Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM
LMB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car sat virtually no time in port. It was made a few days ahead of schedule and was delivered about two weeks ahead of schedule.

All the failures do not act exactly the same. Porsche changed nothing my first failure as they said that had not solved other vehicle failures. After the second time they did not want to return the vehicle to me until after a software update (to come some 3 weeks from now, if we are lucky). I honestly thought this vehicle had been out in Europe for a year prior to selling here. That may not have been true info.

I have always thought it was a software failure that probably only hits under a few varying conditions that do not occur on every vehicle - but could at some given moment.

I am not sure where we go if the update does not come soon and if it is not full resolution.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:57 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Well so far, not too many here on the forum have had this problem or similar. I am not saying there is no issue, but lets see what transpires. I do not think its a problem to carry a charger or know exactly how to charge LiFePO4. So all good so far. We all need to understand this new technology, and its is great to have experts like Scott from Antigravity helping us. I hope your issue is fixed LMB.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:15 PM
LMB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Well so far, not too many here on the forum have had this problem or similar. I am not saying there is no issue, but lets see what transpires. I do not think its a problem to carry a charger or know exactly how to charge LiFePO4. So all good so far. We all need to understand this new technology, and its is great to have experts like Scott from Antigravity helping us. I hope your issue is fixed LMB.
Thank you very much. All so true and I do appreciate Scott's expertise. The issue is larger than we know.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:35 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Charge-O-Mat Pro

FWIW, the parts department at our dealer confirmed the Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro (p/n 958-044-900-71) does work with the Cayenne's LiFePO4 battery. It's about $200, available in lots of places, if you want to have the piece of mind of not having your dealer point the finger at your off-brand charger (and play the deny-the-warranty-claim-game) should something get damaged during a charge.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
FWIW, the parts department at our dealer confirmed the Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro (p/n 958-044-900-71) does work with the Cayenne's LiFePO4 battery. It's about $200, available in lots of places, if you want to have the piece of mind of not having your dealer point the finger at your off-brand charger (and play the deny-the-warranty-claim-game) should something get damaged during a charge.
I bought a Charge-O-Mat Pro last week, but the part number has changed to 958-044-901-71. Some people have reported it's an upgraded unit with better switches. It has a separate charging mode for Porsche lithium batteries (don't know if the older model did). Best price I could find was $175 and change.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I bought a Charge-O-Mat Pro last week, but the part number has changed to 958-044-901-71. Some people have reported it's an upgraded unit with better switches. It has a separate charging mode for Porsche lithium batteries (don't know if the older model did). Best price I could find was $175 and change.
Personally I would buy a lithium only charger to eliminate the risk of putting the charger in the wrong mode by mistake. The problem with the charge-o-mat pro is you have to press the mode switch 3-4 times to get it into lithium mode. If you make a mistake or forget you could overcharge your battery and damage it.

CTEK makes a lithium only version which you can buy at Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EUF6UM8&linkCode=as2&tag=a1electron085-20&linkId=9345a343287115a8eefea2e19e81e47d https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EUF6UM8&linkCode=as2&tag=a1electron085-20&linkId=9345a343287115a8eefea2e19e81e47d

Also if you are concerned about buying a charger without the Porsche badge on it, you should know that the Charge-o-mat pro is a CTEK charger rebadged. I have a Porsche Chargeomat (the older one) and it is also identical to one of the CTEKs. It even says CTEK on the manual!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2019, 02:18 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

That's GREAT info. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 01:29 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Although the Charge-O-Mat was a bit more expensive than the CTEK (not much, actually), I decided to splurge on it for two reasons: (1) the current version of the Charge-O-Mat has modes for both lead-acid and Li batteries (good for my 911's lead-acid and my Cayenne's Li), and I could not find a CTEK-branded model that had both charging modes in the same unit, and (2) if the charger screws up a battery (I use the charger to trickle charge by 911's battery during the off-season), I'll at least have something to say in arguing for a battery replacement). :-)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:17 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LSR
... and (2) if the charger screws up a battery (I use the charger to trickle charge by 911's battery during the off-season), I'll at least have something to say in arguing for a battery replacement). :-)
Totally agree. I would do the same thing. I've been in business long enough to know how to mitigate finger-pointing between vendors: Buy everything related from the same one, even if it costs a little more. It can save a big headache later.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I bought a Porsche Charge O Mat with the lithium battery feature. On my 911's I would just plug it into the cigarette lighter. I was surprised to read in my 2019 Cayenne manual that the 12 volt charge points disconnect after 30 minutes....something new! (how did they come up with 30 minutes, why not 15 or zero or 60?). Anyway I like this feature as it means I can plug a dash cam into the 12 volt charge point and it will not drain the battery. But I think it also means I can not just use them for a trickle charge, have to go under the hood and hook up to the battery terminals there. I checked the owners manual and I think that is what is says as well. Do I have this right?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:22 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak
So I bought a Porsche Charge O Mat with the lithium battery feature. On my 911's I would just plug it into the cigarette lighter. I was surprised to read in my 2019 Cayenne manual that the 12 volt charge points disconnect after 30 minutes....something new! (how did they come up with 30 minutes, why not 15 or zero or 60?). Anyway I like this feature as it means I can plug a dash cam into the 12 volt charge point and it will not drain the battery. But I think it also means I can not just use them for a trickle charge, have to go under the hood and hook up to the battery terminals there. I checked the owners manual and I think that is what is says as well. Do I have this right?
As mentioned above, I have the CTEK Lithium US charger (Porsche ones are made by CTEK).

Although the manual only discusses charging via the under hood charging terminals, I plug mine into the 12v socket in the center console and it works great. I’ve left it hooked up for days at a time. The only weird thing that I noticed is that one time I opened the passenger door to mount a toll tag, which took several minutes, and the charger disconnected. Other than that one time, it has always stayed connected no matter what doors I open, how long I leave them open, how many times I open and close, etc.

My suggestion would be to just use the center console port (just shut the door over the cable) and I suspect it will work fine.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

One other thing you guys may want to consider is the Antigravity battery monitor for lithium batteries.

I have been using the lead-acid version in my 911 Turbo S and it provides very interesting transparency into what is going on with the battery both when on charge, when parked and not on charge, when on alternator, and when starting.

May help improve understanding of how it behaves and should behave.

Attachment 1302220
Attachment 1302222
Attachment 1302221
Attachment 1302223
[ATTACH]1302254[/ATTACH
Old 04-07-2019, 08:29 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

These threads are starting to make me wonder if I should wait a few months until the bugs get worked out of these cars...
Old 04-07-2019, 10:09 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
These threads are starting to make me wonder if I should wait a few months until the bugs get worked out of these cars...
These bugs seem to be affecting early build cars that sat a lot on lots. Cars that are ordered spend no time in inventory, and I hope that they've figured and smoothened a few issues out by now. There's always a risk, but that's why there are laws put in place to protect customers.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCA01
As mentioned above, I have the CTEK Lithium US charger (Porsche ones are made by CTEK).

Although the manual only discusses charging via the under hood charging terminals, I plug mine into the 12v socket in the center console and it works great. I’ve left it hooked up for days at a time. The only weird thing that I noticed is that one time I opened the passenger door to mount a toll tag, which took several minutes, and the charger disconnected. Other than that one time, it has always stayed connected no matter what doors I open, how long I leave them open, how many times I open and close, etc.

My suggestion would be to just use the center console port (just shut the door over the cable) and I suspect it will work fine.
So I reached out to Porsche tech for an answer and you are correct, it works fine. Here is the quote "The new Cayenne can be charged through the 12V power outlets as long as the charger is activated, and connected within 10 minutes of the ignition key being turned off. The power point will not shut off as the Cayenne recognize the point is being used by the charger. Please select Li-ion mode by pressing the “mode” button until the Li-ion light is illuminated on the charger. With this setting, it is now ready."

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery