Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020 | 08:03 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so good news for those that have an IDE/PATA drive the Zehino brand IDE SSD works!! Thanks to @kari for the link to the BMW thread that suggested it.

I actually successfully cloned the drive and ran the update DVD and it put my PCM into emergency loop! Seems the DVD was damaged or scratched - so I ripped the DVD to USB and ran the emergency update and it worked. I have had a very nervous hour sorting it out but luckily I now have the latest software (for my series 2.41 to 2.47) and a IDE SSD! Which actually loads faster.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

One last question, why is emergency mode in French?!
Old 05-13-2020 | 04:34 PM
kari
Instructor

Your persistence finally paid off !

If you do get a chance, pls post the partition details by running the sudo fdisk -l command in Clonezilla with your working backup HDD/SSD - may help others with a PATA/IDE HDD to recreate an HDD/SSD from scratch in case of full HDD failure and then have the maps reinstalled. The output for the SATA disk is in one of my earlier posts on this thread.

As for the question on why French, I never thought of that earlier. Hmm..my guess - many Canadian companies create content in bilingual English/French and the base OS for this system is QNX - a Blackberry company....
Old 05-13-2020 | 10:38 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Yes sure I'll post the sizes.

From memory it's 3 partitions:

1gb
2.1gb
36gb

QNX being French that makes sense. Anyone looked into modifying the QNX system to run Google maps?? Wonder if there is a QNX version??
Old 05-26-2020 | 08:13 PM
s4lem0nsen
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kari
Continuing from the my previous post above and another post I made in the HDD to SSD clone thread, this information is for those of you trying to resolve the problem of a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting PCM3.1 due to a faulty HDD (A common scenario for the blue emergency screen is running the update disk when the PCM3.1 HDD has known or unknown faults (bad sectors/partition corruption..) or an inability to run the update disk once you get into the blue screen for some other reason that is subsequently fixed..)

NOTE: you could get a blue emergency update screen or a constantly restarting system for other reasons as well (faulty board or internal PCM system memory, loose connectors etc..) and this post does not cover those aspects - only a faulty HDD which seems to be a more frequent occurrence..

What you will need:
1. The PCM3.1 update disk WKD95280017/16/15 (check out post 25 in thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...l#post16428326 for an iso image)
- It does not matter what your current 4.xx sub-version is, the one ending with 17 takes you to 4.76/ one ending in 16 takes you to 4.75 and others to earlier versions
2. A replacement SATA HDD or SSD (minimum 100GB HDD or 120GB SSD 2.5 inch 'laptop size') [Note: Early PCM3.x systems I think use PATA disks of a different capacity - while process is similar the actual partition details are likely different and this post does not cover those systems..]
- The recommended drives are industrial/automotive SSDs/HDDs especially if you are in regions with extremes of climate (These disks have SMART capability with better min/max operating temps - Say, a HDD/SSD does not support extreme cold, it may not operate effectively till the vehicle warms up or shut down suddenly if it gets too cold ...industrial/automotive drives support a wider range of operating temperatures. However, those are expensive or difficult to find - check the specs of the disks you buy.
- I went with a regular Kingston A400 120GB for now and others have used PNY.. I think any SATA HDD/SDD of any size more than 100GB will likely work. But note that based on what I know so far adding more SSD space does not equate to more jukebox space.. more space will only provide some more redundancy for the SSD (extends SSD usability in the really long term.... hence the recommendation to go for a min of 120GB SSD - 240 or more would be overkill in my view)
3. Clonezilla or another disk cloning and partitioning tool
- I used Clonezilla (Thanks to Jslo's post on the SSD thread) I chose it because it is free and does not have to be installed on a computer - one can just make a Clonezilla bootable USB or CD/DVD and use it.. others may prefer another disk cloning tool but some of the steps here are not about cloning but about partitioning a new disk..
- the other benefit is that Clonezilla has fdisk built in and that can be used for partitioning (option 3)...so secure a tool you are comfortable with that allows you to build partitions in case cloning fails

What are the options in my view:
1) If you do not have a replacement HDD/SSD handy, Post #21 in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16510863) works and will get you out of the blue screen but the HDD remains faulty. Depending on where the HDD fault lies, your system may still continue to reboot/behave sluggishly or crash during specific operations but you may be lucky like me and regain the functionality you need atleast for the immediate future (If you do not continue to face the rebooting issue, you will most likely have a working Radio and CD player. Other audio options may work too but there could be problems with one or more of : navigating the PCM screens, Navigation/maps, cameras/park assist and Jukebox.)

2) Clone your HDD to SSD or another HDD - If you are not able to use Clonezilla, explore other options like shipping the faulty HDD to an expert to make a good clone or try other cloning software. If you want to restore your existing maps/navigation data or jukebox media, an error free clone of the disk or at least the 2 large partitions on the disk is essential (See thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/1166469-upgraded-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-to-ssd.html and there is a complete discussion on this topic. )
Some tips:
a. Use sector-to-sector i.e dd method to create your new disk. This is a good way to get back to fully working navigation and also get back any media on your jukebox. You can use Clonezilla or another cloning tool but you need to do a disk-disk clone with the sector-to-sector option...
b. if your HDD has more significant damage and a disk-disk clone fails, try to make local images of the individual partitions on the disk using partition-to-image, especially the 2 large partitions which I think are for your maps and jukebox media. If there are no errors in taking images of these 2 large partitions, then they can be potentially used later ..see next option (option 3)
c. Any error during the image or restore process on the 2 large partitions would mean that those partitions have issues (or the cloning process failed) and you may not be able to get back navigation or the audio files you have in the jukebox depending on the partition with the error. The smaller partitions are restored by the PCM3.1update disk, so i wouldn't worry about those too much in this situation. Any navigation/chrono and other licenses are the same as before - you won't lose them but you lose the data (so if you had navigation and during cloning, the maps partition cannot be restored properly, there will be no map files for the system to use; if the jukebox partition has errors you may not be able to get the songs or other audio files you had previously loaded into the jukebox..) In this case, till you find a way to recover those partitions, a good option to get a working system is the same as described in Option 3 below.

3) If your current HDD is completely dead or has extensive damage and any attempt at cloning the entire disk without errors fails, then the next set of steps will get you back to a fully functional system with an empty jukebox (if you had one) but there will be no Maps/Navi. This option is better than requesting copies of someone else's disk drive (from the posts I've seen so far this does not bring back maps anyway - I have no idea if maps are locked to a vin or not but even if they are not, the version of the maps on the disk has to be compatible with the license key coded in the PCM..otherwise the maps wont work anyway...) - so this will get you going if you do not plan to restore the Navi or atleast for the short term till as you explore other options to recover your map data or jukebox files..
- NOTE: There will be a 'loading navi' message instead when you try to view maps but everything else you had earlier should work - Based on my current understanding, if you wants the maps working, a trip to to the dealer to reload the map files (mainly labor to run a set of DVDs they have for the specific version of the maps one is licensed for) should be sufficient or you can buy a new key and have the latest maps installed. (the dealer may actually recommend this unless you already had the latest map updates before HDD failure)

Steps to setup partitions on a new SSD/HDD using Clonezilla:
- Review the list of fdisk options on the net: you can use this link or any other one to understand fdisk commands: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/f...tions-in-linux
- Connect your new SSD or HDD to your PC/laptop (you can use a SATA - USB connector or a SATA USB external drive enclosure) and boot with Clonezilla (USB or CD/DVD) -
- Choose the option to get to the command prompt and type sudo fdisk /dev/sd<drive letter> . The drive letter identifies the specific disk. WARNING: Be sure to connect to the correct SSD/HDD - you can easily corrupt your laptop/desktop if you were to accidentally connect to that drive instead - so make sure of the drive letter.
- delete all partitions on your replacement HDD/ SSD (you will lose all data - so be doubly sure that you are using fdisk on the right disk) and then
- use the 'o' option in fdisk to create a new blank partition table for 'dos'
- Then create new partitions 1-6 on the SSD using the 'n' option and each time enter the start and end sector numbers below. also set the partition ID as you create the partition using the 't' option (4d, 4e, 4f...). You will likely have issues entering some start numbers (ex: when i tried to create the first partition with sector 63 it did not allow that and forced a default of 2048 - continue with default of 2048 in such a case but ensure that the end sector matches with the list below. I think i faced this with the extended partitions as well - so this is applicable to any partition where you face this error with the start sector
- once you have created all 6 partitions with exact End Sector numbers and Partition IDs, enter the fdisk expert mode (x) and here you can update the start sector back to 63 and so on ... exit the expert mode using 'r' option once done
- Ensure that the listing of the partition table is an exact match with the list below except for the Device drive letter and use the 'w' command to save the changes. So, all the start and end sectors should match and the sector size (Sectors column) should also match - the types and IDs should also match.
- Ensure you have saved all changes with the 'w' option.
- You now have a PCM3.1 partitioned disk - you can always exit fdisk and then return to double check that the listing is exactly the same - any mismatch could cause the PCM update disk to fail so double checking helps
- if all the partitions are fine, then plug the SSD back into the PCM and resume your update from the blue screen. (or re-run the entire update disk if you don't have a blue screen).
- You should now get back a fully working system except for Navi and you will have a jukebox as before (it will be empty and you have to load your audio files again)
- If you were able to make clean images of the large partitions (partitions 3 and/or 6) mentioned in Option 2 -then you can restore just those partitions to the corresponding newly created partitions on the SSD before plugging the SSD back into the PCM to resume the update. If there are no errors in restoring those images, then you will likely be able to get the maps or jukebox media back as well...

----------------------------------
The Device drive letter (Ex: The 'd' in /dev/sdd in the list below) is specific on the number of disks connected to the system - so in your case this could be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc etc.. be sure to connect to the right disk before making changes!

Disk type dos

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size ID Type
/dev/sdd1 * 63 4209029 4208967 2G 4d QNX4.x
/dev/sdd2 4209030 6313544 2104515 1G 4e QNX4.x 2nd part
/dev/sdd3 6313545 109081349 102767805 49G 4f QNX4.x 3rd part
/dev/sdd4 109081350 195366464 86285115 41.1G 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 109081413 111185864 2104452 1G 50 Ontrack DM
/dev/sdd6 111185928 195366464 84180537 40.1G 51 Ontrack DM6 Aux1

NOTE: This is common information that anyone can gather from a working or partially working HDD using any disk partition tool and i got this while cloning my drive for backup - so this is open information
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi!

Awesome guide! However in my version of clonezilla I get asked for primary and extended partition on each n (add a new partition). Witch ones are primary and witch ones are extended in your list 1-6?

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2020 | 10:43 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by s4lem0nsen
Hi!

Awesome guide! However in my version of clonezilla I get asked for primary and extended partition on each n (add a new partition). Witch ones are primary and witch ones are extended in your list 1-6?

Thanks again!
Thanks! Partitions 1-3 are primary and partition 4 is extended - Partitions 5 & 6 are defined within the extended partition - not sure of the exact command sequence for 5 and 6. But at the end before savign just match the total partition list including cylinder numbers with the details I posted. As long as they match, you should be good.
Old 05-27-2020 | 01:14 PM
Carbonman
AutoX

Default I'm in trouble!

Dan,

If you can outline the steps you've taken with the IDE/PATA replacement, that would be awesome. I've got a 2012 Cayenne with a PCM 3.1 v3.42 and the hard disk is starting to fail. I sourced a SSD (64GB KingSpec 2.5-inch PATA/IDE SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash) SM2236 Controller) and have cloned the existing 40GB Toshiba hard disk using Clonezilla, which went without error and everything looks like it matches at the partition level, but once installed back in the PCM, I only have the default functions (AM/FM/XM/Aux/Disk), but no Bluetooth or other media. When I go to Maps, I just get the "Loading Maps" message.

I haven't installed any updates, so I suspect that I might need to source an update disk and try that, but am not totally sure the replacement SSD is actually compatible and working properly. Any advice or instructions for people suffer with IDE drives would be much appreciated!

Quick Update: I found the ISO file on this forum for the v3.43 software, so I downloaded that, burned it to a DVD and stuck it in the head unit. It did as expected - asked if I wanted to update, confirm, etc. and it started on its merry way. About 10 minutes into the process and at about the 50% complete bar, it suddenly jumped to 100%, went black and that was it. I waited about an hour while it did nothing. I could hear the DVD spin up, click, repeat. The system won't even power on any more. I've pulled the fuse to the PCM, waited a few minutes and the tried again - same result. Tonight I'll put the original HDD back in to see if that resolved anything, but I've got an uneasy feeling my PCM is bricked!

Last edited by Carbonman; 05-27-2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-27-2020 | 07:31 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carbonman
Dan,

If you can outline the steps you've taken with the IDE/PATA replacement, that would be awesome. I've got a 2012 Cayenne with a PCM 3.1 v3.42 and the hard disk is starting to fail. I sourced a SSD (64GB KingSpec 2.5-inch PATA/IDE SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash) SM2236 Controller) and have cloned the existing 40GB Toshiba hard disk using Clonezilla, which went without error and everything looks like it matches at the partition level, but once installed back in the PCM, I only have the default functions (AM/FM/XM/Aux/Disk), but no Bluetooth or other media. When I go to Maps, I just get the "Loading Maps" message.

I haven't installed any updates, so I suspect that I might need to source an update disk and try that, but am not totally sure the replacement SSD is actually compatible and working properly. Any advice or instructions for people suffer with IDE drives would be much appreciated!

Quick Update: I found the ISO file on this forum for the v3.43 software, so I downloaded that, burned it to a DVD and stuck it in the head unit. It did as expected - asked if I wanted to update, confirm, etc. and it started on its merry way. About 10 minutes into the process and at about the 50% complete bar, it suddenly jumped to 100%, went black and that was it. I waited about an hour while it did nothing. I could hear the DVD spin up, click, repeat. The system won't even power on any more. I've pulled the fuse to the PCM, waited a few minutes and the tried again - same result. Tonight I'll put the original HDD back in to see if that resolved anything, but I've got an uneasy feeling my PCM is bricked!
Hi there!
Don't worry - put your Toshiba back in and run the update disk again. The kingspec isn't compatible so ids say it's getting upset with it. The only IDE SSD I found that worked is the Zehino brand one (thanks to Kari for putting me onto the BMW thread where they recommended it)​​​​​​. Two days later I had one (go Amazon AU!) it was the last one they had It's a true IDE SSD the kingspec uses some sort of ATA protocol but IDE that the PCM doesn't like & and isn't compatible with. Also expand the DVD to a USB and use that - I also had trouble with the DVD - one tiny scratch and it's gone. Keep us posted.
​​​​​​
Old 05-28-2020 | 01:07 AM
Carbonman
AutoX

Originally Posted by dan_189
Hi there!
Don't worry - put your Toshiba back in and run the update disk again. The kingspec isn't compatible so ids say it's getting upset with it. The only IDE SSD I found that worked is the Zehino brand one (thanks to Kari for putting me onto the BMW thread where they recommended it)​​​​​​. Two days later I had one (go Amazon AU!) it was the last one they had It's a true IDE SSD the kingspec uses some sort of ATA protocol but IDE that the PCM doesn't like & and isn't compatible with. Also expand the DVD to a USB and use that - I also had trouble with the DVD - one tiny scratch and it's gone. Keep us posted.
​​​​​​
Dan - spot on with that advice. When I removed the Kingspec SSD, the unit went right into emergency update mode and it was also really hot - like it was constantly trying to spin up the DVD and write to the SSD and I think it was doing that with the car off too. My original HDD doesn't seem like it wants to spin up any longer, so I just modified the update files to remove the HDD portions. Emergency update via the USB got me back to my starting point - AM/FM/Sat/Aux but no Bluetooth functions. Not the end of the world. I'll source another drive and go from there. The good news is the cloned Kingspec SSD that the PCM doesn't like has a nice fresh image of the other drive before it died so I should be able to use that to build the new disk. If not, I'll have to partition things by hand and get the dealer to help me out with maps.Thanks again for the push in the right direction - much appreciated!
Old 05-28-2020 | 02:14 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Good to hear you've got it back up and running.

Id get a Zehino IDE SSD or even a standard IDE drive and clone from kingspec to your new drive - plug it in and you should get all the functionality back - keep us posted
Old 06-04-2020 | 11:45 PM
Carbonman
AutoX

Dan,

I couldn't locate a Zehino drive anywhere but I was able to find a new Toshiba drive that was the exact match to the OEM unit. I cloned it from the SSD, plugged it in the PCM and it fired up like nothing had changed; maps, nav, Bluetooth, all working like they should. Life is good!

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-10-2020 | 02:05 PM
thigobr
Cruisin'

Hi all!

Thanks for the amazingly helpful topic! Last year my PCM started to re-boot, not very frequently, but annoying. I was suspecting the HDD and bingo! When I removed I did a disk surface test I found some bad blocks. I ordered a Kingspec SSD and cloned the HD (skipping the bad block sections) but it didn't work at all and I lost Bluetooth/USB media/Navigation, etc... Right now only AUX input and Radio works not even CD drive is reading Audio.

I was able to find a VMWare Virtual Machine image for QNX system and I was able to check all the file systems in the disk.. All tree partition were corrupted and marked dirt so the system was unable to mount then! I still have to put the disk back on the PCM but I hope after using the system utilities the lost functions will go back and I can try to update with the ISO found here!

To keep the topic going I can post the original partition layout for 40GB IDE PATA drive:

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 37,3 GiB, 40007761920 bytes, 78140160 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xxxxxxx91

Device      Boot     Start       End     Sectors     Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1               32   4095999     4095968       2G 4d QNX4.x
/dev/sdb2          4096000   6143999     2048000    1000M 4e QNX4.x 2nd part
/dev/sdb3          6144000  78137343    71993344    34,3G 4f QNX4.x 3rd part

The following users liked this post:
DemonBG (03-03-2022)
Old 06-10-2020 | 08:15 PM
dan_189
Race Car

If you're using a kingspec ide/PATA ssd it won't work in thr PCM 3.1 hard - I tried

Only the Zehino brand works or just get an original ide drive
Old 06-10-2020 | 08:51 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

if you have some bad blocks on your disc, have you tried GRC's spinrite?
if you ever need to save some media, this tool is worth a try
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Old 06-10-2020 | 08:54 PM
dan_189
Race Car

FYI even with different software to clone the drive and copy the bad sectors the Kingspec IDE SSD still wont work in the PCM. @thigobr you need a Zehino SSD or a standard mechanical drive.
Old 06-11-2020 | 12:38 PM
kari
Instructor

Agree with dan_189 who has first hand experience with the IDE/PATA HDD! The earlier PCM systems do not seem to have software 'drivers' to support various IDE devices - only a few restricted models seem to be supported. So, your best bet is to get a Zheino SSD or any Toshiba/Hitachi IDE HDD - I suspect laptop grade IDE/PATA HDDs of a larger capacity from these manufacturers are also likely to work if you cannot find the exact automotive grade HDD. If you really want to try an SSD, then you may want to explore a Marvell 88SA8052 based adapter to connect to say an mSATA SSD - not sure if anyone has tried this with the PCM system but can be tried.

Thanks for sharing the sector details thigobr - have added a link to the sector details you provided into my larger post for anyone else coming here in the future... If you have qnx, then try mounting the first 2 partitions as qnx6, not qnx4.

The disks seem to fail for multiple reasons - disk failure, physical bad sectors and also because of filesystem corruption. If your disk has filesystem corruption, then you can always format the relevant partition with qnx and run the update disk again to get back the functionality. Just note that the largest partition has the maps (sdb3 in your case) - so formatting that partition will mean you lose all map data... contents of partitions 1 & 2 will be restored on running the update disk....

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop