Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 01:22 PM
NN.
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

At the moment with Joyauto unit I use aftermarket camera as it has better resolution than the stock one. The parking lines and parking sensors image are very similar to the original Porsche images. And I am very happy with it.

On Macan forum in Mr12Volts discussion I noticed the photo of our member cicsprog showing his aftermarket rear camera view connected to Mr12Volts unit where the parking lines and parking sensors image are totally different from the original ones.

Roman, do you know whether the style of parking lines and sensors image for aftermarket camera can be adjusted say in setting menu or, if not, whether Mr12Volt can change it in an update to be similar to the ones we have in Porsche originally?
Old 03-06-2023, 04:02 PM
LA4665
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here with experience on aftermarket camera for PCM 3.0 and 997?
I have installed Mr12volt and am quite happy with it so far.
Cheers
Andreas
Old 03-07-2023, 11:08 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

I just received my Mr 12v and will be doing the install this weekend. I wanted to see if you guys see value in me doing a Cayenne specific DIY write up. It may help with people on the fence about doing the install themselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by twodollardoug:
apenberrys (03-08-2023), Monetizer (03-12-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 11:10 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I just received my Mr 12v and will be doing the install this weekend. I wanted to see if you guys see value in me doing a Cayenne specific DIY write up. It may help with people on the fence about doing the install themselves.

I'll be reopening the cayenne specific thread in the technical section tomorrow. I'd love to have your input there

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
The following users liked this post:
Monetizer (03-12-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 11:14 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I'll be reopening the cayenne specific thread in the technical section tomorrow. I'd love to have your input there
Sure, after sitting thru the install video on the Mr12v website I think I could do better. The sped up video and the music kinda sucked.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:58 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Would definitely be interested in this as I'm one of those 'on the fence'. Thanks in advance and good luck with the install.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShdwFx:
apenberrys (03-09-2023), Monetizer (03-12-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I have to give a BIG shout out to Roman. I'm glad I bought my unit from him. He has answered every question I had super quick and been very helpful.

Of course my pcm has an oddball xm card that I haven't seen in the numerous install videos I've watched. But Roman was right there, and together we came to with a solution with the parts that came in the kit.

Roman, if you go to the PCA Porsche parade this year I will buy lunch.

Last edited by twodollardoug; 03-09-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Monetizer (03-12-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:24 PM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NN.
At the moment with Joyauto unit I use aftermarket camera as it has better resolution than the stock one. The parking lines and parking sensors image are very similar to the original Porsche images. And I am very happy with it.

On Macan forum in Mr12Volts discussion I noticed the photo of our member cicsprog showing his aftermarket rear camera view connected to Mr12Volts unit where the parking lines and parking sensors image are totally different from the original ones.

Roman, do you know whether the style of parking lines and sensors image for aftermarket camera can be adjusted say in setting menu or, if not, whether Mr12Volt can change it in an update to be similar to the ones we have in Porsche originally?
Does the 12volt version have aftermarket or 360 camera option?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:58 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shadows89
Does the 12volt version have aftermarket or 360 camera option?
I thought I saw it in the menu. I can confirm tomorrow.
Shadows89 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 04:18 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

This may help someone:

My car is a 2012 Cayenne turbo PCM 3.1. When I opened my PCM to add the Mr12volt board I saw my XM board was different than the all the others I had seen in the installation videos I had watched. Mine has what looks like a heat sink on top.

In the parts bag there are three tall standoffs and one medium size and Roman supplied three shorties. I used a total of four. The three tall ones and I made a fourth tall standoff with the one medium and two of the shorties that Roman supplied.

So now that I have four standoffs of equal length I screwed them into the chassis.

then I bolted the Mr12volt board to the standoffs and had good clearance from the XM board.

I also used two tie wraps to hold the connector to the board and two bigger tie wraps around the harness on the inside and outside of the chassis for strain relief. That cable/connector is not moving now.

I also didn't like where the install video has you mount the module. Under the steering column. I tried it at first but when I lowered the steering column I could hear it start to crunch on the box. Plus with the wires coming out of the back of the box I didn't think it was a good to have the wires and fiber optic cable so close to the moving parts. I removed the black plastic piece right above the feet pedals. It's just one screw in the middle and pulled it out of the white tabs that hold it in place. So above the accelerator pedal and to the right (towards the center of the car) there is a big black box, I'm assuming it's the cabin air mixing box, there is a gap between the hump and that box. I was able to wedge the module between the hump and the box. Like so,

Now the module is secure and out of site with the black plastic reinstalled. And I still have easy access to the module for firmware updates.

Last edited by twodollardoug; 03-10-2023 at 04:21 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by twodollardoug:
greasem0nkey86 (12-10-2023), gregeast (03-10-2023), GTCharlie (03-10-2023), lowmiler (03-10-2023), Monetizer (03-12-2023), Needsdecaf (03-14-2023), Nugget (03-13-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2023, 10:45 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I found a cool bootlogo for a 958 turbo if you guys want to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by twodollardoug:
Nugget (03-13-2023), zuffen99 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 01:14 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

I need to do this next. Is there an aftermarket rear camera folks prefer? The stock camera's resolution is terrible.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:19 PM
lowmiler
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
I need to do this next. Is there an aftermarket rear camera folks prefer? The stock camera's resolution is terrible.
If you found a newer camera with better resolution that was plug and play, the picture on the PCM is only going to be as good as the max resolution of the PCM screen. I cannot find the PCM screen resolution specs anywhere. If we knew what is was, we could source a native resolution camera upgrade possibly.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:26 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lowmiler
If you found a newer camera with better resolution that was plug and play, the picture on the PCM is only going to be as good as the max resolution of the PCM screen. I cannot find the PCM screen resolution specs anywhere. If we knew what is was, we could source a native resolution camera upgrade possibly.
Great point, I was assuming the screen had a higher resolution but should confirm.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:35 PM
lowmiler
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Great point, I was assuming the screen had a higher resolution but should confirm.
I have also wondered if the cable between the camera and the PCM can handle higher resolutions.

I know there are some on here that have replaced the factory PCM with a newer aftermarket head unit which I would assume has higher screen resolution than the factory one. It would be interesting to hear and see what the picture is like on it when the reverse camera is activated.

Quick Reply: Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration