Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 10:07 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

maybe try spinrite to fix the original hard drive?
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Old 01-12-2021, 10:25 AM
Obrevik
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kari
Based on your description cannot rule out corruption of the filesystem in the hdd or filesystem internal to the pcm unit or both.. would suggest running the update disk as it does resolve some scenarios but beware that if the update does not fix the issue the unit will end up stuck in the emergency update mode.

A 2.20 version indicates an early unit, so not sure of the features it has. In newer pcm3.1 units enabling the engineering mode using piwis activates the usb ...so maybe you can try that..

Not sure of the +r vs -r ..that is more specific to the dvd player hardware... areyou sure you copied the iso to dvd correctly? did you burn the iso as a file or as an image? ( The new dvd should be created as an image..iit should not show an iso in the main directory.. you should be able to directly see all the files and folders in the corresponding root folder/drive on the computer ) These errors could occur if the dvd burning software truncates file names or extensions.. so try tweaking the software options to make an exact copy..
Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
maybe try spinrite to fix the original hard drive?
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

checked the old drive with macrorit disk scanner, no bad sectors found. so I put the old drive back and it still reboots every 65 seconds.
maps don't load anymore either for some reason.

so I took out the unit to check for any loose or damaged cables inside, found the DVD drive cable to be inserted crocked. put everything back and still the same 65 seconds reboot.

but then out of nowhere, it loaded the update disk, but with an error code: 3000 error text: unexpected system reset.

tried again and it actually asked me if I wanted to update to 2.24. but it rebooted as soon as it started to update the first module. and now I can't get back into the update menu..

the nearest dealer with piwis is 6 hours away, kinda wish it would enter emergency update mode so I can use an usb drive.

since the error is so consistent I would presume it´s a firmware/software fault right?

Old 01-13-2021, 02:50 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

+r is a rewriteable disc, you don't want that. i used -r and it worked fine.
don't try and use the old drive, you're better off trying to move forward with your new drive
also - the dealership can reinstall the maps that are licensed to you

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 01-13-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:37 AM
briik
AutoX

I suffered a physical HDD failure resulting in bad sectors.
Following this thread I was able to regain all functionality, after having to resort to kari's 3rd step (manually partitioning a blank SSD). Many thanks.
One update though:
If you are using an SSD of a larger size than the one you removed then you don't need to be as careful with the sectors as kari makes it seem. All you need is (1) the start of partition 1 to be at 63 and (2) all of the partitions to be at least as large as the ones on your original drive. So instead of typing in sectors, just select the default start and for end enter the amount of space you want the partition to take (ie. "+4.2G"). This works just fine and if you want to have a massive jukebox you could use a large SSD and give yourself tons of space in that partition.

Edit: I had originally reported that all of my attempts to restore nav & maps failed. It turned out that restoring those partitions did work and that the car needed to be pulled out to where it could get a GPS signal and some extra time to load the maps. All is well.

Last edited by briik; 01-22-2021 at 06:26 PM. Reason: nav& maps were restored - needed GPS signal
Old 01-15-2021, 11:47 AM
Obrevik
Track Day

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
+r is a rewriteable disc, you don't want that. i used -r and it worked fine.
don't try and use the old drive, you're better off trying to move forward with your new drive
also - the dealership can reinstall the maps that are licensed to you

So I got in my car this morning and tried one last time to update, and guess what it WORKED!! Update went all the way with no errors at all. the last update message was reset system and it turned off.
well guess what I now have a huge a$$ paperweight...

no boot screen, just a clicking sound and a brief flash in the buttons.

my guess is that the bootloader is corrupt now.

I´m **** outta luck now, right?

Old 01-19-2021, 09:33 AM
Obrevik
Track Day

quick update.

hadn´t used the car in a day and when I got back it again started to update the pcm in emergency update mode. it failed at around 98% on .placeholder so swapped in the original hdd and it then failed at audioGAL.txt

so I decided to modify the .def file to skip the hdd update and remove it altogether, sure enough, the update went well and the pcm is now working!

thanks for all the help! now it´s jus to order a carplay mod and I should be up and running with music streaming and google maps : D

Old 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Obrevik
quick update.

hadn´t used the car in a day and when I got back it again started to update the pcm in emergency update mode. it failed at around 98% on .placeholder so swapped in the original hdd and it then failed at audioGAL.txt

so I decided to modify the .def file to skip the hdd update and remove it altogether, sure enough, the update went well and the pcm is now working!

thanks for all the help! now it´s jus to order a carplay mod and I should be up and running with music streaming and google maps : D
Was just responding to your earlier post when I saw this. Well done - your persistence paid off.

It's extremely rare for the both the regular and emergency boot locations to be corrupted at the same time .. normally that would indicate hardware issues with the FPGA/Prom internal to the unit. The other possibility I was leaning towards is power variations during the update process which is possible when triggering things like actuators or other motor controls especially without the engine running... It's best to have the battery tender connected.or the engine running and to not put any load on the battery to ensure the update is not interrupted.

Anyway it's now clear that you had corruption with the internal memory and the hdd . The internal memory issues were resolved with the update. The hdd corruption persisted.

If you don't plan to use the native pcm navigation then you should be good but I'm unsure if any other functions are affected due to the hdd being removed. So if you do notice any significant sluggishness or other issues and you choose to restore the hdd, you can either partition a brand new hdd/ssd from scratch (don't clone) using the sector details (listed in one of the earlier posts in this thread) or you can use disk genius with the existing hdd/ssd to make a note of the partition types, change the partition types ( of partitions 1 and 2 only) from qnx to linux , format those partitions in Linux and change those types back to what they were initially set to using disk genius...

Old 01-19-2021, 07:38 PM
55Hdtp
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, let me start by saying that I have literally read every post in this thread at least once and have tried everything suggested except for creating individual blank partitions. Also, I am not familiar with Clonezilla or computer codes/commands. To give a little background about my particular issue, I have a PCM 3.1 unit that I suddenly became unable to bluetooth to and the radio stopped playing even though it was showing it was on a station. It corrected itself the next day and was working normally. I ran across the post by jslo talking about the hard drive failures and decided it would be a good idea to be proactive just in case mine was failing to go ahead and clone mine to a SSD.

I bought a PNY 120 gb SATA SSD (part # CS900) as suggested by jslo. I also bought a Unitek USB 3.0 to SATA dual bay docking station/cloner (part # Y-ST03004). I used the dock to do an offline clone of my original HDD to the SSD. All sectors and partitions matched in quantity and size. I installed the new SSD into the PCM and ran the update disk created from the ISO in this thread. It went into the Emergency Update screen and stopped at around 98% at .placeholder just like johannaKarlsson.

I performed the steps in Post 21 and was able to get out of the Emergency Update loop. However, as was expected Bluetooth, Nav, and Jukebox were no longer working. Also, the PCM began to restart every 5 minutes which it had never done before. I tried the original HDD and the update disk with the same results. I wasn't sure what fuse to pull (no owner's manual), so I am wondering if maybe pulling the original hard drive while it was powered corrupted something.

Anyways, I decided to reformat the SSD to try the steps to create the individual blank partitions as laid out in Post 24 since this is the only thing I have not tried. I used Disk Genius and assigned an FD pattern. I have a flash drive loaded with Clonezilla. My issues right now are that there is no drive letter assigned to the formatted hard drive, so I can't find it with Clonezilla. I know how to assign a drive letter, but I don't know how to set up the drive to be able to. Also, the commands are confusing to me and I'm not sure exactly what to type into the shell command line in Clonezilla after I have a drvie letter assigned.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to give the full picture. Hopefully, someone here can help the hard drive illiterate person that I am. Also, if there is something else I should do instead of the steps from Post 24, just let me know.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by 55Hdtp
First, let me start by saying that I have literally read every post in this thread at least once and have tried everything suggested except for creating individual blank partitions. Also, I am not familiar with Clonezilla or computer codes/commands. To give a little background about my particular issue, I have a PCM 3.1 unit that I suddenly became unable to bluetooth to and the radio stopped playing even though it was showing it was on a station. It corrected itself the next day and was working normally. I ran across the post by jslo talking about the hard drive failures and decided it would be a good idea to be proactive just in case mine was failing to go ahead and clone mine to a SSD.

I bought a PNY 120 gb SATA SSD (part # CS900) as suggested by jslo. I also bought a Unitek USB 3.0 to SATA dual bay docking station/cloner (part # Y-ST03004). I used the dock to do an offline clone of my original HDD to the SSD. All sectors and partitions matched in quantity and size. I installed the new SSD into the PCM and ran the update disk created from the ISO in this thread. It went into the Emergency Update screen and stopped at around 98% at .placeholder just like johannaKarlsson.

I performed the steps in Post 21 and was able to get out of the Emergency Update loop. However, as was expected Bluetooth, Nav, and Jukebox were no longer working. Also, the PCM began to restart every 5 minutes which it had never done before. I tried the original HDD and the update disk with the same results. I wasn't sure what fuse to pull (no owner's manual), so I am wondering if maybe pulling the original hard drive while it was powered corrupted something.

Anyways, I decided to reformat the SSD to try the steps to create the individual blank partitions as laid out in Post 24 since this is the only thing I have not tried. I used Disk Genius and assigned an FD pattern. I have a flash drive loaded with Clonezilla. My issues right now are that there is no drive letter assigned to the formatted hard drive, so I can't find it with Clonezilla. I know how to assign a drive letter, but I don't know how to set up the drive to be able to. Also, the commands are confusing to me and I'm not sure exactly what to type into the shell command line in Clonezilla after I have a drvie letter assigned.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to give the full picture. Hopefully, someone here can help the hard drive illiterate person that I am. Also, if there is something else I should do instead of the steps from Post 24, just let me know.
Most likely filesystem/ partition corruption.
The options to fix are the same as listed in my previous post yesterday (#173)

If you are not comfortable with clonezilla, you can repeat the offline clone from hdd to ssd again and then follow the steps I suggested to johannaKarlsson - she was able to complete the update smoothly after. In her case I was able to confirm the exact partition that was corrput. In your case you may want to repeat this sequence for both partitions 1 and 2 - but ensure you set the correct partition type for each partition when you convert the type back from linux to qnx. The partition types should match the listing in post 24. The. Run the update and it should go through.

However if you choose to continue and build partitions from scratch after a low level format and have atleast a partially working original hdd, then you can try the the steps to copy the partition tables to the ssd that is already low level formatted - the step was suggested by user thewilde is a simpler way to set the partition table up - I have a link to that post within post 24. But as you are unable to view the driive in clonezilla, just assign a drive letter. Google 'steps to format a raw drive using windows 10' if that makes it easy. Its ok to now reformat the raw drive as a linux or windows ssd and then begin the steps to copy the partition map from original hdd to ssd or create the partition map manually using clonezilla.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:41 PM
55Hdtp
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely filesystem/ partition corruption.
The options to fix are the same as listed in my previous post yesterday (#173)

If you are not comfortable with clonezilla, you can repeat the offline clone from hdd to ssd again and then follow the steps I suggested to johannaKarlsson - she was able to complete the update smoothly after. In her case I was able to confirm the exact partition that was corrput. In your case you may want to repeat this sequence for both partitions 1 and 2 - but ensure you set the correct partition type for each partition when you convert the type back from linux to qnx. The partition types should match the listing in post 24. The. Run the update and it should go through.

However if you choose to continue and build partitions from scratch after a low level format and have atleast a partially working original hdd, then you can try the the steps to copy the partition tables to the ssd that is already low level formatted - the step was suggested by user thewilde is a simpler way to set the partition table up - I have a link to that post within post 24. But as you are unable to view the driive in clonezilla, just assign a drive letter. Google 'steps to format a raw drive using windows 10' if that makes it easy. Its ok to now reformat the raw drive as a linux or windows ssd and then begin the steps to copy the partition map from original hdd to ssd or create the partition map manually using clonezilla.
I had already performed the steps that you outlined for johannaKarlsson and it did not work. I just re-cloned the hard drive and performed those steps as you said to partitions 1 & 2 instead of only 1. I ran the update using my flash drive, and it still failed at about 98% at .placeholder. The message was Error Copying Files.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by 55Hdtp
I had already performed the steps that you outlined for johannaKarlsson and it did not work. I just re-cloned the hard drive and performed those steps as you said to partitions 1 & 2 instead of only 1. I ran the update using my flash drive, and it still failed at about 98% at .placeholder. The message was Error Copying Files.
Then the corruption in the superblock, inode or other filesystem metadata structure is still not cleared up. Easy to do if you had access to a computer running qnx but without it all one can do is try various tools and workarounds to get the inodes to be rebuilt by the system.... and i still think the problem lies here..

If you have access to a linux machine try formatting those 2 partitions on linux and repeat..
Or try clonezilla.. search for steps to format partition to ext2 or ext3 in following link
http://support.moonpoint.com/os/unix...ion-format.php

Old 01-20-2021, 09:50 PM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by briik
I suffered a physical HDD failure resulting in bad sectors.
Following this thread I was able to regain all functionality except for Navigation, after having to resort to kari's 3rd step (manually partitioning a blank SSD). Many thanks.
Two updates though:
1) Nav cannot be recovered: I got good images of partitions 3 and 6 from the original drive - everyone suspects that these contain the jukebox and navigation, which they probably do - but restoring those images to the disk and then installing the software update (v4.76) did NOT enable navigation. Restoring those partitions after the software installation also does not result in Nav being restored. All attempts at this resulted in having all available functionality except navigation.
2) If you are using an SSD of a larger size than the one you removed then you don't need to be as careful with the sectors as kari makes it seem. All you need is (1) the start of partition 1 to be at 63 and (2) all of the partitions to be at least as large as the ones on your original drive. So instead of typing in sectors, just select the default start and for end enter the amount of space you want the partition to take (ie. "+4.2G"). This works just fine and if you want to have a massive jukebox you could use a large SSD and give yourself tons of space in that partition.
You now need an activation to run the map again.
I repair alot of those units.
You didnt match the image to the version you had installed.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:23 PM
briik
AutoX

Thanks simaservis1108, I appreciate that but I looks like it actually did work - I just needed to pull the car out so it could get a GPS signal and give it some time to load.
My original version was 4.7.3, so i suppose the nav/map data was close enough to be compatible.
Full navigation is available. I'll be editing my previous post to reflect this and give others hope.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 PM
Amit87
3rd Gear

Default Cayenne GTS 2013 PCM 3.1 fixed!!

Hi All,

I used this thread and forum extensively and it massively (100%) helped me so only fair I contributed back.

I have a 2013 UK Cayenne GTS with PCM 3.1 which was at V4.52.

I started experiencing reboots every couple/few mins and maps just said "loading maps" in the instrument cluster and on the PCM.

It had a 100gb Toshiba data hdd, I replaced the harddrive with a 120gb SSD.more info at:
https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...ve-to-ssd.html

I used Arconis to clone both HDDs. I originally used Clonezilla too but had trial and error so tried again wit arconis. I am sure Clonezilla worked too. Either way both reported errors on parition 2 at some sectors. Partition 3 and 5 (largest ones) and all others were fine. So I cloned the drive.

Upon placing the new SSD in and putting the PCM back in, I had the same reboot issue, I had to update!! I managed to download V4.76 from post 25:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...l#post16428326

I used imgburn on the lowest write speed (4x for me) to burn the ISO file onto a DVD-r of verbatim brand. (I tries dvd+r same brand using windows iso burner and img burn and the latter semi worked, deffo get a good brand dvd-r).

This appeares to update the corrupted parition on the now installed SSD and upgraded my PCM 3.1 V4.76.

Now everything works again.
Thabks guys for all the posts which ultimately helped me 😁
Old 02-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Obrevik
Track Day

Was just responding to your earlier post when I saw this. Well done - your persistence paid off.

It's extremely rare for the both the regular and emergency boot locations to be corrupted at the same time .. normally that would indicate hardware issues with the FPGA/Prom internal to the unit. The other possibility I was leaning towards is power variations during the update process which is possible when triggering things like actuators or other motor controls especially without the engine running... It's best to have the battery tender connected.or the engine running and to not put any load on the battery to ensure the update is not interrupted.

Anyway it's now clear that you had corruption with the internal memory and the hdd . The internal memory issues were resolved with the update. The hdd corruption persisted.

If you don't plan to use the native pcm navigation then you should be good but I'm unsure if any other functions are affected due to the hdd being removed. So if you do notice any significant sluggishness or other issues and you choose to restore the hdd, you can either partition a brand new hdd/ssd from scratch (don't clone) using the sector details (listed in one of the earlier posts in this thread) or you can use disk genius with the existing hdd/ssd to make a note of the partition types, change the partition types ( of partitions 1 and 2 only) from qnx to linux , format those partitions in Linux and change those types back to what they were initially set to using disk genius...
thx, yeah after a lot of trial and error I made it work

haven't noticed any sluggishness in the Pcm but i forgot that to have the navi in the dash display I need to hdd...

I bought a Toshiba 60gb drive on eBay but that one failed as soon as I plugged it into the pc, I do have another Pata drive from Samsung that is 160GB. can I format and partition that to be used with the pcm or do I need a Toshiba to make it work?

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop