Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 05:58 PM
achoo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
From my understanding I don't think you can put in a black hard drive and have the PCM format it, needs to be done prior. I might be wrong though but I don't think I have heard of anyone doing that and it working.

does that mean the new disk needs prior cloning before you can put it in the PCM ?
Old 12-07-2022, 08:28 PM
M32323
2nd Gear

Default Stuck in loop after change to ssd

Hi,

first i haved problem of reboot so i clone to an SSD my faulty drive with the offline clone device

appear the 25% first part hev bad sector but not the 75% last

after that the reboot always there so i try to update to 4.76 with the iso on this thread ( my pcm was previously at 4.76 before the problem

update stop at 98% (picture in attachement)

@kari do you have any idea what i can try for the next step

thanks you

Old 12-07-2022, 11:37 PM
M32323
2nd Gear

UPDATE

So i try to remake the 4E Partition and the update DVD complete to 100%

No more reboot loop
The only thing dont work are the GPS but i dont mind

Old 12-08-2022, 06:04 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by M32323
UPDATE

So i try to remake the 4E Partition and the update DVD complete to 100%

No more reboot loop
The only thing dont work are the GPS but i dont mind
The dealership can re-enable the navigation but there will be a cost as a new license is required
Old 12-19-2022, 04:52 PM
Nimets
2nd Gear

Im having the same issue as @achoo where I just have Porsche logo show up then goes right to emergency update with "device" listed as PCM31 with no further information. I drove the car the night before with no issues and when I went to drive the car the following morning this happened. When I use a USB or disc with the update software it just say "no SW medium". I removed the Hard drive and cloned the drive to an SSD which was successful. Still have the same issue. Is anybody familiar with this? is this something i will be able to fix? Funny enough is when i turn the car on without the hard drive i get the exact same messages which leads me to believe that it is not the hard drive at all and something completely different.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:16 AM
keyrun
1st Gear

Default PORSCHE Panamera 2014 PCM stuck in emergency update mode

[QUOTE=johannaKarlsson;16578909]
Hello There, I am new to this forum and just registered.
Need of desperate help to fix the issue with my PCM. I inserted a update and disk and after all the process. It go stuck in this position and does not move any further.
This is where I am getting stuck and cannot move forward. Please advice what can be done. Thanks a million in advice.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Saxmanuk
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kari
Continuing from the my previous post above and another post I made in the HDD to SSD clone thread, this information is for those of you trying to resolve the problem of a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting PCM3.1 due to a faulty HDD (A common scenario for the blue emergency screen is running the update disk when the PCM3.1 HDD has known or unknown faults (bad sectors/partition corruption..) or an inability to run the update disk once you get into the blue screen for some other reason that is subsequently fixed..)

NOTE: you could get a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting system for other reasons as well (faulty board or internal PCM system memory, loose connectors etc..) and this post does not cover those aspects - only a faulty HDD which seems to be a more frequent occurrence..

What you will need:
1. The PCM3.1 update disk WKD95280017/16/15 (check out post 25 in thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...l#post16428326 for an iso image)
- It does not matter what your current 4.xx sub-version is, the one ending with 17 takes you to 4.76/ one ending in 16 takes you to 4.75 and others to earlier versions
2. A replacement SATA HDD or SSD (minimum 100GB HDD or 120GB SSD 2.5 inch 'laptop size') [Note: Early PCM3.x systems use a PATA/IDE 40GB HDD - while process is similar the actual partition details were shared by thigobr - link to that post is at the end]
- The recommended drives are industrial/automotive SSDs/HDDs especially if you are in regions with extremes of climate (These disks have SMART capability with better min/max operating temps - Say, a HDD/SSD does not support extreme cold, it may not operate effectively till the vehicle warms up or shut down suddenly if it gets too cold ...industrial/automotive drives support a wider range of operating temperatures. However, those are expensive or difficult to find - check the specs of the disks you buy.
- I went with a regular Kingston A400 120GB for now and others have used PNY.. I think any SATA HDD/SDD of any size more than 100GB will likely work. But note that based on what I know so far adding more SSD space does not equate to more jukebox space.. more space will only provide some more redundancy for the SSD (extends SSD usability in the really long term.... hence the recommendation to go for a min of 120GB SSD - 240 or more would be overkill in my view)
3. Clonezilla or another disk cloning and partitioning tool
- I used Clonezilla (Thanks to Jslo's post on the SSD thread) I chose it because it is free and does not have to be installed on a computer - one can just make a Clonezilla bootable USB or CD/DVD and use it.. others may prefer another disk cloning tool but some of the steps here are not about cloning but about partitioning a new disk..
- the other benefit is that Clonezilla has fdisk built in and that can be used for partitioning (option 3)...so secure a tool you are comfortable with that allows you to build partitions in case cloning fails

What are the options in my view:
1) If you do not have a replacement HDD/SSD handy, Post #21 in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16510863) works and will get you out of the blue screen but the HDD remains faulty. Depending on where the HDD fault lies, your system may still continue to reboot/behave sluggishly or crash during specific operations but you may be lucky like me and regain the functionality you need atleast for the immediate future (If you do not continue to face the rebooting issue, you will most likely have a working Radio and CD player. Other audio options may work too but there could be problems with one or more of : navigating the PCM screens, Navigation/maps, cameras/park assist and Jukebox.)

2) Clone your HDD to SSD or another HDD - If you are not able to use Clonezilla, explore other options like shipping the faulty HDD to an expert to make a good clone or try other cloning software. If you want to restore your existing maps/navigation data or jukebox media, an error free clone of the disk or at least the 2 large partitions on the disk is essential (See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/1166469-upgraded-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-to-ssd.html and there is a complete discussion on this topic. )
Some tips:
a. Use sector-to-sector i.e dd method to create your new disk. This is a good way to get back to fully working navigation and also get back any media on your jukebox. You can use Clonezilla or another cloning tool but you need to do a disk-disk clone with the sector-to-sector option...
b. if your HDD has more significant damage and a disk-disk clone fails, try to make local images of the individual partitions on the disk using partition-to-image, especially the 2 large partitions which I think are for your maps and jukebox media. If there are no errors in taking images of these 2 large partitions, then they can be potentially used later ..see next option (option 3)
c. Any error during the image or restore process on the 2 large partitions would mean that those partitions have issues (or the cloning process failed) and you may not be able to get back navigation or the audio files you have in the jukebox depending on the partition with the error. The smaller partitions are restored by the PCM3.1update disk, so i wouldn't worry about those too much in this situation. Any navigation/chrono and other licenses are the same as before - you won't lose them but you lose the data (so if you had navigation and during cloning, the maps partition cannot be restored properly, there will be no map files for the system to use; if the jukebox partition has errors you may not be able to get the songs or other audio files you had previously loaded into the jukebox..) In this case, till you find a way to recover those partitions, a good option to get a working system is the same as described in Option 3 below.

3) If your current HDD is completely dead or has extensive damage and any attempt at cloning the entire disk without errors fails, then the next set of steps will get you back to a fully functional system with an empty jukebox (if you had one) but there will be no Maps/Navi. This option is better than requesting copies of someone else's disk drive (from the posts I've seen so far this does not bring back maps anyway - I have no idea if maps are locked to a vin or not but even if they are not, the version of the maps on the disk has to be compatible with the license key coded in the PCM..otherwise the maps wont work anyway...) - so this will get you going if you do not plan to restore the Navi or atleast for the short term till as you explore other options to recover your map data or jukebox files (for cases where the map/jukebox partitions can be cloned separately but the other partitions are faulty causing a full HDD clone to fail)
- NOTE: There will be a 'loading navi' message instead when you try to view maps but everything else you had earlier should work - Based on my current understanding, if you wants the maps working, a trip to to the dealer to reload the map files (mainly labor to run a set of DVDs they have for the specific version of the maps one is licensed for) should be sufficient or you can buy a new key and have the latest maps installed. (the dealer may actually recommend this unless you already had the latest map updates before HDD failure)

Steps to recreate the partition table/map in cases of a badly damaged HDD which still responds to Clonezilla commands:
If you are comfortable with Clonezilla, you can follow the steps in this post from @thewilde to just copy the partition map/table over rather than manually building the partitions: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16874136
Just be careful - running the commands using the wrong disk identifiers can mess up your computer or other disks!

Steps to setup partitions on a new SSD/HDD using Clonezilla if the old HDD is completely toast:
- Review the list of fdisk options on the net: you can use this link or any other one to understand fdisk commands: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/f...tions-in-linux
- Connect your new SSD or HDD to your PC/laptop (you can use a SATA - USB connector or a SATA USB external drive enclosure) and boot with Clonezilla (USB or CD/DVD) -
- Choose the option to get to the command prompt and type sudo fdisk /dev/sd<drive letter> . The drive letter identifies the specific disk. WARNING: Be sure to connect to the correct SSD/HDD - you can easily corrupt your laptop/desktop if you were to accidentally connect to that drive instead - so make sure of the drive letter.
- delete all partitions on your replacement HDD/ SSD (you will lose all data - so be doubly sure that you are using fdisk on the right disk) and then
- use the 'o' option in fdisk to create a new blank partition table for 'dos'
- Then create new partitions 1-6 on the SSD using the 'n' option and each time enter the start and end sector numbers below. also set the partition ID as you create the partition using the 't' option (4d, 4e, 4f...). You will likely have issues entering some start numbers (ex: when i tried to create the first partition with sector 63 it did not allow that and forced a default of 2048 - continue with default of 2048 in such a case but ensure that the end sector matches with the list below. I think i faced this with the extended partitions as well - so this is applicable to any partition where you face this error with the start sector
- once you have created all 6 partitions with exact End Sector numbers and Partition IDs, enter the fdisk expert mode (x) and here you can update the start sector back to 63 and so on ... exit the expert mode using 'r' option once done
- Ensure that the listing of the partition table is an exact match with the list below except for the Device drive letter and use the 'w' command to save the changes. So, all the start and end sectors should match and the sector size (Sectors column) should also match - the types and IDs should also match.
- Ensure you have saved all changes with the 'w' option.
- You now have a PCM3.1 partitioned disk - you can always exit fdisk and then return to double check that the listing is exactly the same - any mismatch could cause the PCM update disk to fail so double checking helps
- if all the partitions are fine, then plug the SSD back into the PCM and resume your update from the blue screen. (or re-run the entire update disk if you don't have a blue screen).
- You should now get back a fully working system except for Navi and you will have a jukebox as before (it will be empty and you have to load your audio files again)

If you were able to make clean images of the large partitions (partitions 3 and/or 6) mentioned in Option 2 -then you can restore just those partitions to the corresponding newly created partitions on the SSD before plugging the SSD back into the PCM to resume the update. If there are no errors in restoring those images, then you will likely be able to get the maps or jukebox media back as well...

----------------------------------
The Device drive letter (Ex: The 'd' in /dev/sdd in the list below) is specific on the number of disks connected to the system - so in your case this could be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc etc.. be sure to connect to the right disk before making changes!

Disk type dos

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size ID Type
/dev/sdd1 * 63 4209029 4208967 2G 4d QNX4.x
/dev/sdd2 4209030 6313544 2104515 1G 4e QNX4.x 2nd part
/dev/sdd3 6313545 109081349 102767805 49G 4f QNX4.x 3rd part
/dev/sdd4 109081350 195366464 86285115 41.1G 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 109081413 111185864 2104452 1G 50 Ontrack DM
/dev/sdd6 111185928 195366464 84180537 40.1G 51 Ontrack DM6 Aux1

NOTE: This is common information that anyone can gather from a working or partially working HDD using any disk partition tool and i got this while cloning my drive for backup - so this is open information
-----------------------------------------------------

For the earlier models of PCM3.x having an IDE/PATA HDD (40GB HDD), the drive sectors can be found in the following post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16692168
So I had the rebooting PCM 3.1 in my 2014 981 - it was rebooting after the car had been garaged for about 2 weeks this winter..It seemed to reboot every 4-5 mins or so - I tried the 4.76 DVD and kept getting the 98% error of copying files that many people in here have!

I googled and found this forum and thread

My story is that I read as much as I could and then proceeded to remove my PCM 3.1 ( I have already fitted an ISUDAR carplay module so i knew how to remove the PCM)
I removed the HDD from the top of the PCM and plugged into my docking station - nothing happened and i could not see the HDD at all - so I opened my computer and plugged it into a free sata cable in my PC
I bought EaseUS partition master for approx £9.99 and it found the disk - however being that the HDD is mostly in ( i believe ) a UNIX file system or QNX very little can be done in a windows 10 software.

I bought a SSD from Amazon and proceeded to clone the disk - it became clear after about 4 hours of trying that the old HDD had serious issues in the 1st and 2nd partitions ( you can read about the partitions above) and the HDD had bad sectors (not logical but physical ) and the HDD was making the skipping sounds and clicking ! i.e. it was fooked !

So I gave up on EaseUS and loaded up Clonezilla from USB and proceeded to follow the steps above - ** please read the link on FDISK 1st as Kari suggests ! **

The only step I would add is always always check you are on the right HDD as Clonezilla can and did with me change letters! ffs! yes **** I lost my windows 10 install and had to rebuild my PC*****

Always start with Sudo Fdisk - L and read carefully which HDD you are partitioning !
So because I knew that only the 1st two partitions on my old HDD were knackered I only actually created the 1st two partitions on the NEW SSD as described above - It was a bit daunting but literally read word for word and line by line and it works
I then came out of clonezilla and booted into windows - I then used EaseUS partition manager to clone the remaining 4 partitions one by one over to the new SSD - I figured that I wanted to keep the NAV files in the larger partitions
So after this had finished the moment of truth - I loaded the SSD into the PCM and put in the DVD 4.76 disk and the it loaded in the emergency mode past the 98% and finished just fine! yay
I then loaded the DVD again and let it do a normal software update (not emergency mode) and the software version came back into the display
I then crossed my fingers and pressed the maps and nav buttons...... nothing at 1st ! until after about 15 seconds they all loaded back in and worked

After 2 whole days of careful working out the correct way I now have a hopefully cured and healthy SSD PCM3.1

thanks all !

Old 03-11-2023, 09:08 PM
DocSean
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posting here as a long shot:

About 3 weeks ago my macan went into this boot loop cycle. It couldn't make it beyond the porsche logo screen and would restart every 35-40 seconds or so. I was able to do a soft reset and that worked for about a week. After that, soft resets no longer fixed it and I had to just pull the fuse to get out of the loop.

I had suspicion it was a bad hard disk, so a fellow forum member was kind enough to mail me a known clone of his working disk. I popped it in and low and behold it worked, no reboot. I then went to clone my original and it cloned with zero issue...peculiar I thought. Well, as soon as I went back to the car to check it was working I was back in boot loop. Seems like about once out of every 30 times the system resets it will start up normal.

I thought I would upgrade to 4.76 and was able to get the isu burned to a disc, I got lucky and the system booted up and I inserted the disc, followed the prompts, the firet thing the pcm uodwte did was "reset pcm" which put it right BSc into its boot loop.

I cannot get the system to stay on long enough to even read to DVD so I'm a bit lost. Anyone experienced this?
Old 04-14-2023, 12:34 PM
BrianMJ
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,
I bought an Isudar Apple CarPlay kit and asked a costume shop to install it. During the installation, the repair shop said my "radio is dead and doesn't power on anymore." They told me the radio turned on for 3 seconds after installation and, during testing, was stuck on the Porsche logo, but it powered down with a popping sound and didn't power on again.
They sent it to a certified radio repair shop (United Radios), and the repair shop said the Isudar kit had caused this (below photo is a screenshot of their report). They changed the power IC and charged me ~$600, and I think I still need to pay more for enabling codes (probably ~$700 more ), etc.
I connected with Isudar (Kimi), and they do not take any responsibility, saying that their module would not cause this.
I wanted to know if anyone here has a similar experience, who you think is responsible, and what you would suggest I do.
I'm desperate for help here.
Thanks!

Old 05-17-2023, 08:32 PM
IvanTyanev
5th Gear

Originally Posted by johannaKarlsson
I was trying to Update PCM Because when I startet the car for the first time after the WInter It popt up a notification that navigating wanted to make a new map upload . Which I ignored...

after a while then the PCM started to go on an off all the time.

every Funktion like navi,Radio,blotooth music ... did work good ! Even that PCM went on and off EVERY 3min

Some days blotooth, phon, iPad, jockbox didn’t work..... only radio ,disc, aux, navi and camera worked ok , and PCM was still going ON /OFF EVERY 3min

someone said that I need to do updates and gave me the DVD PCM 3.1 Multimedia Update Disc 911 Boxter Cayman Cayenne Panamera from 06.2013 ...

but my car was 2014 with PCM 3.1 v4.73. 😰

the "updating" with the old update did go through! 🥶

an direkt auf der Web cam die notification 😈 Emergency update😈

On another forum they told me I need DVD PCM 3.1 V4.76 ... Which I also did

now when I try to update the DVD PCM 3.1 V4.76 ... I get the ERROR COPYING FILES notification DIRECT AT. PLACEHOLDER

I will post also the pictures of the 3 DVDs from old version and the the one from PCM 3.1 V4.76

This cd is From 2013 and my car is from 2014 wich did have pcm 3.1 V4.73 After upload came Emergency Update

This is are the first cd wich after the upload caused the Emergency Update

do you have the update cds and are you willing to sell? Can’t seem to locate these anywhere and need to update my pcm
Old 05-17-2023, 08:35 PM
IvanTyanev
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DocSean
Posting here as a long shot:

About 3 weeks ago my macan went into this boot loop cycle. It couldn't make it beyond the porsche logo screen and would restart every 35-40 seconds or so. I was able to do a soft reset and that worked for about a week. After that, soft resets no longer fixed it and I had to just pull the fuse to get out of the loop.

I had suspicion it was a bad hard disk, so a fellow forum member was kind enough to mail me a known clone of his working disk. I popped it in and low and behold it worked, no reboot. I then went to clone my original and it cloned with zero issue...peculiar I thought. Well, as soon as I went back to the car to check it was working I was back in boot loop. Seems like about once out of every 30 times the system resets it will start up normal.

I thought I would upgrade to 4.76 and was able to get the isu burned to a disc, I got lucky and the system booted up and I inserted the disc, followed the prompts, the firet thing the pcm uodwte did was "reset pcm" which put it right BSc into its boot loop.

I cannot get the system to stay on long enough to even read to DVD so I'm a bit lost. Anyone experienced this?

how did you get your hands on the dvd to update your pcm? I’m in need of one. I cloned my SSD to what I thought was a successful job. Worked fine for about 5 mins and started rebooting again
Old 05-17-2023, 09:14 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by IvanTyanev
how did you get your hands on the dvd to update your pcm? I’m in need of one. I cloned my SSD to what I thought was a successful job. Worked fine for about 5 mins and started rebooting again
Sounds like you have bad sectors on your original hard drive which have been cloned over to the new hard drive. Was the PCM working prior to the SSD or was the SSD an attempt to fix a rebooting issue?
Old 05-17-2023, 09:19 PM
IvanTyanev
5th Gear

Sounds like you have bad sectors on your original hard drive which have been cloned over to the new hard drive. Was the PCM working prior to the SSD or was the SSD an attempt to fix a rebooting issue?
the SSD was an attempt to fix a rebooting issue. I’m assuming next step would be to get my hands on a file that hasn’t been corrupted ?
Old 05-17-2023, 09:28 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by IvanTyanev
the SSD was an attempt to fix a rebooting issue. I’m assuming next step would be to get my hands on a file that hasn’t been corrupted ?
Yes correct. Shoot me a PM
Old 05-17-2023, 09:45 PM
IvanTyanev
5th Gear

Yes correct. Shoot me a PM

pm sent

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop