Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:05 AM
kari
Instructor

Default PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Has anyone faced this issue where PCM 3.1 is stuck in an 'Emergency Update' endless loop?
Any ideas on how to reset/resolve without a trip to the dealer?

EDIT: My issue was to do with the HDD in the PCM3.1 unit and i was able to fix mine. I've summarized the options here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16522507

Last edited by kari; 04-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johannaKarlsson (04-25-2020)

Popular Reply

04-03-2020, 02:08 PM
kari
Instructor

Continuing from the my previous post above and another post I made in the HDD to SSD clone thread, this information is for those of you trying to resolve the problem of a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting PCM3.1 due to a faulty HDD (A common scenario for the blue emergency screen is running the update disk when the PCM3.1 HDD has known or unknown faults (bad sectors/partition corruption..) or an inability to run the update disk once you get into the blue screen for some other reason that is subsequently fixed..)

NOTE: you could get a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting system for other reasons as well (faulty board or internal PCM system memory, loose connectors etc..) and this post does not cover those aspects - only a faulty HDD which seems to be a more frequent occurrence..

What you will need:
1. The PCM3.1 update disk WKD95280017/16/15 (check out post 25 in thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...l#post16428326 for an iso image)
- It does not matter what your current 4.xx sub-version is, the one ending with 17 takes you to 4.76/ one ending in 16 takes you to 4.75 and others to earlier versions
2. A replacement SATA HDD or SSD (minimum 100GB HDD or 120GB SSD 2.5 inch 'laptop size') [Note: Early PCM3.x systems use a PATA/IDE 40GB HDD - while process is similar the actual partition details were shared by thigobr - link to that post is at the end]
- The recommended drives are industrial/automotive SSDs/HDDs especially if you are in regions with extremes of climate (These disks have SMART capability with better min/max operating temps - Say, a HDD/SSD does not support extreme cold, it may not operate effectively till the vehicle warms up or shut down suddenly if it gets too cold ...industrial/automotive drives support a wider range of operating temperatures. However, those are expensive or difficult to find - check the specs of the disks you buy.
- I went with a regular Kingston A400 120GB for now and others have used PNY.. I think any SATA HDD/SDD of any size more than 100GB will likely work. But note that based on what I know so far adding more SSD space does not equate to more jukebox space.. more space will only provide some more redundancy for the SSD (extends SSD usability in the really long term.... hence the recommendation to go for a min of 120GB SSD - 240 or more would be overkill in my view)
3. Clonezilla or another disk cloning and partitioning tool
- I used Clonezilla (Thanks to Jslo's post on the SSD thread) I chose it because it is free and does not have to be installed on a computer - one can just make a Clonezilla bootable USB or CD/DVD and use it.. others may prefer another disk cloning tool but some of the steps here are not about cloning but about partitioning a new disk..
- the other benefit is that Clonezilla has fdisk built in and that can be used for partitioning (option 3)...so secure a tool you are comfortable with that allows you to build partitions in case cloning fails

What are the options in my view:
1) If you do not have a replacement HDD/SSD handy, Post #21 in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16510863) works and will get you out of the blue screen but the HDD remains faulty. Depending on where the HDD fault lies, your system may still continue to reboot/behave sluggishly or crash during specific operations but you may be lucky like me and regain the functionality you need atleast for the immediate future (If you do not continue to face the rebooting issue, you will most likely have a working Radio and CD player. Other audio options may work too but there could be problems with one or more of : navigating the PCM screens, Navigation/maps, cameras/park assist and Jukebox.)

2) Clone your HDD to SSD or another HDD - If you are not able to use Clonezilla, explore other options like shipping the faulty HDD to an expert to make a good clone or try other cloning software. If you want to restore your existing maps/navigation data or jukebox media, an error free clone of the disk or at least the 2 large partitions on the disk is essential (See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/1166469-upgraded-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-to-ssd.html and there is a complete discussion on this topic. )
Some tips:
a. Use sector-to-sector i.e dd method to create your new disk. This is a good way to get back to fully working navigation and also get back any media on your jukebox. You can use Clonezilla or another cloning tool but you need to do a disk-disk clone with the sector-to-sector option...
b. if your HDD has more significant damage and a disk-disk clone fails, try to make local images of the individual partitions on the disk using partition-to-image, especially the 2 large partitions which I think are for your maps and jukebox media. If there are no errors in taking images of these 2 large partitions, then they can be potentially used later ..see next option (option 3)
c. Any error during the image or restore process on the 2 large partitions would mean that those partitions have issues (or the cloning process failed) and you may not be able to get back navigation or the audio files you have in the jukebox depending on the partition with the error. The smaller partitions are restored by the PCM3.1update disk, so i wouldn't worry about those too much in this situation. Any navigation/chrono and other licenses are the same as before - you won't lose them but you lose the data (so if you had navigation and during cloning, the maps partition cannot be restored properly, there will be no map files for the system to use; if the jukebox partition has errors you may not be able to get the songs or other audio files you had previously loaded into the jukebox..) In this case, till you find a way to recover those partitions, a good option to get a working system is the same as described in Option 3 below.

3) If your current HDD is completely dead or has extensive damage and any attempt at cloning the entire disk without errors fails, then the next set of steps will get you back to a fully functional system with an empty jukebox (if you had one) but there will be no Maps/Navi. This option is better than requesting copies of someone else's disk drive (from the posts I've seen so far this does not bring back maps anyway - I have no idea if maps are locked to a vin or not but even if they are not, the version of the maps on the disk has to be compatible with the license key coded in the PCM..otherwise the maps wont work anyway...) - so this will get you going if you do not plan to restore the Navi or atleast for the short term till as you explore other options to recover your map data or jukebox files (for cases where the map/jukebox partitions can be cloned separately but the other partitions are faulty causing a full HDD clone to fail)
- NOTE: There will be a 'loading navi' message instead when you try to view maps but everything else you had earlier should work - Based on my current understanding, if you wants the maps working, a trip to to the dealer to reload the map files (mainly labor to run a set of DVDs they have for the specific version of the maps one is licensed for) should be sufficient or you can buy a new key and have the latest maps installed. (the dealer may actually recommend this unless you already had the latest map updates before HDD failure)

Steps to recreate the partition table/map in cases of a badly damaged HDD which still responds to Clonezilla commands:
If you are comfortable with Clonezilla, you can follow the steps in this post from @thewilde to just copy the partition map/table over rather than manually building the partitions: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16874136
Just be careful - running the commands using the wrong disk identifiers can mess up your computer or other disks!

Steps to setup partitions on a new SSD/HDD using Clonezilla if the old HDD is completely toast:
- Review the list of fdisk options on the net: you can use this link or any other one to understand fdisk commands: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/f...tions-in-linux
- Connect your new SSD or HDD to your PC/laptop (you can use a SATA - USB connector or a SATA USB external drive enclosure) and boot with Clonezilla (USB or CD/DVD) -
- Choose the option to get to the command prompt and type sudo fdisk /dev/sd<drive letter> . The drive letter identifies the specific disk. WARNING: Be sure to connect to the correct SSD/HDD - you can easily corrupt your laptop/desktop if you were to accidentally connect to that drive instead - so make sure of the drive letter.
- delete all partitions on your replacement HDD/ SSD (you will lose all data - so be doubly sure that you are using fdisk on the right disk) and then
- use the 'o' option in fdisk to create a new blank partition table for 'dos'
- Then create new partitions 1-6 on the SSD using the 'n' option and each time enter the start and end sector numbers below. also set the partition ID as you create the partition using the 't' option (4d, 4e, 4f...). You will likely have issues entering some start numbers (ex: when i tried to create the first partition with sector 63 it did not allow that and forced a default of 2048 - continue with default of 2048 in such a case but ensure that the end sector matches with the list below. I think i faced this with the extended partitions as well - so this is applicable to any partition where you face this error with the start sector
- once you have created all 6 partitions with exact End Sector numbers and Partition IDs, enter the fdisk expert mode (x) and here you can update the start sector back to 63 and so on ... exit the expert mode using 'r' option once done
- Ensure that the listing of the partition table is an exact match with the list below except for the Device drive letter and use the 'w' command to save the changes. So, all the start and end sectors should match and the sector size (Sectors column) should also match - the types and IDs should also match.
- Ensure you have saved all changes with the 'w' option.
- You now have a PCM3.1 partitioned disk - you can always exit fdisk and then return to double check that the listing is exactly the same - any mismatch could cause the PCM update disk to fail so double checking helps
- if all the partitions are fine, then plug the SSD back into the PCM and resume your update from the blue screen. (or re-run the entire update disk if you don't have a blue screen).
- You should now get back a fully working system except for Navi and you will have a jukebox as before (it will be empty and you have to load your audio files again)

If you were able to make clean images of the large partitions (partitions 3 and/or 6) mentioned in Option 2 -then you can restore just those partitions to the corresponding newly created partitions on the SSD before plugging the SSD back into the PCM to resume the update. If there are no errors in restoring those images, then you will likely be able to get the maps or jukebox media back as well...

----------------------------------
The Device drive letter (Ex: The 'd' in /dev/sdd in the list below) is specific on the number of disks connected to the system - so in your case this could be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc etc.. be sure to connect to the right disk before making changes!

Disk type dos

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size ID Type
/dev/sdd1 * 63 4209029 4208967 2G 4d QNX4.x
/dev/sdd2 4209030 6313544 2104515 1G 4e QNX4.x 2nd part
/dev/sdd3 6313545 109081349 102767805 49G 4f QNX4.x 3rd part
/dev/sdd4 109081350 195366464 86285115 41.1G 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 109081413 111185864 2104452 1G 50 Ontrack DM
/dev/sdd6 111185928 195366464 84180537 40.1G 51 Ontrack DM6 Aux1

NOTE: This is common information that anyone can gather from a working or partially working HDD using any disk partition tool and i got this while cloning my drive for backup - so this is open information
-----------------------------------------------------

For the earlier models of PCM3.x having an IDE/PATA HDD (40GB HDD), the drive sectors can be found in the following post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16692168
Old 07-26-2019 | 01:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Try disconnecting the amp or the battery
Old 07-27-2019 | 06:05 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Try disconnecting the amp or the battery
Disconnected the fuse and the system shut down but on putting the fuse back, got the emergency update screen again.

I suspect this is related to similar problem about prior data corruption affecting an update: https://f01.justanswer.com/heavy_che...cm_reboots.pdf

The article talks or a dbase reset file to be used before running an update - I could not find that reset file anywhere online. In my case, I ran the update disk to update from 4.52 but the update stopped while updating one of the HDD set of files because of this likely prior data corruption and left me with the emergency update screen. So any of you trying to update from a version prior to WKD95280015 (I think this disk brings one to 4.63 but not sure) to a version like 4.75/4.76 just be aware of this risk!

There are utilities on the system that one could run to correct disk/data corruption but I still am not able to find anyway of invoking those utilities.
Can PIWIS scan the PCM 3.1 system or can one get access to run commands on the PCM3.1 through PIWIS? If so i can go to a dealership to run the checks as it should be fairly simple.
Alternately, if someone has this dbase reset set of files, will be great if you can share.

The other option is to get the disk out (I think all of the software is on the hard drive space within PCM) and connect to a linux/unix system and scan the partitions for corruption - but that is more intensive - maybe will try some day when i open the unit to install one of the carplay boxes...

For now, after 2 days of tweaking, found a way to get PCM 3.1 out of the emergency update loop and almost all of the functionality is working as normal!
Old 07-28-2019 | 11:58 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Originally Posted by kari
For now, after 2 days of tweaking, found a way to get PCM 3.1 out of the emergency update loop and almost all of the functionality is working as normal!
What fixed it? Also, where did you get the update files?
Old 07-29-2019 | 07:13 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
What fixed it? Also, where did you get the update files?
I used the same update disk - copied all the files into a USB stick modified the DEF file to skip the module that was failing.
LanaK (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019 | 01:47 AM
LanaK
3rd Gear

Kari, I’d love some help with this as my PCM is stuck in an emergency update cycle (after dealer tried to update software) and I was told there is no fix other than to order a new PCM & replace the defective unit.
Old 08-01-2019 | 04:23 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by LanaK
Kari, I’d love some help with this as my PCM is stuck in an emergency update cycle (after dealer tried to update software) and I was told there is no fix other than to order a new PCM & replace the defective unit.
It depends on where the update failed. Do you have a photo of the screen where it actually fails on the update?
Do you have the update disk with you?

See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...m-message.html
Old 08-02-2019 | 01:39 AM
LanaK
3rd Gear

It depends on where the update failed. Do you have a photo of the screen where it actually fails on the update?
Do you have the update disk with you?

See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...m-message.html

I do not have the update disk as the dealership was doing the update but I’ll purchase one if need be to prevent purchasing a new unit.
Old 08-20-2019 | 12:42 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by LanaK

I do not have the update disk as the dealership was doing the update but I’ll purchase one if need be to prevent purchasing a new unit.
Did you purchase an update disk and try using it?

Last edited by lml999; 10-22-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2019 | 08:20 PM
Quan Nguyen
2nd Gear

Hi guys, I'm facing the same issue with the Emergency Update. Please help!!!

Old 08-27-2019 | 08:30 PM
Quan Nguyen
2nd Gear

Disconnected the fuse and the system shut down but on putting the fuse back, got the emergency update screen again.

I suspect this is related to similar problem about prior data corruption affecting an update: https://f01.justanswer.com/heavy_che...cm_reboots.pdf

The article talks or a dbase reset file to be used before running an update - I could not find that reset file anywhere online. In my case, I ran the update disk to update from 4.52 but the update stopped while updating one of the HDD set of files because of this likely prior data corruption and left me with the emergency update screen. So any of you trying to update from a version prior to WKD95280015 (I think this disk brings one to 4.63 but not sure) to a version like 4.75/4.76 just be aware of this risk!

There are utilities on the system that one could run to correct disk/data corruption but I still am not able to find anyway of invoking those utilities.
Can PIWIS scan the PCM 3.1 system or can one get access to run commands on the PCM3.1 through PIWIS? If so i can go to a dealership to run the checks as it should be fairly simple.
Alternately, if someone has this dbase reset set of files, will be great if you can share.

The other option is to get the disk out (I think all of the software is on the hard drive space within PCM) and connect to a linux/unix system and scan the partitions for corruption - but that is more intensive - maybe will try some day when i open the unit to install one of the carplay boxes...

Hi Kari, Would you please pose some instructions how to by pass the emergency update loop and get everything back to work? I appreciate it so much!
Old 08-28-2019 | 07:20 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quan Nguyen
Hi Kari, Would you please pose some instructions how to by pass the emergency update loop and get everything back to work? I appreciate it so much!
It depends on what has failed. As I mentioned in the earlier posts buy the PCM software update dvd (wkd95280017/16/15) and insert. It may recover completely or the emergency update may start and then fail at a certain point. Share pics of where it fails as you run the disk ..
Quan Nguen (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 04:28 PM
Quan Nguen
1st Gear

Thank you for your response Kari. I already ordered the disk WKD95280016. I''ll post some update later.
Old 02-09-2020 | 04:13 AM
gheorghe
3rd Gear

hello i have same problem after updating from 4.73 i had issues restarting unit after 4 minutes

i put dvd 4.76 after 35 minutes at the end of the update 98% i received .placeholder shut down error copying files

can someone help me with this error i can not restart unit to make it work

thank you

Old 02-09-2020 | 10:24 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by gheorghe
hello i have same problem after updating from 4.73 i had issues restarting unit after 4 minutes

i put dvd 4.76 after 35 minutes at the end of the update 98% i received .placeholder shut down error copying files

can someone help me with this error i can not restart unit to make it work

thank you
In my case the problem was corruption of the hdd filesystem and I formatted that partition and reinstalled using the dvd to recover full functionality. The DVD updates software on multiple locations. If the filesystem corrupted is on the the fpga/internal flash memory then not sure about recovery but since you mention that you came to 98% likely this is on the hdd partition. Formatting that partition will work but it's not straightforward and you will not find any readymade utilities for it..

A partial fix is to just install the earlier modules before failure point... but for that you need to confirm where the failure is.. copy the entire 4.76 DVD to a USB stick and plug in to attempt an install.. As the software attempts to install check if the files being installed are to the To the APP module or the HDD module just before it fails.. post some screenshots that show the module being updated when you get the failure..
johannaKarlsson (04-26-2020)

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop