Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020 | 11:03 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Boomer, I thought these only work with PCM 3.1 that has a NAVI button. Otherwise it won't work.... does your base radio have that button?
I "think" you can have the PCM 3.1 without Bose. I think the MOST is just used in conjunction with the BOSE system.
Old 02-01-2020 | 01:50 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I "think" you can have the PCM 3.1 without Bose. I think the MOST is just used in conjunction with the BOSE system.
This is correct! Actually I was a little confused when I was installing as I had read about the orange wire plug in the 48 pin connector needing to be moved to the Joyauto connector and I didn’t have any orange wires. This is because I don’t have the MOST as I am running a base non Bose PCM which is a 3.1.
Old 02-02-2020 | 12:51 PM
Hdizzle
Rennlist Member

I ended up the kit ordering from Nick NM Automotive. I had some minor issues getting it installed and working properly, but Nick was super helpful. He was even answering my e-mails on Saturday.

Anyways, it's all up and running now and I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.
Old 02-02-2020 | 06:14 PM
texasspartan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hdizzle
I ended up the kit ordering from Nick NM Automotive. I had some minor issues getting it installed and working properly, but Nick was super helpful. He was even answering my e-mails on Saturday.

Anyways, it's all up and running now and I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.
I'm looking at purchasing from NM Auto as well primarily due to the support I've read that Nick offers. Is the unit any different from the Joyauto that many have used? I assume functionality is the same.
Old 02-03-2020 | 07:44 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Since updating to the most recent iOs I've had a weird issue happen three times now. While listening to music I use the right hand PCM **** to highlight "up next", click it, find the next song I want to listen to, click it, most times it happily plays the selected track every so often though Carplay will promptly call the last person I called instead of playing the song. I've also noticed the "up next" is not always accurate. Anyone else had this? I'm guessing I need to update the Carplay software, I haven't updated it since I installed it a few months ago.
Old 02-04-2020 | 07:54 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hdizzle

I guess if you can't just watch the YouTube video and looking at the wire diagram, then overpay.
Old 02-04-2020 | 10:43 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

I guess if you can't just watch the YouTube video and looking at the wire diagram, then overpay.
Geez. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Considering how multiple people that have sourced this kit themselves have wiring harnesses that don't match the wire diagram and there appear to be at least a few different versions of boards, I can see how someone might see value in having someone ensuring the directions actually match the parts provided and who speaks/types proper English for support.
The following 2 users liked this post by hotrod2448:
Boomer80 (02-04-2020), pdxjim (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020 | 12:35 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Geez. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Considering how multiple people that have sourced this kit themselves have wiring harnesses that don't match the wire diagram and there appear to be at least a few different versions of boards, I can see how someone might see value in having someone ensuring the directions actually match the parts provided and who speaks/types proper English for support.
But don't they charge you like $1000? For the same part they buy from aliexpress..... You have all of us on this forum for support.Yes, few guys ran into issues, but all things considering, the ratio of success to failure is like 50:1
Old 02-04-2020 | 02:07 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

But don't they charge you like $1000? For the same part they buy from aliexpress..... You have all of us on this forum for support.Yes, few guys ran into issues, but all things considering, the ratio of success to failure is like 50:1
His price in USD converts to about $550 plus international shipping and he provides an upgraded mic and the standoffs to keep your sat radio if I remember correctly (roughly $20 in extra stuff). So he's not really charging a huge premium over Alliexpress but, I believe the shipping is pretty expensive and gets the end price up pretty high (I'm sure he also makes some profit off the shipping).

Also, you could argue at least part of the reason the success ratio is so high is because the community learned a lot from forum members purchasing and installing his kit. It's not like everyone knew about buying the thing from Alliexpress and this guy decided to try and make a profit off the community's knowledge. If I recall correctly pretty much all the early adopters used his kit. It wasn't until they started posting about what was involved in it that people then started sourcing it on their own.

I'm with you on not 'needing" his support directly but, if others buy from him either to reward him for doing the leg work or because they feel better having someone they can contact directly with questions and know they will get an intelligible response I don't feel the need to take shots at them over it.

Old 02-08-2020 | 07:25 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

For what its worth, I just finished the joyeauto Apple carplay retrofit.

Install was a "breeze" thanks to the very helpful video from "Autoamateur" (search youtube)

I have a 958.1 GTS, with PCM 3.1

I think the whole thing from removing PCM to figuring out couple of places where i got stuck and eventual install and resolving Bluetooth issue, it took me about 2.5 hours

My cost was $387 via Alibab.com

Happy to answer any questions as everything is fresh in my mind. I am not that technically inclined. Do all basic maint on my cars, never rebuilt and engine or dropped a tranny.. if you can swap memory on a crappy Windows laptop or add a Hard drive, you can do this.
Old 02-09-2020 | 12:20 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
For what its worth, I just finished the joyeauto Apple carplay retrofit.

Install was a "breeze" thanks to the very helpful video from "Autoamateur" (search youtube)

I have a 958.1 GTS, with PCM 3.1

I think the whole thing from removing PCM to figuring out couple of places where i got stuck and eventual install and resolving Bluetooth issue, it took me about 2.5 hours

My cost was $387 via Alibab.com

Happy to answer any questions as everything is fresh in my mind. I am not that technically inclined. Do all basic maint on my cars, never rebuilt and engine or dropped a tranny.. if you can swap memory on a crappy Windows laptop or add a Hard drive, you can do this.
Thanks for the pics! I may do mine tomorrow. This is the video you referenced, it is helpful
Old 02-10-2020 | 09:03 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

As I've noted in previous posts about my trials with this install, I can now post good news but also some new bad news. First off I finally have a fully functioning PCM again. As my original had a motherboard failure and then the screen got smashed when I sent it to Becker Autosound to get it repaired. So I had bought a used PCM off eBay and had it re-coded for my Vehicle Vin. While this got me mostly functional, it did not succeed in getting Bluetooth and Navigation working. Well with the help of a fellow forum member he mentioned that Nick from NM mentioned that Bluetooth has some kind of handshake with the DVD/CD module. So I swapped out my original DVD/CD into the used PCM and while I was at it, I also moved my original Hard drive in to the used one. Well, lo and behold I have everything working like new. I never would have thought that DVD/CD would have anything to do with the Bluetooth functionality.

So now that I have everything working again, I figured "lets get the Joyeauto CarPlay module back in. Unfortunately the repeated install and removal of this unit and all the cabling must have weakened the LVDS cable. The cable at the Joyeauto box just split open and the wires are now exposed and obviously won't work now. I'm hoping that the seller will be able to sell me a new cable.
Old 02-10-2020 | 10:42 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by Boomer80
As I've noted in previous posts about my trials with this install, I can now post good news but also some new bad news. First off I finally have a fully functioning PCM again. As my original had a motherboard failure and then the screen got smashed when I sent it to Becker Autosound to get it repaired. So I had bought a used PCM off eBay and had it re-coded for my Vehicle Vin. While this got me mostly functional, it did not succeed in getting Bluetooth and Navigation working. Well with the help of a fellow forum member he mentioned that Nick from NM mentioned that Bluetooth has some kind of handshake with the DVD/CD module. So I swapped out my original DVD/CD into the used PCM and while I was at it, I also moved my original Hard drive in to the used one. Well, lo and behold I have everything working like new. I never would have thought that DVD/CD would have anything to do with the Bluetooth functionality.

So now that I have everything working again, I figured "lets get the Joyeauto CarPlay module back in. Unfortunately the repeated install and removal of this unit and all the cabling must have weakened the LVDS cable. The cable at the Joyeauto box just split open and the wires are now exposed and obviously won't work now. I'm hoping that the seller will be able to sell me a new cable.
My LVDS cable ended up in a similar state but, I figured I'd roll the dice and send it. It's still working. If you do figure out a path for replacement let me know because the OCD voices in my head won't let me forget about it but, aren't strong enough to motivate me to do much about it.

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Wrapping up the install on mine this AM. I build harnessing for a living so I'm trying not to be too nit picky on the harness but, there are several small things they could do to make life a bit easier with this system. A few things that may help others:
  • The documentation is pretty horrendous and it seems like the system is continuously evolving. You can't rely on the unit you receive to be exactly the same as others documented in this thread or other forums. I ended up reading several different installation threads to get all the details I needed. That lead to bouncing back and forth between these different sources and caused a little confusion. Stupid little things like harness revisions that don't match the naming conventions on the unit or it's directions, some directions say long press the "Info" button others use the "Nav" button, some units have more dip switches than others, etc...
  • My unit has the newer Joyeauto harness with the ACC wire and a separate fuse tap labelled "ACC". I haven't noticed mention of this fuse tap previously. I believe it serves the same function as the ACC wire but, did not verify this with my meter. I have not attached the discreet wire named ACC but, did install the fuse tap and everything seems to be working. My vehicle has a fuse installed in slot 38 in the RS fuse panel as others have referenced using so, I tapped slot 18 also in the RS panel which was open on the diesel. It says it is for a downstream O2 sensor on the other models. It's a 10A circuit that is switched with the ignition. I was having a hard time finding anything else open that wasn't constant power.
  • Make sure you connect the headphone jacks Audio In and Audio Out with the included cable. Not sure why this wasn't just built into the harness. It would have made a cleaner installation. Being impatient I tied the one jack up with the add on camera jacks and had to back track to figure out what I was missing.
  • Definitely power everything up and check it before reinstalling the ducts. They are the worst part of the install.
  • If you chose to remove the glove box for access to run wires be careful to remove the HVAC connection for the heated/cooled glove box. When I was fumbling with the light connector the unit got off balance and started to fall. When it did broke the tabs on the nipple for the air. Sadness.
  • Not sure what the cause was but, last night when I got it all together my PCM screen was working displaying the factory display fine. I then plugged in the carplay unit and got the carplay screen to run but, never could get the OEM screen to come back even after unplugging the car play unit. After cleaning up the crap that leaked out my undies I ripped it all apart and started over. This AM its working properly thank Christ. I don't think I had any issues with the internal connections. Not sure if it's related but, I made it a point to disable bluetooth in the PCM and to select "Aux" before connecting the Carplay this time around.
  • My LVDS cable is a POS. The strain relief on the back of the plug to the box is cracked from removing it and I can see the cable is slipping out of the connector. I made a conscious effort to be careful to pull on the connector shell so, I think it fatigued just from handling the unit during mounting. It is working but, doesn't look long for this world. I'm not going too crazy hiding my instal just yet. I'm going to see if I can source a replacement cable.
  • Unfortunately if/when this LVDS cable does fail I'll basically have to redo the entire installation because there is no connection for it at the back of the unit. It is connected at the board and runs right down to the remote unit which I'm installing in the RS footwell for relative ease of access. So if I ever need to get the PCM out I'll need to fish that cable back out from the RS footwell. A connector at the back of the PCM would be nice.
Questions:
  • Currently I've only used the wired connection. Does anyone have advice/details for setting up the wireless carplay and updating the Joyeauto firmware/software?
  • Does anyone know the part number for the nipple that connects the HVAC to the glove box? I need the part behind the glove box.
Old 02-10-2020 | 08:52 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Just got mine installed. Only thing that’s a bit odd is that the left and right audio channels are reversed. I did not notice that until everything was buttoned up, so I will live with it for a few days. Not sure of the cause just yet. My Bluetooth name is “joyeauto” even through this was purchased from another seller...

Last edited by cbracerx; 02-10-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2020 | 09:16 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Update:

A lingering issue I am still having Is PCM not reading or repeating new texts when using apple car play.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )