as well as more direct drive.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Carman2653
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, I did order Rear Axle Steering with the PDCC and air suspension. Also, my Cayenne S has just reached another milestone (07 - arrived at the German port). The question will be how long does it site there before being assigned a shipped based on what I have read from the previous posts.
svinaik1 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Carman2653
Advanced

Also, did anyone hear that the German port delay was due to a software update?
Old 07-11-2023, 09:47 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carman2653
Yes, I did order Rear Axle Steering with the PDCC and air suspension. Also, my Cayenne S has just reached another milestone (07 - arrived at the German port). The question will be how long does it site there before being assigned a shipped based on what I have read from the previous posts.
Mine is also sitting at the German Port since June 20th. Tracking still shows leaving the German port on 07/14 and arrival in USA on July 28th. Not sure if this will turn out to be true.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:22 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Enjoy and happy waiting!
Thank you @Needsdecaf ! I unfortunately have not been to a GTG in quite some time. I used to attend the north GTGs when they were at Market Street in the Woodlands, the NW GTGs, and central. I'm hoping to get back to attending them soon! My dad has a guards red 964 as well and we used to attend the GTGs together, but my parents moved to Oklahoma City in 2017 for work and that is coincidentally around the same time I stopped going as much. I do intend to change that soon, though!

Thanks for the recommendation around the full leather interior. I will check to see whether any changes are still possible. TYD is showing we moved into step 03 today so it may or may not be possible. For what it's worth, the Cayenne we test drove had the standard interior and I did not feel it was lacking quality, but maybe that says more about the Q5 it is replacing (and certainly says something about the 964's spartan interior ). The dealer also had several with full leather interiors which definitely look nice, but it was an area we were willing to compromise on for some of the performance options. The Q5 has been used as a true utility vehicle lugging around dogs, lumber for various DIY projects, IKEA runs, and was packed to the gills when we moved from Spring into the city core a few years back and we intend to use the Cayenne similarly, so if we can't make any changes at this point, maybe it will be for the better wear-and-tear wise.

We are very excited about our order and I think the next few months are going to feel like the longest so far this year! Late September / Early October can't come soon enough! Last year we ordered my wife a new four door Mini Cooper S and that was a fun process. Ordering a Porsche feels surreal!

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Thanks @Electric Lizard for the tip, I will have to check with our SA to find out whether it is still possible to make any changes. When we placed the order on Saturday it sounded like the final lock was imminent early this week, so we may be at the point of no return. I definitely agree the ventilated seats will be much appreciated for the summer months here that seem to be getting longer and hotter each year. I had them in a 2014 Silverado and I liked them, but they were very noisy. I'm willing to bet that is due to it being Chevrolet and also an earlier iteration of the technology.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:03 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

Thanks. My TYD says that it will be assigned a ship today (July 11) which is the same day that it arrived. Based on your situation, I find that difficult to believe but hopefully, they are starting to load cars on these ships at a faster pace! 🙏🏻
Old 07-11-2023, 12:18 PM
svinaik1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carman2653
Thanks. My TYD says that it will be assigned a ship today (July 11) which is the same day that it arrived. Based on your situation, I find that difficult to believe but hopefully, they are starting to load cars on these ships at a faster pace! 🙏🏻
I truly hope that happens for you .

my Porsche tracker has listed next step as “ left German Port” . It does not mention anything like “ assigned a ship” . Am I looking at different tool ?
Old 07-11-2023, 12:19 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

No. You are correct. Milestone 08 is left the German port!
Old 07-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Obelix13
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Good morning. You are right. Mine is manufactured and blocked until September for a software update. It's sad. I should have it at the end of the month...

Quick Reply: Share your MY24 build progress