Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:34 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
So it says they make a double din unit and there is an aftermarket double din bracket for our vehicles, but I’m wondering if this will be a plug and play solution. This radio would need to have plug adapters for the 48 pin plug and at least the 5 other potential plugs our current PCM’s use in order to keep all of the original functions like XM, USB, cameras etc.

plus if this is a P car part, you can bet it will be big $$$$.
It's $2K or thereabouts. Also, it would look pretty terrible as DIN is much smaller than the hole our cars have in the dash. The largest screen you can fit in a double din unit is about 6 inches, and our cars have 7 inch screens from the factory. Also, these units were designed for cars that are pre PCM 3.1, so they likely don't have features like lighting options configurable via the display. Our cars already have the 800x480 resolution that CarPlay is optimized for so really the joyeauto or Network (what I have) units seem like the best option here.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:23 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, you guys are talking me into buying one of these systems. So I don't have to read through this 437 post thread... can someone tell me, is the Joyeauto system the consensus best? Is the best price directly through Joyeauto.com? I know everybody is saying installation is a breeze, but it looks like I could have it installed at Best Buy for $99, so I'm leaning that way.

Last edited by PORSCHEJAYHAWK; 04-24-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
OK, you guys are talking me into buying one of these systems. So I don't have to read through this 437 post thread... can someone tell me, is the Joyeauto system the consensus best? Is the best price directly through Joyeauto.com? I know everybody is saying installation is a breeze, but it looks like I could have it installed at Best Buy for $99, so I'm leaning that way.
I have the Joyeauto and I think that any of the Chinese sellers are identical with just different names on them. If I were to do it over again, I would get the more expensive but functionally identical (I believe) system from NM automotive in Great Britain. You will be dealing with a superior service seller who seems to be much easier to deal with. I had a defective cable with my Joyeauto unit and it took 2 months and countless emails and just the language barrier and trying to clarify and constantly repeat what my problem was and how to resolve drove me nuts.

Last edited by Boomer80; 04-26-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:36 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I have the Joyeauto and I think that any of the Chinese sellers are identical with just different names on them. If I were to do it over again, I would get the more expensive but functionally identical (I believe) system from NM automotive in Great Britain. You will be dealing with a superior service seller who seems to be much easier to deal with. I had a defective cable with my Joyeauto unit and it took 2 months and countless emails and just the language barrier and trying to clarify and constantly repeat what my problem was and how to resolve drove me nuts. Plus right now I’m not in the mood to in any way support a Chinese company, but that’s just me.
Troubling motivations aside, there is a South Korean option which is what I went with. Rock solid and good support from naviplus in Australia.
The following users liked this post:
BOLEN (04-29-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 06:50 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Troubling motivations aside, there is a South Korean option which is what I went with. Rock solid and good support from naviplus in Australia.
Troubling Motivations? What does that mean?
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone updated yet?
Old 04-28-2020, 10:02 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
Has anyone updated yet?
I did it today, went ok. Need to reboot the unit and re-pair with your phone before it will pop back into CarPlay model; at least for me.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:15 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it today, went ok. Need to reboot the unit and re-pair with your phone before it will pop back into CarPlay model; at least for me.
joyeauto? And if so, what build are you on?
Old 04-29-2020, 02:25 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the update?
Old 04-29-2020, 03:34 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
I 100% agree that the guys at NM AUTO OR if you’re in the USA call Perzan auto radio in Philadelphia, because they sell them in the USA and globally.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by ziptbm
joyeauto? And if so, what build are you on?
Joyeauto
system version 4.0.0.R8.03/12/20 17:02.85ade73
UI version 25.0.0.4.0.0.12.4
MCU version May172019 15:42:58 V0.1
Old 05-01-2020, 08:06 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Joyeauto
system version 4.0.0.R8.03/12/20 17:02.85ade73
UI version 25.0.0.4.0.0.12.4
MCU version May172019 15:42:58 V0.1
Where did you get the update and are the instructions straight forward? Just insert usb with file, tell it where the file is located, then it goes?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Where did you get the update and are the instructions straight forward? Just insert usb with file, tell it where the file is located, then it goes?
Copy the file to the root of a usb drive and it should see them once you're in the update screen.

https://www.joyeauto.com/support/upgrade/
Passwords
Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*
The following 2 users liked this post by Mirrorslap:
8KaboveMSL (11-24-2021), yobiwan (05-22-2021)
Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm finally going to install the update today. Hopefully it corrects some of the issues I'm having. If it doesn't I'm not sure how much I can really recommend this thing. Which sucks because initially it was functioning great other than occasionally unintentionally calling someone or zooming the map out to Hubble scale because the PCM doesn't realize the inputs are for Carplay not it due to the screen hijack.

Lately the phone and carplay have frequently been struggling to connect, sometimes it finally figures it out after going into the menu and forcing it to try and connect, other times it absolutely will not connect until the carplay is power cycled, it's locked up a few times, the screen has gone black a couple of times, yesterday after streaming music perfectly fine for about an hour I fired up Waze and the audio popped pretty loudly, increased in volume by maybe 25% and sounded like absolute garbage, switched to FM radio and sounds fine, back to carplay and tinny garbage. Then it was fine on the return trip.

At this point if Porsche came out with an updated PCM like they have for the older models I'd pull the trigger on it (provided it wasn't just this thing with a 1000% Porsche markup)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Mike DeStefano
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm finally going to install the update today. Hopefully it corrects some of the issues I'm having. If it doesn't I'm not sure how much I can really recommend this thing. Which sucks because initially it was functioning great other than occasionally unintentionally calling someone or zooming the map out to Hubble scale because the PCM doesn't realize the inputs are for Carplay not it due to the screen hijack.

Lately the phone and carplay have frequently been struggling to connect, sometimes it finally figures it out after going into the menu and forcing it to try and connect, other times it absolutely will not connect until the carplay is power cycled, it's locked up a few times, the screen has gone black a couple of times, yesterday after streaming music perfectly fine for about an hour I fired up Waze and the audio popped pretty loudly, increased in volume by maybe 25% and sounded like absolute garbage, switched to FM radio and sounds fine, back to carplay and tinny garbage. Then it was fine on the return trip.

At this point if Porsche came out with an updated PCM like they have for the older models I'd pull the trigger on it (provided it wasn't just this thing with a 1000% Porsche markup)
I just installed the new update. I’m curious to know if you’ve saw improvements after you performed yours. Without too much time with it it did connect faster - especially after short stops. BUT it did disconnect in mid drive.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )