Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:50 PM
BillN
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kari
Continuing from the my previous post above and another post I made in the HDD to SSD clone thread, this information is for those of you trying to resolve the problem of a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting PCM3.1 due to a faulty HDD (A common scenario for the blue emergency screen is running the update disk when the PCM3.1 HDD has known or unknown faults (bad sectors/partition corruption..) or an inability to run the update disk once you get into the blue screen for some other reason that is subsequently fixed..)

NOTE: you could get a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting system for other reasons as well (faulty board or internal PCM system memory, loose connectors etc..) and this post does cover those aspects - only a faulty HDD which seems to be a more frequent occurrence..

What you will need:
1. The PCM3.1 update disk WKD95280017/16/15
- It does not matter what your current 4.xx sub-version is, the one ending with 17 takes you to 4.76/ one ending in 16 takes you to 4.75 and others to earlier versions
2. A replacement SATA HDD or SSD (minimum 100GB HDD or 120GB SSD 2.5 inch 'laptop size') [Note: Early PCM3.x systems I think use PATA disks of a different capacity - while process is similar the actual partition details are likely different and this post does not cover those systems..]
- The recommended drives are industrial/automotive SSDs/HDDs especially if you are in regions with extremes of climate (These disks have SMART capability with better min/max operating temps - Say, a HDD/SSD does not support extreme cold, it may not operate effectively till the vehicle warms up or shut down suddenly if it gets too cold ...industrial/automotive drives support a wider range of operating temperatures. However, those are expensive or difficult to find - check the specs of the disks you buy.
- I went with a regular Kingston A400 120GB for now and others have used PNY.. I think any SATA HDD/SDD of any size more than 100GB will likely work. But note that based on what I know so far adding more SSD space does not equate to more jukebox space.. more space will only provide some more redundancy for the SSD (extends SSD usability in the really long term.... hence the recommendation to go for a min of 120GB SSD - 240 or more would be overkill in my view)
3) Clonezilla or another disk cloning and partitioning tool
- I used Clonezilla (Thanks to Jslo's post on the SSD thread) I chose it because it is free and does not have to be installed on a computer - one can just make a Clonezilla bootable USB or CD/DVD and use it.. others may prefer another disk cloning tool but some of the steps here are not about cloning but about partitioning a new disk..
- the other benefit is that Clonezilla has fdisk built in and that can be used for partitioning (option 3)...so secure a tool you are comfortable with that allows you to build partitions in case cloning fails

What are the options in my view:
1) If you do not have a replacement HDD/SSD handy, Post #21 in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16510863) works and will get you out of the blue screen but the HDD remains faulty. Depending on where the HDD fault lies, your system may still continue to reboot/behave sluggishly or crash during specific operations but you may be lucky like me and regain the functionality you need atleast for the immediate future (If you do not continue to face the rebooting issue, you will most likely have a working Radio and CD player. Other audio options may work too but there could be problems with one or more of : navigating the PCM screens, Navigation/maps, cameras/park assist and Jukebox.)

2) Clone your HDD to SSD or another HDD - See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/1166469-upgraded-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-to-ssd.html and there is a complete discussion on this topic. Explore all options like shipping the faulty HDD to an expert to make a good clone or try other cloning software. If you want to restore your existing maps/navigation data or jukebox media, an error free clone of the disk or at least the 2 large partitions on the disk is essential
Some tips:
a. Use sector-to-sector i.e dd method to create your new disk. This is a good way to get back to fully working navigation and also get back any media on your jukebox. You can use Clonezilla or another cloning tool but you need to do a disk-disk clone with the sector-to-sector option...
b. if your HDD has more significant damage and a disk-disk clone fails, try to make local images of the individual partitions on the disk using partition-to-image, especially the 2 large partitions which I think are for your maps and jukebox media. They can be potentially used later ..see next option (option 3)
c. Any error during the image or restore process on the 2 large partitions would mean that those partitions have issues (or the cloning process failed) and you may not be able to get back navigation or the audio files you have in the jukebox depending on the partition with the error. The smaller partitions are restored by the PCM3.1update disk, so i wouldn't worry about those too much in this situation. Any navigation/chrono and other licenses are the same as before - you won't lose them but you lose the data (so if you had navigation and during cloning, the maps partition cannot be restored properly, there will be no map files for the system to use; if the jukebox partition has errors you may not be able to get the songs or other audio files you had previously loaded into the jukebox..) In this case, till you find a way to recover those partitions, a good option to get a working system is the same as described in Option 3 below.

3) If your current HDD is completely dead or has extensive damage and any attempt at cloning the entire disk without errors fails, then the next set of steps will get you back to a fully functional system with an empty jukebox (if you had one) but there will be no Maps/Navi. This option is better than requesting copies of someone else's disk drive (from the posts I've seen so far this does not bring back maps anyway - I have no idea if maps are locked to a vin or not but even if they are not, the version of the maps on the disk has to be compatible with the license key coded in the PCM..otherwise the maps wont work anyway...) - so this will get you going if you do not plan to restore the Navi or atleast for the short term till as you explore other options to recover your map data or jukebox files..
- NOTE: There will be a 'loading navi' message instead when you try to view maps but everything else you had earlier should work - Based on my current understanding, if you wants the maps working, a trip to to the dealer to reload the map files (mainly labor to run a set of DVDs they have for the specific version of the maps one is licensed for) should be sufficient or you can buy a new key and have the latest maps installed. (the dealer may actually recommend this unless you already had the latest map updates before HDD failure)
Steps to setup using Clonezilla
- Review the list of fdisk options on the net: you can use this link or any other one to understand fdisk commands: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/f...tions-in-linux
- Connect your new SSD or HDD to your PC/laptop and boot with Clonezilla (USB or CD/DVD)
- Choose the option to get to the command prompt and type sudo fdisk /dev/sd<drive letter> . The drive letter identifies the specific disk. WARNING: Be sure to connect to the correct SSD/HDD - you can easily corrupt your laptop/desktop if you were to accidentally connect to that drive instead - so make sure of the drive letter.
- delete all partitions on your replacement HDD/ SSD (you will lose all data - so be doubly sure that you are using fdisk on the right disk) and then
- use the 'o' option in fdisk to create a new blank partition table for 'dos'
- Then create new partitions 1-6 on the SSD using the 'n' option and each time enter the start and end sector numbers below. also set the partition ID as you create the partition using the 't' option (4d, 4e, 4f...). You will likely have issues entering some start numbers (ex: when i tried to create the first partition with sector 63 it did not allow that and forced a default of 2048 - continue with default of 2048 in such a case but ensure that the end sector matches with the list below. I think i faced this with the extended partitions as well - so this is applicable to any partition where you face this error with the start sector
- once you have created all 6 partitions with exact End Sector numbers and Partition IDs, enter the fdisk expert mode (x) and here you can update the start sector back to 63 and so on ... exit the expert mode using 'r' option once done
- Ensure that the listing of the partition table is an exact match with the list below except for the Device drive letter and use the 'w' command to save the changes. So, all the start and end sectors should match and the sector size (Sectors column) should also match - the types and IDs should also match.
- Ensure you have saved all changes with the 'w' option.
- You now have a PCM3.1 partitioned disk - you can always exit fdisk and then return to double check that the listing is exactly the same - any mismatch could cause the PCM update disk to fail so double checking helps
- if all the partitions are fine, then plug the SSD back into the PCM and resume your update from the blue screen. (or re-run the entire update disk if you don't have a blue screen).
- You should now get back a fully working system except for Navi and you will have a jukebox as before (it will be empty and you have to load your audio files again)
- If you were able to make clean images of the large partitions (partitions 3 and/or 6) mentioned in Option 2 -then you can restore just those partitions to the corresponding newly created partitions on the SSD before plugging the SSD back into the PCM to resume the update. If there are no errors in restoring those images, then you will likely be able to get the maps or jukebox media back as well...

----------------------------------
The Device drive letter (Ex: The 'd' in /dev/sdd in the list below) is specific on the number of disks connected to the system - so in your case this could be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc etc.. be sure to connect to the right disk before making changes!

Disk type dos

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size ID Type
/dev/sdd1 * 63 4209029 4208967 2G 4d QNX4.x
/dev/sdd2 4209030 6313544 2104515 1G 4e QNX4.x 2nd part
/dev/sdd3 6313545 109081349 102767805 49G 4f QNX4.x 3rd part
/dev/sdd4 109081350 195366464 86285115 41.1G 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 109081413 111185864 2104452 1G 50 Ontrack DM
/dev/sdd6 111185928 195366464 84180537 40.1G 51 Ontrack DM6 Aux1

NOTE: This is common information that anyone can gather from a working or partially working HDD using any disk partition tool and i got this while cloning my drive for backup - so this is open information
-----------------------------------------------------
Option 3 definitely works! Solved my main problem, Thanks Kari! I say main problem being 1. reboot every 3-4min and 2. Later getting stuck in Emergency screen by my dealer attempt to fix

Quick Backround -

My problem was the reboot every 3-4 minutes. Took it into dealer to do an update (before I found this thread, other threads thought update would help). Since root cause was really the HDD, dealer attempt to update crashed when it tries to write files to HDD and left me in Emergency mode (Thank you very much Porsche service people). This same dealer then told me they would get me a discounted rate of $3750 to get a new one and installed (out the door price). Yikes! Not even being able to get me back to at least music / reboot every few minutes when I brought it in.

Lots of tinkering before I found this thread, but I'll distill it to the facts I do know that would have helped me for those folks perhaps just finding this thread or doing their own trouble shooting -

1. Replaced the HDD with a new BLANK one - tried all kinds of formats. Update still crashed when writing files to HDD (stays in Emergency mode)
2. Remove the HDD altogether and run update - crashes at exactly the same point as #1 (stays in Emergency mode).
3. Another discussion with a guy in UK - OS for the unit is Neutrino (QNX) - after research a bit its an robust "industrial" system deployed in many car computer

Conclusion -

Taking a new disk and following the instructions Kari gave as Option 3 - to create the partitions with start and end points. Then run update disk to the end and it works! Out of the emergency loop and everything I tried so far works except NAV. Nav is somehow locked to the unit with VIN that you need to program at dealer and is costly per what I heard if you can't clone your old one (my case to-date) and recover the data from the HDD partitions to unlock. My current project is figure out how to clone a drive in bad condition with read errors.

For fun, now that I am more knowledgeable and out of Emergency mode I put back in the old one and it went back to the 3-4 min reboot, and Nav hangs there as well. clearly pointing back to HDD. Probably even though not doing NAV, every 3-4 minutes it tried to update some data on the hard drive and causes reboot.

So for me - 3-4 minute reboot cycle solved, music & jukebox restored, and out of emergency mode.
Onward to restore the data to re-enable NAV. No way I'm letting the dealer touch this thing with all the grief they caused me so far.

Bill N
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks - Was thinking about just cloning the HDD just in case it ever dies as its getting on in years now... Would feel more comfortable having a backup I can restore in case it dies
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BillN
Option 3 definitely works! Solved my main problem, Thanks Kari! I say main problem being 1. reboot every 3-4min and 2. Later getting stuck in Emergency screen by my dealer attempt to fix

Quick Backround -

My problem was the reboot every 3-4 minutes. Took it into dealer to do an update (before I found this thread, other threads thought update would help). Since root cause was really the HDD, dealer attempt to update crashed when it tries to write files to HDD and left me in Emergency mode (Thank you very much Porsche service people). This same dealer then told me they would get me a discounted rate of $3750 to get a new one and installed (out the door price). Yikes! Not even being able to get me back to at least music / reboot every few minutes when I brought it in.

Lots of tinkering before I found this thread, but I'll distill it to the facts I do know that would have helped me for those folks perhaps just finding this thread or doing their own trouble shooting -

1. Replaced the HDD with a new BLANK one - tried all kinds of formats. Update still crashed when writing files to HDD (stays in Emergency mode)
2. Remove the HDD altogether and run update - crashes at exactly the same point as #1 (stays in Emergency mode).
3. Another discussion with a guy in UK - OS for the unit is Neutrino (QNX) - after research a bit its an robust "industrial" system deployed in many car computer

Conclusion -

Taking a new disk and following the instructions Kari gave as Option 3 - to create the partitions with start and end points. Then run update disk to the end and it works! Out of the emergency loop and everything I tried so far works except NAV. Nav is somehow locked to the unit with VIN that you need to program at dealer and is costly per what I heard if you can't clone your old one (my case to-date) and recover the data from the HDD partitions to unlock. My current project is figure out how to clone a drive in bad condition with read errors.

For fun, now that I am more knowledgeable and out of Emergency mode I put back in the old one and it went back to the 3-4 min reboot, and Nav hangs there as well. clearly pointing back to HDD. Probably even though not doing NAV, every 3-4 minutes it tried to update some data on the hard drive and causes reboot.

So for me - 3-4 minute reboot cycle solved, music & jukebox restored, and out of emergency mode.
Onward to restore the data to re-enable NAV. No way I'm letting the dealer touch this thing with all the grief they caused me so far.

Bill N
If you are unable to recover the nav partition and know the actual version of maps that were installed before, try to find the corresponding map dvds (not the key dvd but the actual Porsche map dvds) - and you can install the maps yourself - you just need to run the relevant map DVDs like you did the update disk.

Piwis/dealer activation is only required if you are going to a different version from what was initially installed... so say you lost a HDD loaded with 2013 maps, you dont need activation for 2013 maps , just the 2013 map disks...but if you get 2018 dvds (see related thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1139...l#post15838611 ) then you need to get the key and have it entered through Piwis...

Last edited by kari; 04-05-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM
BillN
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given what I learned "the hard way", I wish I had done just that. Its relatively easy to remove and get access to the drive - don't even need to unplug the PCM from the quad lock, and clone a backup. Keep in mind there are stickers on the top that indicate the seal broken, so if you are still under warranty you might want to wait. Once you are out of warranty, full speed ahead. Porsche was gracious enough to offer me a discount to $3750 for getting me stuck in emergency mode, less than 6 months out of warranty.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:47 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189
Thanks - Was thinking about just cloning the HDD just in case it ever dies as its getting on in years now... Would feel more comfortable having a backup I can restore in case it dies
I agree with Bill - better to take a backup when its a working HDD - more so if you are out of warranty. Saves a lot of trouble later on if the HDD were to fail..
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by BillN
Use a physical cloning device that doesn't care what the OS is - or the condition of the disk. It does a block for block copy of whatever is on the source disk. Doesn't even need a computer, and on disks I've tried it's fast. The one I bought is "WAVLINK" https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/ST334U.html

Walmart has it for $36, I think it was about the same on Amazon when I bought it. My wife's laptop decided to crash it's hard-drive at a very inopportune time for me (health issues). It would no longer boot. It had a 1TB disk drive, I wanted to install a 2TB SSD to replace it. So I bought the SSD and tried every disk cloning program I could find. EVERY damn one of them stopped dead as soon as it ran into the first bad block. It had me pulling hair out... then I thought about this device - that basically is used by police agencies to copy drives they want to explore, yet retain the original drive as it came out of the computer. It does a simple replication, drive to drive with no formatting - it creates an identical clone bit for bit of a drive. It can also be used to copy a drive from one type to another, or one size to another. It doesn't care about bad blocks since it has no error checking to find them. It worked perfectly. I cloned the bad drive to a new SSD drive, put it in the computer and it booted just fine. I then used the Windows tool that checks all the system files and replaces any damaged ones - that worked fine. I left the basic SSD as a 1TB primary partition, then setup RAID1 to do a disk-to-disk realtime backup to the other TB left on the SSD drive. It's been working just fine. I've since used it a number of times when I wanted to convert computers from physical disks to SSD drives, and it works perfectly. Good tool and not expensive.

My WAG - this will do what you want to do.
The following users liked this post:
tj90 (03-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:39 PM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi Kari

Emergency upload in Rebooting loop

Old 04-25-2020, 01:04 PM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Default Hi Emergency upload interrupted

I was trying to upgrade The pcm because my actual version pcm 3,1 v4,73 was rebooting/restarting every 2 minutes

So by mistake I did instal the pcm 3.1 from 25-Mar.2013

now that I have the right cd 3,1 v4,76 the emergency upload is almost done by 95% and is interrupted by a error on :PLACEHOLDER

what shull I do? 🙅‍♀️
do I have the right CD version?
how can I complete the upload
I will

This is where my upload get Interrupted. And I get the error and pcm shutdown

My first pcm 3.1 v4,73 where the problem started with restarting every 2 min

Than I did download the older version
Appreciate any kind of help

Kari, I’d love some help with this as my PCM is stuck in an emergency update cycle (after dealer tried to update software) and I was told there is no fix other than to order a new PCM & replace the defective unit.
Rufastenuf (03-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2020, 02:34 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by johannaKarlsson

Emergency upload in Rebooting loop
Looks like an issue with the hard disk in the PCM.
Why were you trying to update the firmware using the DVD - did you have any other problems?

johannaKarlsson (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:43 PM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Default Hi Kari

Why were you trying to update the firmware using the DVD - did you have any other problems?
when I started the 911 turbo, for the first time after the winter break.
PCM was ok except the notifications of uploading/downloading new Maps... wich I did ignore! ...

after a while. PCM started to shut down and restart itself. ..and Stil al functions war working!

than suddenly , phone , blotooth . CarPlay was not working and the pcm was still going ON and OFF all the time only Radio Aux and disc was working Navi also ...

so I did put in the PCM 3.1 MULTIMEDIA UPDATE Disc 911 Boxter Cayman Cayenne Panamera from 06.2013

but my car is 2014 🙈..

it did. upload and after that Appears Emergency upload!

i have now the cd PCM 3,1 V4,76 and I try to do the upload, wich is not working
​​​​​​... so othe issues except tho ON and OFF I did not have 🤦‍♀️

Old 04-25-2020, 04:53 PM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Default Hi Kari

when I started the 911 turbo, for the first time after the winter break.
PCM was ok except the notifications of uploading/downloading new Maps... wich I did ignore! ...

after a while. PCM started to shut down and restart itself. ..and Stil al functions war working!

than suddenly , phone , blotooth . CarPlay was not working and the pcm was still going ON and OFF all the time only Radio Aux and disc was working Navi also ...

so I did put in the PCM 3.1 MULTIMEDIA UPDATE Disc 911 Boxter Cayman Cayenne Panamera from 06.2013

but my car is 2014 🙈..

it did. upload and after that Appears Emergency upload!

i have now the cd PCM 3,1 V4,76 and I try to do the upload, wich is not working
​​​​​​... so othe issues except tho ON and OFF I did not have 🤦‍♀️

This is are the first cd wich after the upload caused the Emergency Update

This cd is From 2013 and my car is from 2014 wich did have pcm 3.1 V4.73 After upload came Emergency Update

Trying with 3.1 v4.76 but get a error copying files : placeholder
Old 04-26-2020, 09:52 AM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Default Hi kari

I was trying to Update PCM Because when I startet the car for the first time after the WInter It popt up a notification that navigating wanted to make a new map upload . Which I ignored...

after a while then the PCM started to go on an off all the time.

every Funktion like navi,Radio,blotooth music ... did work good ! Even that PCM went on and off EVERY 3min

Some days blotooth, phon, iPad, jockbox didn’t work..... only radio ,disc, aux, navi and camera worked ok , and PCM was still going ON /OFF EVERY 3min

someone said that I need to do updates and gave me the DVD PCM 3.1 Multimedia Update Disc 911 Boxter Cayman Cayenne Panamera from 06.2013 ...

but my car was 2014 with PCM 3.1 v4.73. 😰

the "updating" with the old update did go through! 🥶
an direkt auf der Web cam die notification 😈 Emergency update😈

On another forum they told me I need DVD PCM 3.1 V4.76 ... Which I also did

now when I try to update the DVD PCM 3.1 V4.76 ... I get the ERROR COPYING FILES notification DIRECT AT. PLACEHOLDER

I will post also the pictures of the 3 DVDs from old version and the the one from PCM 3.1 V4.76
Old 04-26-2020, 09:54 AM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Hi kari

I was trying to Update PCM Because when I startet the car for the first time after the WInter It popt up a notification that navigating wanted to make a new map upload . Which I ignored...

every Funktion like navi,Radio,blotooth music ... did work good ! Even that PCM went on and off EVERY 3min

Some days blotooth, phon, iPad, jockbox didn’t work..... only radio ,disc, aux, navi and camera worked ok , and PCM was still going ON /OFF EVERY 3min

someone said that I need to do updates and gave me the DVD PCM 3.1 Multimedia Update Disc 911 Boxter Cayman Cayenne Panamera from 06.2013 ...

now when I try to update the DVD PCM 3.1 V4.76 ... I get the ERROR COPYING FILES notification DIRECT AT. PLACEHOLDER

I will post also the pictures of the 3 DVDs from old version and the the one from PCM 3.1 V4.76
Old 04-26-2020, 10:00 AM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

hi kari

Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 AM
johannaKarlsson
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop