Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 03:43 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Based on the other posts I've read, it appears the CarPlay board doesn't provide a USB digital audio output. It seems the only audio signal the CarPlay board outputs is an analog one, which is why it's necessary to select the AUX input. If it did provide a USB output, presumably the board's designer would have used that instead of AUX for the audio. [Caveat! All of my thoughts are based on what I've read in these posts, because I haven't yet gotten my hands on any of these CarPlay units (my iSudar board is on order). My apologies if I'm re-plowing old ground you guys have already turned over.]

The fact is it provides USB port and usb is digital. USB can carry video and audio both ways.

My guess is the kernel is not setup to send audio via USB. However konkab did say it looks like the kernel is setup with relevant drivers for a USB audio card. So I assume from this the board can route audio down the USB if it detects an audio card. It's then just how do you route that audio back to the PCM3.1 (IPod emulator again which konkab has and could of the chip is not write protected lift the code off)

Old 08-11-2021, 05:17 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by don16
The fact is it provides USB port and usb is digital. USB can carry video and audio both ways.

My guess is the kernel is not setup to send audio via USB. However konkab did say it looks like the kernel is setup with relevant drivers for a USB audio card. So I assume from this the board can route audio down the USB if it detects an audio card. It's then just how do you route that audio back to the PCM3.1 (IPod emulator again which konkab has and could of the chip is not write protected lift the code off)
Are you saying the CarPlay board provides a digital signal output along with an analog output? Where is that - on one of the cables going through the chassis?
Old 08-11-2021, 05:41 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
If that's so, then why not connect those analog signal wires instead to an analog-to-USB adapter which then plugs into the iPod port? Why would that not solve the audio problem? Or, did someone try that already without success?
I am pretty sure that this is what @konkab documented in post #880 (successfully), an aux jack was added, and then a cable from there to an analog-to-USB adapter which then plugs into the iPod port.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:29 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by will_atl
I am pretty sure that this is what @konkab documented in post #880 (successfully), an aux jack was added, and then a cable from there to an analog-to-USB adapter which then plugs into the iPod port.
Thanks for the reference to konkab’s post #880! I know I read it, but there’s been so much to assimilate, being a newbee to this rather massive thread, I had forgotten about it. So it seems from what Konkab did the problem is solved, isn’t it? Just rewire the quad connector, get an analog to USB adapter like he says to run the audio to the USB (iPod) input, and select the iPod input rather than Aux on the PCM. Am I still missing something?
The following users liked this post:
will_atl (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:18 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Konkab - about your Quadlock rewiring diagram in Post #880 for the iSudar board, I like it! Now I understand that the audio signals from the CarPlay module exit the PCM chassis on one of the wiring harnesses, rather than along a ribbon cable to the motherboard as I was originally thinking was the case.

When my iSudar board comes (in about 2 weeks), I'm going to rewire my iSudar-supplied Quadlock interrconnecting harness along the same lines but a little differently from what you did. Instead of creating a separate analog jack from the CarPlay module's red/white/black wires and then running a separate cable to the USB port, I'm going to disconnect those 3 wires from the module's female Quadlock (like you do) and connect them instead to the male end that connects to the Factory Quadlock. That will send the analog signals to the AUX port that sits next to the USB port in your photo (as in my car). That way, all I'll need to do to couple the AUX output of the module to the iPod USB input of the PCM is connect the USB port in the glove box through a USB adapter and a male-to-male mini-jack adapter directly to the AUX port in the glove box. No need to run any wires through the car, and it's a super-clean installation. Yes, I'd lose the Aux connection as an analog input from the glove box to the PCM and won't be able to do an analog-digital comparo, but that doesn't matter (given your tests) and I've never, ever used it anyway. And then, of course, to hear CarPlay I'll just select the iPod input rather than AUX on the PCM.

Last edited by LSR; 08-12-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Korsar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by konkab
I asked seller to send the firmware before I order the unit to “make sure” they provide software support. I couldn’t find direct manufacturer yet.

I have already unpacked the firmware and can confirm frame rate is limited to 30 fps for both CP and AA, but it can be easily modded.

Another workaround for audio input issue is to use external Android box with CP / AA support that connects to usb of our units. CarPlay inside of CarPlay. The Android box is capable of handling two bluetooth connections at a time. One for incoming data (your phone) and another for outgoing (audio streaming to pcm). But that’s a quite dirty workaround.
Hi. I’am also from Russia, Moscow.
Is it possible to speak with you by phone? Want to install CarPlay from AliExpress (ISUDAR) and have some questions.

And what you think about this model:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_AZt11e
Old 08-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Konkab - about your Quadlock rewiring diagram in Post #880 for the iSudar board, I like it! Now I understand that the audio signals from the CarPlay module exit the PCM chassis on one of the wiring harnesses, rather than along a ribbon cable to the motherboard as I was originally thinking was the case.

When my iSudar board comes (in about 2 weeks), I'm going to rewire my iSudar-supplied Quadlock interrconnecting harness along the same lines but a little differently from what you did. Instead of creating a separate analog jack from the CarPlay module's red/white/black wires and then running a separate cable to the USB port, I'm going to disconnect those 3 wires from the module's female Quadlock (like you do) and connect them instead to the male end that connects to the Factory Quadlock. That will send the analog signals to the AUX port that sits next to the USB port in your photo (as in my car). That way, all I'll need to do to couple the AUX output of the module to the iPod USB input of the PCM is connect the USB port in the glove box through a USB adapter and a male-to-male mini-jack adapter directly to the AUX port in the glove box. No need to run any wires through the car, and it's a super-clean installation. Yes, I'd lose the Aux connection as an analog input from the glove box to the PCM and won't be able to do an analog-digital comparo, but that doesn't matter (given your tests) and I've never, ever used it anyway. And then, of course, to hear CarPlay I'll just select the iPod input rather than AUX on the PCM.
I’d be very interested in this approach. Could you document with diagrams and photos? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2021, 02:23 PM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR

Interesting approach, makes sense, but I’d keep factory ports functional.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:31 PM
konkab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Korsar
Hi. I’am also from Russia, Moscow.
Is it possible to speak with you by phone? Want to install CarPlay from AliExpress (ISUDAR) and have some questions.

And what you think about this model:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_AZt11e
Send me a private message.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:34 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR

I actually really like this idea, still going to need to cut the wiring and solder new wiring with correct pins on. But would make for a cleaner install but then again you would lose factory aux connection.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:19 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I have done the wiring part this evening and fitted everything back together. Purchased a cheap usb to aux from amazon but it doesn't work on the PCM3.1 really not wanting to splash out £50 plus delivery to UK. Any chance you can suggest any other cheaper alternatives.

I did manage to get a few pictures of the wiring before I hacked it all up as per your wiring diagram new, all works now via aux port and aux cable direct from board.
Hi Don16 - I just came across your post. I believe I may know why the USB to Aux adapter you purchased on Amazon doesn't work for you. You probably purchased a USB digital input to analog aux output converter, the type you'd use to adapt your headphone's audio jack to plug into your PC's USB port to listen to music. In other words, the conversion is most likely going from USB digital to Aux analog. The expensive adapter that konkab mentioned, however, operates in the reverse. It takes an analog input and converts that to a USB digital output. I've spent the past 45 minutes looking for that type of an ADC (not DAC) adapter on Amazon and haven't found one yet. I'm going to do a wider google search and look on some other sites for something like what konkab found, but less expensive. If I fail at that, I'm just going to order what konkab found and call it a day.

Last edited by LSR; 08-12-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:01 AM
konkab
Advanced

For those how are going to use AUX to USB adapter, my recommendations would be:
  • Set EQ to flat Custom instead of flat Standard. For some reason they sound differently, and Custom sounds more accurately.
  • Don't make the volume higher than 32, otherwise you will get distortion.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:45 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

I actually really like this idea, still going to need to cut the wiring and solder new wiring with correct pins on. But would make for a cleaner install but then again you would lose factory aux connection.
Yes, I'll lose the factory aux input connection. But that doesn't matter to me, and more importantly I won't have to run any AUX wires through the car to the USB input. That's important for me because my install is going into a 911 and the Aux and USB ports in my car are in the glove box, not in the center console like in the Cayenne and Macan. The area behind and above the 911's glove box, although next to and literally 2 inches away from the PCM, is notoriously difficult to access. When I have the PCM out, maybe I'll see an easy way to run a short wire over to the glove box. But even if I do, the USB and Aux ports are mounted to the glove box and therefore move with the glove box (unlike in the Porsche SUVs, where these ports are located fixed to a non-movable surface). So I'd need to come up with a way to mount the extra Aux wire to or near the inside of the glove box without causing the wire to flop around in the glove box (risk of pulling it), without having it bind when the glove box is closed (risk of damaging it), and without having to drill a hole into the glove box (which I would prefer not doing). I'll probably decide how to proceed once I get the PCM out.

Last edited by LSR; 08-13-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:12 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by konkab
That's great!

There's an adapter from Isudar, which should do the same, but they told me it won't work with PCM 3.1. But I think it should.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002822676770.html
iSudar may be right. Its adapter appears to be a DAC converting digital USB input to analog Aux out. What you purchased, and which works, is an ADC converting analog AUX input to digital USB out.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:16 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Purchased same interface as you from a UK based seller £47 delivered. I did think about trying the one from AliExpress but its a painful return process if it does not work. I hope the audio is as good as you say it is.

Just to add after some research I have found that if you search for USB to AUX NTG5 you will probably find a local seller selling something similar. From what I have read it is basically a USB storage emulator.
Hi Don16. How is that adapter you purchased from the UK working for you? Is there a delay? Good sound quality finally?

Last edited by LSR; 08-13-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )