Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Hi all. My 2013 CD got totaled a couple weeks ago, so I pulled my Carplay retrofit out, and have installed into my new to me 2016 CD.

Everything went great (much easier the second time around). I am running into one issue. When I make calls the people on the other end cannot hear me. This occurs if I connect via PCM or Carplay. If I put everything back to stock (unhook the carplay module) callers can hear me. I have checked the mic for the carplay unit and no issues there.

Any suggestions?
Sorry to hear about your totaled 2013.
When you connected the Carplay did you give "permission to access microphone?" I remember when I connected mine (it was Carlink 2) there were many permission to accept. Also, here are some hints from the all knowing oracle (google) "If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again. "
Old 07-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Sorry to hear about your totaled 2013.
When you connected the Carplay did you give "permission to access microphone?" I remember when I connected mine (it was Carlink 2) there were many permission to accept. Also, here are some hints from the all knowing oracle (google) "If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again. "
Thanks. I figured it out. I actually forgot to connect to the Bluetooth for the Carplay. Once I did that, everything worked as it should. Of course I had taken everything back out first before I realized that.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Thanks. I figured it out. I actually forgot to connect to the Bluetooth for the Carplay. Once I did that, everything worked as it should. Of course I had taken everything back out first before I realized that.
Excellent. Considering everything going on, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, CAN computers, microwaves, cell signals, etc. etc. I am actually surprised these work at all.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:32 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 07-16-2021, 04:52 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by don16

very nice. im looking to do this myself along with the ssd hard drive upgrade.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:28 PM
don16
Instructor

Does the custom firmware only work on joyauto units? Has anyone tried the firmware on any other carplay modules?

​​​I really wish android auto would let you choose the Bluetooth device to send the audio down rather than forcing it to use android auto Bluetooth which in these cases is aux which is such poor audio quality in comparison to pcm Bluetooth.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 AM
konkab
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Does the custom firmware only work on joyauto units? Has anyone tried the firmware on any other carplay modules?

​​​I really wish android auto would let you choose the Bluetooth device to send the audio down rather than forcing it to use android auto Bluetooth which in these cases is aux which is such poor audio quality in comparison to pcm Bluetooth.
It should work only on units that are identical to Joyeauto's unit, like IDCORE, UNIQUE AD and some other. Installing it on other units will probably brick them.

Speaking about audio routing, this is a software peculiarity in iOS / Android that keeps switching audio output to CarPlay / Android Auto and this behaviour not customizable.

The thing is that the quality of original audio coming FROM the units is good, and the issue is in AUX implementation in PCM itself. Any audio source connected to AUX in PCM results in poor audio quality. I'm still looking for workarounds for this. There's actually one that works: if you have factory USB port, you can use AUX to USB adapter that basically converts analog audio to digital and emulates iPod connection. The one the I've got performs really well, but there's a slight background noise which becomes noticeable when sound is muted and volume is high.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:00 AM
konkab
Advanced

This unit looks far more advanced than Joyeauto's. No external box, no external mic, no external fuse / cable, really nice! How does it perform? Does it show 60 FPS? It's interesting how it wakes up / boots up after you unlock the car.

I'm considering replacing my Joyeauto unit with this one, and then I could try to make a custom firmware for this unit based on the experience I have with Joyeauto. Would be nice if we could identify manufacturer and see if they have any firmware updates already.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:17 AM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by konkab
This unit looks far more advanced than Joyeauto's. No external box, no external mic, no external fuse / cable, really nice! How does it perform? Does it show 60 FPS? It's interesting how it wakes up / boots up after you unlock the car.

I'm considering replacing my Joyeauto unit with this one, and then I could try to make a custom firmware for this unit based on the experience I have with Joyeauto. Would be nice if we could identify manufacturer and see if they have any firmware updates already.
Apart from the audio quality issue it performs really well. It connects to android auto quickly and reconnects almost immediately when jumping out for 5 minutes then jumping back in.

It's nice that it uses factory mic and it even seems to hand call off to factory pcm somehow. (I said call xxx, whilst audio source was in fact radio, it picked up command and call audio came through fine).

Yes no need for fuse wiring or anything like that. Pretty much plug and play as per video.

How would I determine the FPS? Also how do I know who manufactures this unit?
​​​​​​
​​​How does the usb to aux work exactly? Do you have an iPhone? On the macan there is a USB port in the armrest but it does not work with android phone apart from charge it. I think its the file system layout which causes the issue.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:42 AM
konkab
Advanced

Apart from the audio quality issue it performs really well. It connects to android auto quickly and reconnects almost immediately when jumping out for 5 minutes then jumping back in.

It's nice that it uses factory mic and it even seems to hand call off to factory pcm somehow. (I said call xxx, whilst audio source was in fact radio, it picked up command and call audio came through fine).

Yes no need for fuse wiring or anything like that. Pretty much plug and play as per video.

How would I determine the FPS? Also how do I know who manufactures this unit?
If CP / AA interface doesn't look as smooth as your phone, then it probably doesn't have 60 fps enabled. If you could take a video of AA UI in 60 fps on your phone, it would help to understand.
​​​​​​
​​How does the usb to aux work exactly? Do you have an iPhone? On the macan there is a USB port in the armrest but it does not work with android phone apart from charge it. I think its the file system layout which causes the issue.
It's AUX to USB, not vice versa. You plug the adapter to the USB port in the armrest, plug a 3.5 AUX cable into it and select "iPod" source in PCM. It takes analog signal from 3.5 jack, converts it to digital signal and passes to USB. But for that of course you need to get that AUX cable from your unit somehow, because in Joyeauto it's present.

Also, if you like bluetooth audio quality you may consider buying a AUX to Bluetooth adapter like this one: http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/aux-generator/btx-aux/
Old 07-20-2021, 09:12 AM
don16
Instructor

Ah okay I see what you mean. Unfortunately I don't think either of these would really make much difference.

I assume joyauto and similar to mine route audio out from their board back in to aux on back of pcm. Not sure how these adaptors will make a different if I'm being honest.

So version of events as I understand it

Bluetooth audio output from phone connects to android auto unit Bluetooth - audio routes out of android auto unit via cable and then routes audio in to back of pcm aux input. The only way to improve the audio would be to pick up the audio out of the android auto unit and send it to pcm via another method such as BT aux (much higher quality sound) or via USB somehow.

I'll grab a video later at 60fps
Old 07-20-2021, 09:16 AM
don16
Instructor

Image of software version on the module
Old 07-20-2021, 09:54 AM
konkab
Advanced

Ah okay I see what you mean. Unfortunately I don't think either of these would really make much difference.

I assume joyauto and similar to mine route audio out from their board back in to aux on back of pcm. Not sure how these adaptors will make a different if I'm being honest.

So version of events as I understand it

Bluetooth audio output from phone connects to android auto unit Bluetooth - audio routes out of android auto unit via cable and then routes audio in to back of pcm aux input. The only way to improve the audio would be to pick up the audio out of the android auto unit and send it to pcm via another method such as BT aux (much higher quality sound) or via USB somehow.

I'll grab a video later at 60fps
Exactly! We need to find a proper way to avoid using PCM AUX input. Both options I suggested above kinda solve the issue:
- AUX to USB: unit audio out (analog) -> adapter -> PCM USB input;
- AUX to Bluetooth: unit audio out (analog) -> adapter -> PCM Bluetooth input.

Yes, we take analog output from the unit, not digital, because there's no way to do this. Analog only. But, by doing this we avoid using PCM AUX input, which is the source of poor audio quality issue. Using PCM USB or PCM Bluetooth inputs gives us much better quality.

In my experience, using the AUX to USB adapter gives audio quality comparable to disc: great lows and great clarity. As a con: slight background noise on high volumes while muted.

I understand taking DIGITAL signal for the unit and passing it as DIGITAL signal to PCM would be the best solution, but how do we achieve that?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:53 AM
konkab
Advanced

I managed to get the latest firmware dated 2021-07-16 from these guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oye2fwgbp...07-16.rar?dl=0. I don't know what's changed, but you can try installing it and see any difference.

The firmware format is the same as Joyeauto's, that means I'll be able to mod it and maybe enable 60 FPS or something else. Btw, I've ordered the unit already.

Last edited by konkab; 07-21-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:49 AM
don16
Instructor

Originally Posted by konkab
I managed to get the latest firmware dated 2021-07-16 from these guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oye2fwgbp...07-16.rar?dl=0. I don't know what's changed, but you can try installing it and see any difference.

The firmware format is the same as Joyeauto's, that means I'll be able to mod it and maybe enable 60 FPS or something else. Btw, I've ordered the unit already.

​​​​​​That's great, how did you find the firmware? Any links direct to page of manufacture?

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )