Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
No clue what you're talking about........

I have JoyAuto from AliExpress. Was like $300USD. Does Android and iOS. Both wired and wireless works for both platforms. Install was real easy internally. Only difficult thing for me was snaking wires down the center console since I put the wired USB into the center storage. Other than that there was NOTHING difficult in the process. The diagram they provide maybe ****ty English, but the wires are all correct. Video online takes care of the rest. Only think I check consensus here was which empty fuse slot everyone is using on pass side panel.

No need to pay anyone extra, not difficult overall, the system does have its quirks. Like... I use my PCM for music (siriusXM) while streaming the maps to my PCM, which works fine. But since it's all wireless stream, sometimes when I get a call, it goes to the JoyAuto bluetooth and I have to mess with changing it to PCM bluetooth. This is my only complaint.
My understanding is that the Joyeauto unit only supports Android mirroring, not Android Auto which is entirely different.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:44 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
My understanding is that the Joyeauto unit only supports Android mirroring, not Android Auto which is entirely different.
Not sure of older models but the Joyeauto/ Sinariyu device supports wired Android Auto and wired + wireless Apple carplay - wireless android auto was expected but not sure if it is launched. The default is android mirroring but you can easily change that (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16324555 ) . I have used wired android auto as well as apple carplay in both wireless and wired mode..they are working fine so far. I didn't bother following up if they updated the firmware for wireless android auto as i was using the cable to charge anyway..
Old 03-28-2020, 10:57 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by kari
Not sure of older models but the Joyeauto/ Sinariyu device supports wired Android Auto and wired + wireless Apple carplay - wireless android auto was expected but not sure if it is launched. The default is android mirroring but you can easily change that (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16324555 ) . I have used wired android auto as well as apple carplay in both wireless and wired mode..they are working fine so far. I didn't bother following up if they updated the firmware for wireless android auto as i was using the cable to charge anyway..
Just to add - I updated the Sinairyu carplay box today using the latest firmware from Joyeauto (12 MAR 2020) - my earlier version was 21 OCT 2019. Update went smooth and barely took 5 minutes. Just note that you have to disconnect the power from the carplay box (I pulled the red wire that ends with a fuse from the fuse box and plugged it back in) after the update is successful or wait till the power switches off as the screen freezes with a 'Welcome' message till you cycle the box. The upgrade reset all my phone connections and I had to configure and pair my phones afresh. Could not find any immediate difference except that I found an option for iOS mirroring that i think was not there before (will try that out sometime). I have a Pixel 2 and I tried wireless android auto. The first time I had to connect with the USB cable but after that i disconnected the cable and was still able to use android auto in wireless mode . Will monitor and update if i find any quirks. So, to continue from my previous post - I was able to use iOS Carplay and Android auto in wired+wireless mode
Old 03-29-2020, 11:04 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 259 Posts

Just to add - I updated the Sinairyu carplay box today using the latest firmware from Joyeauto (12 MAR 2020) - my earlier version was 21 OCT 2019. Update went smooth and barely took 5 minutes. Just note that you have to disconnect the power from the carplay box (I pulled the red wire that ends with a fuse from the fuse box and plugged it back in) after the update is successful or wait till the power switches off as the screen freezes with a 'Welcome' message till you cycle the box. The upgrade reset all my phone connections and I had to configure and pair my phones afresh. Could not find any immediate difference except that I found an option for iOS mirroring that i think was not there before (will try that out sometime). I have a Pixel 2 and I tried wireless android auto. The first time I had to connect with the USB cable but after that i disconnected the cable and was still able to use android auto in wireless mode . Will monitor and update if i find any quirks. So, to continue from my previous post - I was able to use iOS Carplay and Android auto in wired+wireless mode
Thanks for this - based on your experience I may do the update to my Sinairyu unit. It has been reliable for me on iOS. Keep us posted!
Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
You will not find any one answer as to which fuse to use, as every car is unique in the functions that are wired into the fuse box. The best way is to use a voltmeter and find an open fuse slot that is powered on only when the car is on vs open power all the time. Feeding the fused wire from the Joyeauto harness is super easy. Pop the trim piece above the glove box off and there are 3 screws to remove and then the wire can be fed behind the plastic above the glove box. You will understand once you remove the trim piece. This leads right over to the passenger side fuse box.
As for tools needed. I have become expert at removing the PCM and installing this unit (Don't ask why!). A good quality torx screwdriver set is recommended, Trim removal tools recommended and for the tricky air vents I have found that I use a very small and thin bladed flat head screwdriver works and I also have a $5.00 pick set I got from Harbor Freight and I use the straight pick. Use these 2 on the bottom 2 clips in the vent and I find that the vent pops right out.

Lastly I purchased a 3' flush mount usb extension on Amazon and mounted it in the console next to the 12v plug. This was by far the hardest part of the install.
Maybe dumb question, but the USB plug, do you need this if you're using wireless iPhone for Apple CarPlay? Is it just to charge the phone?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:49 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by EricGT3
Maybe dumb question, but the USB plug, do you need this if you're using wireless iPhone for Apple CarPlay? Is it just to charge the phone?
Yes, mainly for wired carplay while keeping the phone charged though you can use wireless carplay and keep the phone charged via reguar usb as well. You can also use usb pen-drives for audio/video playback
There is another option to interchange the USB lines between the PCM3.1 and the carplay unit - that way if you do not use the native pcm3.1 usb in the center console (to play music from a USB stick or copy songs to the jukebox) then you can repurpose that for the carplay unit. Just interchange the cables between the CP_USB connection on the carplay unit and the corresponding USB connection on the PCM3.1 unit - see attached pic for PCM3.1 USB point..

EDIT: This only works if the colors of carplay USB connector and native PCM USB connector match. The joyeauto CP_USB point is black (HSD A?) whereas the native USB is brown? (HSD F?) - so one will need a cable to bridge the two.

Last edited by kari; 04-02-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:25 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ziptbm
Makes sense. Could you share a photo of where You put the wired usb? Or share the link if I missed it somewhere.

Seems like one of the big differences is that unichip systems don’t require anything with the fuse box.

Lastly, any other tool kit recommendations for someone about to acquire everything to get the job done?

I'll take a pic tomorrow. As for tools. Use a snake to pull wires through the center so you don't have to pull all that apart. For disassembling any plastic on these cars, get the plastic tool kit that has all the pry tools
Old 03-30-2020, 02:37 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, mainly for wired carplay while keeping the phone charged though you can use wireless carplay and keep the phone charged via reguar usb as well. You can also use usb pen-drives for audio/video playback
There is another option to interchange the USB lines between the PCM3.1 and the carplay unit - that way if you do not use the native pcm3.1 usb in the center console (to play music from a USB stick or copy songs to the jukebox) then you can repurpose that for the carplay unit. Just interchange the cables between the CP_USB connection on the carplay unit and the corresponding USB connection on the PCM3.1 unit - see attached pic for PCM3.1 USB point..

Good idea. I'll try that when my unit arrives. Only use the original USB plug in the console for charging. So connecting to carplay would be ideal.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:32 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

So to confirm. Unplug the USB from the PCM and plug that into the carplay unit? How much slack is there on that wire? I have my carplay unit under the glove box. Wonder if it will make it that far, or if they sell extensions for those plugs.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joyeauto - specific questions from successful installs

1. Has anyone found another fuse port other than ACC (49 on left/us driver side) that works for Joyeauto?
  2. What’s been the best placement of the CarPlay unit in the vehicle? Is it behind the PCM, somewhere near glove box, or somewhere else?
  3. Does the USB swap above with the Joyeauto unit? Heard the USB cable length could be an issue, so curious if this would just mean the usb extension from the unit would now do jukebox and vice versa.

Last edited by ziptbm; 04-02-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:31 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alright, I received the unit yesterday and did the surgery on the PCM. Hooked it all up today and it's working, but I'm not able to get sound of the carplay unit going on my system. I think it's something to do with the "AUX" on the sources for audio. AUX is not an option on when I select the source button. Only AM, FM, SAT, Disc, Bluetooth Phone. I have plugged in the little jack that came with the unit into the aux jack in the center console box. Anyone have any ideas?

And the USB connector from the PCM unit is not matching the USB plug on the Joyeauto unit. It's slightly different. Cannot plug it directly on my unit.

Thanks if anyone can help.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:38 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Okay - just finished the install. A few notes of things I ran into, and some things I did.

1. Overall, it is a fairly simple install. The instructions are not great, but if you use this thread and the videos, and spend time walking through the steps it makes sense.
2. After I had everything all hooked up, everything was working, but there was no sound from the CarPlay. The source needed to be on Aux, but I did not have that option. You need a CD to activate Aux from the Disc Options. The issue I ran into is that the ribbon cable for the CD/Player must not have been fully seated because I could not insert a CD. Took everything apart and reseated the cable.
3. At this point, I hooked everything back up, but I was getting an error when trying to insert the CD - Disc Not Locked (or Seated) or something like that. Could not really find anything on the error. At that point, I thought the PCM needed to be fully seated ( had it out of the dash for testing). I did that, and it still not not work. I reset the PCM with the durametric and it sucked the CD right in. I was able to enable Aux and all was good. Sound was working.
4. I installed the box under the glovebox, above the black panel. Fits well, and easy to get to if needed.
What CD are you talking about? I have the same sound problem. How do I activate the AUX from Disc options??

Old 04-02-2020, 05:01 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Alright, I received the unit yesterday and did the surgery on the PCM. Hooked it all up today and it's working, but I'm not able to get sound of the carplay unit going on my system. I think it's something to do with the "AUX" on the sources for audio. AUX is not an option on when I select the source button. Only AM, FM, SAT, Disc, Bluetooth Phone. I have plugged in the little jack that came with the unit into the aux jack in the center console box. Anyone have any ideas?

And the USB connector from the PCM unit is not matching the USB plug on the Joyeauto unit. It's slightly different. Cannot plug it directly on my unit.

Thanks if anyone can help.
Re: AUX, assuming you've checked your settings on the PCM to ensure AUX is enabled? I know you can disable AUX BT (which I have done on my unit PCM).

Re: USB Connector, I ran into the same issue. I think it'd be possible to swap the connectors (pull off the different colored lock on the bottom of each and then swap the heads), but my install took WAY longer than expected, so I lacked the patience to try it. It was super easy to snake the cable down the passenger side foot well near a charger, so I just did that instead.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:11 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ziptbm
Re: AUX, assuming you've checked your settings on the PCM to ensure AUX is enabled? I know you can disable AUX BT (which I have done on my unit PCM).

Re: USB Connector, I ran into the same issue. I think it'd be possible to swap the connectors (pull off the different colored lock on the bottom of each and then swap the heads), but my install took WAY longer than expected, so I lacked the patience to try it. It was super easy to snake the cable down the passenger side foot well near a charger, so I just did that instead.
Maybe dumb question.... how do I check or change the settings on the PCM for AUX???
Old 04-02-2020, 05:13 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Maybe dumb question.... how do I check or change the settings on the PCM for AUX???
In the PCM menus, there's an option somewhere for enable/disable AUX and BT AUX. It's prob Source, but I'm not 100% certain without checking out the unit. Either way, just hit every button and then hit option and go into the various options. Somewhere you'll have the ability to uncheck/check AUX and BT AUX in the menus.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )