Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023 | 04:38 PM
GOLDSACK
3rd Gear

Default Can you email me the steps of getting it out of Pcm loop.

Most appreciated....
Greggoldsack@gmail.com
Old 10-06-2023 | 09:35 AM
Dimitris76
6th Gear

Hi guys!
I am the new owner of a 991.1S MY2012.
As soon as I took the car home I noticed NAVI/MAPS were stuck at "Maps Loading..." My phone (Samsung S22) was connecting for Calls and Audio, but neither phone calls or streamed music was coming out at speakers. Radio was working fine, CD/DVD not tested and I was on software v3.20. The update History was blank too.

So what did I do? I downloaded the infamous Software Update (08/2015) .iso, burned it on a DVD. Sure enough it ended up with an Emergency Update that got stuck again and again at Device: PCMS01XX0919, Module: .placeholder. that got out off by copying the DVD files to a USB-stick and removing lines UPDATE PCM31HDD and UPDATE PCM31CFG according to Kari's instructions in post #21 (September 26th, 2023).

THANK YOU KARI !!!

Next step was to remove the HDD (Toshiba 40GB IDE) and clone it with AOMEI Partition Assistant to new 128GB SSD (a Trancend mSATA SSD in an IDE to mSATA adapter). I put it back in the car and boom! I had my MAPS again on the screen, For only a few minutes cause after a while (I don't remember if I have turned the car off/on) the maps disappeared again.
This time I had working Bluetooth for phone calls but still no music when streaming from the phone.
So I put the update DVD back in, it gets stuck again in an Emergency Update loop and I get out of it once again with the modified USB stick's help (yesterday October 5th, 2023).

So now I have:
-Working FM/AM Radio
-Bluetooth ONLY for phone calls
-No Bluetooth Audio (even though it connects for "calls and audio" according to phone screen),
-CDs are read, loading but not playing back (no track list - everything remains greyed out)
-No NAVI
-No MAPS

and the following messages at Current System page:

PCM31APP Status INVALID
PCM31IOC Status INVALID

The PCM31HDD and PCM31CFG lines that I erased are being shown as VALID...
And on Update history I get two different messages:

HDDCHECK0114181A on first update try 26th September
PCM31HDD0114181A on 2nd update yesterday

So what do I do know?
Should I run the modified USB-stick once again and hope PCM31APP and PCM31IOC gets updated and show VALID?

Last edited by Dimitris76; 10-07-2023 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2023 | 09:56 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Your original hard drive probably has some bad sectors that its copied across to your new drive.

Most likely time for a drive with a clean image on it
Old 10-06-2023 | 11:41 AM
Dimitris76
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dan_189
Your original hard drive probably has some bad sectors that its copied across to your new drive.

Most likely time for a drive with a clean image on it
I hear you - HDD drive module shows valid though...
And I got maps on the screen for a about half an hour - how is this possible if I have had bad sectors copied over to SSD?

Do you guys know what those PCM31APP och PCM31IOC modules are?
I believe Kari mentioned some time ago, that all small partitions would be rebuilt by running the Update Software (from DVD or USB) and only the large ones contain unique mapdata that are keyed to the car.

Last edited by Dimitris76; 10-06-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2023 | 04:10 PM
Dimitris76
6th Gear

SUCCESS!!!

I had a look at the update order of the various files in the DVD's .def file and realized that thing keeps getting stuck in Partition 2 (4E).
So ​​​​​​I pulled out the SSD again formated that particular partition with DiskGenius - left partition 1 (4D) and 3 (4F) as it is. Keep in mind I have PCM 3.1 with 40GB IDE drive and 3 Primary partitions instead of 6.

Put it back in and BINGO!
I am on software v3.43 and have working
FM/AM Radio
BT handsfree
BT Audio
CD
NAVI
MAPS
everything works the way it's supposed to.

Once again MANY MANY THANKS TO KARI and johannaKarlsson that posted Kari's instructions on post #75!

Last edited by Dimitris76; 10-07-2023 at 04:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
clipper (12-09-2023)
Old 10-06-2023 | 06:14 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Nice work!
Old 12-27-2023 | 06:15 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Hello all, im suffering the same fate.
Attempted to update to 4.76 from 4.73 and am stuck in emergency update loop.
The error is always the same though, "clean_up_hdd" module at the end of the process.
I've tried to edit the HBUPDATE.def file to remove references to it and created a new iso that I've burned to DVD, but it still fails on the same step. I can hear the HDD "clicking" trying to run this script. Confused why it is still referenced even though I've removed it (and checked the iso manually to confirm).
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Stuart
Old 12-27-2023 | 07:44 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Ok, next I made a new ISO and edited all files "clean_up_hdd" and commented out all the delete commands. Now after trying that, it's stuck on .placeholder as many others are. I will source another SSD and attempt to fix+clone the disc and report back. I'll also be buying an apple carplay/android auto motherboard and will fit that to the PCM at the same time (after I've fixed this boot issue).
Old 12-28-2023 | 10:45 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuartb
Ok, next I made a new ISO and edited all files "clean_up_hdd" and commented out all the delete commands. Now after trying that, it's stuck on .placeholder as many others are. I will source another SSD and attempt to fix+clone the disc and report back. I'll also be buying an apple carplay/android auto motherboard and will fit that to the PCM at the same time (after I've fixed this boot issue).
A Clone might work but i suspect partition corruption in your case and corruption won't be fixed by cloning. You may be better off creating the partitions manually on the new ssd from scratch and only copying the last 2 large partitions for maps and media over..
Old 12-28-2023 | 11:04 AM
stuartb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kari
A Clone might work but i suspect partition corruption in your case and corruption won't be fixed by cloning. You may be better off creating the partitions manually on the new ssd from scratch and only copying the last 2 large partitions for maps and media over..
Ok, appreciate the input. Has anyone tried the usual Linux tools for this flavour of embedded OS? Such as chkdsk etc? Recreating the partitions seems like the nuclear option. I suppose it's non-destructive if the other 2 partitions are maintained.
Old 01-28-2024 | 12:21 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

I’m now dealing with this on a 2014 Cayenne

After reading through this I’m thinking that because of the labor rates and trouble shooting time at the dealer that I may be better off just buying a replacement unit.

Computers are not an area of expertise for me and my system will only occasional pop on in car play mode.

The emergency mode screen was the first to pop up and now I had the following screens pop up.

This all started happening without any prompting from me.

Is there any service that I can send just the headunit too for a fix?

I wish Porsche would sell an updated “classic” unit like they’ve done for the 996 / 986.

The bummer is that the replacement units from Suncoast state that XM will no longer be operational.

Does anyone have any experience with that and is there a workaround other than playing XM from app on phone?

Last edited by eddieb4; 01-28-2024 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:58 AM
RobandyUK
AutoX

Hi
Can anyone help me as I'm pulling my hair our with my PCM
My PCM was rebooting every 3 mins and no sat nav so i removed the HD and cloned it with a offline 2 bay cloning machine ( clonezilla would not work)
I put the drive back in and not allot changed still reboots etc not have no sound on hands free and lost USB and jukebox
I decided to try update the system to the latest from an iso i found in another thread.
it got nearly all the way then rebooted and went in to emergency recovery mode.
this gets nearly all the way then on .placeholder after its copied all the WAV files it fails with error copying files then reboots and back to where i started
any help would be really appreciated
Old 03-22-2024 | 02:58 PM
RobandyUK
AutoX

Originally Posted by RobandyUK
Hi
Can anyone help me as I'm pulling my hair our with my PCM
My PCM was rebooting every 3 mins and no sat nav so i removed the HD and cloned it with a offline 2 bay cloning machine ( clonezilla would not work)
I put the drive back in and not allot changed still reboots etc not have no sound on hands free and lost USB and jukebox
I decided to try update the system to the latest from an iso i found in another thread.
it got nearly all the way then rebooted and went in to emergency recovery mode.
this gets nearly all the way then on .placeholder after its copied all the WAV files it fails with error copying files then reboots and back to where i started
any help would be really appreciated
Quick Update
Thanks to post 28ish I am now out the boot loop put fails every time if i run the update on pcms02xx1221 .placeholder
if i remove the HDupdate and config lines as per post28 it completes but is still on 4.63 and reboots every 3 mins
tried swapping the HD with a cloned one still the same

any help or advice would be great, also unit is getting very hot where the drive sits is this natural

Thanks
Old 03-23-2024 | 06:12 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobandyUK
Quick Update
Thanks to post 28ish I am now out the boot loop put fails every time if i run the update on pcms02xx1221 .placeholder
if i remove the HDupdate and config lines as per post28 it completes but is still on 4.63 and reboots every 3 mins
tried swapping the HD with a cloned one still the same

any help or advice would be great, also unit is getting very hot where the drive sits is this natural

Thanks
Feels like a corrupt partition.. cloning wont help... Get a brand new ssd (dont reuse your current one ) and build the partition table from scratch - option 3 in post 24 that i made a while ago lists steps to create the partitions using clonezilla but you can use other tools too.. then plug the ssd in and run the update disk..hth..
Old 03-25-2024 | 06:03 PM
RobandyUK
AutoX

Originally Posted by kari
Feels like a corrupt partition.. cloning wont help... Get a brand new ssd (dont reuse your current one ) and build the partition table from scratch - option 3 in post 24 that i made a while ago lists steps to create the partitions using clonezilla but you can use other tools too.. then plug the ssd in and run the update disk..hth..
Thanks i did try that as well but got the same error at the same point in the upgrade, the always get the boot loop. luckily i kept the usb update with the 2 lines missing in the config so i can get back to the pcm booting up.
if a partion was bad or locked would the clonezila export of partion tables transfer a fault to the new drive ??

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop