Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks all for any input as at 66 pages long it's a bit confusing in here getting to the details.

I don't really care if I install Joye, NM or Isudar, as long as I have the following conditions met. So if any option is not ideal, that would be great to know before ordering.

1. Seamless user experience for a basic commuter driver.

- When she gets into the car, I'd ideally like it to autoconnect to her iphone and fire up wireless CarPlay without touching anything. I realize she might need to press a button and that's fine if it's the only way.
- From there, I need only 3 things working together in harmony. Waze, SiriusXM and Phone. I need to have Waze notifications active and the ability to change stations and volume via the steering wheel. I don't know if the SiriusXM app via CarPlay will work the same as the built-in Sirius where she can scroll channels, if so, the app is totally fine as music is music. And I need her to be able to make and answer calls with ease. It's about a 70 minute commute each way, and I just needed the basic functions to work together smoothly.

Will Isudar do that? If not, will NM or Joye? Of course I'm all for the simplest and least expensive option, but a few hundred dollars is not worth the complaints if things don't work smoothly.

I'm trying to search through threads when i have time, but always welcome input from owners to speed that process up. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:59 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Thanks all for any input as at 66 pages long it's a bit confusing in here getting to the details.

I don't really care if I install Joye, NM or Isudar, as long as I have the following conditions met. So if any option is not ideal, that would be great to know before ordering.

1. Seamless user experience for a basic commuter driver.

- When she gets into the car, I'd ideally like it to autoconnect to her iphone and fire up wireless CarPlay without touching anything. I realize she might need to press a button and that's fine if it's the only way.
- From there, I need only 3 things working together in harmony. Waze, SiriusXM and Phone. I need to have Waze notifications active and the ability to change stations and volume via the steering wheel. I don't know if the SiriusXM app via CarPlay will work the same as the built-in Sirius where she can scroll channels, if so, the app is totally fine as music is music. And I need her to be able to make and answer calls with ease. It's about a 70 minute commute each way, and I just needed the basic functions to work together smoothly.

Will Isudar do that? If not, will NM or Joye? Of course I'm all for the simplest and least expensive option, but a few hundred dollars is not worth the complaints if things don't work smoothly.

I'm trying to search through threads when i have time, but always welcome input from owners to speed that process up. Thanks again.
What I can say is that you probably be better off with a solution that is not Isudar, as other solutions have been tested through time and may have less issues.

But because these are all aftermarket solutions, there is no seamless integration for any of them. You will always have to press a few buttons to get to CarPlay and audio input required. With any of these modules, you could experience connectivity issues that will require some work to restore.

Because Isudar is so fast, about 99% of the time, CarPlay will come on when I turn the car on. With Joye, since is slower, it CarPlay doesn’t come on as automatic.

If you install the Joye, it is recommended that you deactivate the PCM AUXBT, as it will interfere and you will have connectivity issues.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there is no such thing as an infalible aftermarket system that will provide you with the uneventful experience you are seeking.

They will be mostly problem-free, but you could experience an issue from time to time.

That had been my experience with both Joye and Isudar, for what is worth.

Last edited by Santirx; 09-09-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Thanks, been doing some research and it seems like they all suffer from the steering wheel control issue if you have SiriusXM via PCM and Waze via CarPlay because they're using two separate inputs. The SiriusXM app should fix that, though it won't be as elegant as the dash integrated PCM control. Just a consequence of aftermarket solutions really. I think I can get everything needed via CarPlay though which should be mostly good enough.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:26 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone have issues with Joyeauto wireless Android Auto?

I keep getting black screen when I try to connect through wireless Android auto
Old 09-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't care about Sirius XM but I would like to keep the diamond button (below the volume ****) on the wheel for "next track" when I'm playing Spotify.

How bad are we talking when it comes to "bad audio quality" too? I would really love CarPlay but it seems fairly compromised still.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:19 AM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, been doing some research and it seems like they all suffer from the steering wheel control issue if you have SiriusXM via PCM and Waze via CarPlay because they're using two separate inputs. The SiriusXM app should fix that, though it won't be as elegant as the dash integrated PCM control. Just a consequence of aftermarket solutions really. I think I can get everything needed via CarPlay though which should be mostly good enough.
Please explain what you mean?
Old 09-10-2021, 05:21 AM
don16
Instructor

Btw for you Sirius FM users you can fit the ISUDAR/Ebilaen board on top of the Sirius FM module, you just need 3 extra M2.5 Standoffs (if they didn't include 6) to double the height.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:17 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by don16
Please explain what you mean?
My understanding is that if you use the SiriusXM CarPlay app via the iPhone instead of Sirius via PCM, you should have full steering wheel volume control all the time. The downside is that you'll lose the ability to scroll through channels via the steering wheel, but it's a trade-off she'll have to deal with. At least that's my understanding from what I've seen.

Also, good tip about the standoffs, will order up a small kit just incase.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
I don't care about Sirius XM but I would like to keep the diamond button (below the volume ****) on the wheel for "next track" when I'm playing Spotify.

How bad are we talking when it comes to "bad audio quality" too? I would really love CarPlay but it seems fairly compromised still.
I connect wireless, via WiFi to CarPlay, but then connect either via wire to iPod input or AUXBT audio input for audio. That allows
me to preserve higher audio quality, also preserve the steering wheel function, while I still enjoy CarPlay. The only issue is that I don’t hear turn by turn navigation from Waze or Apple Maps. I can setup Google Maps in a way that I can hear turn by turn navigation when in that setup.

I mostly use Waze during my commute, and even before I had CarPlay, I would mute turn by turn navigation. I already know where I’m going and I don’t need the voice telling me every two minutes to turn here and there…. I just use other Waze relevant information about road and traffic… as well as the other Waze goodies. So, I don’t mind this compromise.

When I go to places I don’t know, I either use Google Maps, or I actually use the PCM GPS map application in the background, using CarPlay and Waze in the foreground. I can hear turn by turn from the PCM…. Workarounds…

Last edited by Santirx; 09-10-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:51 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Disappointing to see that there are still integration issues
Old 09-10-2021, 11:13 AM
don16
Instructor

Managed to get better video and explanation of my interference issue. I am now wondering if I have a faulty board since I still get interference after separating the antennas from the looms and swapping the cables which handle audio to studio quality double shielded cables. Also note the android auto volume control makes no difference to the interference or the white noise. Most who don't listen to loud music probably wont even notice the issues! but I do listen to Loud music so it is kind of annoying, especially on quiet parts of songs.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
I connect wireless, via WiFi to CarPlay, but then connect either via wire to iPod input or AUXBT audio input for audio. That allows
me to preserve higher audio quality, also preserve the steering wheel function, while I still enjoy CarPlay. The only issue is that I don’t hear turn by turn navigation from Waze or Apple Maps. I can setup Google Maps in a way that I can hear turn by turn navigation when in that setup.

I mostly use Waze during my commute, and even before I had CarPlay, I would mute turn by turn navigation. I already know where I’m going and I don’t need the voice telling me every two minutes to turn here and there…. I just use other Waze relevant information about road and traffic… as well as the other Waze goodies. So, I don’t mind this compromise.

When I go to places I don’t know, I either use Google Maps, or I actually use the PCM GPS map application in the background, using CarPlay and Waze in the foreground. I can hear turn by turn from the PCM…. Workarounds…
Thanks, very helpful and sounds like this would work as I want. I can't stand Google or Waze telling me turn-by-turn so that's always muted as it is.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:10 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey all. Looking to order up a Wireless CarPlay kit for the wife's '13 CD. Looking right now I see what looks like the same unit in several different places...
AliExpress for $380
Amazon for $420
NMAutomtive for $585

They all say JoyeAuto, so I'm guessing there's no difference other than price?? Any info on which option is best? Or just go with cheapest?

Thanks
from my research
NMAutomotive seems to use different parts (higher / better quality? idk but maybe)
I wish I understood better why/if it is better hardware / unit to justify the price difference.
that said every post I have seen agrees NMAutomotive support is top notch

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/

Old 09-10-2021, 03:17 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by don16
Btw for you Sirius FM users you can fit the ISUDAR/Ebilaen board on top of the Sirius FM module, you just need 3 extra M2.5 Standoffs (if they didn't include 6) to double the height.
I received an iSudar board and before i ordered it I told iSudar of the problem with Sirius/XM clearance and asked them to include sufficient standoffs to clear the Sirius board in my shipment. They said they would so I ordered it, and they did. They seem very responsive to user feedback.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:20 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
from my research
NMAutomotive seems to use different parts (higher / better quality? idk but maybe)
I wish I understood better why/if it is better hardware / unit to justify the price difference.
that said every post I have seen agrees NMAutomotive support is top notch

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/
@konkab has a good post about quality problems with Joye Auto, including about it having a truncated display that does not include a line of pixels.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )