Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020 | 05:14 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, will try later...
Old 04-02-2020 | 10:15 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ziptbm
In the PCM menus, there's an option somewhere for enable/disable AUX and BT AUX. It's prob Source, but I'm not 100% certain without checking out the unit. Either way, just hit every button and then hit option and go into the various options. Somewhere you'll have the ability to uncheck/check AUX and BT AUX in the menus.
There's no option on my PCM to enable or disable AUX or BT AUX.
Old 04-02-2020 | 10:50 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EricGT3
What CD are you talking about? I have the same sound problem. How do I activate the AUX from Disc options??
Eric, in order to enable the Aux source, you need to do it from the CD source menu. The CD source menu is only available if you have a CD (compact disc) in the PCM. Any CD will work (I used Def Leppard). Once you have the CD in the PCM, you can get to the CD options, there you can enable the Aux sources. It's a very odd thing, and took me forever to figure out.

Something else that I ran into is that when I first connected the CD/DVD unit back to the PCM, I did not have the connection right, and it would not accept the CD, so I had to take it out and reattach the ribbon cable.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
EricGT3 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020 | 11:10 PM
Loulouton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EricGT3
There's no option on my PCM to enable or disable AUX or BT AUX.
Watch here:
Old 04-02-2020 | 11:39 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found it! OK, I'm dumb!! But it's all working now. So far so good. Installation took probably 2-3 hours total. I find the worse part was dealing with the wiring of all the stuff and getting the PCM back in. Otherwise the other parts are not difficult. Just watch all the videos on youtube.

As Kris Murphy said, I didn't have a CD in, so I couldn't access the Options menu while selecting "Disc" on the PCM.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04-08-2020 | 08:31 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

I have finally given up on the Joyeauto and taken everything out. After months of not being able to use it because the LVDS cable got damaged due to a very inferior stress relief fitting at the box and having to wait for months for them to send me a replacement cable at my cost. I finally received it and got everything put back in and working????? Except now I lost the backup camera function on the PCM. Oh forgot it only worked when after putting it into drive it would then come on for about 100'. I had to confirm this was a Joyeauto issue by pulling the PCM out again and putting the stock 48 pin plug back in and not patched through their 48 pin assembly. when the PCM was wired stock everything works fine.

This in addition to the Carplay either working or not. It would work sometimes after turning off the car and sometimes it would not. So after about 6 hours of trying everything to get it working the last 3 days I have finally had enough. I'm glad some of you have a system that works for you, but for me it has just been one aggravation after another. So it is back in the box and on the shelf in the garage. If anyone wants a cheap maybe functional Carplay unit, let me know. I'll sell it for a very discounted price. Maybe it will work for someone else.
Old 04-08-2020 | 09:03 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

I had other issues with my PCM before this started, so it's possible that this all goes back to that, but it works fine now, so I just can't understand these issues.
Old 04-08-2020 | 03:14 PM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Purchased the JoyeAuto earlier this year but just got around to installing on my 15 CD this week. After thoroughly reviewing this thread, watching the videos and finally figuring out how to move the orange fiber optic wires I thought I had it completely installed. I have power at the PCM but no sound or video...there is an intermittent sound like it is trying to eject a dvd. I double checked the power connection on the joyeauto box and the fuse box, but still no luck. My next step will be to take the PCM apart and recheck the ribbons... but wanted to see if anyone had this experience and had other suggestions
Old 04-08-2020 | 03:27 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kayze
Purchased the JoyeAuto earlier this year but just got around to installing on my 15 CD this week. After thoroughly reviewing this thread, watching the videos and finally figuring out how to move the orange fiber optic wires I thought I had it completely installed. I have power at the PCM but no sound or video...there is an intermittent sound like it is trying to eject a dvd. I double checked the power connection on the joyeauto box and the fuse box, but still no luck. My next step will be to take the PCM apart and recheck the ribbons... but wanted to see if anyone had this experience and had other suggestions
In one of the installation videos the car owner had problems with the big connector as some of the pins were not seated as well as they should be. You may want to double check that. Have you tried different sources like AM, FM, AUX, etc. The PCM is live and normal looking but no sound?
Kayze (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020 | 03:53 PM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eric. My screen is completely black and it does not turn on, ( no sound/ no video) but I can tell there is power to the unit because I can see a light inside the housing and the noise similar to a DVD ejecting every 10 seconds or so. I saw the video you are referring to and double checked that connection. This will be only be the second time I am taking the unit apart so not discouraged yet . I’ll update after round 2 - checking all ribbons and connections
Old 04-08-2020 | 09:21 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kayze
Thanks Eric. My screen is completely black and it does not turn on, ( no sound/ no video) but I can tell there is power to the unit because I can see a light inside the housing and the noise similar to a DVD ejecting every 10 seconds or so. I saw the video you are referring to and double checked that connection. This will be only be the second time I am taking the unit apart so not discouraged yet . I’ll update after round 2 - checking all ribbons and connections
I think clicking sound is the internal board/relay toggling the screen between PCM and the carplay unit - normally, you can hear that sound when you press the Nav button to toggle the screen between PCM and Carplay or say when the Reverse cam is activated or other such scenarios. If there is a repeated toggle every 10seconds, then something is causing this relay to switch back...

I ran into a similar problem with my carplay unit where the screen would switch to blank screen suddenly. When I pressed the Nav button, it would switch to the Carplay screen for a few seconds and then again toggle back to blank screen. If I used the Nav button to get to the PCM screen, the screen would stay stable but when I set the Carplay screen i observed this pattern of toggling. I thought of loose connections and sprayed contact cleaner on all the contacts before reinstalling (I didnt clean the ribbon cables but the rest of the connections) but system kept toggling. I finally figured out that the problem occurred only when my android phone was nearby. Long story short, when i just had an iPhone (wired or wireless connection), things were stable and fine. I found that things were fine with my android phone too as long as the phone was connected to the carplay unit through the usb-c cable (wired connection) but if the charging cable were disconnected, the android phone would continue to try making contact with the carplay unit wirelessly and the carplay unit didn't seem to like this causing the system to behave unpredictably. I have had no issues since blocking my android wireless connection... so fingers crossed that this resolved the issue for me - the seller never explicitly confirmed wireless android auto support anyway, so maybe that part of their software is buggy...

Other possibilities that i've seen with relays in other electronic circuits (not on the carplay unit) but could be relevant:
- low/ insufficient current or fluctuations in current (even a minor dip) - voltage may be fine but a weak current due to a weak/ discharged battery or too much load on the socket/fuse feeding the circuit controlling the relay - did you plug the red wire with the fuse plug attached to the end into a separate empty fuse socket that is powered? Older models didn't have a fuse plug attached but just a red wire - that wire should still be connected to a separate fuse socket (check that the socket is powered, some sockets are blank)
- loose wires/connectors or corroded contacts: So inspect each connector and wire for any damage/ improper seating + use electronic contact cleaner

I would suggest debugging the video first. Without a video screen working, its difficult to confirm if its the PCM unit connected or the carplay unit. For the carplay unit, AUX has to be turned On but for the PCM unit, you need to be connected to any other source except for AUX.... I didn't have to worry about Optical lines as I had stock audio but if you have Bose/Burmester, then ensure that you still connect the optical lines to the PCM unit (So, the old harness that was initially connected to the PCM unit now connects to the new harness which in turn connects to the PCM unit - the optical lines have to be removed from the old harness and plugged back into the PCM unit once the new harness is connected )
Kayze (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020 | 02:12 PM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. I removed the pcm last night and removed and reattached all ribbons. I then reattached all connections and everything seems to be working. I think my issue was connection in the 48 pin unit and most likely the blue connector since I saw the screen go on once that connection was completed. Anyway, it works hardwired, and i will work on the Bluetooth connection screen setting tonight.
Old 04-10-2020 | 05:30 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I have finally given up on the Joyeauto and taken everything out. After months of not being able to use it because the LVDS cable got damaged due to a very inferior stress relief fitting at the box and having to wait for months for them to send me a replacement cable at my cost. I finally received it and got everything put back in and working????? Except now I lost the backup camera function on the PCM. Oh forgot it only worked when after putting it into drive it would then come on for about 100'. I had to confirm this was a Joyeauto issue by pulling the PCM out again and putting the stock 48 pin plug back in and not patched through their 48 pin assembly. when the PCM was wired stock everything works fine.

This in addition to the Carplay either working or not. It would work sometimes after turning off the car and sometimes it would not. So after about 6 hours of trying everything to get it working the last 3 days I have finally had enough. I'm glad some of you have a system that works for you, but for me it has just been one aggravation after another. So it is back in the box and on the shelf in the garage. If anyone wants a cheap maybe functional Carplay unit, let me know. I'll sell it for a very discounted price. Maybe it will work for someone else.
Thats unfortunate - if you ever try another attempt..
For item 1, assuming you have an OEM camera, did you confirm that the dip-switch 8 was set to ON and all other switches set to OFF? Also, use some electronic contact cleaner on all the old and new connectors before putting it back..
For item 2, I suspect it is the fuse point that you connect the red wire with the fuse plug to. There are two types of fuse points - some are always on and others are on as long as the ignition is on. Depending on the fuse point you plug the red wire into, the carplay unit turns off when ignition is turned off or remains on even if ignition is turned off.
Old 04-17-2020 | 01:01 PM
joshuajj
AutoX

Hello, guys
I purchased and test fitted joyeauto on 2013 cayenne turbo. Everything seems work but when I put gear on reverse, there is guidance but no rear view camera, just blacked out. Checked dip switch 8 was on when I received joyeauto box.
I cycled dip switch 8, nothing happend, tried every single settings in joyeauto settings, not happening. Once I remove fuse (power for joyeauto) rear view works seamlessly. Did anyone have same issue like me? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2020 | 01:32 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joshuajj
Hello, guys
I purchased and test fitted joyeauto on 2013 cayenne turbo. Everything seems work but when I put gear on reverse, there is guidance but no rear view camera, just blacked out. Checked dip switch 8 was on when I received joyeauto box.
I cycled dip switch 8, nothing happend, tried every single settings in joyeauto settings, not happening. Once I remove fuse (power for joyeauto) rear view works seamlessly. Did anyone have same issue like me? Thanks.
I had the exact same problem. I gave up trying to fix it and pulled it out. Since trying to get real time tech support from China that you can understand is futile, I'm now out close to $400. Really seems to be an awful lot of hit or miss success stories with this Joyauto setup

I should have gone with NM Automotive Carplay!

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )