Sponsored By:

Share your MY24 build progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:46 PM
nguyentai8
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KACAttack223
I’ve got both the hd matrix and 4 zone but I received an email back in June that production had been complete so who knows…
I have the 4 zone and passenger display.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:40 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 245 Posts

My s made it to the Houston port. Scheduled to go to dealer on the 18. Curious if it will happen on time.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:30 PM
svinaik1
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
My s made it to the Houston port. Scheduled to go to dealer on the 18. Curious if it will happen on time.
Congratulations.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:48 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Folks, I need some input on out of state purchase.

I am a resident of Florida and will be registering the car in Florida but I purchased my Cayenne S from my dealer in Massachusetts. ( I had previous relations and got allocation spot immediately for Cayenne S). How does the registration / taxes work ?.

Since I will be physically picking up the vehicle in MA and driving to Florida, Can I register the car in Florida ( and get License Plates) while vehicle is still in MA and then mount the License plates in MA and drive back to Florida?

Will I be paying the FL tax or MA tax ?

Appreciate input from folks who have gone through out of state purchase.

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:48 AM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 521 Likes on 377 Posts

You pay tax in the state in which the car is registered. I live in SC and have purchased 3 vehicles in GA. Always pay SC tax which is capped at $500.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:46 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by svinaik1
I am a resident of Florida and will be registering the car in Florida but I purchased my Cayenne S from my dealer in Massachusetts. How does the registration / taxes work?

Since I will be physically picking up the vehicle in MA and driving to Florida, Can I register the car in Florida ( and get License Plates) while vehicle is still in MA and then mount the License plates in MA and drive back to Florida?

Will I be paying the FL tax or MA tax ?
BLUF - Your choice, depending how you work it . . .

States may differ in vehicle tax law, and laws change over time. I’ve purchased several vehicles out-of-state and circumstance dictated which State got paid.

Usually, as LDT stated, you pay tax to the state of registration. Virginia has a provision that doesn’t double-tax. Tax paid to another State, regardless of the other state’s tax rate, suffices as tax payment in full to the State of Virginia. This exempted me from paying 4.15% Virginia tax by paying only 2% to the State of Alabama — for the win!

Other states such as Massachusetts, charge you sales tax even if you drive away to register in another state. Exception: If an Interstate carrier delivers the vehicle outside Massachusetts, no tax due. From Massachusetts Department of Revenue:
https://www.mass.gov/regulations/830...and-deliveries

“If the purchaser or the purchaser's agent takes possession of the property within Massachusetts, whether or not for redelivery or use outside Massachusetts, the sale is taxable”

This applied to me, coincidently, on my 993 purchase in Florida for registration in Virginia. At that time, Virginia did not have tax reciprocity with Florida. I would have had to pay 6% to Florida and 4.15% to Virginia. The dealer worked with me: He said he had to collect tax unless he “saw the vehicle depart his lot on a trailer bound for Virginia”. He also said, with a wink, “I won’t be following it to see where it goes after it leaves my lot.” He then handed me a business card and said call this guy. We signed the tax-exempt forms and loaded the 993 on the trailer, drove down the street to a shopping center, and off-loaded it. I proceeded to drive it home and pay taxes to Virginia — for the win!

Check with the Massachusetts dealer to see how strictly they interpret the “interstate carrier” definition. You might arrange a similar “transport” as I did.

Good news and bad news: Florida has tax reciprocity with other states.
https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_lib...​​
More here:
https://floridarevenue.com/Pages/res...​​

​​​​​​​Credit for Tax Paid Outside Florida

“A credit against any Florida sales and use tax or surtax due on a motor vehicle is allowed to any purchaser who provides documentation that a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid to another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Example: If you purchase a motor vehicle in a state that has a sales tax rate of 4% you must pay an additional 2%, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, when the motor vehicle is brought into Florida and registered, licensed, or titled in Florida.”

The bad news: Massachusetts tax rate is 6.25% vs Florida’s 6.0% rate. You’ll pay an extra 0.25% unless you want to transport the vehicle via carrier to Florida.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2023 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
svinaik1 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 10:06 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
BLUF - Your choice, depending how you work it . . .

States may differ in vehicle tax law, and laws change over time. I’ve purchased several vehicles out-of-state and circumstance dictated which State got paid.

Usually, as LDT stated, you pay tax to the state of registration. Virginia has a provision that doesn’t double-tax. Tax paid to another State, regardless of the other state’s tax rate, suffices as tax payment in full to the State of Virginia. This exempted me from paying 4.15% Virginia tax by paying only 2% to the State of Alabama — for the win!

Other states such as Massachusetts, charge you sales tax even if you drive away to register in another state. Exception: If an Interstate carrier delivers the vehicle outside Massachusetts, no tax due. From Massachusetts Department of Revenue:
https://www.mass.gov/regulations/830...and-deliveries

“If the purchaser or the purchaser's agent takes possession of the property within Massachusetts, whether or not for redelivery or use outside Massachusetts, the sale is taxable”

This applied to me, coincidently, on my 993 purchase in Florida for registration in Virginia. At that time, Virginia did not have tax reciprocity with Florida. I would have had to pay 6% to Florida and 4.15% to Virginia. The dealer worked with me: He said he had to collect tax unless he “saw the vehicle depart his lot on a trailer bound for Virginia”. He also said, with a wink, “I won’t be following it to see where it goes after it leaves my lot.” He then handed me a business card and said call this guy. We signed the tax-exempt forms and loaded the 993 on the trailer, drove down the street to a shopping center, and off-loaded it. I proceeded to drive it home and pay taxes to Virginia — for the win!

Check with the Massachusetts dealer to see how strictly they interpret the “interstate carrier” definition. You might arrange a similar “transport” as I did.

Good news and bad news: Florida has tax reciprocity with other states.
https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_lib...​​
More here:
https://floridarevenue.com/Pages/res...​​

​​​​​​​Credit for Tax Paid Outside Florida

“A credit against any Florida sales and use tax or surtax due on a motor vehicle is allowed to any purchaser who provides documentation that a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid to another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Example: If you purchase a motor vehicle in a state that has a sales tax rate of 4% you must pay an additional 2%, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, when the motor vehicle is brought into Florida and registered, licensed, or titled in Florida.”

The bad news: Massachusetts tax rate is 6.25% vs Florida’s 6.0% rate. You’ll pay an extra 0.25% unless you want to transport the vehicle via carrier to Florida.
Thank you Schnave.... Truly grateful for a very thorough response.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

One more thing. The temporary tag is a sticky wicket. Unlike Virginia, Florida doesn’t seem to issue temporary tags for vehicles purchased out of state. Massachusetts issues temporary tags for vehicles purchased and driven to another state for registration. However, in addition to the 6.25% sales tax, you’ll have to pay at least one month’s property tax, which is very expensive. If the temporary tag’s valid dates span two months, say from July 29th to August 4th, you’ll owe two months property tax for a one week plate. Ouch!
https://www.mass.gov/doc/non-residen...sheet/download

For a new car, the rate is 2.5% of 90% of the vehicle’s MSRP. For a 100K vehicle, that’s an extra $187.50 per month, or $375 if the temporary plate valid dates span two months, on top of the $6,250 sales tax. That’s a pretty hefty toll for driving a few miles from the dealer to the state border. Small wonder people are fleeing the Northeast for Florida!
https://www.mass.gov/guides/motor-vehicle-excise

That was the same situation when I bought my 993 in Florida. Just between you and me, I brought a current Virginia plate from my other vehicle and used it on my two-day drive home from the shopping center parking lot to Virginia. Although difficult, I kept my speed down to avoid provoking a traffic stop and the inevitably awkward conversation about my plates.

You may wish to check with your dealer to find out more about interstate carriers (or down the street carriers), temporary tags, and excise tax.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:22 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine is finally on its way ! Sat at the port for a couple of weeks which based on other threads not too bad... I was able to narrow it down to two ships potentially it would be loaded on... the first one changed directions, the second is spot on. You can use vesselfinder.com to look at the ships and routes. Can't wait now...
Old 07-14-2023, 10:21 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Glad to see your vehicle got on the ship. Mine has been sitting at port since June 20th and the TYD showed July 14th. as the day when it will get shipped out but I have not received any update yet.

If I may ask, when did your vehicle got to the German port?. This will give me some rough idea.

Also, Which cayenne model did you order ?
Old 07-14-2023, 02:08 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Thanks... Mine was finished 6/24 and got to the port on 6/27... sat until 7/11 so I guess it depends where you entry port is... I did a reverse search working backwards and was able to figure out one of two ships it would be on. When it missed the first, they said it would ist and not arrive till mid August, then all of sudden the dates changed when it left the port. Ordered the regular Cayenne Coupe.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:39 PM
sevasnex
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm 330 km (205 miles) from the factory where they make Cayennes. I've ordered mine in the first week after it became officially available. The estimation for delivery is end of August. Base trim.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:22 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

seems long. my dealer took an early allocation and re-configured.. Locked in May and is on the boat now..
Old 07-14-2023, 07:25 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Every dealer can do an out of state registration. Do not let them register the car in Mass. Register in Florida, pay the tax and they will get you the plates too. Much easier. I bought a car in NJ that I shipped to Florida and it was so much easier to do it that way. Other choice if you are picking it up is to NOT register it in Mass and ask for a temporary transportation plate that let's you move the car. It's an interstate temp tag. Then register in Florida... they should give you a "certificate of origin" and not a "title" document. Once it is titled you will be paying more and possibly twice. my $0.02...
The following users liked this post:
svinaik1 (07-16-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 09:14 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Originally Posted by vpopx2
Every dealer can do an out of state registration. Do not let them register the car in Mass. Register in Florida, pay the tax and they will get you the plates too. Much easier. I bought a car in NJ that I shipped to Florida and it was so much easier to do it that way. Other choice if you are picking it up is to NOT register it in Mass and ask for a temporary transportation plate that let's you move the car. It's an interstate temp tag. Then register in Florida... they should give you a "certificate of origin" and not a "title" document. Once it is titled you will be paying more and possibly twice. my $0.02...
thank you so much . I am well prepared now . Truly grateful for your help .

Quick Reply: Share your MY24 build progress