Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hanlong,
What kind of backup camera did you end us installing? Do you have a link?

thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://m.ebay.com/itm/15128755606

I ordered this. Will report if/when it works.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Link not working

Hi,

Your ebay link is not active.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
Hi,

Your ebay link is not active.

Try search this item number:

Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Installed the Dynavin last night. Just missing the fakra adapter for the radio antenna. Jeff from http://www.jandtdistributing.com says they were supposed to make it in the box but maybe were left out for whatever reason. It fits great, looks like factory.
First impressions is that it modernizes the cayenne to a much more newer vehicle. The Decker seems like an old 8 track in comparison. There are some functions that are not currently available but will be when the software gets updated. Right away the stereo sounds much better. Mainly because of the amount of freedom you have to adjust the sound. It does make full use of the bose speakers. Bose has their limitations, still have high and low issues but without a doubt sounds better.
Phone via blue tooth works great. I ran a lightning cable to a USB port in the back and plug in my iPhone. So it can be used for phone and music.
I wired up the GPS antenna to the back and routed the wire from behind the stereo to the left just above your feet and up to the A pillar. It's magnetic and it is hidden behind the trim. Seems to have no problem picking up satellites.
There are a ton of options and settings for the navigation. Depending on what you like. So far it seems fairly logical.
I still have yet to receive the back up camera. When i go into reverse it does lower the music and show an image of the vehicle.
If i was critical about the unit i would say that the screen could be a little brighter or less flat color wise. It's not an iPad screen by any means but this is still a huge step up from the original Decker. Here are some pics after the install.
Attached Images      
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

I would like to see Dynavin to enable or update the unit to allow Satellite radio and then I am game.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought this hooked into the factory GPS antenna? Did you have to wire one up because your car didn't have factory nav to start with? How are the ergonomics of it? Do the buttons feel cheap when you push them, or the ***** feel loose when you turn them? It looks great. The font doesn't quite seem to match the rest of the car, but for 800 bucks compared to paying 500+ just for iPhone integration seems like the bargain of the century.

Do you know how the backup cam will get wired up and where it will be mounted?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
SQLGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had any luck with voice readout of street names from the Nav system? I installed the same (N6-PC) unit over the weekend in my wife's 06 S, and it works pretty well (same issue on waiting for the antenna adapter), but none of the voice options will read street names. Naviextras doesn't show the N6 as a supported unit, and their Toolbox doesn't recognize the iGo card that came with the N6.

I have asked Naviextras if there are voice guidance upgrades available, but all they'll say is that they're working on my problem and to be patient. No response from Dynavin at all, and Jeff isn't familiar with the details of the nav system.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
I thought this hooked into the factory GPS antenna? Did you have to wire one up because your car didn't have factory nav to start with? How are the ergonomics of it? Do the buttons feel cheap when you push them, or the ***** feel loose when you turn them? It looks great. The font doesn't quite seem to match the rest of the car, but for 800 bucks compared to paying 500+ just for iPhone integration seems like the bargain of the century.

Do you know how the backup cam will get wired up and where it will be mounted?
I did not have a factory GPS, I had the single DIN becker unit. The buttons feel good. The round ***** seem to be ergonomic, the Porsche ones with the rubber got cruddy after a while. There is some getting used to the player, there are different ways to get to a particular application. i.e. if you want to make a phone call you can go to the home screen and select phone or you can just push the right ****.

Jeff is helping me now get full use of the SD card. Having all my music on that will simplify things.

What i like about the Dynavin Unit is that you can upload various map programs. I have yet to do this but i like that i have options. Maybe Google maps will come out with something that works. For now i am in the same spot as SQLguy. Not being able update the maps. I don't care for the voices, or street names, maybe if i used it, i would.

Went to verizon to see about getting internet connection. They make a USB thing called a novatel or ovation. Anyway they wanted $99 for it plus $20/month and the data i use comes off my plan. I passed. The only road i use has traffic on it from 6am to 8pm. Don't need a computer telling me that. But it would be good for internet radio, although i am sure it would eat up bandwidth.

Back up camera is going to be installed in the back hatch, where the lights are that illuminate the license plate. I will run a yellow video cable to the front of the vehicle. Don't anticipate any issues here. If i need power for the camera i will just take it from the light socket.

The picture is of the screen that shows vehicle information. Dynavin says it isn't active yet and will be in a software update in the future.

I think Dynavin did a great job. For $799 it packs a lot of technology. Maybe slightly ahead of when it should have been released, but i'm sure the company needs to get product out to fund the software development.
Attached Images  

Last edited by seafeye; 07-09-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I don't care about street names, either. And, I much prefer to use my iPhone to control the music rather than have to access the library through the head unit. This goes for any head unit on any car. Plus, I use Pandora, Audible, and Spotify a lot - so it just makes sense to use the phone for that. I also use the nav on my phone when I'm in the city since it's faster, POI is more up to date, and the voice prompts play through the stereo. So, either a BT connection or plugged in - those are my preferred methods for playing music.

Is there info on upload able maps? I guess I don't really know what you mean by that.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

In the mail today i got a backup camera for a touareg and installed it. It didn't quite fit, the holes weren't far enough apart but i was able to get it to stay. The hardest part of this install is running the video cable from the back of the door all the way to the front of the dash. The camera needed 12v from the reverse lights, so i took out the left brake light assembly and cut into the black/blue wire as this is the reverse wire. and the ground. The wire runs from the left tail light up the left D pillar, through the styrofoam (Hatch struts) and down through the panels on the lift gate. Pretty much all the door panels must come off and the left interior piece in the far back. The side and headliner is just pried out enough to get the wire up and out of sight. Then the front A pillar interior trim has to come out and then feed the wire down to around the pedal cluster, then through the back of the radio console. Whew. Only took 4 hours.
You will most likely need lots of zip ties, extra red/brown or black wire, connectors, electrical tape and beer.
After all said and done, here is the finished product. Good job Dynavin. Thanks to Jeff for being on top of it all.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 AM
SQLGuy
Three Wheelin'

On my wife's car I used a wireless backup camera transmitter/receiver pair. It came with the previous GPS that we had from 4ucam.com.

I had to make some mods to the receiver - removed the unneeded mini-USB power pass-through and switched to a phono plug for the video connection. I then plugged it into the Internet USB connection (for power) with a USB to mini-USB cable and plugged in the video and it works great. Only other step was to turn the camera over, since the image was upside-down on the Dynavin.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 PM
TheLAW
7th Gear

Looks good and sounds like a great option....one question though:

I noticed a "TV" button. Has anyone tried to play a DVD in the Dynavin unit (whether stopped or moving)?

LAW
Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
fstick09
6th Gear

I spoke with Jeff today. Units are out of stock, but he expects more in the next couple weeks. I have my credit card ready to go.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 PM
SQLGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheLAW
Looks good and sounds like a great option....one question though:

I noticed a "TV" button. Has anyone tried to play a DVD in the Dynavin unit (whether stopped or moving)?

LAW
Tried a DVD in it yesterday. It played just fine.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit