Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
...and meanwhile in Northern Virginia, still waiting on the first recall letter.....
Yeah, I never received any notification either. Just went ahead and scheduled the appointment after the dealer confirmed the VIN was included in the recall.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Yeah, I never received any notification either. Just went ahead and scheduled the appointment after the dealer confirmed the VIN was included in the recall.
I think I’m gonna go that route as well. A call to Porsche in Atlanta confirmed mine was included in the recall.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Dealer notified me Friday that the recall for AH08 is complete. The camshaft controllers were not replaced, just the pan-head bolts. I am okay with this. The engine is running great. I will pick it up next week after they take care of a few other items. In the meantime, I thought I would prepare a comparison of the parts between the two campaigns.

If anyone has their controllers replaced under AH08, please upload your parts list. I can then update the comparison.

I did not see where Porsche rolled part numbers from WC-22. The pan-head part number shows up on a dealer's parts portal but it provides no history.

Porsche has rolled the camshaft controller three times. 948-105-051-23 is the latest. Prior versions are 948-105-051-21, 948-105-051-22
Yes - mine got the "23" controllers when I had it done about 2 years ago. Perhaps if someone is ordering parts - they could order one of the 999 panheads - so we could see what it is and if it's the assembly bolt for the controllers - what's different about it.. it's only $1.25 at one of the on-line dealers. I'd even spring for the $1.25..
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I think I’m gonna go that route as well. A call to Porsche in Atlanta confirmed mine was included in the recall.
Me too. I made sure that I was registered with Porsche but didnt receive anything unfortunately. Made my monthly call to my local dealer in Sacramento and they are starting to get the parts kits in now. They had one Cayenne getting it done when I called and they put me on their list to get the call to get it done ASAP. Turns out I am second on the list, but the service assistant did mention that this doesnt necessarily mean much - its all down to parts availability at the moment. So fingers crossed I am hoping it will get done in the next couple of weeks.

It doesnt look great that Porsche are still struggling to get parts, but it does seem that it starting to happen.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Blrmkr
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

...and meanwhile in Northern Virginia, still waiting on the first recall letter.....
If you are not the first owner it could be that PCNA does not have you on file as the owner. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:52 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blrmkr
If you are not the first owner it could be that PCNA does not have you on file as the owner. Ask me how I know.
Oh, now thats interesting! What happened? I took the time to register the car with PCNA and had to provide proof that I owned the thing (like purchase documentation). Still didnt hear anything from them!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Contacted my dealer last evening. I should be bringing it in for the AH08 recall next week pending availability of a loaner. SA says they've done a couple at the dealer already. SA also mentioned they have it listed as a 5 hour job according to their internal AH08 documentation. They'll also once again look into the intermittent extreme cold weather coolant drip issue while it's there for the AH08 recall. More to come...
Old 02-01-2018, 01:13 AM
981.GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought in my CTT to the dealer today to have some warranty items taken care of (I have 1 month of CPO warranty left) and to have the AH08 recall done. I asked my service advisor if it was just replacing the bolts with a newer version and she said the techs will check to see if the existing bolts are loose. If loose, they will replace the camshaft and bolts. If they aren't loose, they will just replace the bolts. I'll post a copy of the parts used as soon as I get my car back from the dealer.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Alvin Chan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my Cayenne from the shop yesterday, only the bolts were replaced - Scope 1 like everyone else so far.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

So it's interesting now that the recall work is happening, to hear that these infamous bad bolts ARE able to be extracted from the controllers. The early theory before AH08 even came about was that the bolts could probably not be removed, and may have been loctited in or something similar from the factory. It would be interesting just to see the process they use to pull the old bolts out.

In any case, just glad to see this progressing and making this issue a thing of the past. Mine should be going in Monday if they secure a loaner for me. I'll update my experience as well when it's done.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Congrats Projekt-h ,... it's been a long road. I'm throwing you positive vibes that it will hold together...
=Steve
Thank you Steve, I truly appreciate that.

Maybe those positive vibes helped out. I've clocked about 900 miles in the week I've had it back with no problems. Occasional longer-than usual cranking before starting, and the alignment still needs to be redone.

I finally filled out the survey I was sent after the first visit, and the service manager emailed me the next day apologizing for how it was handled. I had also separately shared my writings further expanding on what had happened to Porsche customer care, but somewhat surprisingly have heard nothing from them.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

The previous owner of mine took it in a few months ago for a cam timing related check engine light. For some reason they had the parts for the recall in the fall, everyone else I have noticed is just getting it done now. Anyways after the repair one of the cams broke and engine locked up while idling in their shop. After that it was an engine out repair to replace the entire top end. I hope it was a one off and this doesn't happen to others (although now my 85,000 mile truck has brand new heads, valves, cams, lifters and all cam drive components).
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
The previous owner of mine took it in a few months ago for a cam timing related check engine light. For some reason they had the parts for the recall in the fall, everyone else I have noticed is just getting it done now. Anyways after the repair one of the cams broke and engine locked up while idling in their shop. After that it was an engine out repair to replace the entire top end. I hope it was a one off and this doesn't happen to others (although now my 85,000 mile truck has brand new heads, valves, cams, lifters and all cam drive components).
Do you know if the initial problem with the cam timing CEL was specifically related to the aluminum cam adjuster bolts, or did they just go ahead and replace them too while it was in there getting whatever work was necessary for the CEL initiated problem? Is it also possible someone doing the work in the shop screwed up thereby causing the ultimate failure? In any case, if it was a P dealer, I’d guess it should have been on their dime.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you know if the initial problem with the cam timing CEL was specifically related to the aluminum cam adjuster bolts, or did they just go ahead and replace them too while it was in there getting whatever work was necessary for the CEL initiated problem? Is it also possible someone doing the work in the shop screwed up thereby causing the ultimate failure? In any case, if it was a P dealer, I’d guess it should have been on their dime.
The invoice said that there was no signal from the cam actuator, so they replaced and did the recall. Also mentioned there was some sludge in the head that may have been a contributing factor. After that repair it broke while idling in the shop. Whole thing was on Porsche's dime, not sure if was mechanic's error or something else.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:20 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
The invoice said that there was no signal from the cam actuator, so they replaced and did the recall. Also mentioned there was some sludge in the head that may have been a contributing factor. After that repair it broke while idling in the shop. Whole thing was on Porsche's dime, not sure if was mechanic's error or something else.
I'd guess they should have said there was no response from the cam actuator to a signal. The cam actuator is an electro-magnetic valve that controls the oil pressure/flow going to the VarioCam adjusters. One on each bank. Apparently they have a filter on them that gets plugged up if oil changes are neglected. Sludge is usually an indication of delayed oil changes. When they don't respond - you'll see a valve timing error on that bank. It's possible they replaced the VarioCam adjusters fearing that they'd gotten sludge in them too - and that didn't go well (BTDT - not sludge related - but was without my P!G for a month..)

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts