Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arachnyd
Even iphones are made in China... But if they are made in China, it's one of the good ones. Last two Chinese head units I bought were awful... Faulty touch screens, poor user interfaces, and other issues.
My point is that Dynavin is also made in China, out of the same province as the other similar looking Chinese made units available for less on eBay. Generally, there is only a single aftermarket mould out there, and it gets branded by different vendors. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but what I'm questioning is whether the product itself is basically the same thing, and Dynavin just added the marketing and support.

Did the last two head units you buy have the same appearance as Dynavin or something completely different?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:47 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Made in China is not necessarily a negative. The concern should be their parts source.

iPhones are mfg. there but the majority of the internal components are sourced elsewhere.
China's share is about $7 labor to assemble.

Lab grade Fluke and Tektronix instrumentation are now mfg. in China and ebay has numerous vendors selling look alike equipment. No way to know if the internal components are identical unless you purchase both and compare.

Last edited by v10rick; 04-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:00 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer_65
My point is that Dynavin is also made in China, out of the same province as the other similar looking Chinese made units available for less on eBay. Generally, there is only a single aftermarket mould out there, and it gets branded by different vendors. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but what I'm questioning is whether the product itself is basically the same thing, and Dynavin just added the marketing and support.

Did the last two head units you buy have the same appearance as Dynavin or something completely different?
The two I bought did not resemble dynavin, and when I bought my dynavin, there were no chinese versions that resembled the dynavin.

I would be interested in seeing if they are the same hardware or a knockoff because the dynavins been around for a while. I bring that up because if you ever look for something like dashcams or similar, one of the things that will drive you crazy is there is often one casing and several brands that look identical, but the internal hardware is completely different. I know the reviews on Jalopnik were talking about that.

Once again I can't speak to one that looks identical to dynavin but isn't dynavin. I did not come across any of those last year when I bought the dynavin. It is possible that they are the same, or they might have different hardware. If the specs are the same, the operating system is the same, then I probably would have gone with the cheaper option! They very well could be the same. The other two I bought were very different.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 AM
MJ23
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It came with a CAM bus interconnect and a MOST bus interconnect. Will connect you 2 channel to the BOSE speakers and amp, keep the steering wheel controls but lose the LED info in the center of the dash. I replaced my amp with a Pioneer unit mounted to the rear seat powered by the old amp connection. Looks like 1.2.0 firmware is also out, I need to update.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Any ideas whether we need to make the updates in order or can skip to the most recent update? My unit is a year or so old and there have been a few updates since I haven't bothered with. The unit seems stable and functioning well, so I didn't want to tempt fate.

Originally Posted by MJ23
It came with a CAM bus interconnect and a MOST bus interconnect. Will connect you 2 channel to the BOSE speakers and amp, keep the steering wheel controls but lose the LED info in the center of the dash. I replaced my amp with a Pioneer unit mounted to the rear seat powered by the old amp connection. Looks like 1.2.0 firmware is also out, I need to update.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Emailed Jeff today and he responded (on a Sunday, yeah Jeff).

He said just update to the latest version. Seems to work fine. I don't see any major differences yet.

Thanks again Jeff for the awesome support.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the install myself and I have logged 1000 miles on this one:

http://www.seicane.com/9-inch-androi...screen-s085688

Works great. I just posted a full review (rather than hijack this thread).
Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

bump

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Has anyone determined whether the Dynavin N MOST adapter would work with other aftermarket head units?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM
bruce000000
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fibre optic loops

I have fitted my Dynavin unit but have a couple of niggles with volume control and occasional loss when using all sources . I have been told that I should fit fibre optic loops to phone, amp and Nav MOST connections . Has anyone else had to do this ?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:20 PM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruce000000
I have fitted my Dynavin unit but have a couple of niggles with volume control and occasional loss when using all sources . I have been told that I should fit fibre optic loops to phone, amp and Nav MOST connections . Has anyone else had to do this ?
Hi when I fitted mine I had to fit a loop to the 2 most connections that plugged into the dvd drive under the drivers seat, this solved my lack of sound issue, I purchased the loops off eBay for about £2
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if this will work with an 03 Cayenne w/the oem bose sound system?
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 AM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had read the topic you would have known the anwer to that question. Yes it will work.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 AM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

[QQUOTE=hanlong;12858618]An update. It happened again after I removed the sd card files and before I replaced the ribbon so for those who see white screen, you might need a new ribbon. I'm going to replace mine and see if the issue goes away.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to bring up an old thread.....
My Dynavin is now having the same symptoms. What size ribbon do I need? Link?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 AM
hanlong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdtzmaru
[QQUOTE=hanlong;12858618]An update. It happened again after I removed the sd card files and before I replaced the ribbon so for those who see white screen, you might need a new ribbon. I'm going to replace mine and see if the issue goes away.
Sorry to bring up an old thread.....
My Dynavin is now having the same symptoms. What size ribbon do I need? Link?[/QUOTE]

You have to ask Jeff from d&t for a replacement ribbon. I don't know the exact size of it.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

So here is my dilemma. I just purchased a 2006 CTTS with the PCM 2.1 DVD based system with a 6 CD exchanger in the trunk. I was able to pull out the Dynavin unit in my 2003 CTT and salvage. My dilemma is do I purchase a Mobridge unit so I have iPod adaptability or just reinstall the Dynavin unit and sell the working PCM in my "new" CTTS? I liked the Dynavin unit in my 2003 CTT but now I am happy with the OEM unit as it has Sat radio, Nav and Bluetooth. I could easily sell the Dynavin unit and recoup some of my losses.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit