Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 10:04 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kari
If you got the burn success message, then most likely the update went fine. If you are already on the latest version before using this customized firmware, I don't think you will see any change to version numbers...
My version is from 01/21/21, and I haven‘t the latest official Joyeauto firmware (from March) installed, so I assumed this customized version would definitely be visible as upgrade

Old 06-23-2021, 04:21 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 309 Likes on 255 Posts

The screen freezes after burn success till you restart the carplay unit. Some fuse points shut down right away on turning off the ignition and others stay on.. atleast for a while. Looks like you used the latter, so the easy way is to pull the fuse you tapped for carplay and plug it back in...
Carlink will freeze randomly too. It happened this morning. I tried rebooting, reconnecting, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off one etc etc. Finally gave up, and went to office. Later in the day, went for lunch meeting and Carlink was working fine.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is showing the same 1/21/21 date....

Does anyone know if this is the March firmware? Or should it actually show a date in March?
Old 06-25-2021, 04:19 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Originally Posted by ziptbm
Mine is showing the same 1/21/21 date....

Does anyone know if this is the March firmware? Or should it actually show a date in March?
I asked Joyeauto support and they wrote me that indeed there was a March version for Android. So 1/21 is the latest software for iPhones.

Perhaps this is the reason why konkab‘s version still shows 1/21 as current version…

Last edited by marcus_v; 06-25-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:05 AM
rafamrqs
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto Connect

Once setup, the mobile connects automatically on many occasions but at times i've found that while bluetooth and wifi are connected, i still do not see carplay. Initially, i was not sure if there was a connection issue but later on i found that i could activate that by going to Setup > Device > Bluetooth > Connected devices > <phone name> on the joyeauto pcm screen and then turning the Carplay option ON. But for that hiccup, its been smooth so far.
Mine always fails to auto connect to Airplay. I have forgotten the original PCM BT connection and my phone does connect to BT and Wi-fi of IDCORE, but won't auto launch CarPlay, making me go to the settings>bluetooth>paired devices>my phone>CarPlay. When I click on it, it launches.
Anyone has gotten around this?
Old 06-30-2021, 10:55 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Originally Posted by rafamrqs
Mine always fails to auto connect to Airplay. I have forgotten the original PCM BT connection and my phone does connect to BT and Wi-fi of IDCORE, but won't auto launch CarPlay, making me go to the settings>bluetooth>paired devices>my phone>CarPlay. When I click on it, it launches.
Indeed I have a solution finally. It just needs an NFC tag (you get them at Amazon for just a few cents).

I have a Qi charging mat where I place my iPhone in. I sticked the NFC tag on top of this mat (so that the iPhone can still be charged).

Now switch to the iOS app shortcuts and add a new personal automation. Choose „when I tap an NFC tag“ (I‘m German, don’t know if I’ve correctly translated it).

Now you can scan the tag and give it a name, e.g. Carplay.

Next, choose „configure Bluetooth“ and let it switch on.

Now you have to be in your car near the JoyeAuto box. After configuring bluetooth you can define a playback destination. In a menu you see the available bluetooth devices - if you’re not in your car, you won’t see the JoyeAuto box.

It is now important to choose the JoyeAuto bluetooth name (default name is „JoyeAuto“).

if you want, you can now add to open a playlist in Carplay or Map or let Siri read the morning briefing whatever.

Now deactivate the checkbox that asks you to confirm execution. Tap „ready“.

Unlock your iPhone. Place it on the charging mat (or anywhere else where your NFC tag is located), let the iPhone touch the tag - and voila! There you go :-)

(First posted in pff.de in German, sorry for cross posting).

Last edited by marcus_v; 06-30-2021 at 10:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by marcus_v:
Dr. G7 (06-30-2021), yetti96 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:58 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

If you click the "i" (in the circle) next to the bluetooth configuration of the joyeauto, does it show a slide button that allows you to turn Carplay on or off?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:13 PM
marcus_v
Track Day

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
If you click the "i" (in the circle) next to the bluetooth configuration of the joyeauto, does it show a slide button that allows you to turn Carplay on or off?
Do you mean the arrow in the circle? It lets you choose how to configure bluetooth, to be switched on or off - in this case it’s „Ein“ which is „On“.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:00 PM
rafamrqs
Track Day

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
I´ll test it today!
The following users liked this post:
marcus_v (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

That is strange that it always fails. Are you using an iPhone? As mentioned in my previous posting, sometimes the connection gets "forgotten." On next ignition cycle, stars up correctly. In the meantime, nothing will fix it.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:50 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by marcus_v
Indeed I have a solution finally. It just needs an NFC tag (you get them at Amazon for just a few cents).

I have a Qi charging mat where I place my iPhone in. I sticked the NFC tag on top of this mat (so that the iPhone can still be charged).

Now switch to the iOS app shortcuts and add a new personal automation. Choose „when I tap an NFC tag“ (I‘m German, don’t know if I’ve correctly translated it).

Now you can scan the tag and give it a name, e.g. Carplay.

Next, choose „configure Bluetooth“ and let it switch on.

Now you have to be in your car near the JoyeAuto box. After configuring bluetooth you can define a playback destination. In a menu you see the available bluetooth devices - if you’re not in your car, you won’t see the JoyeAuto box.

It is now important to choose the JoyeAuto bluetooth name (default name is „JoyeAuto“).

if you want, you can now add to open a playlist in Carplay or Map or let Siri read the morning briefing whatever.

Now deactivate the checkbox that asks you to confirm execution. Tap „ready“.

Unlock your iPhone. Place it on the charging mat (or anywhere else where your NFC tag is located), let the iPhone touch the tag - and voila! There you go :-)

(First posted in pff.de in German, sorry for cross posting).
Interesting that it just needs an NFC tag.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:27 AM
marcus_v
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
That is strange that it always fails. Are you using an iPhone? As mentioned in my previous posting, sometimes the connection gets "forgotten." On next ignition cycle, stars up correctly. In the meantime, nothing will fix it.
You describe another issue. In rafamrqs scenario it seems to be exactly like in my case - iPhone, JoyeAuto, PCM 3.1, connection always failing so that Carplay has to be setup every time. And obviously we are not the only ones. Unfortunately, JoyeAuto support is not helpful.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:57 PM
rafamrqs
Track Day

Originally Posted by marcus_v
You describe another issue. In rafamrqs scenario it seems to be exactly like in my case - iPhone, JoyeAuto, PCM 3.1, connection always failing so that Carplay has to be setup every time. And obviously we are not the only ones. Unfortunately, JoyeAuto support is not helpful.
Yes! I gave up hahaha I just got used to go into settings, paired devices and iniciating CarPlay through the unit. At least I don't need to get my phone out of my pocket to do so. At first I was going in the bluetooth connection on my phone, and that was a pain in the a.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:36 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

on your iPhone in wifi settings is it set to auto join networks? try paring bluetooth so it initiates the wifi connection, then go into settings and make sure that network is set to auto join.

not sure this is the problem, but something to check.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:49 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi all. My 2013 CD got totaled a couple weeks ago, so I pulled my Carplay retrofit out, and have installed into my new to me 2016 CD.

Everything went great (much easier the second time around). I am running into one issue. When I make calls the people on the other end cannot hear me. This occurs if I connect via PCM or Carplay. If I put everything back to stock (unhook the carplay module) callers can hear me. I have checked the mic for the carplay unit and no issues there.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )