Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021 | 02:18 PM
aa8023
5th Gear

Originally Posted by foodbiker
Can't seem to upgrade the JoyeAuto unit to this new and awesome custom firmware!

1) I accessed the unit under the carpet and the USB extension wire -- which normally my Apple Lightning cable is attached to.

2) I formatted two jump drives a few times using my Mac (I tried both MS-DOS and ExFat), as for whatever reason the unit couldn't find the ISPBOOOT.BIN file. I did confirm that "USB" in the main screen (where it showed Android, CarPlay, etc.) lit up in blue, so the USB was working. (BTW...As the System says USB 0 and USB 1, is there a second USB connection I'm not aware of?)

3) Eventually (I'm not sure as to which PC-based formatting I used), eventually it did in fact "see" ISPBOOOT.BIN and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade doing a complete upgrade. I clicked "YES" and the screen went black. I know that black screen was only supposed to be that way for 1-2 minutes, but we're talking over 5 minutes in this case with absolutely no change.

You can imagine that I was trying not to freak out, as I didn't want to brick my unit...especially as you NEVER, EVER want to interrupt a firmware upgrade. Long story short, after 5+ minutes -- I shut the system down and restarted the PCM. THANKFULLY, it wasn't bricked and CarPlay showed up again. I tried again, giving it a solid 3 minutes...but still no luck.

Any thoughts/suggestions, please let me know.

Yes you have to format the drive for master boot record on Mac, the drive is being formatted in GUID instead of MBR that's probably why it is not appearing.

The following users liked this post:
foodbiker (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021 | 03:28 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

A HUGE thanks, @aa8023 ! Can't believe I screwed up the MBR part of the formatting process. Works a treat and snappy too!

Now only if I can get the right settings back so CarPlay works wirelessly again. I'm sure I'll find it...LOL!

Cheers and thanks again, guys. Will definitely stay tuned for future homespun updates.
Old 05-28-2021 | 10:40 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Am thinking about tackling this myself. I’m pretty good at building PCs so I assume install on this won’t be too challenging? My biggest concern is being able to route the wires the way they need to be as I can be a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to that. My audio door I normally would take this to wanted over $1300 installed which felt a little steep to me.
Old 05-28-2021 | 11:18 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I’m trying to decide between the two modules, nmautomotive or the joyeauto. Seems like the joyeauto with this software update could be the better one now? Initially I was thinking nmautomotive, but is that one slower and not as good of a display? Does the nmautomotive unit have better sound quality?
$330 for the joyeauto vs $650ish for the nmautomotive is a huge difference and not sure the cost is justified?

I guess I don’t fully understand how the audio part works. iPhone pairs with the unit via wifi to transmit the display, and then do you keep Bluetooth on the phone connected to the pcm to play audio through the pcm? I mainly listen to Sirius or Apple Music. Not sure if anyone could chime in more specifically on that please?

Thank you in advance for any direction.
don16 (05-29-2021)
Old 06-02-2021 | 01:46 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I’m trying to decide between the two modules, nmautomotive or the joyeauto. Seems like the joyeauto with this software update could be the better one now? Initially I was thinking nmautomotive, but is that one slower and not as good of a display? Does the nmautomotive unit have better sound quality?
$330 for the joyeauto vs $650ish for the nmautomotive is a huge difference and not sure the cost is justified?

I guess I don’t fully understand how the audio part works. iPhone pairs with the unit via wifi to transmit the display, and then do you keep Bluetooth on the phone connected to the pcm to play audio through the pcm? I mainly listen to Sirius or Apple Music. Not sure if anyone could chime in more specifically on that please?

Thank you in advance for any direction.
Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit video. It can transmit audio, but it's quite compressed (Bluetooth 5 should address this but it's not relevant here, as Joyeauto cannot do BT5). Anyways, bluetooth on your iPhone is used simply to establish a handshake connection to the Joyeauto unit, at that point they both negotiate a switch to Wifi, whereas the Joyeauto unit broadcasts a wifi signal as an access point, and your iPhone connects to it. The video signal from your phone is simply proxied into the PCM. It runs in parallel, almost like a second screen on your PC/Mac. The audio signal from your phone is also transmitted over the wifi connection into the Joyeauto box. However, at that point they take different wired paths onto their way into the head unit. Audio enters the head unit as an Aux connection, which is why you need to select AUX as the source when using Carplay. It's also why you have dummy plug the aux port in the storage bin between the seats.

I have had situations where everything got confused, and my iPhone would connect directly to the PCM via a native bluetooth connection, but I found it didn't sound as good.

Last edited by LittleBitBent; 06-30-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2021 | 01:00 PM
BW369
Advanced

Good morning, and happy Thursday! I'm new to this forum and located close to Minneapolis. I was wondering if anyone in this thread would know of an independent repair shop in Minnesota that could do this install in a 2013 Cayenne S. I haven't received the vehicle yet, but proactively gathering information so I could get this installed for when the car gets delivered (hopefully next week). It's a CPO vehicle so I also wanted to seek your advice to enquire whether it affects the CPO warranty. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-03-2021 | 02:39 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BW369
Good morning, and happy Thursday! I'm new to this forum and located close to Minneapolis. I was wondering if anyone in this thread would know of an independent repair shop in Minnesota that could do this install in a 2013 Cayenne S. I haven't received the vehicle yet, but proactively gathering information so I could get this installed for when the car gets delivered (hopefully next week). It's a CPO vehicle so I also wanted to seek your advice to enquire whether it affects the CPO warranty. Thanks in advance for your help.
Since this requires disassembling the PCM and patching into the electronics there, it would certainly void the warranty on the PCM at least.
Old 06-03-2021 | 02:44 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Since this requires disassembling the PCM and patching into the electronics there, it would certainly void the warranty on the PCM at least.
Thanks so much for your kind response. I'll refrain from doing anything for the remainder of the CCPO warranty.
TXCOMT (06-11-2021)
Old 06-04-2021 | 12:01 PM
teenwolf80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mistervoo
Thanks, I had looked at the left side as a possibility but the wire isn't long enough it seems. Behind the glove compartment looked ideal. I searched for cabin filter replacements but only finding videos on the earlier Cayenne models.
Originally Posted by konkab
Hey everyone, I'm happy to share a new firmware update for Joyeauto owners.

The update drastically improves smoothness of CarPlay experience by 2x and activates 60 frame per second capability instead of previous 30 FPS. It makes CarPlay much more responsive.

It's based on the latest original Joyeauto firmware from 2021-03-26 and includes all my previous fixes. I flashed the firmware on my unit, tested it and can confirm it works fine.

2021-5-10.custom.v2:
- Enables 60 FPS CarPlay capability

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yd4b7f2k3...BOOOT.BIN?dl=0

CarPlay Software Update Instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MBc7FQVCA

Use at your own risk.

After firmware upgrade your settings will be reset to default. To restore your settings, you'll need to:
1. Go to Settings -> Carplay -> Enter 1123 -> Select Porsche
2. Go to Settings -> Smartphone -> Reboot
3. Setup wireless CarPlay again.
4. Restore other settings like EQ, Display, etc.

If the JoyeAuto unit is just a branded version of the generic made from the same factory, would this update potentially work for other integrations? I’m about to install this CarPlay unit from GTA Car Kits (https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...911-2012-2016/), but definitely want access to this upgrade!
Old 06-05-2021 | 07:36 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

For info:

Our unit (NM Automotive) and the Joyeauto unit utilise completely different hardware and software. Obviously, they both work, what we would say is our unit is better integrated with the car OEM systems, the screen responsiveness is crisper and the sound quality is better. We do have a good number of customers who have switched from Joyeauto to our kit. Predominantly, we sell our kit because the support from the manufacturer and our support to customers is better than Joyeauto offer. But with all these things it's down to customers to make an informed choice as to what they are looking for from a product, in this case it's lower price with limited support or a higher price for a better product with better support. We don't think there is a definite right or wrong

Thanks
Nick
NM Automotive

Last edited by wizard263789; 06-05-2021 at 08:30 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by wizard263789:
BW369 (06-20-2021), ecostellodo (06-06-2021), HMonk (01-14-2024), lml999 (06-14-2021), marinerbc (06-05-2021), TXCOMT (06-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2021 | 10:05 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wizard263789
For info:

Our unit (NM Automotive) and the Joyeauto unit utilise completely different hardware and software. Obviously, they both work, what we would say is our unit is better integrated with the car OEM systems, the screen responsiveness is crisper and the sound quality is better. We do have a good number of customers who have switched from Joyeauto to our kit. Predominantly, we sell our kit because the support from the manufacturer and our support to customers is better than Joyeauto offer. But with all these things it's down to customers to make an informed choice as to what they are looking for from a product, in this case it's lower price with limited support or a higher price for a better product with better support. We don't think there is a definite right or wrong

Thanks
Nick
NM Automotive

Very well said Nick, here i am another happy early adapter of NM Automotive unit since June/2018 , still running fine with iPhone 12Pro running iOS 14.6. for the record you did reply to my request for support a month ago or so.
by the way i find that with the new iPhone/s that uses the new lightning / USB-C cable it is better to use that cable with a good quality USB-C / USB adapter. rather than using older lightning/USB cables
looking forward to try the new apple music lossless audio codec .with your unit.

while there is no right or wrong there are for sure good and better/best at least in my opinion.
Thank you Nick
TXCOMT (06-11-2021)
Old 06-06-2021 | 06:25 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizard263789
For info:

Thanks
Nick
NM Automotive
Thanks Nick, I'm interested in ordering. What's the approximate delivery time to Boston, Massachusetts? Does the pricing on your website include shipping, or is that extra?

Thanks!

Lee
Old 06-06-2021 | 06:29 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lml999
Thanks Nick, I'm interested in ordering. What's the approximate delivery time to Boston, Massachusetts? Does the pricing on your website include shipping, or is that extra?

Thanks!

Lee
if you send us an email to nick@nmautomotive.co.uk we can answer any questions etc.

Thanks
Nick

Old 06-06-2021 | 07:01 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This just occurred to me... I am in the process of hardwiring a Valentine V1 radar detector, Gen 2 with remote display…

Is anyone using the V1 IOS app on Carplay? Might be a nice, clean alternative to the remote display…
Old 06-06-2021 | 10:59 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

I can't recommend Nick and NM Automotive enough. I ordered and installed my kit almost exactly one year ago and ran into some issues with my install (all on my end!). Nick was all over it-- there is absolutely no way I would have been able to successfully complete the setup without him.

You all already know the answer, here-- this is a message board of Porsche owners-- you get what you pay for.
TXCOMT (06-11-2021)

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )