Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by solrac6262
This is crazy, Why because we think Porsche are cheaters??

I took my CD yesterday morning for oil change and also for a trade appraisal, I was looking for another 991, same sales guy, same dealer I bought seven cars, guess what? End of the month, havent received a call, email or quote on the trade..

I guess they are not so interested in my CD
Why on earth would your dealer be interested in buying a car that they have no time frame for being able to resell, and no idea what it will be worth?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Back to regularly scheduled programming......new news.

Not really.

I love how the spin on this article would lead one to believe this time frame is all up to VW...when it has clearly been court ordered. Press spin at it's finest!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN1160EK
Old 08-31-2016, 11:31 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Why on earth would your dealer be interested in buying a car that they have no time frame for being able to resell, and no idea what it will be worth?
Correct, that's the point, they should take back this so valuable CD piece of S*** So people stop saying its such an easy fix
Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Correct, that's the point, they should take back this so valuable CD piece of S*** So people stop saying its such an easy fix
Got it. Wasn't sure if you were surprised at this outcome.

Be that as it may, that situation doesn't dicate whether the fix will be easy or not. It really could be as simple as a reflash that uses more DEF. That would be an ideal solution...DEF is pretty cheap and one would assume Porsche would cover fill ups.

Then again, there might not be any way to affect the fix without drastically impacting fuel economy or performance. The truth is, no one knows. But until we know, your scenario is going to be the norm.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Back to regularly scheduled programming......new news.

Not really.

I love how the spin on this article would lead one to believe this time frame is all up to VW...when it has clearly been court ordered. Press spin at it's finest!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN1160EK
My interpretation is they expect the Govt to approve a "fix". But they should also be working Plan B per the judge.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, not in this forum. People would feel bad more for VW than you. They would refuse to acknowledge the fact that even the dealer that you have worked so extensively in the past will not help you out when the time comes to sell. We are similar age and in the similar boat though. Will trade this car the moment warranty expires, maybe earlier.

And I feel your pain and understand your frustration. Because I am not ethically challenged
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
Oh goodie��
No worries; as long as you are happy I am happy my dear
You know, I don't mind being called out for being wrong. Or even for having a different opinion than someone (this is the internet, after all).

But if you are going to call someone out for being wrong, you better be right! And if you are wrong about calling someone out and get called on it yourself, don't get butt hurt about it.

Oh, and I'm your "dear" about as much as you are decaf's pal.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:55 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am tired of listening to the Audi chief repeat the same "salvation is near" every few months. He said the same optimistic view before. The "fix"
Has been floated since early this year. It is basically hope against hope that the regulators will cave in. VW/Audi/Porche is just trying to save a few billion $ now.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiahh
You know, I don't mind being called out for being wrong. Or even for having a different opinion than someone (this is the internet, after all).

But if you are going to call someone out for being wrong, you better be right! And if you are wrong about calling someone out and get called on it yourself, don't get butt hurt about it.

Oh, and I'm your "dear" about as much as you are decaf's pal.
That is OK dear. There is obiviously someone that is "butt hurt" for sure, however it is not me.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
I am tired of listening to the Audi chief repeat the same "salvation is near" every few months. He said the same optimistic view before. The "fix"
Has been floated since early this year. It is basically hope against hope that the regulators will cave in. VW/Audi/Porche is just trying to save a few billion $ now.
Agree. Voice of reason in the forum.

Tough to make yourself heard here though, no?

I have had easier time talking with climate change deniers than some in this forum. At least they do not use uncivil/manerless /vulgar ad hominem attacks with their every reply. Recent examples would include "butt hurt", "attention *****", "pitiful lives", "ambulance chaser"....while saying they are trying to be polite. Can't imagine when they are impolite! (:-D
Old 08-31-2016, 03:00 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

... and returning to our regularly scheduled program ...

This news item is appearing in several different sources. Here is one of them from Autoweek.com today:

"Buyback is cheaper for VW as it struggles to find fix, report says

Almost half of all owners affected by the 2.0-liter VW TDI settlement program announced at the end of June have registered, and most are opting to sell their cars back to Volkswagen, Bloomberg reports. Some 210,000 owners have already contacted the automaker and indicated they want VW to buy their cars back rather than wait for the automaker to approve and implement a fix.

"Under the proposed settlement, eligible customers will have two choices: (1) They can sell back their vehicle to Volkswagen or terminate their lease without an early termination penalty, or, (2) keep their vehicle and receive a free emissions modification, if approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB)," Volkswagen stated in announcing the program. "Customers who select any of these options under the settlement will also receive a cash payment from Volkswagen."

Under the terms of the settlement reached with U.S. authorities, VW is expected to buy back 85 percent of the affected 2.0-liter TDI cars still in use and to provide owners cash compensation in addition to the value of the car before the EPA's announcement of the existence of emissions-cheating software at the end of September 2015. ..."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...#ixzz4IvoOLpuV

==============================================

The above article while it is conceptually correct, it is not factually accurate in its reporting of the remedies to 2.0L owners or the 85% target (whatever happened to editors ). In the 2.0L settlement transcript it was interesting to read that VAG has to reach an 85% participation rate else they face additional penalties and fines from US Gov DOJ. I'd expect an equivalent target for 3.0L diesels as well.

Here is the actual statement from the court records on the 85% target ... see Transcript of the July 26, 2016 Hearing on Preliminary Approval pages 67-68; clearly it was a negotiated effort by both sides to find the magical value of compensation that will attract 85% participation and a cost to VAG that did not make them indifferent to additional fines and penalties from the DOJ.

"... Now, Mr. Berman made the point about asking class members
about the terms of the settlement. I can assure the Court
Volkswagen obviously did the same. And we needed a premium
that was high enough that would encourage car owners to bring
cars in, get them fixed or have a buyback, because we have an
obligation under our consent decree with the Department of
Justice to have an 85-percent participation rate or we pay
very, very high fines for not getting those cars off the road. ..."

Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nope, not in this forum. People would feel bad more for VW than you. They would refuse to acknowledge the fact that even the dealer that you have worked so extensively in the past will not help you out when the time comes to sell. We are similar age and in the similar boat though. Will trade this car the moment warranty expires, maybe earlier.

And I feel your pain and understand your frustration. Because I am not ethically challenged
OK, I'm actually going to be polite with this one. No snarky responses, just a legitimate question.

I really want to understand why you think that in this forum, people are thinking that way? I've been reading this thread since it started, and been posting in it for many months and I can tell you that you're dead wrong. There are maybe one or two members who think that it's being blown out of proportion by the EPA and CARB (since they are legimitatly butt hurt) however reading through the responses, we're all pissed at this, and we're all very impatiently waiting for responses and a cure from Porsche.

Why would you think otherwise? Why do you seem to assume that people on here are in the mood to simply forgive and forget? Because they sure aren't.

Agree. Tough to make yourself heard here though, no?
Actually no. Do you realize that by continuing to insult the majority of the members is not the way to "make yourself heard"?

Seriously, why are you attacking everyone here? We're all in the same boat, and we are all pissed at Porsche / VW / VAG....not just you.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Agree. Voice of reason in the forum.

Tough to make yourself heard here though, no?

I have had easier time talking with climate change deniers than some in this forum. At least they do not use uncivil/manerless /vulgar ad hominem attacks with their every reply. Recent examples would include "butt hurt", "attention *****", "pitiful lives", "ambulance chaser"....while saying they are trying to be polite. Can't imagine when they are impolite! (:-D
Dude (doc?)- You need to bring it down a few notches. Most of us are here to commiserate with our fellow owners, find out what they are thinking and for any news. Also, perhaps to discuss the issues technically. I would not challenge what my fellow posters are thinking, nor do I have the time to analyze every word. I think you'll find this a great group with some civility in your posts. Now can we start over? Welcome to the forum- we all want a resolution.
For the record- I don't want to drive a "fixed" CD. I'd take the buyback deal if offered. And I love my CD as it currently is configured.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

OK, I'm actually going to be polite with this one. No snarky responses, just a legitimate question.

I really want to understand why you think that in this forum, people are thinking that way? I've been reading this thread since it started, and been posting in it for many months and I can tell you that you're dead wrong. There are maybe one or two members who think that it's being blown out of proportion by the EPA and CARB (since they are legimitatly butt hurt) however reading through the responses, we're all pissed at this, and we're all very impatiently waiting for responses and a cure from Porsche.

Why would you think otherwise? Why do you seem to assume that people on here are in the mood to simply forgive and forget? Because they sure aren't.

Actually no. Do you realize that by continuing to insult the majority of the members is not the way to "make yourself heard"?

Seriously, why are you attacking everyone here? We're all in the same boat, and we are all pissed at Porsche / VW / VAG....not just you.
Just a legitimite question to you then, who is the one that gets insulted?

Not a majority, just a minority of people here have been calling names, using language and personal attacks. For pages. If you fail to recognize that, I have no words for you.

Who are you calling butt hurt? (Not you I know), Ambulance chaser?, Attention *****? Laughable?

I will not tolerate any personal attacks, in any open or concealed form. Sure I will call people out for making such comments, they should expect to hear back from me. What makes you think I will let people get away with such uncivilty/vulgarness?

I understand CD is very dear to some people here. And they want to keep their cars and such. That is perfectly fine with me. However for the people who does not, you have to respect their decision and if they are asking for a buyback, that is not asking somethng unfair.

It is just a car in the end.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I understand CD is very dear to some people here. And they want to keep their cars and such. That is perfectly fine with me. However for the people who does not, you have to respect their decision and if they are asking for a buyback, that is not asking somethng unfair. .
No, it's not, but I don't see that anyone is disrespecting that position. Even the guy who you initially got into an argument with two months ago.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue