Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 09:39 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Great job @Schnave Looking forward to a proven AGM retrofit from any of the battery system aftermarket suppliers (or, preferably, a TSB from Porsche).
Old 02-17-2023, 06:30 AM
aman408
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an update from me:--

Lithium battery took less than a week to get in from dealership suggesting the supply chain issues have eased up.
Also, my alternator went bad but was covered by emissions warranty even though car itself was out of warranty. Because the alternator caused the issue of the battery dying, the battery replacement was covered too saving me thousands. (Thanks Stevens Creek Porsche!)
The following users liked this post:
LDT (02-17-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 08:39 AM
cchedges
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2019 Cayenne battery died while sitting in garage for a few weeks. Jumped the car, and it ran/drove for 90 min. The warning light on dash that indicates the car needs to stay running in order to have electrical power would not go out. I drove to dealer, and turned car off. Sure enough it was totally dead. Dealer has tried to charge battery unsuccessfully for a couple of days. The cherry on the **** sundae is the over $4000 quote to replace the battery!! Are you joking? They are now exploring the option of “helping me out” with the cost. After reading this thread I cannot help but think they have no interest in trying to repair their over-engineered batteries, Love the car, but this may be last one if they are really serious about dinging me 4K for a battery
​​​​​​!
Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cchedges
My 2019 Cayenne battery died while sitting in garage for a few weeks. Jumped the car, and it ran/drove for 90 min. The warning light on dash that indicates the car needs to stay running in order to have electrical power would not go out. I drove to dealer, and turned car off. Sure enough it was totally dead. Dealer has tried to charge battery unsuccessfully for a couple of days. The cherry on the **** sundae is the over $4000 quote to replace the battery!! Are you joking? They are now exploring the option of “helping me out” with the cost. After reading this thread I cannot help but think they have no interest in trying to repair their over-engineered batteries, Love the car, but this may be last one if they are really serious about dinging me 4K for a battery
​​​​​​!
This "Porsche tax" is getting out of hand, did you ask for a price breakdown on how a $1800 battery will cost $4000 to replace? Are they charging $2k on labor?
Old 04-09-2023, 12:46 PM
cchedges
Rennlist Member

They are replacing under warranty. There will be some labor charge for initial diagnosis, and install. Kind of crazy because I have seen the batteries online for $1800. Dealers would not ship though. That is still way too much for a battery!
Old 04-10-2023, 04:10 AM
Turrrbo
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My car battery just died this morning and the dealer quoted me over the phone of approx $2,500 to replace it.

This thread is a bit too long and too technical to read at the moment.

Can someone pls give me a brief answer if there is an alternative practical solution of replacing the battery from the dealer and pay over $2K? Thanks

Last edited by Turrrbo; 04-10-2023 at 04:12 AM.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:24 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turrrbo
My car battery just died this morning and the dealer quoted me over the phone of approx $2,500 to replace it.

This thread is a bit too long and too technical to read at the moment.

Can someone pls give me a brief answer if there is an alternative practical solution of replacing the battery from the dealer and pay over $2K? Thanks
@Woofman is the only person on this site to suggest a dealer-level retrofit might be available. Is there more information available?
Old 04-10-2023, 09:53 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
@Woofman is the only person on this site to suggest a dealer-level retrofit might be available. Is there more information available?
My dealer's tech supervisor recently told me they have been replacing Li batteries with AGM batteries in 911s and Cayennes. He said some 911 buyers have done this proactively before they pick up their new car. That's all I know. I understand this is not a problem for 2022+ Cayennes, which apparently have AGM batteries. I wonder how much it costs to replace those?
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 03:38 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSR
My dealer's tech supervisor recently told me they have been replacing Li batteries with AGM batteries in 911s and Cayennes. He said some 911 buyers have done this proactively before they pick up their new car. That's all I know. I understand this is not a problem for 2022+ Cayennes, which apparently have AGM batteries. I wonder how much it costs to replace those?
@LSR thanks this is great information. Would you be willing to ask your dealer (service advisor or other contact) for a list of parts to do the conversion? This would allow other owners to either DIY or schedule a service appointment to have the change done. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2023, 04:33 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
@LSR thanks this is great information. Would you be willing to ask your dealer (service advisor or other contact) for a list of parts to do the conversion? This would allow other owners to either DIY or schedule a service appointment to have the change done. Thanks!
Sure - I’ll ask when I pick up my Cayenne, which has been in the shop for 4 days already with no ETA on when I’ll get it back.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 02:09 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I understand this is not a problem for 2022+ Cayennes, which apparently have AGM batteries.
I don't think this is strictly true. See post 99 in this thread:

Originally Posted by abokor
FYI

I have an AGM with RWS and PDCC. Feb build, May delivery.

I was told by the dealer that AGMs were used when Lithiums were not available and has nothing to do with Porsche’s dissatisfaction with using Lithium or options on the build.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:13 PM
TheHotSorcerer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane

Originally Posted by cchedges
​​​​​​!
Yeah, literally the same thing happened to me this month. Sat in the shop for 2 weeks.. quoted me $3600 for a battery replacement but they couldn't tell me when they would get one in stock. I said the hell with it and sold both of my Porsches this weekkend. I love the cars.. but this is insane. Ridiculously insane. A battery should not cost $4k to replace. PERIOD
Old 04-17-2023, 09:57 PM
cchedges
Rennlist Member

Wow - Drastic measures selling both cars, but I considered the same step. They cannot seriously think anyone is ok getting the news that they will be out 4k for a friggin battery. When I picked my car up I mentioned that to the service advisor. I was like “who accepts that without absolutely losing it, and demanding that you reduce the price?” I did not get much of an answer….
chassis (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:12 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

There are members on this site who claim to have received information from Porsche service advisors that a retrofit from LiFePO4 (expensive) battery to AGM (less expensive) battery is possible. So far no member has posted a list of parts (harness) to make this retrofit.

Anyone who is considering replacing the LiFePO4 battery should ask their service advisor for the retrofit, if it exists as some members on this site claim.
wageslave (04-18-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:21 AM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

The battery itself is $1800, I can accept that as Li battery is not cheap. What I can't accept is that dealer is charging $2k to replace the battery.
chassis (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery