Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Installed in 2015 CD

Well, first off, thank you to everyone who has come before me, this thread has been invaluable. The information contained herein allowed me to install this correctly, the first time, with no issues (I *think*). Here is a quick summary based on a purchase I made on May 20, 2020.
1) I bought the Joyeauto device on Aliexpress, May 20, from the ZHOYITO Official Store. This is the device: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...71144c4duvkOT6
2) It arrived a couple of weeks later, and I installed yesterday. Total install time from start to finish was about 4 hours.
3) Mine arrived with System Version 4.0.0.R8 (03/12/20).
4) Removal of head unit was uneventful. Trick to removing the aircon vents was placing a small screwdriver in each of the lower clips, and squeezing them towards each other, then gently pulling the vent from the bottom. Popped off cleanly.
5) Opening up the Head unit was exactly as described, just like on the english guy's video:
6) My version came with six extender posts for the daughterboard install. I removed the three existing screws, then screwed together two of the posts, and installed them into the existing screwholes. They fit perfectly. I then placed the daughterboard on top and screwed the screws into the extender posts. I found that the antenna connector for the existing SiriusXM daughterboard pressed up against the underside of the Joyeauto daughterboard. So I tightened the two leftmost screws, but only gently tightened the right screw, because I didn't want too much pressure applied against the cable mount.
7) For the LDS cable, the english guy drilled a bunch of holes. I found it easier to take a pair of tin snips, and simply extend the hole that is right beside the exhaust fan. Cleaned it up with some wire cutters.
8) Closing up the head unit was also very straightforward.
9) For installation into the Cayenne, I chose to run the Mic cable first, and I fished (using a fish tape) the mic through the fabric cover of the steering wheel column, through into the head unit cavity. Took about five mins and was actually pretty easy. My goal was to have the mic poking out of the top corner of the steering wheel shaft. That ended up not working, as I will detail below.
10) For the fuse wire, I fished the tape from the left hand side (driver's) fuse panel, across the steering column cavity, and up into the head unit cavity. Again, fish tape was key to this. When I use fish tape, I electrical tape the hook while starting the fish (so that it's easier to pull back if I hit something and the hook doesn't hang up). When I get the fish tape where I need it to be, I remove the electrical tape, and retape the wire in question to the fish tape hook. That allows me to pull them together through the dashboard. I ended up putting the fuse in socket 49, which is working perfectly. Ended up being a very clean install of that wire.
11) For all of the other module cables, I fished up from below the glovebox (after removing the cover) and into the head unit cavity. This one was the most difficult, as the space was quite small. I ended up doing the power and video cables separately from the mic and audio cables (two separate fishes)
12) I placed the joyeauto module in the space below the glovebox (where the air filter goes), and routed the USB cable through the spare hole next to the 12V socket. The cable just sort of gently hangs out that hole.

Everything worked perfectly the first time. Only problem was that when the steering wheel returned to it's default position, the mic slipped through the fabric covering and fell into the cavity between the left air vent and the steering wheel. By removing the left air vent, I was able to see the mic and cable, and pulled it out. It now sits just below the air vent, and to the left of the temperature gauge. Still works fine for Siri commands in that location

The only thing I have discovered is that the speakers in the rear passenger doors don't seem to be working. This is kind of the same behaviour I noticed with a MOST adapter in my 997, that if you set the fader to the rear speakers, there is no sound.

Has anyone else noticed that the rear door speakers are not working through CarPlay?

Last edited by LittleBitBent; 06-10-2020 at 05:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LittleBitBent:
jadenblack (03-08-2021), mcaleermj (05-19-2022)
Old 06-10-2020, 05:10 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatt
thanks for the reply, I never got the but success screen sadly when I pressed confirm the screen just turned black and stayed like that for more than 10 minutes and since then the carplay is not working just a black screen, reconnected the power cable but still nothing, I’m just trying to find a method to update the software through a computer or something
Sorry for the delay. My screen goes black on update but, has always functioned after power cycling the unit.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:14 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Yup, the 3/20/20 update deleted the Porsche emblem from the main CarPlay screen. Joyeauto must have gotten a ceast and desist letter from Porsche.

sound quality is improved however...
Old 06-10-2020, 05:25 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
Yup, the 3/20/20 update deleted the Porsche emblem from the main CarPlay screen. Joyeauto must have gotten a ceast and desist letter from Porsche.

sound quality is improved however...
interesting. First I’ve heard of the sound quality improvement. Anything else?

trying to decide if worth it since everything works fine with my current build.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

glad you got it all working, I'm still very happy with mine, its had a few glitches, but so does everything...

My brain is a little hazy right now, but when I first installed I remember the fader being reversed, volume what should be front bias was tweaking the rear. I thought that got fixed with a update. I will check and report back on the rear speakers, I'm pretty sure they are working.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:51 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

I mentioned the sound improvement when I installed mine, it's quite noticeable and makes sense. Bluetooth audio is pretty lossy, Apple Airplay is not lossy at all, CarPlay uses both bluetooth for phones and to initiate the connection, but wifi to steam audio.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:52 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

I noticed that both the Siri “sound” and her voice were distorted, almost as if the volume on those particular things was cranked up too high. That disappeared with the update, and it seems to me that the rest of the sound is better as well.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:38 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I updated my Joyeauto unit and now it is acting up. When I turn on the car it never boots up or shows up on the screen. The unit has a blinking blue light on it.

If I unplug the main power connector from the carplay unit and plug it back in then it works just fine but the next time I go to start the car it won't work.

I bought the unit around September 2019 and it didn't come with the fuse wire as part of the harness so I never wired that "ACC" wire. It used to work fine but im wondering if the firmware update changed its shutdown behavior.
It used to turn itself off after a few mins after turning off the key but I think now it doesn't.

How did you wire up the ACC connection? Mine is just a short wire with shrink wrap on the end and part of the harness at the back of the PCM so it would be a pain to get to it now..
Old 06-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I updated my Joyeauto unit and now it is acting up. When I turn on the car it never boots up or shows up on the screen. The unit has a blinking blue light on it.

If I unplug the main power connector from the carplay unit and plug it back in then it works just fine but the next time I go to start the car it won't work.

I bought the unit around September 2019 and it didn't come with the fuse wire as part of the harness so I never wired that "ACC" wire. It used to work fine but im wondering if the firmware update changed its shutdown behavior.
It used to turn itself off after a few mins after turning off the key but I think now it doesn't.

How did you wire up the ACC connection? Mine is just a short wire with shrink wrap on the end and part of the harness at the back of the PCM so it would be a pain to get to it now..
Mine was also the older version without the ACC wire, I also haven't hooked that up and seems to be working fine. I'd try pulling the fuse that powers the PCM, I think its 51? I did that after the update and that made it boot.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:38 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
Mine was also the older version without the ACC wire, I also haven't hooked that up and seems to be working fine. I'd try pulling the fuse that powers the PCM, I think its 51? I did that after the update and that made it boot.
Weird. I just fished it out of my install location and unplugged the main power connector and plugged back in and then it started working, but the screen kind of bugged out switching back and forth from carplay to the factory nav screen. The carplay was still connected and the audio was still working but the screen was intermittent..
I unplugged and plugged again and now it seems to work ok. Im a little concerned that it is so inconsistent though.

I also had a lot of trouble actually getting my phone to pair with the wireless carplay after updating. The wired one works well but don't really want to have to plug it in all the time.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:55 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

I'm pretty sure I read that the ACC wire is only used if you are connecting third party front or rearview cameras (i.e you are using the two yellow RCA plugs)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:59 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

I too had a bit of trouble getting the phone to pair after updating. I ended up "forgetting" the device in my iphone's bluetooth settings, then turning bluetooth off and on, then killing power to the Joyeauto. Upon reboot, I was able to re-pair the phone, but I believe I ended up going through the bluetooth menu on the headunit screen, and making it available. It then found my phone, and I paired it that way (instead of the phone finding the Joyeauto).
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

where is the best location to install the mic?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

I've seen a few options in the thread:
  1. up above in the rearview mirror console, just forward of the sunroof switch, and the customer had the install shop 3d-print a cover for the mike to make it blend in.
  2. in the top right hand corner of the steering wheel column (where the steering wheel comes out) - there is a fabric cover that hides the steering column cavity. I tried that, and ended up having the mic slip back into the cavity. Didn't work so well.
  3. Just below the left a/c vent (to the left of the touchscreen) and down a bit, there is a crease in the molding (about 2.5 cm from the temperature display). When you have the A/C vent out, it's fairly easy to route the cable through the head unit cavity and stick the wire in that crease. I ended up locating the mike there. It's very inconspicuous, and I have no reports of audio echo when I use Carplay to initiate phone calls.

Last edited by LittleBitBent; 06-12-2020 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LittleBitBent:
jadenblack (03-08-2021), qsharif (07-20-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:41 PM
shamrok
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run into a few annoying things. Install went smoothly, but I must have messed up one of the ribbon cables, as the normal PCM screens are discolored about half of the time.

So I was going to pull the whole thing and re-seat all the connections, but I'm tempted to remove the entire thing because ultimately the Aux interface is just garbage. I have the dummy plug (I've tried a number of different types of dummy plugs) plugged into the armrest location and it has to be seated in there just right to get full stereo. Plugged all the way in, I only get sound from the passenger side speakers, so I have to pull it out slightly. If I jiggle it ever so slightly, or even hit a bump, or put a pack of gum back into arm rest in, I intermittently lose sound and it's all stemming (as far as I can tell) from that stupid dummy plug. I absolutely love having the wireless Carplay, but not being able to use the factory bluetooth connection with it for music/podcasts is killing it for me.

Last edited by shamrok; 06-13-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )