Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020 | 03:45 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

I know this may sound illogical, but try using a different USB Stick. For some reason when I was using either "newer" or older USB sticks, I would get an error.

I suspect there may be something in USB construction that causes the failure at a given placeholder, rather than the drive level issues.
Old 08-24-2020 | 03:48 PM
wiltord
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SFOJAM
I know this may sound illogical, but try using a different USB Stick. For some reason when I was using either "newer" or older USB sticks, I would get an error.

I suspect there may be something in USB construction that causes the failure at a given placeholder, rather than the drive level issues.
I remember reading that too, but since I was able to get out of the Emergency Update with this USB stick (it's an old 16gb USB 2.0 stick from like 10 years ago), I figured it'd work. I'll give it another try with a different USB stick (or the CD maybe) on the 00'd SSD
Old 08-24-2020 | 04:01 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by wiltord
Hi folks!

It's reassuring (maybe not) that I'm not the only one suffering from this issue. I'm currently in a place where I seem to have hit a dead end based on the solutions that were suggested in this topic. Let me recap what I've tried, for clarity.

- I first cloned my HDD onto a PNY 120gb SSD (via clonezilla) that some others were using, so I can move forward with a new drive that I could keep wiping if needed.
- My update failed when I tried to upgrade from 4.73 to 4.76 and rebooted into Emergency update mode, which led me to this thread
- My emergency update fails at .placeholder, similar to johannaKarlsson, and if I do the bypass of the failing 2 tasks (PCMS02XX1221, HDD and CFG), then I'm able to get past the emergency update screen. The PCM is back to crashing every few minutes, which got me back to my starting point
- I installed DiskGenius and I tried clearing partition 2 (4E), hoping that would resolve my issue like it did for johannaKarlsson, but it didn't .
- I also zeroed out the whole SSD with DiskGenius, and recreated all of the partitions with fdisk, following the steps of option 3 in post 24. I thought this would do it, as my SSD would be a clean slate again, but surprisingly, my update still failed and got caught up at .placeholder again.

One thing I should mention is that I used DiskGenius to check the original HDD to see if there were any bad sectors, and that didn't seem to be the case either, which I found surprising

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm pretty sure I've gone over all of the posts in this thread, and I feel like I'm out of ideas right now :\

I can definitely attach pictures/videos, but they're basically the same as the photos/videos that we've seen already here
A lot of the issues are to do with filesystem corruption so you wont find it with a sector scan.
Two points:
- I am not sure if you did a low level format using Disk Genius - a basic format followed by creation of the partition tables that I shared earlier does not help resolve filesystem corruption. You will either have to use a brand new SSD to create the partition table or use a tool that wipes the bytes on the SSD and puts a pattern like FDFDFDFD or something like that to replace all the data currently in that disk.
- I think you followed the steps I provided Johanna to format partition 4E which was for her specific case based on the screenshots she shared. If you are still stuck, repeat the steps with partition 4D as well. (Do not touch partition 4F as it has the maps and you will lose them for good).

Keep us posted..
Old 08-24-2020 | 04:11 PM
wiltord
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kari
A lot of the issues are to do with filesystem corruption so you wont find it with a sector scan.
Two points:
- I am not sure if you did a low level format using Disk Genius - a basic format followed by creation of the partition tables that I shared earlier does not help resolve filesystem corruption. You will either have to use a brand new SSD to create the partition table or use a tool that wipes the bytes on the SSD and puts a pattern like FDFDFDFD or something like that to replace all the data currently in that disk.
- I think you followed the steps I provided Johanna to format partition 4E which was for her specific case based on the screenshots she shared. If you are still stuck, repeat the steps with partition 4D as well. (Do not touch partition 4F as it has the maps and you will lose them for good).

Keep us posted..
To your second point, that was actually what I meant when I said I 00'd the disc. I nulled every single byte on the SSD, which was why I was so baffled by the fact that it got caught up at .placeholder again on my last attempt yesterday. I actually did that with DiskGenius, then used fdisk to recreate the partition table using your steps in post 24.

I'll try to switch up my USB drive too (and I also have the CD so I might try that) on my 00'd drive (its current state) to see if I can get out of Emergency Update. Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2020 | 04:37 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by wiltord
To your second point, that was actually what I meant when I said I 00'd the disc. I nulled every single byte on the SSD, which was why I was so baffled by the fact that it got caught up at .placeholder again on my last attempt yesterday. I actually did that with DiskGenius, then used fdisk to recreate the partition table using your steps in post 24.

I'll try to switch up my USB drive too (and I also have the CD so I might try that) on my 00'd drive (its current state) to see if I can get out of Emergency Update. Thanks again!
Most people face issues with the DVD drive and then switch to USB and many USB drives are not detected. If yours is detected, then it should work but give it a shot with another usb.

Going back to the notes you posted the first time, where you are able to bypass HDD and CFG to get back to a normal screen, the problem seems to be with partition 4E. Are you sure you saves all the changes explicitly at each step during the formatting of partition 4E for example? If it fails at the same point each time then for some reason the format was not written to disk, so 4E is still corrupt...

Old 08-24-2020 | 07:22 PM
wiltord
8th Gear

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about keeping my Maps/Jukebox data (I didn't actually really use them), so I wanted to try to get past this with a blank slate.

I was thinking my next attempt should be:
1) Wipe the SSD in DiskGenius by writing FD to every byte. I used the editor to confirm this was the case.
2) Boot into clonezilla cmd line, use fdisk to create the dos partition table
3) Create all 6 partitions (I'm at this point right now)
4) Use a new USB drive to try to get out of the emergency update loop. If that doesn't work, I'll try the old USB, and the DVD after that

If I can get out like this, I'll try to clone the partition 3/6 from my original HDD and upgrade. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: That did it! I don't think I'm going to bother with restoring Partitions 3/6 right now, since I'm pretty content with it not restarting as it stands! I think the key difference was when I wrote FD into every byte, and then recreated the partitions, which likely made sure it was clear. I'm guessing that when I deleted the partition and disk genius and recreated it, the FS just references the same corrupt data from those blocks, which made it continue failing during the emergency update! Thanks for helping me deal with this headache!

Last edited by wiltord; 08-24-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2020 | 07:06 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

is there someone on here that will clone a harddrive? That is way over my ability
Old 08-27-2020 | 07:26 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by GRIEHL
is there someone on here that will clone a harddrive? That is way over my ability
Saw your post on the other thread related to ssd. It must have been pretty expensive to get a replacement unit for just the hard disk..you could have shipped the unit to becker autosound for flat fee.repair instead. Costs approx 1000usd and they provide a warranty..

Anyway, reach out to user: jslo in this forum..he clones hdds to ssds and there is a thread he started a while ago on this topic..

But given the problem you mentioned in the other thread, I suspect you will have to run the update disk with your replacement hdd to resolve..just changing the hdd using another PCM hdd won't suffice.. the link to the update disk is also in one of the threads in rennlist.. note: if the disks are faulty or corrupt you will potentially end up with a emergency update screen.. earlier posts in this thread cover ways to recover assuming the problem is with the hdd and not the internal hardware..

Old 08-27-2020 | 10:17 AM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

right --- I did message that guy with no response. I am trying to NOT spend 1k on this radio....its not THAT good! Lol. But if I have to I have to. How can I figure out if the issue with thee firmware or with the hard drive? The place I sent that hard drive to did a free check on it and they said it was beyond repair. I am not sure what to do.
Old 08-27-2020 | 10:21 AM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

Is there anyone else on the forum that works on these?
Old 08-27-2020 | 02:31 PM
kari
Instructor

right --- I did message that guy with no response. I am trying to NOT spend 1k on this radio....its not THAT good! Lol. But if I have to I have to. How can I figure out if the issue with thee firmware or with the hard drive? The place I sent that hard drive to did a free check on it and they said it was beyond repair. I am not sure what to do.
ok, let me get this straight - you did not get a replacement pcm unit, you just purchased a hdd of the same make/model as the faulty hdd ?

If the hdd is beyond repair, My earlier post talks about setting up a HDD/SSD from scratch: See option 3 (also has the link that another rennlister had posted to download an image of the dvd):
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16522507

For option 3, you will need to run the update dvd and a partitioned SSD/HDD - the downside is that you have no maps/navi unless you head to the dealer to reinstall the maps but the other aspects will work fine. This is assuming that the hdd is at fault here - it is by far the most common reason and causes restarts every 3-4 minutes. If the restarts occur more frequently like every 10-20 seconds then hardware failures are a possibility..

If you dont hear from anyone and are still stuck, pm me...
Old 08-27-2020 | 02:34 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

correct -- I tried a used Hard Drive and it did the same thing (rebooting every 2 minutes)

The place that has the original hard drive it saying that it is not repairable....and that is where I am at currently

As far as nav works -- who really uses nav in their car anymore...I do not care
Old 08-27-2020 | 03:04 PM
kari
Instructor

correct -- I tried a used Hard Drive and it did the same thing (rebooting every 2 minutes)

The place that has the original hard drive it saying that it is not repairable....and that is where I am at currently

As far as nav works -- who really uses nav in their car anymore...I do not care
Then while there is no guarantee option 3 is worth a shot before exploring more costly repairs...
Old 08-27-2020 | 03:05 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

but i still need a new hdd, right?
Old 08-27-2020 | 03:12 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

Can you close the HDD for a cost if I send it to you?

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop