Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
If you want it to look super factory, I designed a grommet you can 3D print that will let you adapt a round USB flush mount port into that oddly unused hole under the glovebox next to the 12V power port.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4148495
I saw this - nice project - but I do not have that power port bump on my 2011 S
The following users liked this post:
Nhirsch (03-09-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 02:08 PM
tluv
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone recommend a shop in either the San Francisco Bay Area or Southern California area for installation? I'm terribly inept.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Scott C
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Selling my Tesla-Style head unit

Don't mean to cross-post, but this thread has many more views than McCheese's Tesla-Style display thread.

If anyone is considering this, but would rather go to the Tesla Style screen, I'm selling mine (presently installed in a 2011 CTT in NV.). Trading in the Cayenne for a 718 GTS later this summer and taking it back to factory in the meantime.

I'll let it go for $850 and reset it to factory before I ship it out. PM me.

FWIW, I've been using it with a CarlinKit to just run Android Auto and Apple Carplay rather than use it as a built in. 10.4" Carplay is really nice.
Note: the CarlinKit isn't for sale, but avail @ Amazon for ~$55 (wired) or ~$100 (wireless).

-SC
Old 03-01-2020, 10:55 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone had this done in Kansas City?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I installed the kit from NMAutomotive in my 991 last week. Easy to follow instructions, and Nick was answering emails immediately. I’m going to get another one for the Cayenne. One bonus of his kit is the unit is powered from the factory wiring harness. No need to splice into the fuse box.

Streetmasters (03-27-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Nhirsch
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wireless CarPlay retrofits on AliExpress

I see the one most people are using = Joyeauto but also see a Unichip for more money but has GPS navigation using “Smartauto” box instead. Can anyone comment on that box versus Joyeauto? Usage is on 2012 958 turbo with satellite radio. do want wireless. Thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Nhirsch
I see the one most people are using = Joyeauto but also see a Unichip for more money but has GPS navigation using “Smartauto” box instead. Can anyone comment on that box versus Joyeauto? Usage is on 2012 958 turbo with satellite radio. do want wireless. Thanks
I'm pretty sure that the Unichip model is the same setup that the Carplay unit that is sold by Nick at NM Automotive uses. I bought the Joyeauto and am regretting it. I wish I'd paid the extra for the NM setup. I've had issues with the Joyeauto and getting support has been difficult at best and nonexistent at worst. This is probably mostly due to the Corona virus shutting down China, but when I do get a response from them it is useless and I keep having to repeat the request. The problem is the LVDS cable they use is a POS. I have been requesting to buy a replacement for 2 months and at first I got automatic replies that they would be back to work on 2/15/20 and now that that is past they keep telling me that they will respond in a couple days. I've gotten that response 6 times now. Nick at NM is supposed to be superior in his support and I have actually communicated with him a couple times and he has been great. I'm still holding out hope with the Joyeauto unit, but at some point I will just throw it in the garbage and buy from Nick.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:05 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I'm pretty sure that the Unichip model is the same setup that the Carplay unit that is sold by Nick at NM Automotive uses. I bought the Joyeauto and am regretting it. I wish I'd paid the extra for the NM setup. I've had issues with the Joyeauto and getting support has been difficult at best and nonexistent at worst. This is probably mostly due to the Corona virus shutting down China, but when I do get a response from them it is useless and I keep having to repeat the request. The problem is the LVDS cable they use is a POS. I have been requesting to buy a replacement for 2 months and at first I got automatic replies that they would be back to work on 2/15/20 and now that that is past they keep telling me that they will respond in a couple days. I've gotten that response 6 times now. Nick at NM is supposed to be superior in his support and I have actually communicated with him a couple times and he has been great. I'm still holding out hope with the Joyeauto unit, but at some point I will just throw it in the garbage and buy from Nick.
Dumb down the verbiage, they get confused. I used to have a web store and all my stuff was being manufactured in China. Talking to them was terrible until I cut out all the words that make grammar work..

So, instead of " the LVDS cable is bent and doesnt show the screen properly."

Say " gray cable not work"

I'm dead serious with this.....

After figuring out that it's easier for them to understand me like that, I just continue with broken English and it worked out great.
Galion (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 12:46 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

This is the unit I installed, and it's been solid for two years now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...27424c4dzHwFYu

I have the wired version though, the new one is the wireless version.

The seller responds quickly, and I've had no issues with them.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
This is the unit I installed, and it's been solid for two years now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...27424c4dzHwFYu

I have the wired version though, the new one is the wireless version.

The seller responds quickly, and I've had no issues with them.
I bought from “sinairyu” and it was the same as Joyeauto just a bit cheaper. It even had joyeauto as the BT name. So they are all the same as far as I can tell. Mine working fine, and has wireless.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16252789

Still only $323.99
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000550506920.html
Old 03-11-2020, 12:52 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
I bought from “sinairyu” and it was the same as Joyeauto just a bit cheaper. It even had joyeauto as the BT name. So they are all the same as far as I can tell. Mine working fine, and has wireless.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16252789

Still only $323.99
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000550506920.html
Mine does not come up with Joyeauto as BT, so I think it may be slightly different. Same basic setup, different manufacturer/software.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:54 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought from Joyeauto on Aliexpress. $395. No issues with the install, but it took me the better part of a day to bounce back and forth between this post, youtube videos, and the single instruction sheet. Occasionally the Carplay screen will go dark when I'm dealing with phone calls. Probably some handoff issue with PCM and Carplay. During the install, I tried to check the Joyeauto web site for additional instructions, but I couldn't get in with the joyeautotech password others have posted and no one ever responded to my WhatsApp or email support requests.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:36 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
you can buy generic LVDS ribbon cables for next to nothing online... count the pins and double check the connectors

I did a quick search for this one and came up with one that appears close at first glance
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223585992852
Old 03-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
you can buy generic LVDS ribbon cables for next to nothing online... count the pins and double check the connectors

I did a quick search for this one and came up with one that appears close at first glance
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223585992852
I have several extra ribbon cables, but I'm looking for the LVDS out cable. Actually getting Joyeauto support to respond but even the simplest english seems to be getting lost on them. First they send me a link to a brand new whole carplay system and tell me to submit the order for $400 and they will adjust the price. I then said no, I need just the cable. Then they send me a link to some kind of cable for a MB which is not at all what will work. All this even though the entire discussion thread starts with and repeatedly states this is for a Porsche PCM 3.1 Carplay.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Nick from NM Automotive mentions in his FAQ that if "... the kit is fitted into a vehicle without DAB you may notice a drop in FM reception quality/performance."
Did any of you notice bad FM reception after the installation?
Thanks, Alexander

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )