Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziad Abou-Chalha
I tried the volume and no luck. I went through the installation twice making sure every cable is tight. Only thing is factory reset I will try that hopefully it solves the issue. Thank you.
glad it turn out to be the cables "ribbons" in your case.,
Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM
hedgieSF
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made in China? How sure are you of quality here? Would like to do something like this but dubious as to how the quality of an aftermarket unit from China will fare, especially after a few years. Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pitrow, I couldn't get mine to work after many hours sending pictures and video back to the company they finally said that the unit must be bad. So i sent it back to Hong Kong which cost me $132.00 but I haven't received my new unit. Go to AliExpress and check out your order information. You only have 15 days to get a refund. I filled out their form on the 15th day and still haven't heard a word so I'm very skeptical. I my just have to write off the $384 for the original and the $132 for shipping and call it a HUGE mistake. On the other hand many have had success with the product.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 PM
nauti1us
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any recommendations for sellers of wired only setups? Everything on AliExpress seems to be wireless with the weird 3.5mm adapter in the armrest - I'm usually charging my phone in the car anyway, so wired is my preferred route,

Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 PM
pitrow
Track Day

Originally Posted by hedgieSF
Made in China? How sure are you of quality here? Would like to do something like this but dubious as to how the quality of an aftermarket unit from China will fare, especially after a few years. Thanks
Just finished my install over the holiday weekend. I'm not an electronics expert, but I'd say the quality of the parts feels pretty solid and it's also pretty easily reversible back to stock. The quality of the instructions that come with it on the other hand are pretty bad. I'm pretty handy, but without the various threads on Rennlist around this mod it would've been a tough install on my own. There were some key things you have to do that are just flat out not mentioned anywhere on the one sheet they included in the package.

That being said, it's also not a stock integration. I installed this on my wife's '13 Panamera and I just purchased my first Porsche a couple weeks ago which is a '17 Cayenne S E-Hybrid. The stock integration is understandably much more fluid on my '17 using CarPlay than this retrofit is on her '13 with the PCM 3.1. It's a workaround so it takes a little more getting in/out of CarPlay, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty straightforward. She figured it out pretty quickly and I'd say it was easier for her than dealing with inputs/source switching for TV/Home Theater stuff for example.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:45 AM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I finally received my missing stand off screws and ribbon cables. Battled last night getting everything installed with the SAT board, today I got it in the car and powered up, it seems to work! I still have to properly route the mic and tuck everything in its place.

Has anyone removed the Windshield Pillar Trim before? I read instructions about a Torx behind the Airbag logo, but not on mine! So far scared to go any further, but seems like a good spot to run the mic cable.

cheers,

Misha
Old 07-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Kevin858
7th Gear

Installed the JoyeAuto unit this week and have some good news and bad news.

Good news: the product works as advertised!

Bad news: I’m now having problems with my PCM rebooting itself every 4:30 minutes.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far to fix the problem with no avail:
  • return fully back to stock
  • reinstall the JoyeAuto product
  • removed the HD from the PCM

Unfortunately, the PCM appears to have been damaged during the install. My hope was that I might’ve somehow corrupted the HD, but removing it did not resolve the issue.

JoyeAuto tried to help with troubleshooting, but I think this goes a bit beyond their expertise. I’m still in contact with them, but I'm not sure there’s more they can do.

My next steps (since warranty is out of the question)
  • try to remove XM radio and other add on modules like BT to see if I can isolate the root cause. Since I don’t need those features with CarPlay working
  • Try to buy a replacement unit used

If anyone has any other ideas I haven’t thought of, please chime in! Thx.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin858
If anyone has any other ideas I haven’t thought of, please chime in! Thx.
Depending on the cost of a replacement PCM and getting it coded for your VIN it might be cheaper to send your current unit to Becker Autosound for repair as they are the factory authorized repair facility. Give them a call and they'll tell you how much to repair it or possibly be able to tell you if it can be corrected w/o sending it in.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

It bums me to read such bad experiences after installing the Chinese CarPlay modules. I had good luck so far with my Cayenne, my wife’s GLE, and daughter’s A3. All of them work flawlessly, but if my PCM ever fails, I think I’d get one of these instead

Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
It bums me to read such bad experiences after installing the Chinese CarPlay modules. I had good luck so far with my Cayenne, my wife’s GLE, and daughter’s A3. All of them work flawlessly, but if my PCM ever fails, I think I’d get one of these instead

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFywudiDP5M
Wow, interesting, this is my first time seeing this option. I wonder what factory controls/settings you give up with this implementation.
For what it's worth, I also emailed about pricing and can share here.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
Wow, interesting, this is my first time seeing this option. I wonder what factory controls/settings you give up with this implementation.
For what it's worth, I also emailed about pricing and can share here.
Check this out

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...y-cayenne.html
Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 AM
davidci
7th Gear

Default Naviplus

Ordered the naviplus for my 2011 PTT. Will have it installed in a couple weeks. I liked that it did not mess with my xm, and also relying on China for support concerned me (no offense to Joy, they were responsive during the purchase process)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Awesome, thanks! For what it's worht, they quoted me $990 shipped.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I finally got my JoyeAuto unit installed. Its working great, and I swear the sound is better playing music off my phone vs the stock bluetooth implementation. I'm super happy so far, really updated my car.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS maps

Will the map still display in the dash (instrutment cluster)? Can that map be a map from another Navigation software, like from your phone?

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )