Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:05 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Has anyone faced this issue where PCM 3.1 is stuck in an 'Emergency Update' endless loop?
Any ideas on how to reset/resolve without a trip to the dealer?

EDIT: My issue was to do with the HDD in the PCM3.1 unit and i was able to fix mine. I've summarized the options here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16522507

Last edited by kari; 04-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johannaKarlsson (04-25-2020)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Try disconnecting the amp or the battery
Old 07-27-2019, 06:05 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Try disconnecting the amp or the battery
Disconnected the fuse and the system shut down but on putting the fuse back, got the emergency update screen again.

I suspect this is related to similar problem about prior data corruption affecting an update: https://f01.justanswer.com/heavy_che...cm_reboots.pdf

The article talks or a dbase reset file to be used before running an update - I could not find that reset file anywhere online. In my case, I ran the update disk to update from 4.52 but the update stopped while updating one of the HDD set of files because of this likely prior data corruption and left me with the emergency update screen. So any of you trying to update from a version prior to WKD95280015 (I think this disk brings one to 4.63 but not sure) to a version like 4.75/4.76 just be aware of this risk!

There are utilities on the system that one could run to correct disk/data corruption but I still am not able to find anyway of invoking those utilities.
Can PIWIS scan the PCM 3.1 system or can one get access to run commands on the PCM3.1 through PIWIS? If so i can go to a dealership to run the checks as it should be fairly simple.
Alternately, if someone has this dbase reset set of files, will be great if you can share.

The other option is to get the disk out (I think all of the software is on the hard drive space within PCM) and connect to a linux/unix system and scan the partitions for corruption - but that is more intensive - maybe will try some day when i open the unit to install one of the carplay boxes...

For now, after 2 days of tweaking, found a way to get PCM 3.1 out of the emergency update loop and almost all of the functionality is working as normal!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:58 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kari
For now, after 2 days of tweaking, found a way to get PCM 3.1 out of the emergency update loop and almost all of the functionality is working as normal!
What fixed it? Also, where did you get the update files?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:13 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
What fixed it? Also, where did you get the update files?
I used the same update disk - copied all the files into a USB stick modified the DEF file to skip the module that was failing.
LanaK (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 AM
LanaK
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kari, I’d love some help with this as my PCM is stuck in an emergency update cycle (after dealer tried to update software) and I was told there is no fix other than to order a new PCM & replace the defective unit.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:23 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by LanaK
Kari, I’d love some help with this as my PCM is stuck in an emergency update cycle (after dealer tried to update software) and I was told there is no fix other than to order a new PCM & replace the defective unit.
It depends on where the update failed. Do you have a photo of the screen where it actually fails on the update?
Do you have the update disk with you?

See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...m-message.html
Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 AM
LanaK
3rd Gear

It depends on where the update failed. Do you have a photo of the screen where it actually fails on the update?
Do you have the update disk with you?

See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...m-message.html

I do not have the update disk as the dealership was doing the update but I’ll purchase one if need be to prevent purchasing a new unit.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:42 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by LanaK

I do not have the update disk as the dealership was doing the update but I’ll purchase one if need be to prevent purchasing a new unit.
Did you purchase an update disk and try using it?

Last edited by lml999; 10-22-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 PM
Quan Nguyen
2nd Gear

Hi guys, I'm facing the same issue with the Emergency Update. Please help!!!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Quan Nguyen
2nd Gear

Disconnected the fuse and the system shut down but on putting the fuse back, got the emergency update screen again.

I suspect this is related to similar problem about prior data corruption affecting an update: https://f01.justanswer.com/heavy_che...cm_reboots.pdf

The article talks or a dbase reset file to be used before running an update - I could not find that reset file anywhere online. In my case, I ran the update disk to update from 4.52 but the update stopped while updating one of the HDD set of files because of this likely prior data corruption and left me with the emergency update screen. So any of you trying to update from a version prior to WKD95280015 (I think this disk brings one to 4.63 but not sure) to a version like 4.75/4.76 just be aware of this risk!

There are utilities on the system that one could run to correct disk/data corruption but I still am not able to find anyway of invoking those utilities.
Can PIWIS scan the PCM 3.1 system or can one get access to run commands on the PCM3.1 through PIWIS? If so i can go to a dealership to run the checks as it should be fairly simple.
Alternately, if someone has this dbase reset set of files, will be great if you can share.

The other option is to get the disk out (I think all of the software is on the hard drive space within PCM) and connect to a linux/unix system and scan the partitions for corruption - but that is more intensive - maybe will try some day when i open the unit to install one of the carplay boxes...

Hi Kari, Would you please pose some instructions how to by pass the emergency update loop and get everything back to work? I appreciate it so much!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:20 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quan Nguyen
Hi Kari, Would you please pose some instructions how to by pass the emergency update loop and get everything back to work? I appreciate it so much!
It depends on what has failed. As I mentioned in the earlier posts buy the PCM software update dvd (wkd95280017/16/15) and insert. It may recover completely or the emergency update may start and then fail at a certain point. Share pics of where it fails as you run the disk ..
Quan Nguen (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Quan Nguen
1st Gear

Thank you for your response Kari. I already ordered the disk WKD95280016. I''ll post some update later.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:13 AM
gheorghe
3rd Gear

hello i have same problem after updating from 4.73 i had issues restarting unit after 4 minutes

i put dvd 4.76 after 35 minutes at the end of the update 98% i received .placeholder shut down error copying files

can someone help me with this error i can not restart unit to make it work

thank you

Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by gheorghe
hello i have same problem after updating from 4.73 i had issues restarting unit after 4 minutes

i put dvd 4.76 after 35 minutes at the end of the update 98% i received .placeholder shut down error copying files

can someone help me with this error i can not restart unit to make it work

thank you
In my case the problem was corruption of the hdd filesystem and I formatted that partition and reinstalled using the dvd to recover full functionality. The DVD updates software on multiple locations. If the filesystem corrupted is on the the fpga/internal flash memory then not sure about recovery but since you mention that you came to 98% likely this is on the hdd partition. Formatting that partition will work but it's not straightforward and you will not find any readymade utilities for it..

A partial fix is to just install the earlier modules before failure point... but for that you need to confirm where the failure is.. copy the entire 4.76 DVD to a USB stick and plug in to attempt an install.. As the software attempts to install check if the files being installed are to the To the APP module or the HDD module just before it fails.. post some screenshots that show the module being updated when you get the failure..
johannaKarlsson (04-26-2020)

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop