Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:22 PM
MyMiCan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kari for the instruction.
I have Macan S 2015 - PCM3.1 and V4.73 - Australia version.
The PCM is reboot every 5 mins and Map and Nav is stuck at loading screen.
Just would like to confirm that the update disk WKD95280017/16/15 (iso image) works for Macan please?
1. The PCM3.1 update disk WKD95280017/16/15 (check out post 25 in thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...l#post16428326 for an iso image)

Thanks and Appreciated for your help in advance.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:50 PM
Obrevik
Track Day

can anyone confirm that this is a good partition for a older IDE pcm 3.1?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:50 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mrjlevy
Found this after doing research. Industrial SSD with operating temps -40C to +85C. Transcend SSD452K
I ordered this exact drive back in November...
https://www.directdial.com/us/item/1...s128gssd450k-i

I kid you not, but it was just delivered
6 month backorder... interesting

that said,
the nice range of industrial operating temps seem appropriate for to use this SSD for this DYI
fun for the weekend
Old 04-12-2021, 08:16 AM
brakerlord
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked out a popular forum site and it seems like everyone with Sirius is being affected. Dealerships are currently being swamped with Speed Test calls.

Last edited by brakerlord; 04-13-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Lars997
Cruisin'

@kari First of all thank you for your excessive knowledge sharing in this thread.

My name is Lars from Germany. I too have a 991 with a bad HDD. Over the last 7 days, I tried to fix based on your explanations. My update was running until 98%, then it stopped. I tried what you recommended to Johanna, I formated Partition 1 and then modified partition to 4E.

Since that my PCM won't switch on anymore with the harddrive connected. If I take the HDD out, the unit starts, even the update runs until 98%. But as soon as I add the HDD again, it stuck again at the 98%.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thank you - much appreciate your support
Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Lars997
Cruisin'

Hi Karli,

after formatting the Partition 1 (ID 4E), this is how my SDD looks like. I see that the File System is EXT2, as you told it to Johanna. However, might this be the issue while my PCM wont start anymore? And - I don't know how to change the file system with Disk Genius to QNX, I only have EXT2 as an option. Also - Default size is 4096, however, you talked in your explanations about Default Size 1024.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-02-2021, 06:14 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Lars997
Hi Karli,

after formatting the Partition 1 (ID 4E), this is how my SDD looks like. I see that the File System is EXT2, as you told it to Johanna. However, might this be the issue while my PCM wont start anymore? And - I don't know how to change the file system with Disk Genius to QNX, I only have EXT2 as an option. Also - Default size is 4096, however, you talked in your explanations about Default Size 1024.

Thanks for your help!
Looks like disk genius has changed since the last time I used it, not sure if means that it no longer supports what we want or not.

Remove the 'H' attribute against the partition 1 (4E) and try again... H indicates hidden and we dont want that partition hidden...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM
Lars997
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kari
Looks like disk genius has changed since the last time I used it, not sure if means that it no longer supports what we want or not.

Remove the 'H' attribute against the partition 1 (4E) and try again... H indicates hidden and we dont want that partition hidden...

​​​​​​Thank you for the quick feedback. When I remove the H I end up with ID83.

Maybe I try to setup a blank SSD tomorrow. I will let you know.

If anything else I can try crosses your mind, please share it with me)
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lars997
@kari First of all thank you for your excessive knowledge sharing in this thread.

My name is Lars from Germany. I too have a 991 with a bad HDD. Over the last 7 days, I tried to fix based on your explanations. My update was running until 98%, then it stopped. I tried what you recommended to Johanna, I formated Partition 1 and then modified partition to 4E.

Since that my PCM won't switch on anymore with the harddrive connected. If I take the HDD out, the unit starts, even the update runs until 98%. But as soon as I add the HDD again, it stuck again at the 98%.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thank you - much appreciate your support
What media are you using to update USB or DVD? I had similar issues with DVD but then extracted ISO to USB ran the update which worked. If the DVD has a miswritten file the update will fail. However in your case sounds like a PCM hardware issue. Is your HDD cable to the PCM connected correctly?
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 AM
Lars997
Cruisin'

Thanks for your answers guys.

@Kari: When I set the partition to "un-hide", it goes back to ID 83. File System stays in any case at EXT2
@Dan: Thanks for giving me tips! I tried USB and DVD. Tried 3 different sticks and burned 3 DVDs - always same result

The problem that the Screen stays off, I received after I manually formatted the Partition #1. So my guess it has to do with that.

@Kari - as you had PM with Johanna, may you tell me the following: Did she also change the DEF File and skipped the last part of the installation or did she just make the format partition trick?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Lars997
Cruisin'

OK Guys - thanks again for your input.

Where have I been: My unit doesn't switch on anymore / Screen stays black after I cloned the drive, formatted Partition #1, modified to 4E, however File System was EXT2 instead of QNX. Couldnt change it to QNX

I did the following:
- With Disk Genius I cleaned the Partition #1
- With Disk Genius I "DID NOT" Format Partition #1, but I modified it to type 4E, press saves all - now my partition is in QNX and not hidden.

I achieved: that my unit goes on again. I modified the USB Update Def-File (removed the part where it says HDD and CFG). After that my Update went through successfully (at least that's what it said)

MY PROBLEM NOW:
When I check my system info I am still on 4.63, so the update didn't go through all the way. In history, I can see a couple of errors. My Navigation still won't start (map loading).

I tried again to restart my update, but it won't start anymore. I tried different DVDs - no chance, doesn't even spin ((

My ideas to follow up:
I will start with a clean SDD
If somehow possible run I would one more time Update without modifying the DEF File.

WHAT DO YOU THINK - Any other suggestions?
Any ideas, how I can start my Update again?

Thanks, Lars

Old 05-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Lars997
Cruisin'

Feedback of today
I wiped all the partitions (zero copy) and restarted one more time the update. Indeed it started and went back to emergency mode. But again - the pre-last step in the DEF-Script "HDD" was not going through. So I blanked "HDD..." out but I left the last Step "CFG" in it. It ended up with a successful update, the Unit shows 4.76.
However, Map data is empty, and I have the fear that my SDD still is not accessed properly. Bluetooth works well.
Next step
1. I will try to copy the Parition 2 which contains the Navi Data to the new SDD. I hope it will read it and access it.
2. The Jukebox I never used, but I will try it now to see if I can get the HDD to work.

Will give you feedback!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:42 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

A few points in relation to the last few posts above:

1. The updates until the HDD line are for the internal firmware. If those are successful, then the firmware version for those components will be whatever the version of dvd you used.
2. the CFG module is just a update to the version history file - it provides the version history when you query the PCM unit. Updating or not updating the CFG module makes no functional difference to the firmware that I know of except for showing the version history on the screen.
3. When updates fail at the HDD stage (~98%), there could be multiple reasons. Most of this thread's success stories cover 3 scenarios:
- A dying SSD/HDD (bad sectors/HDD hardware issues) - one is able to clone to a new SSD and restore lost functionality
- A completely dead HDD - so one could build a new SSD from scratch and atleast get back the rest of the functionality except navigation (unless you were able to get the exact same version of maps from another HDD somehow or clone just the relevant partition without errors)
- A working HDD/SSD but with partition or filesystem corruption (while this is supposed to be rare, it does occur in many of the instances). Cloning does not help in this scenario as this corruption is copied over to the clone. This is where the attempts to format the relevant partitions using various tools (as very few tools support qnx format) to get the update disk to run and update the HDD partitions and complete the install

But there are cases too where the HDD/SSD is fine but the problem lies with the PCM unit itself as I found when helping a member last week. It could be the HDD connectors/flex cables or internal controller hardware have failed, or there could be other hardware issues with the internal data bus or embedded firmware. Or cases where the cabling is loose/misaligned/connected incorrectly as well. In such cases, the unit does not detect the HDD/SSD at all - your update will continue to fail at 98% - so just looking at the screen there is no way to know if the problem is with the HDD or otherwise. Obviously, replacing the SSD is the cheapest so one should give that a shot before looking at other options IMO.

If you are cloning your own HDD to SSD as a preventive maintenance step, then there is no need to run the update dvd. Use the update dvd only if you already have issues like a frequent restart or missing bluetooth etc that you want to fix. Otherwise, there is a potential risk that the update could actually result in unexpected situations.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Lars997
Cruisin'

Thanks Kari - I follow your summary completely! I think, after having a new SSD (a clean one, with partitions made manually), the system needs to run with the full update, including the HDD step to activate the HDD - is that right?

My current situation is - no Jukebox, no Navigation (which is ok as I have a clean SSD). However, the Jukebox not working tells me, that the unit doesn't like my SSD. It behaves like not having a Hard drive at all (which I does actually work like this)

I started having the text "Navigation loading", I took out my HDD and partition 1 was completely broken. I think I tried every option; Cloning, Wiping Partition 1, Wiping all Paritions, starting from a completely new SSD, etc. Nothing was successful so far. I somehow managed to updated my unit from 4.63 to 4.76, but it didn't help.

QUESTION: Any more ideas on what I could try?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Lars997
Cruisin'

QUESTION: Is there someone who might be able to send me an image of Partition #1. Ideally using DiskGenius and the Option "Clone Partition to Image File". Maybe someone can upload it to a drive where I can download it from?

Thank you

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop