Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021 | 11:52 AM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by konkab
I managed to get the latest firmware dated 2021-07-16 from these guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oye2fwgbp...07-16.rar?dl=0. I don't know what's changed, but you can try installing it and see any difference.

The firmware format is the same as Joyeauto's, that means I'll be able to mod it and maybe enable 60 FPS or something else. Btw, I've ordered the unit already.

​​​​​​That's great, how did you find the firmware? Any links direct to page of manufacture?

Old 07-21-2021 | 01:30 PM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by don16
​​​​​​That's great, how did you find the firmware? Any links direct to page of manufacture?
I asked seller to send the firmware before I order the unit to “make sure” they provide software support. I couldn’t find direct manufacturer yet.

I have already unpacked the firmware and can confirm frame rate is limited to 30 fps for both CP and AA, but it can be easily modded.

Another workaround for audio input issue is to use external Android box with CP / AA support that connects to usb of our units. CarPlay inside of CarPlay. The Android box is capable of handling two bluetooth connections at a time. One for incoming data (your phone) and another for outgoing (audio streaming to pcm). But that’s a quite dirty workaround.
Old 07-21-2021 | 01:37 PM
don16
Instructor

I asked seller to send the firmware before I order the unit to “make sure” they provide software support. I couldn’t find direct manufacturer yet.

I have already unpacked the firmware and can confirm frame rate is limited to 30 fps for both CP and AA, but it can be easily modded.

Another workaround for audio input issue is to use external Android box with CP / AA support that connects to usb of our units. CarPlay inside of CarPlay. The Android box is capable of handling two bluetooth connections at a time. One for incoming data (your phone) and another for outgoing (audio streaming to pcm). But that’s a quite dirty workaround.
Hmm I am not sure your idea will work as audio out of the Carplay is aux so having another android auto attached to current wont make a difference. Yes android can have 2 Bluetooth connections, the problem is when Android Auto connects it hands of all the Bluetooth protocols to Android Auto! so even thouch PCM is connected and is selected for audio etc it does not work. So either the unit need to be hacked to send audio via bluetooth somehow or android auto needs to be hacked to stop audio protocol from being forced down the connection with AA.
Old 07-22-2021 | 08:17 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by don16
Hmm I am not sure your idea will work as audio out of the Carplay is aux so having another android auto attached to current wont make a difference. Yes android can have 2 Bluetooth connections, the problem is when Android Auto connects it hands of all the Bluetooth protocols to Android Auto! so even thouch PCM is connected and is selected for audio etc it does not work. So either the unit need to be hacked to send audio via bluetooth somehow or android auto needs to be hacked to stop audio protocol from being forced down the connection with AA.
Check out schemas I've drawn, they should explain what I mean:

Before:

After:

Last edited by konkab; 07-22-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2021 | 10:48 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

The Joyeauto has an HDMI connector if I recall correctly. Seems like that could be a good source of digital audio out of the unit. I wonder if there is a way to get that into something like the Satellite radio card slot inside the PCM.
Old 07-22-2021 | 12:04 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

I've read through most of this thread and it's never come up, likely because it isn't the focus of this topic but, wouldn't it be a more integrated solution to replace the PCM with a Porsche PCM from a newer vehicle
that has ApplePlay? or does it go beyond just the main PCM unit? Is the ApplePlay dependent on the voice control feature in the car which replacing the PCM alone wouldn't add.

I could take or leave Appleplay but what I would like is the newer XM radio to receive channels above the 289 or so that I am stuck at now. I ask that here only because all of you doing this mod seem very well
versed in the PCM and would probably know if a PCM swap would be enough to update my XM.

OP, I apologize for the thread hijack....
Old 07-22-2021 | 07:55 PM
sacaman
Track Day

I managed to get the latest firmware dated 2021-07-16 from these guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oye2fwgbp...07-16.rar?dl=0. I don't know what's changed, but you can try installing it and see any difference.

The firmware format is the same as Joyeauto's, that means I'll be able to mod it and maybe enable 60 FPS or something else. Btw, I've ordered the unit already.
Hi konkab

i have the same hardware as don can i aplay this update to it ?

PCM3.1-20210316-01
CX301: BSJ210305-0309
Software Version :2.2.1
Hardware 2.0.0

By the way I know the manufacturer and I do some deal with them the company is called CARTIZAN and if you like me to introduce you to the sales man give me a hint

have a nice day

Old 07-22-2021 | 11:25 PM
garyypk
Intermediate

Hey everyone, I'm happy to share a new firmware update for Joyeauto owners.

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes. I flashed the firmware on my unit, tested it and can confirm it works fine.

2021-5-10.custom.v2:
- Enables 60 FPS CarPlay capability

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yd4b7f2k3...BOOOT.BIN?dl=0

CarPlay Software Update Instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MBc7FQVCA

Use at your own risk.

After firmware upgrade your settings will be reset to default. To restore your settings, you'll need to:
1. Go to Settings -> Carplay -> Enter 1123 -> Select Porsche
2. Go to Settings -> Smartphone -> Reboot
3. Setup wireless CarPlay again.
4. Restore other settings like EQ, Display, etc.
It is a great update! It even improve the sound quality from my BASE audio. Not more distortion sound!
Old 07-23-2021 | 01:58 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by sacaman
Hi konkab

i have the same hardware as don can i aplay this update to it ?

PCM3.1-20210316-01
CX301: BSJ210305-0309
Software Version :2.2.1
Hardware 2.0.0

By the way I know the manufacturer and I do some deal with them the company is called CARTIZAN and if you like me to introduce you to the sales man give me a hint

have a nice day
Hi, I'm 99% sure it will work, but of course do this at your own risk.

I also found on the internet Cartizan sells this unit, but not on their website. Maybe they are just another "branded" reseller. Could you point me a link where you bought the unit?
Old 07-23-2021 | 02:20 AM
konkab
Advanced

Also, in theory, since the unit is based on Sunplus SPHE8368-U system-on-chip and Linux Gemini 4.9.152 armv7l, it's possible to implement lossless digital signal output by emulating iPod audio protocol. The SOC is capable of running USB in peripheral "gadget" mode, which means it could act as an iPod and by connecting the unit to PCM iPod interface we could stream music without losses digitally. It would require a Linux kernel module that creates a new ALSA audio card "iPodUSB" for audio playback and iap0 char device for iAP communications.

The other option, in theory as well, is that some of USB audio cards with Bluetooth capability may work out of the box with the unit, but I don't know if drivers are there in the firmware and what audio cards are supported.

UPDATE: Yes, the kernel does load required `snd-usb-audio` module for USB audio:

Last edited by konkab; 07-23-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2021 | 07:53 AM
sacaman
Track Day

Hi Konkab

this is promising news, the kit uses also the AUX output, but without adapter all the connections are hidden on the big connector

sacaman
Old 07-23-2021 | 09:27 AM
will_atl
Instructor

@konkab a question out of idle curiosity, do you play with firmware files for fun, or is it something that you do/have done for work? Or are you just into Linux?
Feel free not to answer, but your skills and determination are quite impressive!
Keep up the good work!
Old 07-23-2021 | 10:03 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by sacaman
Hi Konkab

this is promising news, the kit uses also the AUX output, but without adapter all the connections are hidden on the big connector

sacaman
Exactly. AUX audio goes to the pins on the connector.

Old 07-23-2021 | 10:29 AM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by will_atl
@konkab a question out of idle curiosity, do you play with firmware files for fun, or is it something that you do/have done for work? Or are you just into Linux?
Feel free not to answer, but your skills and determination are quite impressive!
Keep up the good work!
Yeah, I do this for fun and because some things work not like I want And when I start digging into something interesting, sometimes its difficult to stop I'm a software architect / developer, and getting more hardware experience is just nice.
The following users liked this post:
will_atl (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021 | 12:08 PM
sacaman
Track Day

Exactly. AUX audio goes to the pins on the connector.
this is very interesting if we hook the wire from AUX to the iPod area, it will be directly connected to the USB but without drivers loaded it will not work as the signal sent to AUX is an analogue signal instead of the digital one sent to the USB
by the way, did you get the contact for the cartizan i send it to you by message

sacaman

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )