Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg
Back to the dealer the other day for a test drive with my tech who said I’d know best if torque and boost were lost. He did diagnostics on the boost and detected no loss of power. As a matter of fact he was able to have the beast jump 3-4 inches forward while being tested in a stationary position. He said all lips were mum when given the software package from corporate to install other than saying 1 could use up to 50% more add blue. He had no clue, zip, zilch, nada on what’s in the software update. She has more pep now than a regular Cayenne and less than before the fix.Too boot, being stuck in 3rd while she warms up is to me anyway a bunch of bs. I was advised to log a complaint with corporate.
Definitely complain to Andrew Pine at PCNA.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:15 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a good look around for a low option 2016 CD (new) msrp $65-$68k, the best I've been offered is 15% off.

I'd be interested to know where 20% and 20%+ off can be found.

JF
Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

We've seen several owner reports about their CD after the fix has been done. Without statistics, my impression is that most have said it's tolerable to OK and a minority are unhappy. I can't recall anybody saying they like their CD better after the fix. Given what I've seen, I'm going to wait until the last month or two in 2019 or when my warranty runs out, if sooner, to get the fix (December 2019 is the last month to have the fix applied, correct?).

I'd like to enjoy my CD in it's intended form as long as possible. Given what you've seen here and heard from other sources, do you think most owners are going to wait like I am?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

My 2016 CD, and my wife's 2015 Touareg TDI feel the exact same after the fix. Waiting for the money was not worth it to us. What happens if the truck is totaled?, then one gets nothing, which here in the winter, is all too possible.

I do like my CD after the fix as I got $4,305 in extra, free money, along with more warranty.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
My 2016 CD, and my wife's 2015 Touareg TDI feel the exact same after the fix. Waiting for the money was not worth it to us. What happens if the truck is totaled?, then one gets nothing, which here in the winter, is all too possible.

I do like my CD after the fix as I got $4,305 in extra, free money, along with more warranty.
My thoughts exactly -- wasn't the first in line for the fix; waited to see other's experiences -- most are OK. Cash is always nice, but I have no cash flow issue, and would wait longer until I was ready to sell it (plan to buy the new version in about a year), but there is the risk that, in the mean time, it could be stolen, totaled, etc., and I would forego the last payment. Parts are on order now, and should have the work done in a couple of weeks.

BTW, is a complete detail included with this service, or is it a standard quicky wash and dry?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am with Mtea. It looks like the most satisfied owners are those who own the 3015-16 CDs. The 13-14 that need to undergo hardware repairs are those with problems.

So what if it is totaled before Nov 2019. Would I forfeit the way my CD feels for the slight chance my CD is totaled and I won't receive the other half of the $? No
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
My thoughts exactly -- wasn't the first in line for the fix; waited to see other's experiences -- most are OK. Cash is always nice, but I have no cash flow issue, and would wait longer until I was ready to sell it (plan to buy the new version in about a year), but there is the risk that, in the mean time, it could be stolen, totaled, etc., and I would forego the last payment. Parts are on order now, and should have the work done in a couple of weeks.

BTW, is a complete detail included with this service, or is it a standard quicky wash and dry?
It is a complete detail. I've never had a vehicle detailed before. I've always been the one doing the detailing, but it was done quite well as I'm sure that the dealership expects nothing less than the very best. The barrels of the wheels were even cleaned. The rubber floormats were cleaned, they even emptied out all the door pockets, glove and center console, cleaned and replaced all the stuff I had inside.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Retiredone
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the fix done on my 2013 CD in December. The dealer did not do a detail, nor was it offered. I've seen the Porsche fix sheet sent to dealers which shows the parts needed for the fix and it specifies the fill up but no mention of a detail. After the fix, I noticed that car held third a little longer, but did not think there was any reduction in power. I sold it shortly after the fix, not due to anything related to the fix, but I was planning on trading it just before the stop sale. Took delivery of the CD in October 2012 and never had an issue. Great vehicle and would have kept it but I needed the garage space.

Last edited by Retiredone; 01-07-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Retiredone
I had the fix done on my 2013 CD in December. The dealer did not do a detail, nor was it offered. I've seen the Porsche fix sheet sent to dealers which shows the parts needed for the fix and it specifies the fill up but no mention of a detail. After the fix, I noticed that car held third a little longer, but did not think there was any reduction in power. I sold it shortly after the fix, not due to anything related to the fix, but I was planning on trading it just before the stop sale. Took delivery of the CD in October 2012 and never had an issue. Great vehicle and would have kept it but I needed the garage space.
Page 9 of the booklet says "will return your Cayenne Diesel to your home or office with a complimentary cleaning and a full tank of fuel." It does not says detailing but it also does not says "up to $50" of fuel. You should have expected at least the normal cleaning that Porsche dealerships provide when a Porsche is being serviced. I believe the booklet is misleading as to the full fuel tank because I have read owners say they saw the dealer service sheet saying "up to $50."
Old 01-07-2018, 03:11 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
I am with Mtea. It looks like the most satisfied owners are those who own the 3015-16 CDs. The 13-14 that need to undergo hardware repairs are those with problems.

So what if it is totaled before Nov 2019. Would I forfeit the way my CD feels for the slight chance my CD is totaled and I won't receive the other half of the $? No
Good points. Since mine is a 2013, I have more homework to do -- re-read the thread, and review the timeframes to do the fix, to make a more informed decision.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:27 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
1st? No... mine seem to want out of 1st as quickly as possible.
First gear is only for the first 10-feet or so, unless you are in sport. This is to get the truck moving, then to the highest gear possible for fuel economy. Many cars start in second gear unless in sport move, this is all for fuel rating.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
We've seen several owner reports about their CD after the fix has been done. Without statistics, my impression is that most have said it's tolerable to OK and a minority are unhappy. I can't recall anybody saying they like their CD better after the fix. Given what I've seen, I'm going to wait until the last month or two in 2019 or when my warranty runs out, if sooner, to get the fix (December 2019 is the last month to have the fix applied, correct?).

I'd like to enjoy my CD in it's intended form as long as possible. Given what you've seen here and heard from other sources, do you think most owners are going to wait like I am?
The funny thing about statistics is that you can typically make them agree with whatever your point of view is (I think they called that the echo chamber during the election). I would say that of all the anecdotal reports about the fix, most are happy with it. Not just "tolerable" or "OK". Most seem to say it's about the same, with the few quirks that were published (holding gears longer to warm up, lack of "enhanced engine braking", etc).

My suspicion - and, I fully admit it's nothing more than a gut feeling - is that those who think their car has somehow been neutered, absent concrete evidence like billyg has documented, think it's happened and so, to them, it has.

Originally Posted by visitador
I am with Mtea. It looks like the most satisfied owners are those who own the 2015-16 CDs. The 13-14 that need to undergo hardware repairs are those with problems.

We have a '14 and it's the same as our '15. Makes me wonder how much the skill and experience of the tech has to do with replacing the hardware components. I agree that most of the complaints about things post-fix seem to be from the '13-'14 owners, though. Still, I think the "it's about the same" outnumber the "it's hosed" reports.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea

I'm with you on postponing the fix as long as practical. I will do it, eventually, likely in the late summer of 2019, as my 6 year warranty runs out 11/19. I totally agree in waiting and enjoying the car as it was originally built. That simply overwhelms the motivation to collect that last half of my payment. Now, would I change my mind. Maybe. I may decide I'd like the money, or to use the proceeds for snow tires on my 911, or unlikely, we'll trade it for some unforeseen reason.
On another note- my friend who lives about an hour away has a 14 CD that is in the shop for the fix. They broke some bolts dismantling the exhaust system, which need to be shipped from Germany. His car is laid up for at least a week, and he's happily driving a Porsche loaner. I will drive his CD after the fix and see if it's any different from mine. Maybe we'll do some type of comparison when he gets it back.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:11 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
On another note- my friend who lives about an hour away has a 14 CD that is in the shop for the fix. They broke some bolts dismantling the exhaust system, which need to be shipped from Germany. His car is laid up for at least a week, and he's happily driving a Porsche loaner. I will drive his CD after the fix and see if it's any different from mine. Maybe we'll do some type of comparison when he gets it back.
Excellent idea! Keep us posted. I believe I had said this more than once, we are the sacrificial lambs because we are the smallest minority. After all the billions that VW had to pay for buybacks, all the parties concerned (yes, including our lawyers and the judge) figure that we can just be "almost made the same" and won't complain much after being refunded around 13% of what we originally paid for the CD. Our voices are tiny compared with the tons of 2.0 owners. I guess that $9k+ is so that we get back an "almost the same" CD. No one gives out $ out of the goodness of their hearts.

There are just two weapons in our arsenal: The lemon laws continue even with the fix and there is the 85% participation rate twisting VW''s arm. As for myself, this episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth. No matter how good a future VW group product is, I'll think of how they cheated with the CD. Easy to forgive, hard to forget
Old 01-07-2018, 05:51 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Just reviewed all the posts since the fixes began -- took quite a while with all the posts pertaining to purchasing new Cayennes interspersed (it's a stretch to call those posts emission issues), but nevertheless, I conclude that the fix is OK, and probability is high that it will work fine on most 2013's. No doubt, there are problems with some, but they appear to be isolated, but irritating cases -- particularly when it happens to you. At the moment, I intend to have the work done, mainly because my dealer already ordered the parts for my CD; otherwise, I'd wait a year or so. And, if I don't receive a call from the dealer that the parts are in, I will wait. I'll continue monitoring this thread for new information, and may change my mind. Where I live in Southern CA, temps rarely drop below mid 50's, and very low temps tend to be problematic -- don't have that here.

Like many Rennlisters, I do most maintenance on my Porsche's myself, as I am concerned that bad things can happen in the Service Department -- and that may be what's happening to some who are unhappy with the fix. Just a few weeks ago I took my CD to the local dealer to fix (replace) the adblu heater (under warranty) -- did a fine job on that, but ignored the Brake Flush on the work order. Had the Cashier get my service advisor, and he apologized for the oversight -- so we are not working with genius's here.

BTW, I live in Newport Coast next to Newport Beach. Don't want to identify the Dealer by name but it was a very short drive for me.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue