Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020 | 06:59 PM
thigobr
Cruisin'

Hey guys!

Another update!

So I was able to fully format the original Toshiba hard drive, restore the original image and use QNIX to repair the file system as unfortunately the image I created last year already had a corrupted FS. I think it was probably because of the reboots or maybe because of the car battery as the car had the battery replaced by the dealership.
So far so good! I tried the same with the Kingspec SSD and it really doesn't work!
But I placed the Toshiba drive back and it worked! I was able to run the update DVD without issues as well! The great news is that everything is working now! Bluetooth, Phone, and even navigation/Maps!

I checked SMART information from Toshiba and it's indeed dying... So I know it won't last long. Because of the bad HDD health I ordered a
Zheino 128GB IDE SSD Zheino 128GB IDE SSD
and also ordered a
Ableconn mSATA to 2.5 IDE adapter Ableconn mSATA to 2.5 IDE adapter
to use with a
Transcend 128GB mSATA SSD Transcend 128GB mSATA SSD
. I will test both and report if they work or not!

Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by thigobr:
DemonBG (03-03-2022), Salt (12-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2020 | 03:26 AM
SFOJAM
Instructor

I'm having this problem, started today while cloning my old hard drive and replacing with an SSD.

Emergency Update screen comes up, and when I insert the update disk (PCM_20150721) (Labelled 08/2015) I get

Device: PCMS02XX1221
Module: PCM3_IFS1_MOPF_9x1.ifs
Error programming flash memory!

I am afraid I may have had a power fluctuation while updating, as this error seems to be pretty consistent. I've tried updating a couple of times, with the ssd, without. Don't want to chance my old hdd so haven't tried that.

Kari, (If you're reading this), I've read your #21 post about modifying the Control section of the update disk.

I'm planning on doing that tomorrow, because for the life of me I can't find a fast way to burn the iso/img to a usb
Old 06-14-2020 | 08:44 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by SFOJAM
I'm having this problem, started today while cloning my old hard drive and replacing with an SSD.

Emergency Update screen comes up, and when I insert the update disk (PCM_20150721) (Labelled 08/2015) I get

Device: PCMS02XX1221
Module: PCM3_IFS1_MOPF_9x1.ifs
Error programming flash memory!

I am afraid I may have had a power fluctuation while updating, as this error seems to be pretty consistent. I've tried updating a couple of times, with the ssd, without. Don't want to chance my old hdd so haven't tried that.

Kari, (If you're reading this), I've read your #21 post about modifying the Control section of the update disk.

I'm planning on doing that tomorrow, because for the life of me I can't find a fast way to burn the iso/img to a usb
Its always recommended to hook up a battery tender or at least have the engine running when performing an update and to keep away from doing anything that could load a weak battery or one that is not fully charged when the update is in progress.. ( like switching on lights or systems that involve a motor etc..)

Sfojam,

The error you have posted has nothing to do with the HDD or SSD - the update to the internal PCM unit flash is resulting in errors - this is most likely an embedded firmware or hardware issue now.

Were you having problems with the PCM unit before you began this process of HDD to SSD conversion? if so there could be a preexisting problem with the flash memory. Also, you mention power fluctuation while updating - power failure or fluctuation during firmware updates to embedded systems could potentially brick the system - so if you had no pre-existing issues with your PCM then this could also be the cause...

Either way, running the update DVD with the original HDD or the new SSD or without any disk at all wont help resolve the issue you have at hand as the software update is failing at an earlier stage. You may be able to get out of the boot loop using the approach in step #21 but the system may also go right back into emergency mode or may end up completely bricked on performing these steps as the error you posted has to do with the image file system (*.ifs) which is the actual operating system controlling the unit!!!

You can reattempt the update using a USB drive instead of the DVD. The contents of update disk you have (PCM_20150721) (Labelled 08/2015) can be directly copied to usb and you dont have to worry about ISO images. Just open the DVD in your computer and copy all files and folders in the DVD to a clean formatted USB drive (USB has to be formatted FAT32 or VFAT otherwise may not be detected) and then use that usb drive.

If you want to try the steps in post #21 at your own risk given the points I mentioned earlier - try commenting out PCM31APP in addition to the other modules in that post as the failure occurs earlier. So, in your case, you will only have the 2 lines for PCM31EMR, PCM31IOC in the updated block for PCMS02XX1221. You can edit the relevant file in the USB drive from the previous step as described in post #21...

Keep us posted!
Old 06-14-2020 | 12:53 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Kari,
Thanks for your guidance!
I didn't have any problems before, and I understand your distinction between flash and ssd/hdd.

So, here's the scoop with no HDD/SSD installed:
Last night the update was failing at .placeholder
This morning, I used the USB with only PCM31EMR, PCM31IOC and I got the error unable to parse media.
On a whim, I tried the full disk update, and it failed at 95% (I think it was .placeholder and hdd cleanup)

I thought the HDD absence may be causing it; installed HDD, and this time it failed at like 35%, with PCM3_IFS2

My plan is to remove the hdd/ssd, take my laptop down into the car, and try commenting out the lines individually to get out of the loop.

Stay tuned for updates.
Old 06-14-2020 | 01:29 PM
kari
Instructor

Kari,
Thanks for your guidance!
I didn't have any problems before, and I understand your distinction between flash and ssd/hdd.

So, here's the scoop with no HDD/SSD installed:
Last night the update was failing at .placeholder
This morning, I used the USB with only PCM31EMR, PCM31IOC and I got the error unable to parse media.
On a whim, I tried the full disk update, and it failed at 95% (I think it was .placeholder and hdd cleanup)

I thought the HDD absence may be causing it; installed HDD, and this time it failed at like 35%, with PCM3_IFS2

My plan is to remove the hdd/ssd, take my laptop down into the car, and try commenting out the lines individually to get out of the loop.

Stay tuned for updates.
Things are failing at different places - have you considered the possibility that your dvd drive may be dirty or the disk scratched? Its understood that the update would fail the files in the HDD block without a HDD but there is no correlation between failures with IFS or IFS2 and having a HDD or not...

Would suggest copying the entire contents into a USB stick and attempting the update. The unable to parse media error could occur if your usb stick is formatted incorrectly or possibly with unsupported brands of USB sticks or if there was an error editing the .def file.... - I used a lexar 16gb usb stick. The Kingston one I had did not work. So try different models...and ensure you copy the entire DVD over and not just a subset of files and folders...

Also, commenting out modules and attempting to update individual modules did not work for me - the sequence had to be followed.. EMR, IOC, APP, HDD, CFG - i could not attempt an update of HDD and CFG directly... anyway, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-14-2020 | 02:17 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Kari,

You were right. Looks like a different USB worked.
I reinstalled the Toshiba hdd and used an old 8gb HP USB; with the full, unedited upgrade disk, and it worked.
Better to be lucky than good. (My backup plan was to look at the sequence of the 400.def file and ensure that it matched the CONTROL sequence.)

So, back to HDD to SSD cloning. I thought I had a good clone, but I guess I don't; when I installed the SSD; I got the NAVI loading message.

My plan is to re-do the clone using drivegenius. I wish there was a decent GUI type software for MacOS; my command line sucks.
Old 06-14-2020 | 02:42 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Using DiskGenius

Since I only have one external case, and only one PC in the house, with only one USB port, I reformatted a 256gb usb.

Started by backing up, then restoring, partition table from toshiba to usb drive. On the plus side when that's done, I'll have a backup!!

Which may have been unnecessary because the clone copies at sector level....

So cloning from toshiba to usb is a couple of hours.

Once that's done, planning to swap toshiba with Kingston ssd and clone back the other way.
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2020 | 02:54 PM
kari
Instructor

Kari,

You were right. Looks like a different USB worked.
I reinstalled the Toshiba hdd and used an old 8gb HP USB; with the full, unedited upgrade disk, and it worked.
Better to be lucky than good. (My backup plan was to look at the sequence of the 400.def file and ensure that it matched the CONTROL sequence.)

So, back to HDD to SSD cloning. I thought I had a good clone, but I guess I don't; when I installed the SSD; I got the NAVI loading message.

My plan is to re-do the clone using drivegenius. I wish there was a decent GUI type software for MacOS; my command line sucks.
Thats great! you got back to a working system.

I dont have a Mac so no ideas on that front except that:
- Clonezilla has a basic GUI - while not as friendly as a newer cloning tool you dont have to use command line - just scroll/click and select options. You can directly boot from USB or DVD so no need to install either. And there are videos on youtube on using it
- From your earlier update looks like you already have a working SSD except for maps. if that is the case you dont have to clone the entire disk but just clone the relevant partition (There are 2 large partitions on the newer PCM3.1 hdd - one is for maps and the other for jukebox so you can just reattempt a sector-to-sector clone of those partitions...) Even a single warning/error during the clone could result in the problem you describe as the filesystem is not recognized by most cloning tools... I ran into this issue when I was attempting a HDD -> laptop image -> SSD approach when I got 1 single warning and no errors but things did not work - so i ended up doing a HDD -> SSD clone directly and there were no errors/warnings on that run....

Old 06-14-2020 | 06:35 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Much Success. Thank you Kari, and indeed Rennlist. This would have been near impossible and much more difficult without you.

Recap:
Issue: Preventative maintenance. HDD upgrade to SSD, with backup image, and PCM 3.1 4.13 upgraded to 4.76.
While updating, I was using what I believe to be a scratched disk, car wasn't connected to power, and a SanDisk USB. Bottom line, got myself into the emergency loop.

Rule:
1. Have the car hooked up to a battery tender
2. Don't do two things at once. Upgrade first, then clone the hdd.
3. I used DiskGenius for PC. As far as I know there are NO good Mac alternatives, and Mac may not even be able to read the QNX os/files on PCM.
4. Use a usb when doing the upgrade. Some USB brands aren't as stable as others, no idea why. My old HP 8GB USB worked, SanDisk high speed 32gb did not. (Maybe only USB2, not USB3??)

Application:
1. I chose to create a laptop/USB local backup of my HDD first, then restore from that.
2. Because of differing disk sizes, I was forced to first create the partition table, then clone the individual five partitions.
3. Still working on figuring out what final format I want the backup file in.

Conclusion:
Maybe a smidge zippier than before, but I also installed a glass screen protector and a rennline phone mount at the same time.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFOJAM:
clipper (12-09-2023), kari (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:00 PM
thigobr
Cruisin'

To resume my saga: I received both the Zheino IDE PATA SSD and a Ableconn mSATA to IDE2.5 adapter. Tested and both worked with PCM. I will keep the mSATA adapter just because it's newer and the performance numbers with the Transcend SSD I am using are better compared to Zheino SSD.
The secret of the Ableconn adapter is that it's based on a Marvell 88SA8052 chipset.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (04-14-2022)
Old 06-15-2020 | 11:20 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Nice work

Also for those planning on doing the update - skip the drama and use a USB stick if possible I used the exact same USB stick SFOJAM did and it worked perfectly. Also you can use WinRAR to unzip an ISO file directly to a USB stick.
Old 07-06-2020 | 01:31 PM
Mita11
Track Day

I am asking a little help concerning the upgrade via USB port: used two different type of USB 2.0 sticks, copied all the files from the iso after the mounting. Inserted the USB and restarted the PCM holding the info + source button together. The PCM 3.1 restarts but not entering emergency boot mode, booted in normal mode. After a couple of seconds the unit displays "can not find audio media" indicates it is successfully read the USB. What did I missed?
Old 07-07-2020 | 11:29 AM
Borowich
3rd Gear

Hi,
A friend on mine has some troubles with his PCM 3.1 v2.45 on Poche Cayenne 2011.
The hard drive is completely out of order and needed to be replaced.
The current HD is: Toshiba MK4050GAC 40G

From what I understood, the steps do is :

1) Get the same new HD or Zheino IDE PATA SSD or Ableconn mSATA to IDE2.5 adapter associate with SSD.
2) Do the same partition on new Drive
3) Install a firmware update for the current version of PCM. (if not wrong it will be 2.47 ?? ) by using USB.

if I am not wrong, that way he will get back access to Bluetooth, jukebox and other apps
except for Navigation and maps.

If it's possible, can someone share the software update (iso).
Thx for your help in advance.

Boro

Old 07-08-2020 | 01:22 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Borowich
Hi,
A friend on mine has some troubles with his PCM 3.1 v2.45 on Poche Cayenne 2011.
The hard drive is completely out of order and needed to be replaced.
The current HD is: Toshiba MK4050GAC 40G

From what I understood, the steps do is :

1) Get the same new HD or Zheino IDE PATA SSD or Ableconn mSATA to IDE2.5 adapter associate with SSD.
2) Do the same partition on new Drive
3) Install a firmware update for the current version of PCM. (if not wrong it will be 2.47 ?? ) by using USB.

if I am not wrong, that way he will get back access to Bluetooth, jukebox and other apps
except for Navigation and maps.

If it's possible, can someone share the software update (iso).
Thx for your help in advance.

Boro
Thats correct - also the ISO should be available in a thread somewhere on here
Old 07-08-2020 | 06:36 PM
Borowich
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dan_189
Thats correct - also the ISO should be available in a thread somewhere on here
Hi thanks for ur answer, not sure but I got this file pcm_20150721 (4.5 go).
is it the right one or I should keep looking ?

Thx

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop