Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 04:51 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by don16
My expectations are high from what you said about audio quality! 😂

​​​​​The adaptor I purchased is exactly the same as yours from the looks of it. I think the cheaper ones on alliexpress the ones that are like 10-15£ such as this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/_vpo8nw

The one I ordered is this one:
https://braybrooks.co.uk/product/mer...o-aux-adapter/ which looks identical to yours? Good thing is if it is rubbish I can send it back.
I just ordered this gizmo from Amazon for all of $17:
Amazon Amazon
. It looks like it's an ADC converting analog to digital. I'll need a USB-C to USB-A converter (got that), but other than that it looks like it might work. "Might" because although it's an ADC converting analog to digital, if the format of the digital out is unrecognizable by the PCM it won't work. I'm hopeful, but we'll see when the converter arrives. If it doesn't work, free Amazon return so no biggie.

Last edited by LSR; 08-13-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:01 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I just ordered this gizmo from Amazon for all of $17: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1. It looks like it's an ADC converting analog to digital. I'll need a USB-C to USB-A converter (got that), but other than that it looks like it might work. "Might" because although it's an ADC converting analog to digital, if the format of the digital out is unrecognizable by the PCM it won't work. I'm hopeful, but we'll see when the converter arrives. If it doesn't work, free Amazon return so no biggie.
I don't think it will work. As it won't have the setup to trick pcm into thinking it's an IPod.

I received mine today and it works as intended and shows up on PCM as IPod and audio works. It's definitely still not as good as cd but it is a lot better than it was.

However, I noticed at high volumes I was getting a hum which I thought may have been because of the aux cable running from CP module to armrest. So based on your idea, I removed pcm, pulled aux cable out, and created a direct connection from CP module aux to to factory aux port. I am definitely liking this cleaner solution/install and audio quality seems better (better balance between L and R) but I'm still getting some ground loop buzzing.

This buzzing has to be because of wiring from CP module as before I messed if I used aux normally via pcm I didn't get any buzzing.

Buzzing isn't bad and is a lot less than before but still noticable at higher volumes. I have ordered a ground loop isolator to sit in between aux connection.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:06 PM
don16
Instructor

Based on the look aux to usb I reckon it is the same as the cable from ISUDAR: https://a.aliexpress.com/_vezCIy

I defo recommend buying this to try, I was to impatient and didn't want to wait so paid a lot more to get it locally.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:17 PM
don16
Instructor

Here's some before photos (I had already stripped heat shrink from cables). And some after photos.

Before changing with insulation removed

After rewiring

After rewiring

After rewiring

After rewiring

After rewiring

Some things to note:

1.The wiring and pins at the quadlock end don't exist! So you will still need to purchase the wiring and pins to complete this task. Just buy a cheap 40 pin vw audi quadlock which you can remove the pins and wiring from and transplant to your quadlock.
2. Some solder skills required to solder the wires together from CP AUX wiring to quadlock new transplanted wiring.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:56 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

I don't think it will work. As it won't have the setup to trick pcm into thinking it's an IPod. …
Tricking the PCM into thinking an iPod is attached is, to my understanding, not how the PCM works at the USB input. This is what my manual says about the USB input:

“You can connect a USB memory stick or a USB MP3 player containing audio files to the USB interface of the PCM in the center console. You can use it to:
  • play audio data from your USB stick (permitted formats: MP3, WAV, WMA and AAC-LC),
  • copy audio data to the jukebox,
  • download data from the Sport display as well as
  • download data from the PCM logbook.”
So as long as the analog data from the CP board is output by the adapter in an appropriate one of these formats, I think it may work. I have used the USB port in the past to play wav files and mp3s from a flash stick, and I believe I have even played FLAC files through the USB (though, my memory on that is hazy). In any event, we shall see what happens when I get the adapter. I’ll have it in a couple days, long before my iSudar board arrives, and will try to play some analog audio through it and the USB port. If the music plays, it’ll work for the CP board. If it doesn’t work, I’ve returned stuff to Amazon before. :-) I will post the results of my tests in a few days.

Last edited by LSR; 08-13-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:12 AM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
Tricking the PCM into thinking an iPod is attached is, to my understanding, not how the PCM works at the USB input. This is what my manual says about the USB input:

“You can connect a USB memory stick or a USB MP3 player containing audio files to the USB interface of the PCM in the center console. You can use it to:
  • play audio data from your USB stick (permitted formats: MP3, WAV, WMA and AAC-LC),
  • copy audio data to the jukebox,
  • download data from the Sport display as well as
  • download data from the PCM logbook.”
So as long as the analog data from the CP board is output by the adapter in an appropriate one of these formats, I think it may work. I have used the USB port in the past to play wav files and mp3s from a flash stick, and I believe I have even played FLAC files through the USB (though, my memory on that is hazy). In any event, we shall see what happens when I get the adapter. I’ll have it in a couple days, long before my iSudar board arrives, and will try to play some analog audio through it and the USB port. If the music plays, it’ll work for the CP board. If it doesn’t work, I’ve returned stuff to Amazon before. :-) I will post the results of my tests in a few days.

I am just telling you what the aux to usb appears as on the PCM3.1 when connected.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:37 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

I am just telling you what the aux to usb appears as on the PCM3.1 when connected.
Yup - my PCM shows the same thing. It’s just marketing.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:28 PM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
Yup - my PCM shows the same thing. It’s just marketing.
@konkab have you found a way or worked out where the static/buzzing noise is coming from at high volumes, factory aux doesn't do this so I assume its to do with the CP loom and implementation of aux ground?

Last edited by don16; 08-15-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:35 PM
don16
Instructor

So after extended listing it is better than the CP normal implementation of aux but it is still is not as good as CD nor Aux BT. Just sounds ever so slightly harsh on the highs.

I really think we need to revisit doing this digitally, it would be great if @konkab could load the relevant firmware/Drivers in to the kernel to allow us to atleast use a USB audio transmitter, then we could transmit to Aux BT.
​​​​​
Old 08-15-2021, 02:13 PM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

@konkab have you found a way or worked out where the static/buzzing noise is coming from at high volumes, factory aux doesn't do this so I assume its to do with the CP loom and implementation of aux ground?
It seems the noise is coming from the adapter, not from the module. If you take out the cable from the adapter you would still hear the noise.
So after extended listing it is better than the CP normal implementation of aux but it is still is not as good as CD nor Aux BT. Just sounds ever so slightly harsh on the highs.

I really think we need to revisit doing this digitally, it would be great if @konkab could load the relevant firmware/Drivers in to the kernel to allow us to atleast use a USB audio transmitter, then we could transmit to Aux BT.
​​​​​
Yeah, digital signal would be perfect. USB audio drivers are already there so we should probably test it with some cheap usb audio cards. My guess is that PCM chip (not related to Porsche PCM) based audio cards should work.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:08 PM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by konkab
It seems the noise is coming from the adapter, not from the module. If you take out the cable from the adapter you would still hear the noise..
Not coming from aux to usb adaptor. I had this issue before when routing via factory aux, if I unplug AUX cable going in to aux to usb adaptor, noise goes, also if I plug my phone in to the aux to usb adaptor noise also goes. Definitely seems to be coming from CP module or there loom.

Last edited by don16; 08-16-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:09 PM
don16
Instructor

It seems the noise is coming from the adapter, not from the module. If you take out the cable from the adapter you would still hear the noise.

Yeah, digital signal would be perfect. USB audio drivers are already there so we should probably test it with some cheap usb audio cards. My guess is that PCM chip (not related to Porsche PCM) based audio cards should work.
I know but nearly all convert from digital to audio so not so much an option. Would be super if we could route audio out of the attached USB cable via Bluetooth or directly attaching aux port in armrest..

Last edited by don16; 08-15-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:17 PM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I know but nearly all convert from digital to audio so not so much an option. Would be super if we could route audio out of the attached USB cable via Bluetooth or directly attaching aux port in armrest..
First I would test a cheap usb audio card that outputs analog signal and see if it works.

If it does, we could test a Bluetooth usb audio card, which still system should recognize as audio card, not Bluetooth transmitter. I found this one: https://a.aliexpress.com/_A5hyY0

One thing I don’t like is that with Bluetooth option I need to go and select AUX BT every time I get in the car. To solve this we could use Bluetooth iPod adapter like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-16-2021, 12:48 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Default Alternate New CP Connection Schema

Basically we need to restore factory AUX wires and make an AUX cable out of red, white and black wires coming from the module.

Hi konkab - When I get my iSudar board, I'm considering trying the following modification of the iSudar Quadlock cable, in which the original factory connection from the AUX port in the car to the PCM is restored and the analog output of the iSudar board is simply spliced in:

This differs from your solution of restoring the original factory connection of AUX-to-PCM and then coupling the CP analog output via a separate cable and mini-jack to the adapter and USB input. And it differs from my earlier idea of coupling the CP output to the factory side of the Quadlock harness instead of the PCM and leaving the audio inputs of the PCM unconnected. The above new third approach might provide the best of both worlds because it: (1) restores the original factory Aux input-to-PCM as in your new connection schema, and (2) allows connection of the AUX-USB adapter directly between the factory-installed AUX and USB ports in the car without running a separate mini-jack as in my previous idea. This new scheme could work if the input impedance of the AUX pins on the PCM is sufficiently large so as not to load the analog signal coming from the iSudar board. But before I do this (when my iSudar board arrives), I'm wondering whether you might have tried this approach and discovered it doesn't work as well as your mini-jack approach.

Last edited by LSR; 08-16-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:05 PM
dan of montana
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I check this thread once a month or so. Keep up the good work! I'll be here ready to follow the instructions once the best path is determined

But seriously, nice work on this everyone.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )